• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wich song or band did you discover playing a game ?

Epik High fly
I discovered this Korean song when I was playing fifa 2007 16 years ago

That's the video clip
it's kind long
But the song 🎵 is so catchy and beautiful imo

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Recently, a band that was created just for the new Guardians of the Galaxy game. A few highlights:

It's way better than it has any right to be, and actually got me to purchase the game after a listen to the full OST.

Yeah played it recently and those are some quality picks! Lots of other great, classic music tracks there as well. The game itself was good, more like 8/10 to me.

Josemayuste

The Evil Within, Claude Debussy Clair de lune:

Death Stranding, Low Roar Don't be so serious:

To name a few, there's loads more.

Banned
The Evil Within, Claude Debussy Clair de lune

wait what? how did you only discover that through Evil Within? that is one of the most overused pieces of classical music ever lol

if you dodged it until you played that game, that's some Matrix shit right there 😅
Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

Fluke... who contributed to the awesome WipEout 2097 soundtrack, which I bought on CD as it was so good. Still is. They also contributed the superb Absurd, in instrumental format, to the N64 version of NFL Quarterback 99.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Jim Guthrie comes to mind with amazing Sword and Sorcery EP soundtrack.
Amazing soundtrack
The ost is tremendous with a few songs that were not on the game (when we grow old / when we are old or something is so good)
nickelback - believe it or not ( Flatout 2) Dont kill me.. i was just a kid back then

(This is how you remind me) I had quite shitty taste in music when I was a teenager too ;)
I discovered The Chain Gang of 1974, while playing FIFA 12. Specifically, this song. Even now it reminds me of FIFA 12 transfer windows.

that should be another topic : « which game ruined a song for you » 😅 I guess for me it might be fifa too an old one with the Blur song you could hear everywhere (song 2 )

Belthazar

Bump of Chicken through Tales of the Abyss. They're actually really good and their work go way beyond the typical anime OST.

Here's the song from TotA:

Here are a few of my favorites from them:

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Gymnopedie No 1, Erik Satie: Persona 2 (Velvet Room). I remember it took me like a year to track down the name of the song. Yes, it's a song you probably have heard over and over again, but the title made it hardtotrack down, and of course no lyrics to research. No mention of it in the instruction manual. Probably not mentioned in the end credits either. I think I came across someone discussing it on a message board and got lucky. If only Shazam existed back then, but I didn't have a smart phone anyway, lol.

Last edited:
E-Rotic from Dance Dance Revolution 3rd mix. Love the group so damn much. "oh nick please not so quick", "Do it all night" and "Turn me on" are just a few of their classics among many legendary tracks :messenger_sunglasses:

Laptop1991

I remember owning The Who It's Hard album as a young teen in the 80's, it got slated at the time, so i only played it once, then 20 years later i was playing GTA San Andreas and the song Eminence Front was on the radio player, and i thought i like that, it was on the album i never played again, so music in games does work sometimes.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Max Payne 2 got me into Poets of the Fall

Sonic Frontiers got me in One OK Rock

I cant even begin to name the random bands that the GTA's have gotten me into..Les Saavy Fav from GTA4 is the first that comes to mind though

Last edited:
Good ol Madden '03, '04, '05 were the best for this sort of thing.

The most iconic instance to me personally is cruising down the mountain in SSX3 blasting "Way Away" by Yellowcard. Unbelievable experience. New games will never return to that feeling.

Muffdraul

Len - Steal My Sunshine has been my summer jam ever since I played Jet Set Radio Future in 2002. Yet somehow I can't confirm it was actually in the game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I discovered lots of songs through video games but rarely ever bothered checking the band's entire discography. Here are the bands that I actually started listening to religiously after hearing them in a video game.

Poets of The Fall is probably my favourite band that I discovered through a video game, and the game was Max Payne 2:

After that there is Pop Will Eat Itself, through the PS1 game LOADED:

(the whole soundtrack to that game is fantastic, by the way, not just those licensed songs)

Rob Zombie through Nightmare Creatures 2:

And finally, probably the most obscure one, E-Z Rollers through GTA 2 main menu music, lol:

The whole album where this song comes from is a fucking banger if you're into drum & bass, especially Tough At The Top:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Pretty sure I discovered The Offspring from Crazy Taxi.

I also saw them live last weekend and it was awesome.

Top Bottom