• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The True Start Of The Xbox Series X|S Generation Is Now | The Wait For Xbox Exclusives Is Over

yeah i want you to explain that, you telling me i can pay 1 month and have access to games on gamepass forever? how can you access gamepass without paying tell me and i'll go sub right now

You need to be more specific. You told me to stop paying for a month, and see if I still can play my games. I've successfully done this for 2-3 years because I've always paid for the whole year. So in order for me to lose access to my game pass subscription I'd have to stop paying for a whole year.

In fact, my first entry into Game Pass was an entire year + free of charge courtesy of Microsoft when I was at their E3 press conference (Xbox Fanfest). Different employees literally handed me multiple year passes. I wasn't the only one either, everybody got them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not paying the monthly fee for just whatever I happen to be playing at the time or for the month, I'm paying the low monthly fee for access to 100% of the game pass library, and for brand new games and day one big releases that don't ever add to my cost.

At some point down the line Game Pass' price may increase. It has once already when they offered the Ultimate plan. But that's okay because Ultimate came with much appreciated added benefits over the regular subscription, such as access to both xbox and PC versions of all game pass titles, and an EA Play subscription for free. We also get acces to Xcloud for free with Ultimate. It's a killer package from where I'm sitting.

Sure.....and that access costs $10 to $15. Not free. I'm not questioning your enjoyment of the service. You clearly love it and that is fine. But it isn't free and Microsoft doesn't charge "per game" so referencing the service in those terms doesn't work.

Fredrik

Of course it’s not free. Netflix isn’t free. Apple Arcade isn’t free. PS Now isn’t free.

The thing with Gamepass is that you’re getting lots of high budget games day 1 for what is essentially the cost of a nice pizza. Or half a pizza if you take the prepaid route. When The Ascent drops in a few days I’ll just press install and start gaming without paying a cent extra, same thing when Forza Horizon 5 drops, and Halo Infinite, because I’ve already paid for everything that’ll come to Gamepass until 2024.
The real cost, if I spread it out, is roughly $5/month.

Sure.....and that access costs $10 to $15. Not free. I'm not questioning your enjoyment of the service. You clearly love it and that is fine. But it isn't free and Microsoft doesn't charge "per game" so referencing the service in those terms doesn't work.

You're right, they don't charge per game... which is what makes it such an amazing service because they're giving us all their new games the same day they release for the console at no increased cost. That is fucking awesome.

Can you just imagine if we had shit like this back in the snes, sega genesis, dreamcast, ps2 days and the company doing it could sustain it? You guys remember the sega channel!? Use to go to a friend's house where we played basketball all the time just to experience. Damn thing was amazing, and blew me away. Sega was totally ahead of the game. Game Pass reminds me of Sega Channel hitting its full potential.

reinking

Gold Member
I know some people will never accept it, but for just $10-$15 per month, without any type of price increase, yes, that indeed does make any and all new game additions effectively free. Want to tell all Game Pass Ultimate subscribers we had to pay for EA Play when it was added at no additional cost? I mean, you could, but it wouldn't be accurate. Access to an EA Play subscription with full access to the vault of games was given to Game Pass Ultimate Subscribers 100% free of additional charge.

What surprises me often about effects to downplay Xbox Game Pass is that the very people doing so are no doubt likely Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ or Hulu subscribers, or at the very least are taking advantage of something eerily similar. Go ahead and tell me how I've somehow had to individually pay for every episode of invincible I've watched on Amazon Prime Video, or how I've paid for every episode of WandaVision or Loki on Disney+ that I've binge watched, or how my access to HBO Max (which comes courtesy of my Verizon Fios Cable Package) is somehow costing me extra to have when it's a free perk of something I was already paying for for years. With Xbox Game Pass Ultimate I pay a one-time monthly fee, that doesn't ever increase regardless of how many new games are added, to have full access to all existing and new games on the service. And yes, so long as a game is still present on Game Pass, I actually do own it as well as every other game included, because that's what I'm paying for, access to a games subscription service.

Short version Yes, new games are added completely free all the time. And, yes, an Xbox Game Pass subscription does represent full game ownership. Telling people they don't own anything on game pass is like telling people they don't own their house because they pay a mortgage, or that they don't own the internet or cell phone service they're using because they have to pay monthly to keep it active.
You do not seem to understand the difference between ownership and service. At no point does a Game Pass subscription represent ownership but at least you backed that up by providing examples of other services you do not own.

As for your "free" theory. You are not paying for the number of games. You are paying for a subscription service that provides access to games. Microsoft does not charge on a per game basis so It doesn't matter if it is one game or one million games. You are simply paying to access whatever games are available during the period of time you are subscribed. You can speak about value all you want and I will agree with that but no, by definition, a subscription service that you pay for is not free.

Topher

Gold Member
You're right, they don't charge per game... which is what makes it such an amazing service because they're giving us all their new games the same day they release for the console at no increased cost. That is fucking awesome.

Can you just imagine if we had shit like this back in the snes, sega genesis, dreamcast, ps2 days and the company doing it could sustain it? You guys remember the sega channel!? Use to go to a friend's house where we played basketball all the time just to experience. Damn thing was amazing, and blew me away. Sega was totally ahead of the game. Game Pass reminds me of Sega Channel hitting its full potential.

Yep. Sega Channel was awesome. I think it was $50 a month, but you got pretty much the entire game library.

Have you looked into Microsoft Rewards for paying for your Game pass subscription? That's the way to go, imo.

Of course it’s not free. Netflix isn’t free. Apple Arcade isn’t free. PS Now isn’t free.

The thing with Gamepass is that you’re getting lots of high budget games day 1 for what is essentially the cost of a nice pizza. Or half a pizza if you take the prepaid route. When The Ascent drops in a few days I’ll just press install and start gaming without paying a cent extra, same thing when Forza Horizon 5 drops, and Halo Infinite, because I’ve already paid for everything that’ll come to Gamepass until 2024.
The real cost, if I spread it out, is roughly $5/month.

And this is what I'm saying. I'm being silly when I claim it's free, but I'm just trying to make this simple point here. I'll gladly spend $15 per month if I have to in order to be literally bombarded with more games than I can even play in a year, because obviously I'm a busy person and work my ass off. It's the convenience of it. The ability to at a whim just be like "I feel like playing that random new game that just dropped" Knowing you don't have to spend a single dollar to go try it out, or even play it for days, weeks or months till you finish it is an amazing level of freedom.

That feeling is an incredible feeling. I'm 36 right now. I always said to myself that when I got older, I would never lose sight of the things I loved as a kid, that I would still be me, just with bills and more responsibilities. Game Pass is what I wished I could do inside a blockbuster. I literally had dreams about having a badass gamer setup in the back of a blockbuster video with the ability to play whatever game I wanted, whenever I wanted, for as long as I wanted. Game Pass is gives me that experience in my house.

Yep. Sega Channel was awesome. I think it was $50 a month, but you got pretty much the entire game library.

Have you looked into Microsoft Rewards for paying for your Game pass subscription? That's the way to go, imo.

I'm pretty locked in for a while, but I'll look into just for fun.

I got really excited when the Ascent downloaded this morning and let me know the preload was done.I got some good games to play so far this summer and more wlil be coming over the next few weeks and continue over the next few months
I'm happy

kretos

Banned
So in order for me to lose access to my game pass subscription I'd have to stop paying for a whole year.

so it's not free, no pay = no access

5Sf.gif

Mine is good until like April 2023 lol, but I still do the bing search thing and I've beaten some of the games on there since I padded my subscription and I cash in those points too. Once you get to playing the games and doing the little quests in the app it pays for itself, and my wifes coffee lol

Topher

Gold Member

Build up those points and you'll have several months paid for when your current subscription expires. I'm nearly at 35k points which would pay for 3 months. I spend a few minutes each day and get around 400 per day. That's around 12000 points a month which is exactly what Game Pass Ultimate would require for a single month.

You do not seem to understand the difference between ownership and service. At no point does a Game Pass subscription represent ownership but at least you backed that up by providing examples of other services you do not own.

As for your "free" theory. You are not paying for the number of games. You are paying for a subscription service that provides access to games. Microsoft does not charge on a per game basis so It doesn't matter if it is one game or one million games. You are simply paying to access whatever games are available during the period of time you are subscribed. You can speak about value all you want and I will agree with that but no, by definition, a subscription service that you pay for is not free.

I don't literally think it's free. I was just stirring the pot lol. The thing for me is before Microsoft got Bethesda Game Pass already looked like a great deal that I would gladly pay for, but after Bethesda, and with the upcoming lineup of games, suddenly Game Pass' permanent lineup of games that will never leave the service because they are under Microsoft ownership, has me drooling with excitement in a fashion unprecedented in gaming history for me.

Seriously, look at this lineup.

Psychonauts 2
Forza Horizon 5
Grounded
Flight Simulator
Everwild
Doublefine confirmed a next gen game
There is another project in the early phases at Obsidian.
Halo Infinite
Starfield
Fable
Perfect Dark
Hellblade 2
Forza Motorsport
Doom next gen
Indiana Jones
Avowed
Elder Scrolls 6
Redfall
Contraband
Deathloop
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Everwild
whatever coalition is working on
whatever inxile is working on
whatever zenimax online is working on
the rumored IO interactive RPG

And the backwards compatibility lineup is of course stellar covering everything Bethesda has, every Halo game, the EA Play library, xcloud included free... This plus what we don't know about yet is the new permanent lineup for Game Pass. This is crazy.. I'll be trying to play through and beat these games for years to come.

Last edited:

Fredrik

And this is what I'm saying. I'm being silly when I claim it's free, but I'm just trying to make this simple point here. I'll gladly spend $15 per month if I have to in order to be literally bombarded with more games than I can even play in a year, because obviously I'm a busy person and work my ass off. It's the convenience of it. The ability to at a whim just be like "I feel like playing that random new game that just dropped" Knowing you don't have to spend a single dollar to go try it out, or even play it for days, weeks or months till you finish it is an amazing level of freedom.

That feeling is an incredible feeling. I'm 36 right now. I always said to myself that when I got older, I would never lose sight of the things I loved as a kid, that I would still be me, just with bills and more responsibilities. Game Pass is what I wished I could do inside a blockbuster. I literally had dreams about having a badass gamer setup in the back of a blockbuster video with the ability to play whatever game I wanted, whenever I wanted, for as long as I wanted. Game Pass is gives me that experience in my house.
I get you but you need to stop saying it’s free when it’s not, even if you’re just being silly. It’s a dangerous way of thinking. It’s just a subscription. You’re still paying. Quite a bit over time really.

During the 360 gen I had some fun and added up the monthly costs for the Xbox Live Gold subscription over the generation, 7 years, and compared it to the real free online gaming on PS3.

Owning PS3 ended up costing less than owning the 360… Yet people made fun of the $599 price point for PS3…

That’s how subscriptions work. It adds up over time. It can still be worth it depending on how much you use it but it’s important to know that you actually don’t own anything at all in end, you’re just paying to have access to the content as long as you’re paying. Kinda like PS+ games, Stadia Pro games, a leased car, Netflix movies, etc. Once you end the sub you’re left with nothing at all except less money on the bank.

No.

Starts with Flight simulator on July 27th.

No game comes even in close to Flight simulator on technical level and graphics.

But for real gamers who care about games and not graphics, for them it starts with Ascent nd all.

yeah flight sim looks great but i couldnt care less about it. after the novelty of the graphics wears off, it'll be boring as shit. it also already released on pc. im talking about the first awesome new game to hit series x and thats forza horizon 5.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Second half of 2021 is indeed looking very good for Xbox imo. A lot of good stuff on the way and most of it available on GamePass, which is just fantastic!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Solid end to the year for Xbox Game Studios; Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo.

I do wonder what their 2022 line up will look like though. Everwild, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Fable and Gears 5 will all be 2023/2024 games and beyond. Starfield and Forza Motorsport would be ok as 2022 tentpole releases. but they really need a few more releases next year. I’d be surprised if Redfall does hit next year.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have the ascent on preorder and i'm probably gonna love it, but for console war forum discussions the gen for xbox is gonna start when they are gonna release big triple A games with 4-6 months cadence, not before.

I think it's gonna really start with the forza-halo combo.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah its one thing making a thread because of an article from IGN, or an article from some games journo, but we dont need these threads from some random clueless youtuber.
We may as well make threads for every thought we users have on here.
Really?! Because usually ign articles are trash and only worth as comedy material in here except for the nx dude.

The "Xbox has no Games" story ends this July. Xbox will release a continous stream of exclusive games and 3rd party games in Gamepass. Xbox will also bring more technologies, features, back compat games and new studio acquisitions to the table. And we discuss today why the true next Gen starts this July!

At least give us your take on the video why it is interesting enough to make a thread on.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
yeah i want you to explain that, you telling me i can pay 1 month and have access to games on gamepass forever? how can you access gamepass without paying tell me and i'll go sub right now
Yeah I don't believe that, I remember as soon as I went offline it wouldn't let me play FH4 anymore. I highly doubt it let him play after he unsubscribed

It's been pretty obvious that playstation has had a great first half of the year.... More so then xbox.

Is it really that hard for PS gamers to admit the second half for the xbox is pretty good (even if you don't enoy those particular games)
Microsoft rewards. I don't recommend it though. Quite a grind.
I do this pretty casually and claim the 1month gamepass about every 1.5 months
to admit that it will be the other way around for the second half?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Ok I'll try

paying $120-$180 a year

cost $120-$180 a year?

wZ00LmL.gif
I will teach you how free it is. Forza is 60$. Halo is 60$. Xbox live is 60$. Total is 180$.

The rest is free. Because you would have bought the game regardless. You are only paying it in a monthly fees. But the point stands.

Any game outside of these 2 is free for you. Its equivalent of buying 2 ps4 games, and ps+. Then getting everything that is on the service for free.

kikii

Ascent
Flight Sim
Forza
Halo

Not a bad second half after a lame first half. They are gonna be competing against Sony who will have Deathloop and Kena. But most importantly, they will finally have some AAA games and next gen only games on the XSX.

Next year is going to be even better. Good luck to them.
isnt Halo and FH5 on xone aswell ? :p so theres no "only on next gen" ^^

BlackTron

Telling people they don't own anything on game pass is like telling people they don't own their house because they pay a mortgage, or that they don't own the internet or cell phone service they're using because they have to pay monthly to keep it active.
They actually would not own the house, the bank owns it. And how can you own a service? In both of your examples, ownership is really not the right word to use, even in everyday parlance.

What you have purchased is a temporary license to access the games. If you buy a ticket to go to a theme park/carnival, you've paid for temporary access to all of the rides and attractions until your license expires. You would not imply that you own all of the rides during that period. A better analogy than a mortgage would be renting. Because at least with a mortgage you will eventually own it. When you rent, you are paying for monthly access with no ownership in sight, like Gamepass.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
They paid 180$ upfront, then say, they paid 1$. Its too funny with these guys.

The point of gamepass is managing your money. Spending 180$ at once defeats that purpose. Yes, you will get 2 free years, but that would also mean, you are stuck to the service.
The value in the service is subjective. If you find no value in it, then don’t sub. At first, because I no longer wanted to play or didn’t want to play most titles they offered, I avoided it.

With games under 1st party coming soon that I want to play, it’s a good long term rental service. If, after a game leaves Gamepass I still want to own it, by then, the game should be reasonably discounted.

It isn’t free for the service or the games it includes. It is a cost effective way to help a gamer play many games that they do include without additional cost as long as the game remains in the service for an active subscriber.

Some Games will not be included in the service and so, players will still be buying games in addition to the service outside of those they want to own after playing them through the service.

For those that one time got three years for the cost of one, that is either two free years for the cost of one or a lower per month cost for three.

As for being stuck to the service.. If a person subbed, they wanted the service. The thing is, if it isn’t for the after the initial sub, they aren’t going to be forced to actually use it. I’m not sure how one is “stuck” with it. It’s not like a used car someone bought that keeps breaking down after the lemon law or return period is over. Also, it’s $180. That’s not a massive investment.

just my opinion… and … I do own both consoles sub to PS+ and sub to Gamepass and mostly play on PlayStation because most of my friends play on there. No favoritism here.

kingfey

Banned
The value in the service is subjective. If you find no value in it, then don’t sub. At first, because I no longer wanted to play or didn’t want to play most titles they offered, I avoided it.

With games under 1st party coming soon that I want to play, it’s a good long term rental service. If, after a game leaves Gamepass I still want to own it, by then, the game should be reasonably discounted.

It isn’t free for the service or the games it includes. It is a cost effective way to help a gamer play many games that they do include without additional cost as long as the game remains in the service for an active subscriber.

Some Games will not be included in the service and so, players will still be buying games in addition to the service outside of those they want to own after playing them through the service.

For those that one time got three years for the cost of one, that is either two free years for the cost of one or a lower per month cost for three.

As for being stuck to the service.. If a person subbed, they wanted the service. The thing is, if it isn’t for the after the initial sub, they aren’t going to be forced to actually use it. I’m not sure how one is “stuck” with it. It’s not like a used car someone bought that keeps breaking down after the lemon law or return period is over. Also, it’s $180. That’s not a massive investment.

just my opinion… and … I do own both consoles sub to PS+ and sub to Gamepass and mostly play on PlayStation because most of my friends play on there. No favoritism here.
With ps+, psnow, gamepass, and other services, what will be the point of buying games anyway. These days day1 games are bad value. I can get all deluxe edition with all dlc in 1-2 years for cheaper. The service I talked about, also has games, which I could have bought day1. Look at nioh in psnow. I havent bought that game, and its available on psnow to play it cheaper.

Most of my libraries are useless now. They are available in other services. I bought HZD, then I got the complete edition for free. I bought skyrim, but the special edition is free on gamepass. same for doom. I bought rd2, but its on psnow. Same for the witcher, which was on gamepass, and now is on psnow. how long will I continue to waste my money? The only true purchase left for me is Nintendo. I can trust their games not to be free on a service. The day that happens, is the day I stop buying games.

kingfey

Banned
They actually would not own the house, the bank owns it. And how can you own a service? In both of your examples, ownership is really not the right word to use, even in everyday parlance.

What you have purchased is a temporary license to access the games. If you buy a ticket to go to a theme park/carnival, you've paid for temporary access to all of the rides and attractions until your license expires. You would not imply that you own all of the rides during that period. A better analogy than a mortgage would be renting. Because at least with a mortgage you will eventually own it. When you rent, you are paying for monthly access with no ownership in sight, like Gamepass.
I honestly want to ask this question. Do you really own ps4 games. especially digital ones? What happens to the disc, if it gets scratched.

We always talk about ownership, but not really the downside for it. If either Xbox, Nintendo or PlayStation went out of business, do we still own their games?

sircaw

Banned

You're not being silly when you say it's free, you're being disingenuous on purpose in trying to make said product sound better than it actually is.

If Game pass is that good, it can stand on its own two legs, stop trying to gaslight people with half-truths or misrepresentations about it.

You're coming across as someone who is on Microsofts books at this time, just stop it.

Just put the facts out, you're going to pay 180 bucks a year for the service your talking about, stop coming up with its 2 cents per game bullshit or its free rubbish.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
With ps+, psnow, gamepass, and other services, what will be the point of buying games anyway. These days day1 games are bad value. I can get all deluxe edition with all dlc in 1-2 years for cheaper. The service I talked about, also has games, which I could have bought day1. Look at nioh in psnow. I havent bought that game, and its available on psnow to play it cheaper.

Most of my libraries are useless now. They are available in other services. I bought HZD, then I got the complete edition for free. I bought skyrim, but the special edition is free on gamepass. same for doom. I bought rd2, but its on psnow. Same for the witcher, which was on gamepass, and now is on psnow. how long will I continue to waste my money? The only true purchase left for me is Nintendo. I can trust their games not to be free on a service. The day that happens, is the day I stop buying games.

Again, it’s subjective. If you can and choose to sub to multiple services, and have multiple hardware, that’s an option.
For day 1 games, some want day 1 regardless of cost. That’s not you. With Gamepass, 1st party is included and staying. 3rd party may or may not be day 1. Some are, some aren’t. Some come after and the service offers a no added cost way to try games or play games that someone didn’t want day 1. Not all games are included and some may never be, meaning, to play the.. added cost. Some games leave the service. To play them … added cost… etc.

We’re discussing Gamepass here. Not other services, not other hardware, Gamepass. Gamepass and it’s value. And, as I said, it’s subjective.

Everything else I could say, I said in the other, long winded, commentary.

BreakOut

So now we're just creating threads based around videos from random no-name youtube channels with less than 5k subscribers?

Why was this video particularly interesting OP?
Is this going to become GAF forum standard. This kind of sets up for everyone to dump any video that says what they want to hear onto the front page.

Top Bottom