• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii FPS Analysis: The Conduit - A REAL FPS ON THE Wii!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I'm this close to putting you on ignore

Michael Scott No GIF

Sad Puss In Boots GIF

Amory

Damn, I remember all the hype around that game. I couldn't wait for it to come out.

Imagine! An FPS........on the Wii?!?!?!?

Never even bought it lol

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I played this game and the controls were amazing, especially compared to the rather rough attempts that were CoD 3 and the first Red Steel. It just felt good to play. The graphics were also really nice.
Sadly, the game that was built around those mechanics is rather mediocre. The level design is often poor with repeating assets or small corridors, there are exceptions though, but in general very mixed.
Respawning enemies and generally unfair enemy placements are also really annoying.
The multiplayer was fun but riddled with hackers/cheaters.

All in all, I had fun with this game, but I see it as a massive waste of potential. Conduit 2 did some things better, but also some things worse, so I can't really say it was an all-around improvement. Conduit 2 plays worse in my opinion. The first one reminded me of Halo, while Conduit 2's additions made it more like Call of Duty.

I give HVS a lot of credit for the impressive engine they've built (they should've licensed it out to others), but I don't think they are great at making good games. Tournament of Legends was another graphically impressive game from them with mediocre gameplay (although Conduit is definitely better than that game).

btw. keep on doing those videos on Wii FPS OP. Especially interested in Red Steel 1 and 2. The first one was trash IMO, but the second one is easily among the best games on Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimboJones

I remember being impressed with what they could do with the Wii hardware and their control customization was good too, I don't think many Wii games allowed you to play around with the bounding box like that.

Zuzu

I'm currently on my first play through of this game and I'm enjoying it so far. It makes me want a successor to the Wii. I'd love to see a next-gen Wii with PS4 Pro level graphics and modern tracking technology which can track the controllers with similar accuracy to the Oculus Quest 2 (and both the nunchuck and pointer are wireless and not tethered to one another). That'd be awesome.

Last edited:
I’ve recently played this on my crt and it’s honestly pretty fun with good technical graphics for Wii. Feels like perfect dark mixed with halo It feels satisfying to just aim and shoot.

It’s not a masterpiece but it doesn’t deserve the dogging.

Wii ir pointing makes this game and I frequently lament how we are still stuck with dual analog on console.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I’ve recently played this on my crt and it’s honestly pretty fun with good technical graphics for Wii. Feels like perfect dark mixed with halo It feels satisfying to just aim and shoot.

It’s not a masterpiece but it doesn’t deserve the dogging.

Wii ir pointing makes this game and I frequently lament how we are still stuck with dual analog on console.
Good feelings about this

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, it needed a while for developers to figure it out. The original Red Steel didn't control really well.

To be fair, it needed a while for developers to figure it out. The original Red Steel didn't control really well.
Sure, red steel 1 was hot garbage. Medal of honor heroes 2 was a vast improvement and the conduit's customization further improved things. Call of duty reflex worked well too though the framerate was shit and it looked ass lol.

When PlayStation first came out with dual analog nobody knew wtf they were doing either, not until halo 1 I believe.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

I was beyond hyped for this game. The multiplayer had potential and I liked the puzzles in the original game..but the 1st was average. The 2nd was much better..but the disappointment from the first game really hurt the second one.

I was beyond hyped for this game. The multiplayer had potential and I liked the puzzles in the original game..but the 1st was average. The 2nd was much better..but the disappointment from the first game really hurt the second one.
The 2nd is more fun to play I would say, and it looks even better. But I wasn't a huge fan of the duke lite characters and preferred the first in that regard. I honestly had 0 disappointment in the first game and was just happy a developer gave a shit lol.

Some of you cats probably remember the grinder high voltage was working on, I was interested in that as well haha

RaptorGTA

The 2nd is more fun to play I would say, and it looks even better. But I wasn't a huge fan of the duke lite characters and preferred the first in that regard. I honestly had 0 disappointment in the first game and was just happy a developer gave a shit lol.

Some of you cats probably remember the grinder high voltage was working on, I was interested in that as well haha
Yea, was really hyped for the Grinder as well. High Voltage seemed like they were gonna be the next Bungie. The main disappointment for me with Conduit 1 was the online play. If I recall correctly the online was ok with 4 or 6 people playing..but if it got to 8 then it was really laggy. The second game performed much better.

I'd totally buy both games on the switch if they were released.

Top Bottom