• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Watch Dogs 2 is ditching Aiden Pearce:a story of youth,racial profiling,hacktivis

Strike

Pearce was a bland and generic protagonist of a by-the-numbers revenge story. They didn't really need an explanation.

That doesn't exclude them from doing research. No one is asking them to draw from a personal experience only.

I wasn't talking about the developers.

Gotta say, for a forum that is constantly harping about inclusion and diversity, there seems alot of shitty attitudes about how gaming characters should look like, act like and sound like.

Im looking forward to when this game launches and a bunch of posters claiming they "can't identify" with the characters in this game, as if that is some barometer of quailty.

I wasn't talking about the developers.

Gotta say, for a forum that is constantly harping about inclusion and diversity, there seems alot of shitty attitudes about how gaming characters should look like, act like and sound like.

Im looking forward to when this game launches and a bunch of posters claiming they "can't identify" with the characters in this game, as if that is some barometer of quailty.

Oh, I see. By bad.

But honestly, as a black male, I'm hoping they do right by this game. I'm really fearful of people of dubious quality dipping their hands into important issues, moreso when it relates to me. This kind of thing needs to be handled properly, and I'll wait until the final product before making a final call either way regardless.

sjay1994

I look forward to Watch_Dogs: Revelations where they bring Aiden back and try to retcon him to be more interesting and likeable.

On the entire player motivation vs character motivation argument, I agree. Even though a non lethal option is present, it feels like it should be the only way the game is played based on what they are conveying Marcus's motivations and characteristics are. Its always been a problem I've had with the non lethal option games present, as it is usually a "you get a good ending/higher score" mechanic and not actually something directly weaved into the game. In open world games especially, having the option makes no sense when it seems like it is "the right" way to play. Example, MGSV. You have a huge arsenal of weapons you can develop whenever you recruit members to Mother Base, but in order to do that you need to non lethally neutralize enemies, so you can then add them to R&D so they make better things for you, but why give the player lethal options when it is more beneficial to play the game non lethally?

Its a problem a lot of games recently seem to have are tonally inconsistent mechanics with the narrative. The best example I can think of is the Tomb Raider reboot, where Lara is grieving over her first kill, and then immediately guns down 5 more guys. Another would be dishonored, where players are basically locked out of a bunch of mechanics and abilities if they want to pursue a "non-lethal" run in order to get the "good ending".

It sounds petty considering I am complaining about how people play the game, but I feel it lowers a games identity when "play it however you want" becomes ingrained in the philosophy of its design, because some methods are clearly better than others, so why the game didn't revolve around the sensible or better mechanic never gels with me.

jdstorm

Banned
No, it's the games business because the developers believed that being able to go against the story is more important than the story. If the devs want to make a story about a guy who was falsely accused of a crime, you can't allow people to do (likely) worse shit than what he was accused of. Either have that story and make it a linear game, with no lethal options, or don't make the motivation for the character something that falls apart the second I can drive on a sidewalk and mow people down.

I disagree because that's just the starting point. If a character was falsely accused of a crime when they did nothing wrong they could easily just say screw it I'm getting blamed anyway and do all sorts of terrible things.

Think Minority Report starring Tom cruise.

You're missing my point... My point was that the game takes place in America and it's being made by French Canadians. Their interpretation of how Americans actually dress is way off.

After having read the Watch_Dogs reveal thread, I sure wouldn't place any confidence in US GAF's interpretation of how American youth actually dress, either.

MUnited83

For you.
It's unfortunate that the story and characters in this game look like they're going to be just as bad as the first, just in a different way. It's like old people trying to make a game about what they think young hacker kids are like.

You also gotta look at it from the perspective of French-Canadian developers making a game about what they think Americans are like. They couldn't be more wrong... I've never seen anyone in America walking around with a studded vest and mask.
Uh, guys, you do realize they arent trying to depict a actual realistic depiction of actual hackers, right? Their exagerated stylistic choices are very much on purpose.

MartyStu

Uh, guys, you do realize they arent trying to depict a actual realistic depiction of actual hackers, right? Their exagerated stylistic choices are very much on purpose.

Are you telling me that Solid Snake is not indicative of an American soldier? Or Laura Croft of archaeologists?

Lime

I want this game to go in hard on gentrification, Silicon Valley's whiteness, racism and police brutality.

Also, a BlackLivesMatter narrative or explicit appreciation would be nice. Or at least some recognition of the activism in Oakland.

Wiped89

Before everyone jumps on Watch Dogs, don't forget that every single Grand Theft Auto game has had a different main character. And GTA seems to do okay.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So they recently commented on what Marcus's personality is like

What can you tell us about Marcus Holloway that we don’t already know?

Marcus goes by the handle Retr0 due to his love for the classics: classic hip hop and R&B, classic electronics and old-school hacking culture. He’s a big fan of the scene’s legends. He’s also into ancient horror and science fiction movies, which clicks very well with [hacking collective] DedSec.

Muffdraul

Before everyone jumps on Watch Dogs, don't forget that every single Grand Theft Auto game has had a different main character. And GTA seems to do okay.

But GTA already had this character.

sa_artwork_5.jpg

Top Bottom