• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you should play Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire | RTWP Redemption; Turn Based option; epic character customization.

Thoughts on this game?

• Looks good, thanks! I'll play it.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Looks good, thanks!

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Sorry, Deckard, I can't stay a while...

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

mcz117chief

When Icewind Dale released I remember a reviewer not comparing it to Baldurs Gate but to Diablo 2. It's a really intricate hack & slash. I wish there was controller support for it on PC.
なに?

No, it isn't. It is literally just like Baldur's Gate except there is very little dialogue and much more dungeoneering and fighting in general but the core gameplay is exactly the same, the same engine, same rule-set etc. playing it on a controller would be nightmarish, having to organize 6 characters, their skills, healing, attacks, positioning etc.

Last edited:

DJT123

なに?

No, it isn't. It is literally just like Baldur's Gate except there is very little dialogue and much more dungeoneering and fighting in general but the core gameplay is exactly the same, the same engine, same rule-set etc. playing it on a controller would be nightmarish, having to organize 6 characters, their skills, healing, attacks, positioning etc.
There's very little story and no characterization at all compared to the other Infinity Engine games. At its heart it's a hack and slash RPG, but yes it's an Infinity Engine game, and I love all of them.

I know these kind of games can work extremely well with a controller. Party auto-follows when you use the left stick, you lock/unlock individual characters if you have to send them out alone, etc. The only problem is that combat has to be turn-based for things to work properly.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Thanks for the recommendation.

I never played Baldur's gate or Icewind nor any other games like that. However, I started playing Divinity a few months back and got hooked. Looking for other games like this (which weren't Divinity 2) I came across Pillars of Eternity and it caught my attention so I put in the wishlist. At the time Pathfinder was part of the monthly humble bundle so I have that in my library now.

Since then a few things have changed (more importantly I got addicted to Warhammer again) so I haven't come back to these games. If I was unsure of wanting to play Pillars of Eternity 2 now I'm convinced thanks to your thread.

Now the goal is to play it before Cyberpunk comes out.

Tschumi

I tried so hard to get in to this but unless I missed something, there's no explanation of combat. It just is a damn crazy ass free for all. What am I supposed to be doing? Also, it runs like pure ass for some reason on my PC. The ship combat was really ...weird too.
Ah.. you're meant to pause it with the space bar continuously, seeing how things are going and making adjustments

Tschumi

Thanks for the recommendation.

I never played Baldur's gate or Icewind nor any other games like that. However, I started playing Divinity a few months back and got hooked. Looking for other games like this (which weren't Divinity 2) I came across Pillars of Eternity and it caught my attention so I put in the wishlist. At the time Pathfinder was part of the monthly humble bundle so I have that in my library now.

Since then a few things have changed (more importantly I got addicted to Warhammer again) so I haven't come back to these games. If I was unsure of wanting to play Pillars of Eternity 2 now I'm convinced thanks to your thread.

Now the goal is to play it before Cyberpunk comes out.
I'm glad to hear it. PoE the first is a great game, I'll just mention that deadfire is a slightly more refined experience (i should add that knowing how to play it is important to enjoying it, maybe)

Tschumi

Fuck off with that retarded attitude.
i think you've overreacted mate, i wasn't employing any attitude... the games are based on baldur's gate and similar games, they're all PC games... there's a lot of clicking involved and a lot of windows etc... I'm just saying I can't imagine how awkward it must be trying to navigate such a complex UI etc without a mouse.. I wasn't trying to shit on consoles or anything, just saying if you have a PC that can play deadfire, and you like this genre, i recommend it be played there.. no attitude, i promise

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The game play fine with a controller. It’s the loading that’s painful which should be fixed by just being on a ps5 / XsX

DarkestHour

Banned
Ah.. you're meant to pause it with the space bar continuously, seeing how things are going and making adjustments

So let it go full auto and then if the computer isn't playing the way I think it should play then I should intervene? I guess that's what I can't get in to with the game.

Tschumi

So let it go full auto and then if the computer isn't playing the way I think it should play then I should intervene? I guess that's what I can't get in to with the game.
The computer isn't really meant to play at all. You can program it to use ai, that's legit, but yeah ideally you micro manage it. You have to program that ai for it to behave like you want~

Nymphae

Banned
Really nice OP, I wanted to know more about this without watching YT videos on it. I have the first one but haven't played it yet.

Top Bottom