• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wich song or band did you discover playing a game ?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good Burger Reading GIF

😛

No idee. First time hearing about this LDAC haha.. And I'm using a cheap sony headphone so no worries from my end lol.

LDAC is a Sony bluetooth tech, licensed to others as well, that makes music quality up to 990kbps instead of regular mp3 maxing out at 320kbps, which is near official CD quality (1,100-1,400kbps).

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
La Mer by Coba. It stood out for some reason when I'd play Suikoden 4. The funniest part about this is that I tolerated this song being someone who really loathes music with accordion.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City had a bunch of music that I knew from when I was a kid. 80's pop and rock was still played on the radio when I was little because it was, at that point, still contemporary. One song kind of caught my attention one day, and I couldn't say why.

"Cumin' Atcha Live" by Tesla

The truth is, I don't particularly like that song, but one day it struck me somehow and I looked up Tesla. I had heard of Tesla, but I didn't know any of their songs. YouTube quickly showed me this, which is a much better song than Cumin' Atcha Live:

Modern Day Cowboy

Now that is a badass song. Having heard that, I went out and bough their first album, which had more cool songs on it, songs like "EZ Cum EZ Go"

"2 Late 4 Love"

and "Changes"

Besides that, somewhere in case insert it said something to the effect of "this album is meant to be listened to LOUD!" I read that, chuckled to my self about baby boomers and their nonsense, and ignored it for years. Then one summer day I was driving in my car with the music turned way up, an this song came on:

"Cover Queen"

That song is one from Mechanical Resonance that I never particularly liked, but listening to it really loud on bigger speakers, and suddenly it came to life. It's way more dynamic that way, and instead of sounding like some cheesey 80's song about "I like sluts, but I want them to be clean sluts!" it actually conveyed the the idea of sex appeal that it was supposed to. It went from a so so song with crappy lyrics to a fully realized composition that projected actual feelings to the listener. If you've got a real stereo setup (not just tiny computer speakers or headphones) I challenge you to crank that song up, and tell me whether or not it's actually better that way.

After buying that album, Tesla went from being an also ran 80's metal band that I knew nothing about to being one of my favorite bands.
07cd4ac05772dae937a85464926f8315e413c888.gifv
324953c18178fd67578bc487096eb31718ef41b1.gifv

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Ain't no Rest for the Wicked - by Cage the Elephant from Borderlands
In Maidjan - by Heilung from the Hellblade Senua's Saga trailer

Rest

still plays in my head

That song is called Tubthumping.

Oh and of course Borderlands gave me this banger.

This dude doing a vocal impression of Jack White has been the most irritating thing on the radio for the last ten years. I had no idea that this was Cage the Elephant.

Last edited:

Rest

Weird, right - since it's supposedly the most iconic video game song of all time

Most iconic video game song? It's not the Snakeeater theme.

Between Guitar Hero/Rock Band and games like Tony Hawk/Madden I probably discovered a large chunk of my current favorite music. Choosing one that is more unknown I'd say MX Unleashed showed me a song I can't imagine I ever would've heard otherwise

Downfall - Trust Company

The way that started I thought it was Dead Cell

Last edited:

Rest

Both from Housemarq's excellent Transworld Snowboarding.
Apulanta

The Apex Theory

This is one of those song that I saw the video for one time on TheBox Network before MTV bough it and took it off the air. It's such a cool song, but it never got played on the radio.

Dreamworks Records was trying really hard to get their bands exposure through video games. Besides Transworld, a really low res copy of the music video for this song was included with the Minority Report game.
GMWE52.png

There's a blurb on the box about it being on there. I wish someone had uploaded the low res version to YouTube, because it is so bad. So, so bad. But, it reminded me that this song existed. It was years between the one time I heard it originally and the the one time I watched the crappy version of the video crammed onto a GameCube disc, and I immediately remembered it. It's a shame that song didn't get wider exposure.

Everything DreamWorks was doing ended up being for naught, that record label collapsed after just a few years. They really cast a wide net, I first heard of Alien Ant Farm when their cover of Smooth Criminal was on WWF Tough Enough. There was a version of the music video with a bunch of wrestling clips in it, that also doesn't seem to have made it onto YouTube. The got Alien Ant Farm's music into Sean Palmer's Pro Snowboarder, Tony Hawk 3, and I think DreamWorks is the reason the song Dark In Here was in the 2005 Punisher game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I just realized I discovered Stabbing Westward when I was younger because of Duke Nukem Time To Kill. I only really cared for that album, but hey, it was still neat, lol.

MetalRain

Reminds me of the music from X-Men 2 for the Genesis.

I've never played on Genesis, but I do like that kind of dirty noisy quality in music. I kind of associate it to 2010 videos about floppy drive music like this, but obviously it's originated way before, maybe 50's or 60's.

Rest

I've never played on Genesis, but I do like that kind of dirty noisy quality in music. I kind of associate it to 2010 videos about floppy drive music like this, but obviously it's originated way before, maybe 50's or 60's.
The strangest thing to me about the X-Men 2 sound track is that it's the grungy techno music, and it was all written by the guy who wrote this:

Once you know it, you can hear the similarities, but it's a completely different tone.

Also that floppy drive thing is fucking hilarious. Who would even think of that? Somehow, I don't think John Williams would be pleased.

Last edited:

Rest

We shouldn't forget about music games either. The first music game that I played was Guitar Hero III. I had missed out on the entire guitar hero craze, but when the third game came out, for some reason my brother bought it. I watched him play for a bit, and then suddenly Tom Morello popped out of nowhere.

Now that's a sign of a cool game.

6oSVKT.gif

That was enough to sell me on the game, and I started playing it soon after that. Playing Guitar Hero, I heard a great song for the first time, "Mississippi Queen."

It's the perfect song if you need more cowbell

Alm304J.gif

I thought that was pretty badass, so I went out to find the album it came from. I didn't quite find it, but instead I found a compilation called "On Top," and soon learned that the cover on Guitar Hero was pretty garbage compared to the original.

Mountain also has a bunch of other great songs, like "Thumbsucker"

and "Silver Paper"

We all know the story of Guitar Hero and its downfall, but while Bobby Nodick was working his plan to drive that franchise into the ground, a different kind of game was being developed. One that had you play the guitar instead of pretend to play the guitar. That game would introduce people to more new bands in the process of teaching them to play guitar, and in Rocksmith 2014 Edition, one of those bands was Red Fang with "Wires"

Tell me that's not a monster track? But there's more! Like Versus Them with "Impossible Dreams"

and Bedowyn with "Snarling of Beasts"

Kadve

Gackt From playing Dirge Of Cerberus

Also on a very obscure note. Concrete society from playing the 2009 Bionic commando remake (yes, i did buy it). The funny thing though is that song just plays on a random radio you find in a level with no attention driven to it whatsoever. And no other song by them is featured in the game.

teezzy

Banned
NHL games during that 07 to 10 range had great songs from bands I never heard of before. Airborne band is awesome. Bought their CD.

They're still pretty good. NHL 22 has a terrific OST. Better than Madden's for me because it's rock music and I'm not really a rap guy

Something about hockey game soundtracks are just fantastic 👌

NHL Hitz 2002 still has my favorite licensed OST ever though

Rest

Andrew WK's other guitarist is a musical genius, he's been the creative force behind a bunch bands.
Dave Pino:

This lead me to this podcast

Which I'd never heard before. That lead me to another band this guy was in:

Graveyard Barbecue - Cheat on the Church

Rest

And apparently Graveyard BBQ has an updated version of that song, so once again:

Graveyard Barbecue - Cheat on the Church

It's like every time I look up Dave Pino I find more awesome music.

Not the game itself, but this trailer introduced me to Richard Swift. Loved the song and went down the rabbit hole. He's a great artist.

Goalus

Chvrches - Clearest Blue
while playing Forza Horizon 3.
Classy front lady with a lovely voice by the way.

Edit:
And Forza Horizon 2 introduced me to this song:

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
I was already developing taste and interest in music at my age by the time we had songs in games.
That and most of the times the featured bands are some of the most known in their own genre.

/hipster

I was already developing taste and interest in music at my age by the time we had songs in games.
That and most of the times the featured bands are some of the most known in their own genre.

/hipster
What's that have to do with anything here?

I was born in 79 btw

Banned
Chvrches - Clearest Blue
while playing Forza Horizon 3.
Classy front lady with a lovely voice by the way.

Chvrches in general is a band I almost exclusively got exposed to by games. first in Mirror's Edge Catalyst and then in Forza Horizon 3
made me get into Synth Pop more too. Usually I'm more of a Prog guy

also, we need more bright/clean cyberpunk games!

Last edited:

RedPyramidHead

Gold Member
Sleeping Dogs was where I first heard Blood Red Shoes, I have since bought all of their albums and am always looking forward to whatever they put out. Gem and the Deadheads - Automatic Response is another song in the game that I think is great and never heard before.

The Rock Band series exposed me to a bunch of different bands and songs, and also got me to check out some great deep cut songs from groups I was already somewhat familiar with like The Jimi Hendrix Experience thanks to the game having full album DLC. Here are some songs from lesser known bands in the game series that I ended up liking a lot: Yomp, Kitty Fight Song, Gravis Venter, Sons and Daughters, Database Corrupted, Something Bigger, Something Brighter, Time We Had, and a butt ton more.

FIFA 13 got me into Ladyhawke. The song was also in Sleeping Dogs, but I'm pretty sure I played FIFA first. I went on to buy Ladyhawke's first and second albums after checking out more her stuff.

Road Rash 3D on the PS1 got me into The Tea Party with their songs Temptation and Babylon.

I freaking love B'z - Into Free -Dangan- from Dragon's Dogma, I think I knew of B'z before this game, but I definitely didn't know the original version of the song.

Audren - Dark Stone Will Shine from Darkstone is a great song, currently checking out some of her other songs on Spotify right now and sadly pretty meh so far.

ahtlas7

Composer:
Michael McCann:
Deus Ex, HR was the first experience and now he has a lot more credits.
I put the games down long ago but I still listen to the music. He’s a top pick in my Apple Music play list.

Song:
Bullets, CP2077 teaser, 9 freaking years ago

Last edited:
Top Bottom