• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo be released on Xbox on the 1 yr anniversary?

Will Deathloop release on Xbox on the 12 month anniversary?

• Yes

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
I heard awhile ago that the contracts that Sony signed with Deathloop and Ghostwire included some clauses that they couldn't launch on Gamepass, and that both games could not have any extra content or performance on the Xbox version when released.
I even messaged Jez Corden with it for him to check out. He missed out by not following it up as he would of scooped everyone.

We are five days away from the 12 month anniversary of its release on PS5, and there has not been one word of a release on Xbox. No leaks of pricing and no leaks of stock getting sent to stores for the physical release. Normally games are shipped before the street date, which there is no word of.
I don't think it's going to release in five days time.
I also don't think it will be on Gamepass.
One of the give-aways that backs up what I heard about the clause around Gamepass is that there it also hasn't been released on PC Gamepass when the game is already out on PC.
If there was no restrictions on Gamepass as a listed exception then it could have been on PC Gamepass.

What say ye?
Will it release in five days time? Does MS owe an explanation if it doesn't?

Banned
I wonder if the deal includes marketing limitations of a full year as well, if so they will announce it that day and release a week later into gamepass...

a shadow drop on the same day could also be in the cards of course.

btw. it can't be said enough, don't play this on console! the controller aiming in this game is atrocious and the game is 10x more enjoyable on PC using a mouse.

Kagey K

Banned
I wonder if the deal includes marketing limitations of a full year as well, if so they will announce it that day and release a week later into gamepass...

btw. it can't be said enough, don't play this on console! the controller aiming in this game is atrocious and the game is 10x more enjoyable on PC using a mouse.

There's a reason why Deathloop came to PS+ in September :messenger_winking:
Lmfao I thought you guys were talking to yourselves until I read the names.

Those avatars messing me up.

Robb

Gold Member
Sure, why not.

Didn’t Ghostwire release this year though (?), I’d assume they’d have to wait until 2023 for that one.

Jaybe

MS should release Deathloop to the platform on the year anniversary. No clue if it hits game pass then. Hopefully they are permitted by Sony’s contract to launch it in game pass. But if not, I don’t see a harm in allowing people to buy the game if they want it. Maybe they can put it on introductory sale for $40 or something. They got to make some revenue back from this Bethesda acquisition at some point. People will get why it’s not in game pass day 1, plus it will make Sony look like an ass to regulators as they are trying to argue that MS is trying to take content away from platforms/services.

Banned
I guess people are waiting to see if it has the same no subscriptions clauses like RE Village had.

MS isn't going to put it on Xbox if it can't go to game pass or people will get upset about the all 1st party games will be day 1 on game pass, regardless of circumstances.

they could just literally go out there and plainly say, sorry Sony prevents us from bringing this to gamepass, I don't think any hate would go towards Microsoft in such a case whatsoever.

as the back and forth between the 2 companies is heating up with the Activision takeover drama I could see them playing into it by doing something likt that.

but I kinda doubt this is even the case tbh.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
they could just literally go out there and plainly say, sorry Sony prevents us from bringing this to gamepass, I don't think any hate would go towards Microsoft in such a case whatsoever.

as the back and forth between the 2 companies is heating up with the Activision takeover drama I could see them playing into it by doing something likt that.

but I kinda doubt this is even the case tbh.
I don't think either of them are really ready to air out thier laundry.

I get things are a bit intense between them right now, but MS doesn't want to play thier hand, and Sony will definitely want to keep it under wraps if some of these contracts are true.

MS needs this deal to close, and Sony doesn't want any more negative press.

As a fan I would love to see it, but realistically both of them are smart enough to shut up right now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
in-bruges-idk.gif

Kagey K

Banned
Maybe. Deathloop came out Sept 14. The last Game Pass announcement said:
They always do a second half of the month announcements. (Which is why I love terrible month posts) as they are always biweekly.

There are likely going to be a couple big announcements from TGS, I just don't know if this is one of them.

MS should release Deathloop to the platform on the year anniversary. No clue if it hits game pass then. Hopefully they are permitted by Sony’s contract to launch it in game pass. But if not, I don’t see a harm in allowing people to buy the game if they want it. Maybe they can put it on introductory sale for $40 or something. They got to make some revenue back from this Bethesda acquisition at some point. People will get why it’s not in game pass day 1, plus it will make Sony look like an ass to regulators as they are trying to argue that MS is trying to take content away from platforms/services.
I think you will find MS won't be able to sell it for anything less than it sold on PS for.
Those Sony contracts are a mother fucker.

Kagey K

Banned
Once the exclusivity period has expired it will release, that's all there is to it. When that is we don't know yet.
The fact is after about 6 weeks the expiration date is already gone on most games. 1 year is just to be dickish.

There is usually a 1 or 2 week cycle where the games make the most money and after that it drops off quick. (With exceptions)

I would think Sony doesn't really want to pay for extra time for first refusal, but in this case they might out of spite.

Darsxx82

Sony has paid for the 1 year exclusivity and also for the exclusivity on PS+.

Deathloop is not going to release on XSeries while MS can't do it day one on Gamepass as well. For that we will have to wait for the exclusivity on PS + to end.

It would be nice if the press sometime mobilized and pressured Sony to publish this information just like it does against MS... but the fear of getting on Sony's famous blacklist is too scary.

T-Cake

Yeah, it seems Deathloop might not be available until 14th September 2023 if Sony have got 1 year exclusivity for Deathloop on PS+. But that seems a bit extreme, I suspect it will be only 3 months and therefore Xbox version will be 14th December? It could be a shadow drop at Geoff's Game Awards.

Last edited:

So much truth here. The input latency on controller for this game is unreal, in my opinion unplayable. Pc is a must for this one.

T-Cake

So much truth here. The input latency on controller for this game is unreal, in my opinion unplayable. Pc is a must for this one.

But we don't know if that's a PS5 thing because of the DualSense features? And Xbox is supposed to have its Dynamic Input Latency. :p

Chukhopops

My guess is it’s not worth it for MS to release it without GP and take a bad PR hit.

Deathloop was a bit of a flop sales wise, selling less than Prey which itself was half of Dishonored. As much as I’d like to try it there isn’t a lot of expectation for the game a year after its initial release.

My guess is it will be added to GP whenever the clause with Sony ends.

draliko

Playing it now on pc but with a controller, game is really fun, level design is over the top for me, also the dub is awesome.

My guess is it’s not worth it for MS to release it without GP and take a bad PR hit.

Deathloop was a bit of a flop sales wise, selling less than Prey which itself was half of Dishonored. As much as I’d like to try it there isn’t a lot of expectation for the game a year after its initial release.

My guess is it will be added to GP whenever the clause with Sony ends.
Most games have their sales window of maximum hype. Sony and MS both know this hence "timed exclusive" contracts.

Top Bottom