• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why there aren't so many games with co-op mode?

base

Banned
Hi,

Been playing games since the NES era, so I got some experience during the years. I've been wondering lately, why both developers aren't making any games (or just a few) with co-op mode. It was an awesome feature with NES/SNES. Playing multiplayer games just doesn't feel the same IMO. My cousin and I wanted to play something together some time ago but all we thought interesting was FIFA or A Way Out. There so much potential here but no one wants to invest their money and people. I just don't get it.

Your thoughts on this matter?

Hi,

Been playing games since the NES era, so I got some experience during the years. I've been wondering lately, why both developers aren't making any games (or just a few) with co-op mode. It was an awesome feature with NES/SNES. Playing multiplayer games just doesn't feel the same IMO. My cousin and I wanted to play something together some time ago but all we thought interesting was FIFA or A Way Out. There so much potential here but no one wants to invest their money and people. I just don't get it.

Apparently kids don't have siblings anymore, and households are reduced to 1 person per property.... It doesn't make sense. Just pure greed of companies wanting to sell you a console and display per person.

It sucks on games that have no reason to NOT have local split screen.

Tschumi

i love co-op, it's impossible for me to play halo:ce on higher difficulty settings without the added motivation of problem solving with a buddy. Totally with you.

Split screen, too.

I actually tend to think co-op and split screen are, like, peak ideal console experiences... sitting with a buddy within swiping distance on a livingroom floor enjoying a game together with distinct controllers - the main advantage over pc...

online is great and it's definitely opened up multiplayer exponentially, but yeah I tilt towards both modes a lot.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Apparently kids don't have siblings anymore, and households are reduced to 1 person per property.... It doesn't make sense. Just pure greed of companies wanting to sell you a console and display per person.

It sucks on games that have no reason to NOT have local split screen.

The worst thing is, there's rarely Co op in online gaming neither. You can play pvp or some shitty pve mode just fine, but Co op is often overlooked for some reason.

Kuranghi

I wish there was more but its probably because the biggest games became more narrative driven and they want to tell you a story and it feels against what coop is to have to constrain the players somehow to then present said story to them.

FStubbs

Hi,

The Wii was the last console that really had co-op as philosophy.

_Ex_

Because market demographics say that everyone only plays multiplayer games online. Which may be true if that's the ONLY option.

Yeah, it's very disappointing. Couch co-op is awesome, at least we got it in many beat-em ups and Diablo III for example. Dragon's Crown is so much fun in co-op.

playXray

I agree to a point, but I do feel like things have got a lot better (still not great though) over the last generation or so. There was a time during the PS360 generation where it felt like co-op gaming (particularly local) was going to disappear completely.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Because market demographics say that everyone only plays multiplayer games online. Which may be true if that's the ONLY option.
This is why I found google stadia’s way of fixing couch co op to be very intriguing and even though the product isn’t doing so well publicly, it should be one important idea other platforms should utilize:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Most people prefer to play with others in full fledged multiplayer games.
Playing campaigns coop is only fun for so long. I get it in racing games and fighters though.
Also the ultimate goal of every console manufacturer is that you buy your own console rather than sharing with another person.

Last edited:
I mean, how else can you make more money if your game allows more than one person to play a game for a single price?

1 game. Make it online only. No co-op.

What do you get more?

More people buying the game just so they can play together.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Josef Fares's are amazing coop games. A Way Out was janky but a unique and very fun experience.

Top Bottom