• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The DualSense Could Be The Best PC Controller Ever

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been a PC gamer for over 15 years and there are plenty of games that I like to play with a controller. Back in the day console controllers weren't supported (or even compatible) so your best bet was using something like a Logitech usb controller.

41NJVVHHC3L._AC_SX355_.jpg

Eventually the xbox 360 came out and I started using that controller on PC. It was more comfortable and highly compatible with PC games. As a result it became a very popular option.

b388e58ed505421e9731147f2086d62b_Large.jpg

Fast forward a few more years and I've been using a DualShock 4 as my PC controller since 2013, although a lot of folks also use their xbox one controller. They're great and the PC platform has really come a long way over the years in terms of controller support. Lots of games support them natively and even show the correct button prompts in-game.

71uQYNKiKCL._SX385_.jpg

Yesterday I got my PS5 and the first thing I did was fire up Astro's Playroom. The DualSense controller was even better than I thought it would be after hearing all of the hype pre-launch. The improved haptic feedback, the new triggers, the whole package is incredible and I can't wait to see how PS5 games this gen take advantage of it.

But then I started thinking... the same way that developers are finding new awesome uses for the DualSense controller on PS5, what if they do the same thing for PC games? What if when there's a game that has both a PS5 and a PC port, having the game still take full advantage of everything the DualSense has to offer and allowing PC gamers to have that same amazing experience? (and of course, PC-only games could support it as well)

For example Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War just released on both PC and PS5. On PS5 they found a cool way to take advantage of the DualSense:
"The DualSense controller is pretty awesome. It's got new haptic feedback so when you're pulling the trigger, it's shaking, every time a gun fires there is a little motor in there that's firing every time," Flame said. "There is sensitivity on the trigger that represents the trigger pressure on a real weapon. All of that has been tuned in the game for each individual weapon. So it's quite a lot to take in, but it's pretty awesome, and it gives the guns a feeling like they've never had before."

If you play the PC version with a DualSense I don't know if it also behaves the same, but if not then it would definitely cool to see them add it in the future (for the folks that don't play with mouse and kb).

Do you think any developers will start to do this? I think this controller has a lot of potential not only on PlayStation 5 but also on PC as well. What do you all think?

PS5-controller-2.jpg

Stuart360

You have to remember that Astro's playroom is designed to show the controller off specifically, so of course its going to be great on that game.
For me, i always turn off rumble, and yes i know its more than simply rumbe, but thats the way i am. Plus i have a pS4 controller and barely use it as i'm so used to the offset sticks on the XB1 controller.

If devs are still fully supporting duel sense a year or two from now, i will probably buy one and check it out for myself.

MomoVideo

Banned
I don't think those DualSense features will be available on PC. The impulse triggers on Xbox One Controller works only with Windows Store games. I would guess that Microsoft would offer better compatibility with its own controller on its own system, but it is what it is. I barely even remember how they feel because I dont play Windows Store games.

MrFunSocks

Banned
"The DualSense controller is pretty awesome. It's got new haptic feedback so when you're pulling the trigger, it's shaking, every time a gun fires there is a little motor in there that's firing every time,"

The Xbox One controller has had that for the last 7 years lol. Just like with 3D audio, PlayStation only players thinking because it’s new to PlayStation its new to the industry are getting annoying.

The Best PC Controller is a Mouse and Keyboard but if you really need a controller that just works on PC without needing anything else like DS4windows than it the Xbox Controller since it made by the same company that made windows so it just works unlike 3rd party controller.

dcx4610

I'm a full on Elite controller supporter. I loved Sony controllers until the Elite controller came out. After getting the Elite Series 2 and comparing it to the Dual Sense, I still prefer the Elite. Granted, I don't think it's worth $100 more.

Dual Sense is a solid controller but it feels a little large and noticed it cramps my hand a bit. The Elite 2 has the best grips I've ever felt and while I used to prefer the mushy d-pad and buttons, I'm so used to the click of the Xbox one where it feels weird now going back to mushy.

I was hyped for the haptic feedback and while it's cool, it feels like a novelty and gets a little annoying after awhile with it constantly doing something. It's almost distracting.

Hezekiah

Banned
I've been a PC gamer for over 15 years and there are plenty of games that I like to play with a controller. Back in the day console controllers weren't supported (or even compatible) so your best bet was using something like a Logitech usb controller.

41NJVVHHC3L._AC_SX355_.jpg

Eventually the xbox 360 came out and I started using that controller on PC. It was more comfortable and highly compatible with PC games. As a result it became a very popular option.

b388e58ed505421e9731147f2086d62b_Large.jpg

Fast forward a few more years and I've been using a DualShock 4 as my PC controller since 2013, although a lot of folks also use their xbox one controller. They're great and the PC platform has really come a long way over the years in terms of controller support. Lots of games support them natively and even show the correct button prompts in-game.

71uQYNKiKCL._SX385_.jpg

Yesterday I got my PS5 and the first thing I did was fire up Astro's Playroom. The DualSense controller was even better than I thought it would be after hearing all of the hype pre-launch. The improved haptic feedback, the new triggers, the whole package is incredible and I can't wait to see how PS5 games this gen take advantage of it.

But then I started thinking... the same way that developers are finding new awesome uses for the DualSense controller on PS5, what if they do the same thing for PC games? What if when there's a game that has both a PS5 and a PC port, having the game still take full advantage of everything the DualSense has to offer and allowing PC gamers to have that same amazing experience? (and of course, PC-only games could support it as well)

For example Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War just released on both PC and PS5. On PS5 they found a cool way to take advantage of the DualSense:
"The DualSense controller is pretty awesome. It's got new haptic feedback so when you're pulling the trigger, it's shaking, every time a gun fires there is a little motor in there that's firing every time," Flame said. "There is sensitivity on the trigger that represents the trigger pressure on a real weapon. All of that has been tuned in the game for each individual weapon. So it's quite a lot to take in, but it's pretty awesome, and it gives the guns a feeling like they've never had before."

If you play the PC version with a DualSense I don't know if it also behaves the same, but if not then it would definitely cool to see them add it in the future (for the folks that don't play with mouse and kb).

Do you think any developers will start to do this? I think this controller has a lot of potential not only on PlayStation 5 but also on PC as well. What do you all think?

PS5-controller-2.jpg

Yes can't wait to get my hands on one. Didnt get a PS5, but might get one just to use with my PC.

Codes 208

Just like the majority of gimmicks it will be old in a couple months. Third party devs will stop supporting it or stop supporting it in innovative ways.

Also, I can’t imagine those gears lasting very long at all.
They’re operated by the same tech that makes speakers which theoretically has better control than basic rumble and so it should be durable, especially compared to how flimsy the ds4’s triggers could be (squeaky triggers anyone?)

Hezekiah

Banned
"The DualSense controller is pretty awesome. It's got new haptic feedback so when you're pulling the trigger, it's shaking, every time a gun fires there is a little motor in there that's firing every time,"

The Xbox One controller has had that for the last 7 years lol. Just like with 3D audio, PlayStation only players thinking because it’s new to PlayStation its new to the industry are getting annoying.
So defensive 😁.

If you actually pay attention to the reviews, Digital Foundry, Skill Up, Champchong etc, they say that the haptic feedback is unlike any other they used elsewhere.

You've never used a Dualsense, you're desperately trying to shit on the unknown 💩.

dave_d

The only change I've seen to control pads that made much of a difference to me was gyro aiming which oddly enough the gaming press didn't say much about it. Weird that the first controller that could have supported it was the six-axis but Nintendo is the one to popularize it.

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm exited to see what Steam makes of it's new features beyond the gyro, i read it already has support in beta.
Yes I've heard it works great out the box, will be great if they support the additional features. Ultimately Microsoft havent evolved their controller, so there's the potential things get in a bit of a rut without that support.

Fbh

I'd definitely be nice to see native support for some of these features but I don't see this happening.

Devs probably aren't going to go out of their way to add features to the PC version that only a fraction of the audience are going to use (those not only playing with a controller but specifically with a DualSense), and Sony probably aren't going to go out of their way to try and improve support on PC...because they'd rather have you playing on Ps5

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Maybe A controller for PC games will come out. I have been impressed with the Dual Sense. The sound of walking through water, walking through grass, etc, the vibrations of each step and the triggers tightening and loosening. It is crazy as all get out.

clem84

Gold Member
Some features sound good on paper but never end up being used. I'm hopeful the DS5 will bring something significant to gaming. It's certainly promising.

Md Ray

Your constant shitposting and hate for PlayStation is getting tiring.

Md Ray

It doesn't even work without third party support... What is this thread?
Umm, it does. Steam added support for DualSense. A lot of games already support DualShock 4 natively (don't require 3rd party support) with PS button prompts on screen like Witcher 3 and all of Ubi games, Titanfall 2, F1 2019, 2020 to name a few. DualSense will also work the same way on PC.

Last edited:
It's an expensive gimmick that most third parties will not support, because they design their games taking into consideration the features common to all platforns.

They don't want to pass the idea that "our game is better on x platform because of the controller" because that would affect sales and their reputation.

Plus, XInput is the standard API for game controllers on Windows. It only supports features and button layouts that are common to Xbox controllers only.

What? It's already happened with multiple 3rd party games right at launch. Right out the gate.

Chukhopops

The Steam controller already featured a gyro, haptic feedback and rumble features and in the end it flopped and was discontinued. Gyro in controllers is mostly used for aiming, which isn’t needed on PC with KBM.

I don’t see it making a dent on the PC market.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
The Steam controller already featured a gyro, haptic feedback and rumble features and in the end it flopped and was discontinued. Gyro in controllers is mostly used for aiming, which isn’t needed on PC with KBM.

I don’t see it making a dent on the PC market.
The adaptive triggers and haptic feedback when done on the Dual Sense you can’t explain it. You have to feel it for yourself. You feel like you are walking on sand, or on rock. With different vibrations for each set of things your playing on.

It really is great to try it out. The adaptive triggers getting harder and softer to push. When you are firing you feel the weapons feeding in the triggers. I think a lot of immersion can be done through the controller if done right. That’s why I hope Someone will put out a PC controller.

Like I said, it is very hard to explain, you have to feel it in your hands to get what some folks are saying about it.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
The adaptive triggers and haptic feedback when done on the Dual Sense you can’t explain it. You have to feel it for yourself. You feel like you are walking on sand, or on rock. With different vibrations for each set of things your playing on.

It really is great to try it out. The adaptive triggers getting harder and softer to push. When you are firing you feel the weapons feeding in the triggers. I think a lot of immersion can be done through the controller if done right. That’s why I hope Someone will put out a PC controller.

Like I said, it is very hard to explain, you have to feel it in your hands to get what some folks are saying about it.

YOU are discovering haptic feedback, not all of us are.

reptilex

Banned
If they hack the DualSense Haptics triggers and coils then it'd be an interesting experimental platform and it could be used to "rewire" older vibration cues to newer more expended one as new form of modding segment.

b0uncyfr0

It prob never will; until i can use it natively on PC without requiring DS4windows (its just add's an extra layer, albeit awesome but adoption would be overall better if it wasnt there)

Also if most games dont support that adaptive trigger, it wont happen.

Schmick

It prob never will; until i can use it natively on PC without requiring DS4windows (its just add's an extra layer, albeit awesome but adoption would be overall better if it wasnt there)

Also if most games dont support that adaptive trigger, it wont happen.
Doesn't Steam recognise the controller?

CalmYe

Neo Member
An argument could be made if they added the new haptic features but there's no way IMO Sony would do that and then on top of that devs would have to add support for the features on PCs too.

I saw a video of the force needed to pull the trigger for guns in CoD and just thought NOPE, no way would i choose that to play in a game where split reaction time and instant presses matter. The Dualsense is a unique controller for sure and has some crazy stuff going for it, and i quite like how it looks but i can't see it being chosen over say an Elite 2 that has heft to it, paddles on the back, sticks that can be tension controlled and able to switch between configurations on the controller itself.

Put it this way, i'll beat any PS player using a Dualsense with an Elite controller any day of the week. My trigger press will be faster than theirs and thats what matters most here. I like it though and want to try it out at some point.

Top Bottom