• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will I like Odyssey if I wasn’t a huge fan of Valhalla?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That is because it wasn't ancient Greece. It was a bastardization of what popular culture thinks ancient Greece was like, ignoring all the historical research, diverse cultures between city-states, and real historical landmarks of its time. Valhalla is also really bad with this, but Origins - somehow - managed to actually attempt to make it as close as they could to what it really was.
Odyssey was also released a year after Origins, while Origins was two full years after Syndicate. Obviously there was development overlap, but I do feel that contributed to the more copy and paste feel of Odyssey

Oberstein

Choose the original, not the copy.

tumblr_o7fr371EGG1ua00gso1_250.gifv

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I loved Odyssey, could not stand Valhalla. The combat is absolute dog water in Valhalla. I don't feel like an assassin...just a brute with a bunch of other brutes beating up stupid AI. The stealth element is all but gone and that really pissed me off. Can't believe this is the fastest selling AC.
...this doesn't make any sense at all, stealth wise valhalla improves on every aspect from odyssey.
It even has guaranteed assassinations like older AC games, which odyssey does not have.
If you are talking about raids, well those are...well raids, but even those can be done with stealth if you want, just park the boat near the camp and then assassinate everyone.
There are also many story missions where the game gives you a choice between going in loud with your allies (with the risk of them getting injured/dying) or going in alone in stealth.

And then there are the distrust areas, where you try to avoid guards and can blend in with crowds, again just like older AC's

I've played it for 90 hours so far, and the raids are a tiny fraction of it, the fact that the game returned with the guaranteed assassinations from older games, means I spent 90% of my time stealth killing enemies.
It also doesn't have those magnetic mercenaries from odyssey, who could easily ruin a stealth attempt on a base.

Headshots actually being headshots and assassinations being guaranteed, means stealth is actually a viable option now; if your level and gear level wasn't high enough, or you didn't have the right engravings, it could literally become impossible to stealth kill enemies in Odyssey.
Heck I went back to odyssey for the true ending/crossover mission, and a bunch of level 70 enemies were impossible to stealth kill without being gear specifically for assassin damage, having the engraving for 100% damage but 25% health cap, and also still require using ability meter for a critical assassinate.
Heck this story mission even added gear that has the engraving for "guaranteed assassinate if gear level is same or higher than enemy", basically finally adding to the game what valhalla has by default.

And really, if you want to be a brute in odyssey, it's far easier to do so with all the wild abilities you get later on. You can basically just run into camps/bases and kill all enemies around you by pressing two buttons, become invincible by using the spear stab ability, and then just kill everyone again by pressing two buttons; infinite dodging also means you can just slow down time forever.
Any "difficult" combat in odyssey was purely because of level gating turning enemies into damage sponges and doing two hit kills.

They are both about 15 hours too long if not more than that. Honestly they are both about the same, with the edge going to Valhalla. If you didn't like Valhalla I can't imagine liking Odyssey. Both become such a chore to play after the 20 hour mark or so. None of the content feels very compelling.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
...this doesn't make any sense at all, stealth wise valhalla improves on every aspect from odyssey.
It even has guaranteed assassinations like older AC games, which odyssey does not have.
If you are talking about raids, well those are...well raids, but even those can be done with stealth if you want, just park the boat near the camp and then assassinate everyone.
There are also many story missions where the game gives you a choice between going in loud with your allies (with the risk of them getting injured/dying) or going in alone in stealth.

And then there are the distrust areas, where you try to avoid guards and can blend in with crowds, again just like older AC's

I've played it for 90 hours so far, and the raids are a tiny fraction of it, the fact that the game returned with the guaranteed assassinations from older games, means I spent 90% of my time stealth killing enemies.
It also doesn't have those magnetic mercenaries from odyssey, who could easily ruin a stealth attempt on a base.

Headshots actually being headshots and assassinations being guaranteed, means stealth is actually a viable option now; if your level and gear level wasn't high enough, or you didn't have the right engravings, it could literally become impossible to stealth kill enemies in Odyssey.
Heck I went back to odyssey for the true ending/crossover mission, and a bunch of level 70 enemies were impossible to stealth kill without being gear specifically for assassin damage, having the engraving for 100% damage but 25% health cap, and also still require using ability meter for a critical assassinate.
Heck this story mission even added gear that has the engraving for "guaranteed assassinate if gear level is same or higher than enemy", basically finally adding to the game what valhalla has by default.

And really, if you want to be a brute in odyssey, it's far easier to do so with all the wild abilities you get later on. You can basically just run into camps/bases and kill all enemies around you by pressing two buttons, become invincible by using the spear stab ability, and then just kill everyone again by pressing two buttons; infinite dodging also means you can just slow down time forever.
Any "difficult" combat in odyssey was purely because of level gating turning enemies into damage sponges and doing two hit kills.
I mean if you say so. I didn't like the abilities in this particular game. I did like the ones from Odyssey. I didn't get too far into the story, I may have played 10-12 hours or so. I don't like the new map system, which for some reason seemed to not acknowledge me changing it in the options. I liked it better when I could pick and choose what I wanted to do. The new system feels like the game is telling you "there's something over here, why don't you go check it out?" rather than the more straight forward style of previous games that told you what kind of activity or treasure you were headed towards. Nothing can convince me that the combat is better than Odyssey though. You have your opinion, I got mine.

With your response though, maybe I can give it another chance. I just don't like how a lot of things you do involved teaming with other npcs. I'm an assassin, I work alone damnit. Admittedly though, AC games have almost always gotten better the more you played. I just had a hard time getting through the sludge of the beginning hours.

I'mma turn on the XSX right now and jump back, simply on your argument. You may have made a viking out me yet.

EDIT: Oh GOD, 66 gig update.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I'mma turn on the XSX right now and jump back, simply on your argument. You may have made a viking out me yet.
If you do, get the advanced assassination ability in the skill tree, this enables the guaranteed assassinations without using the accessibility option toggle.
It only takes 8 skill points to get, so if you've leveled up 4 times (which is pretty much the opening of the game), you can get it right away, for the rest you can just let the game decide your skill points and ignore the skill tree.

GloveSlap

I've been curious about it as well, so i just picked it up for $5 on Epic store a couple days ago. I loved Black Flag, but never finished Origins for some reason (liked it though). I'll probably wait until i can get a new GPU to play though.

Top Bottom