• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

will art direction take centre stage as the "wow" factor, once photorealism is achieved? || share your thoughts and screenshots

nkarafo

I find this:

2333_2.png

More visually appealing than this:

screen-2.jpg
I know what you mean but it wouldn't hurt if Scud Race had higher-poly cars that look more realistic, or real time lighting/shadows/ray tracing while still keeping the same colors and wacky level design.

Arguably, Extremely photorealistic tech Demo's On Unreal Engine - not sure anyone would disagree.

What's sad is, if you look at the date on a lot of videos - most of this photorealism
was accomplished over 7 years ago. A team dedicated to photorealism could
deliver something extraordinary - and probably a playable demo within the first year
of starting. Also, people underestimate how quickly photoreal asset's can be created today
in this era - Far quicker than most franchises were made in the past.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Things ceased to amaze me a while ago already. Things obviously technically look better and better, but it's not big enough of a leap to impress me. What makes me open my eyes is great art direction, great use of lighting, and general artistic quality. Basically the difference between a talented artist who devotes his life to his craft vs someone with a cellphone and a filter that makes everything look okayish.

DESTROYA

Don’t really care for photorealism in games and prefer nice looking or visually stylistic every time.
I game to have fun and take a break from reality not relive it through gaming.

Anyways, I think personally most people want that full immersion based photorealistic experience. Even the nay Sayers - but the truth is one just hasn't been delivered. Closest there's been to delivering a consistent amount of photorealism is the very end of Uncharted

And a small small handful of other examples

Most saying they prefer otherwise are seriously suspect as actual gamer's know a photorealistic game has yet to even be delivered!

But the ending of uncharted in terms of environment design/photorealism is seriously impressive as the graphic's actually improved for the ending.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
most people want that full immersion based photorealistic experience.
I personally don't need photorealistic to get immersed in games, in fact most often games with photorealistic graphics breaks my immersion because imperfection stands out waay more and entire illusion just breaks. My bigger problem is often games with realistic graphics will most always going to have boring character designs, enemy design and world design in order to be more "grounded".

This especially true with western developers, as the graphics get more realistic the character designs becomes more dull...
23f6b2d9c4eec2146277b601fa611a31.jpg
bnGxrJm.png

Meanwhile with more stylize visuals you get more interesting character designs, for me at least.
24e85bf104d41c7878867396e1f4ce9e.jpg
Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Wallpaper-Aerith-Tifa-Siliconera-4.jpg

Last edited:
That would be the problem most people have with "Photoreal" games - but these game's plainly are not in actuality photorealistic - Marbles is the closest we have to a photorealistic game and just a small portion of the asset's break the feeling of immersion - in reality a game that is truly photorealistic would not have these issues/bad assets that break immersion.

We just don't in actuality have a photorealistic game - the closest on offer is the marbles demo and those apartment walkthrough a the asset's are typically meticulous.

asocirev

While I personally find myself drawn towards unique art direction more and more, I think there will be a healthy balance of both. One won’t replace the other.

Astral Dog

Art and Tech go hand in hand, Art direction has evolved alongside hardware generations and i don't think thats gonna stop anytime soon.

But sure, hypothetically if tech advancements and budget weren't a thing art styles would stand out even more.

Lethal01

Anyways, I think personally most people want that full immersion based photorealistic experience.

Nah, I think the Final Fantasy remake was gorgeous but I'd still prefer if the game and it's characters looked like this
finalfantasy7_conceptart_k16z2.jpg

But in 3D where it looked like a beautiful 2d painting from every angle.
I take beautiful stylized art over this any day.

I don't hate realism. I'm just saying that while I will enjoy a realistic games I'd enjoy most of them 10x more if they looked Like this
n46b0cqb6ya01.png

or this
13-sentinels-3.jpg

or this
Guilty-Gear-Strive-Faust-Siliconera.jpg

or even this
Mega-Man-Legends-2.jpg

The problem is, nothing - even you example - was a full immersion photorealistic experience - I've broken down exactly the sample you've cited on reddit as not completely photoreal during the first person demonstration.

Eitherway, Most people - does not mean everyone. Everyone can't actually be a gamer that want's what's best for the industry graphically. And graphic's are not art style.

Within this thread I cite exactly why the example you cited fail's to maintain immersion.
And even cite reason's the official demonstration break's in immersion.

With that said, you aren't a gamer that actually want's the graphic's industry to improve -

Most however are, and do want photorealism.

What I notice about Anime fan's are, they typically stay together - and approach thread's in group's voicing the desire for less graphically.

Actual Gamer's are the exact counter opposite. They want the best graphic's possible, delivered across games that mean to achieve photorealism and or are stylized to be completely non photoreal.

Photorealism is again, I state - A product in gaming which has still not been successfully delivered as no reviewer has yet said "Not once did I think I was looking at a game".

Rurhanograthul 2 points 1 year ago*

Given that these are in fact the only sources of photo-realism we've had up until quixel demo'd Rebirth - (which if you notice, there is an immediate disassociation with immersion as soon as they demonstrate these highres assets in realtime using a character camera to walk around the environment - the caliber of the assets drop in quality dramatically - opposed to the above referenced demo which retains photo-realism given the same factor, a character camera) it will be a opensource community effort to in fact catalyze a trend towards immersion.

I will clarify right now by saying yes there may be about 3 or 4 minor improvements that artists cannot largely achieve without making great sacrifices to performance.
But be aware that never before the last 7 years with the correct hardware - have artists been able to say "Ok I can literally make this game look as good as I want, but expect performance issues"
Before that, it was always - "no, we can not achieve this level or realism"
That truth has only come to fruition in about the last half decade realistically for this generation of consoles.
Before this - Artists would essentially think along the lines of "Well I can't achieve photorealism even with a substantial performance drop but I will forgo performance to at least attempt to make the game feel next gen"
This is no longer the case, and in fact most performance issues now too can be sidestepped with the right techniques and optimizations.
We will see an era in photo-realism, where people will say "WOW that game was basically completely photo-realistic! Aside from 'insert segment here' and 'insert 3 or 4 other segments here' it almost kept me fully emerged"
Once you see these types of comments factoring into the critique of games that are meant to be photo-realistic showcases - understand that any citation, citing that in fact immersion was lost due to a particular scene, during any part of the user experience...
Understand this break in immersion was a calculated decision that could have been averted were the art team committed to resolve all breaks in immersion.
As a CGI artist, the improvements I most want to see are more work done towards animations, more animations... more animations

Lethal01

Within this thread I cite exactly why the example you cited fail's to maintain immersion.
And even cite reason's the official demonstration break's in immersion.

With that said, you aren't a gamer that actually want's the graphic's industry to improve -

Most however are, and do want photorealism.

What I notice about Anime fan's are, they typically stay together - and approach thread's in group's voicing the desire for less graphically.

Actual Gamer's are the exact counter opposite. They want the best graphic's possible, delivered across games that mean to achieve photorealism and or are stylized to be completely non photoreal.

Photorealism is again, I state - A product in gaming which has still not been successfully delivered as no reviewer has yet said "Not once did I think I was looking at a game".

https://www.neogaf.com/javascript:void(0)

Who are you talking to? your last few posts seem like they were adressed to nobody.
That said I agree that no game is even close to what I would consider photorealism and we are decades away from diminishing returns.
And I like photorealistic 3d art. Hell, I make it for a living.

However I just loved stylized art many times more. Tons of people will also prefer it.

Even if we could achieve something like this in realtime with the PS5 I would still prefer something that looked like Genshin Impact or Astral Chain.

Last edited:
Who are you talking to? your last few posts seem like they were adressed to nobody.
That said I agree that no game is even close to what I would consider photorealism and we are decades away from diminishing returns.
And I like photorealistic 3d art. Hell, I make it for a living.

However I just loved stylized art many times more. Tons of people will also prefer it.

Even if we could achieve something like this in realtime with the PS5 I would still prefer something that looked like Genshin Impact or Astral Chain.

The 2 people just above my reply. Quote and reply function's are a bit aloof on here unfortunately and you can't tell if a quote has established if you hit reply before hand.

We are not decades away from a completely immersive photorealistic game - we are - however... at the will of the developer. And Developer's may (probably wont) meander with the current art styles ad infinite. Just the gain's seen in the latest demonstration's are nothing we could have not see on last gen hardware - though performance issues would arise.

If a company wanted to within the next decade achieve complete photorealism -without diminishing return's - it could be accomplished within 10 year's (possibly 3-5 years if a team set out dedicated to that task) according to my extensive work in CGI. The examples I've given demonstrate photorealism can be obtained in modest amount's now, though no developer has strived to actually deliver a photorealistic game.

I personally, would prefer fantastically wild completely photorealistic games over game that nurture artstyles more currently. Graphics at least measuring up to part's of the latest Fable trailer as a baseline.

And most would agree. Which is why the Elder Scrolls VI, The next Horizon, The next Hellblade - are working to deliver a photorealistic form of fantastical game - opposed to BOTW which is a very simple to create art style. Particularly when I mention that photoreal asset's are also easily created within 3 hours to a day.

I would much rather see one of these companies (and again most would) completely deliver on photorealism though it remains to be seen if that was in fact their end goal.
However once a developer makes that the end goal, it will be accomplished.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

5jhnepvmacs51.png

Photorealistic Mario with RTX ON

made me laugh, thought you might appreciate it in conjunction with our own discussion :D

HoodWinked

probably not look at movies, we still mainly watch live action stuff and animated films like the stuff from laika with some of the best art design barely break even.

Saruhashi

Banned
It would probably depend on the costs and time required to make the so-called photorealistic games.

I think having a strong art direction from the start can allow developers to focus more on the game itself rather than plowing resources into getting the graphics right but then the game is too shallow so it's all for nothing in the end.

There seems to be a very strong desire for games to basically become like interactive movies and so "photorealism" becomes highly desired because then its more like a movie that you control.

I'd prefer to see more distinctive art styles since that's an area where games can stand out as their own thing rather than just desperately trying to be like movies or HBO series.

Top Bottom