• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wich song or band did you discover playing a game ?

"Fascination" by David Bowie. It was in one of the radio stations in Grand Theft Auto IV. Up until that point, I was only acquainted with his Ziggy Stardust era stuff. But Fascination is awesome and one of my favorite songs of his to this very day.

Banned
Poets of the Fall in Alan Wake. Amazing stuff imo. They are still doing it in games like Control as well.

yeah same. but I got into their music further back through Max Payne 2.

another one was Fahrenheit, where there are 3 songs by the band Theory of a Deadman playable on the CD player innyour apartment

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Rock band and guitar hero put me on so any songs. It's nothing like pretending to play guitar to make you appreciate it done well.

Guns and roses, Chicago, Stone Temple Pilots, Coheed and Cambria, Dragon force (lol) and more I can't think of.

Those guitar games and Tony hawk really put me on a large amount of music I wouldn’t have heard otherwise.

saintjules

I know of Oakenfold's work for years and a few before this remix came out. Glad he's supported some of my stuff. Anyway, I heard this one for the first time during my time with SSX.

Immediately fell in love with this one when I heard about it in Death Stranding.

Last edited:

lem0n

The Mars Volta is my favorite band now and I found them through a Guitar Hero game.

I found Bloc Party in PGR4

I found Mastodon thanks to Saints Row

I discovered synthwave thanks to Hotline Miami, and it's still in my daily rotation.

I could go on and on... games are the main way I discover music.

lem0n

"Fascination" by David Bowie. It was in one of the radio stations in Grand Theft Auto IV. Up until that point, I was only acquainted with his Ziggy Stardust era stuff. But Fascination is awesome and one of my favorite songs of his to this very day.
I was always happy to hear this one come on the radio. One of my favorite songs in the game

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it strange no one mentioned Utada Hikaru from Kingdom Hearts?

and I started listening to her religiously

Weird, right - since it's supposedly the most iconic video game song of all time

yeah same. but I got into their music further back through Max Payne 2.

another one was Fahrenheit, where there are 3 songs by the band Theory of a Deadman playable on the CD player innyour apartment

I forgot about Max Payne. That’s actually the first time I heard the Poets, but then I was reminded of them in Alan Wake.

Between Guitar Hero/Rock Band and games like Tony Hawk/Madden I probably discovered a large chunk of my current favorite music. Choosing one that is more unknown I'd say MX Unleashed showed me a song I can't imagine I ever would've heard otherwise

Downfall - Trust Company

Banned
I didn't discover them through the game, but I discovered that I liked them through the game...

the game being Brütal Legend and the band being Dimmu Borgir.
back in the day I wasn't into the more extreme metal genres like black or death metal, but over time I got more and more into that stuff, and this was no small contributer to that:

Last edited:
Band: Smashmouth
Track: All Star

Game: Splashdown
Platform: PS2

I loved this game. Spent hours playing it and just loved the track 'All Star by Smashmouth'

plashdown PS2 Gameplay HD

splashdown-video-game-b820878d-8004-4060-9c05-63c2127d1e4-resize-750.jpeg

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder - Spineshank - "New Disease"

Rest

Grand Theft Auto Vice City - Autograph - "Turn Up the Radio"

Rest

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater always has awesome music.
200w.gif

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 - Three Inches of Blood - "Deadly Sinners"

Metal masterpiece. Went perfectly with the New Orleans level

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Papa Roach - "Blood Brothers"

Always went well with the school level

And I don't think this song has appeared anywhere else

Black Planet ft. Alley Life - "Out with the Old"

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Never knew I needed Rob Zombie in my life until I heard Super Beast in Twisted Metal 3.
Became a fan almost immediately.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Vice City and San Andreas
For songs, no doubt. I found it interesting how a lot of radio stations in real life started playing those songs after the games were released. lol. Didn't mind it though, they had some great tracks in there.

Ovek

7Member7
Sandpaper Kisses by Martina Topley-Bird in Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. That entire game had a balling soundtrack.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Loaded - Pop will eat itself..

Wipeout 2097 - Chemical brothers (Being from the UK I was more into prodigy at the time, but these geezers were putting bangers out too, it took Wipeout to make me realise.

NikuNashi

Already been mentioned immediately but it's Motorhead from Tony Hawk's PS2 (can't remember which vrs it was). Just mindlessly skating around listening to Ace Of Spades was so good.

Top Bottom