• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony? Why can't I use my dualshock on PS5 games?

That’s funny, my PS5 came with a dualsense. I didn’t realize everyones didn’t. Lucky me.

Also, someone should let Sony know they’ve included the option to turn off adaptive triggers and haptics in the settings menu. The dualsense will still function of course, but if developers were to find out who knows what could happen!
If you allow using other controllers, developers will take into account that possibility and may limit the features to those only available on ever possible input device.

breakfuss

If you allow using other controllers, developers will take into account that possibility and may limit the features to those only available on ever possible input device.
Mr. Hirai, all I’m saying is that your engineers built in the option to easily turn off those features effectively making the dualsense indistinguishable from a DS4. But for some reason I’m unable to natively use a DS4 on PS5 games?? 😩 Make it make sense, please.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm still waiting for a PC adapter for my DualSense. Today, I need to be connected via USB to use Adaptive Triggers on PC.

I'm still waiting for a PC adapter for my DualSense. Today, I need to be connected via USB to use Adaptive Triggers on PC.

Yeah I have an 8bitdo and it's impossible for me to get adaptive triggers with it. As for the Haptics they basically function just like rumble did with my games.

Really would be neat to be able to cut the cord and have adaptive triggers.

KAL2006

Banned
Honestly it was a serious ommision both Sony and Microsoft didn't have underside buttons for these controllers. Nowadays 90 percent of games have you constantly moving the camera and character so having more action buttons without letting go of the sticks I assumed before we got the controllers revealed it would be a standard feature. Valve did right with Steam deck to include these underside buttons, it's a shame such a missed opportunity.

BlackTron

It's not greed to want something that is pretty widespread on the last generation and it enables you play more efficiently and have better control. Also, this notion that only serious players are on mouse and keyboard is laughable at this point.

Serious at playing a joke on themselves maybe.

Banned
Exactly. It's a new hardware, it costs to them money.

THEN WHY DOES THAT THING NOT WORK ON PS4? Sony is so fucking stupid nowadays when it comes to controllers -_- this was the complete opposite back in the day, on PS3 I literally once played Street Fighter 4 using an SNES controller that was hooked up to a USB adapter... and it worked... but now I can't even use their new controller on their own system... like WTF is this?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Battle Beaver? Battle Beaver!!!!

beaverwars.jpg

groundhog.jpg

Z2MCxojOtGuQ7qCyFd36WR42Asm4U18sZhorHaOwLBYjwoxISavXHhvf2oJ9PjR4C5oB0V07MFuQzkI7--EYfTA0ki-W7pOs1peiGEaUBoqr-lM3Fiky5Af5dUkujD7UxyJeUCOrrDtz-qcruHCVvAjENdKXeWg
Aren't these Guinea Pigs? Capybara?

Last edited:
Doesn't mean I'm a PR vomiting machine. I don't work for Sony.
Well you did reply to a person's valid concern with a product that has no physical reason to not support something with Sony's pr spin. Again Sony's reason is not valid. Every ps5 comes with a dual sense. The install base of the controller is basically 100% of ps5 owners. The reason they talked you into is not true. This isn't a Sony only thing. If any corporation is trying to convince you that spending your money on their product is good for you, it's probably not.

Mr. Hirai, all I’m saying is that your engineers built in the option to easily turn off those features effectively making the dualsense indistinguishable from a DS4. But for some reason I’m unable to natively use a DS4 on PS5 games?? 😩 Make it make sense, please.
You also can't use a DS3 on a PS4, a DS2 on PS3, a DS1 on PS2, a Wii U controller on Switch, an NES controller on a SNES, a N64 controller on GameCube, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
They needed good will and use it to get some. There is an end game they think will make them the most money.

I'm still unsure how it can be viewed as "bad for you".

I know they try their hardest to market it as a great deal and it really is. Unlike the Dualsense I fail to see the negative side of it.

What about Xbox? You didn't mention Xbox.
Yes, Xbox basically kept the same controller for three generations now. I guess this is the advantage. The cost is not adding new features for new generations. Different design philosophies.

After experiencing the DualSense and all the innovations Nintendo introduced throughout the generations, I'm glad not everyone follows that "if it's not broke" model.

Mr Moose

Yes, Xbox basically kept the same controller for three generations now. I guess this is the advantage. The cost is not adding new features for new generations. Different design philosophies.

After experiencing the DualSense and all the innovations Nintendo introduced throughout the generations, I'm glad not everyone follows that "if it's not broke" model.
Hey now, they added a share button!

Schmick

The button layout is the same as the DS4 therefore there is no reason for it not to work on PS5 on PS5 games. That's what is up for debate not whether the DS is a better controller or not over the DS4.

Beside Xbox One controller introduced feedback in the triggers. So I would argue that MS have also been innovative. But for whatever reason decided not to improve on that on the Series.

sainraja

I don't know which is worse, Sony not allowing it or people making excuses for it like they have a legitimate reason. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
People aren't making excuses. The reason its mandatory is because the Dualsense has features the Dualshock 4 simply doesn't. You don't like it and you are welcome to that opinion but the reason DS5 is mandatory is simply due to the new features it has. To drive adoption, it has to be standard for PS5 games.

That’s funny, my PS5 came with a dualsense. I didn’t realize everyones didn’t. Lucky me.

Also, someone should let Sony know they’ve included the option to turn off adaptive triggers and haptics in the settings menu. The dualsense will still function of course, but if developers were to find out who knows what could happen!
You can't be serious. The point is about driving adoption....developers have less reason to support a feature or features that only select people have vs when it's available to everyone by default after getting a PS5. The ability to turn off a feature does not mean absence of it. In the current state, everyone who has a PS5 and is playing a PS5 game has to play using a Dualsense controller. I can't believe the point is so lost on you that you have to act immaturely in response.

Last edited:

Banned
People aren't making excuses. The reason its mandatory is because the Dualsense has features the Dualshock 4 simply doesn't.

you really just eat up what commercials tell you do you? that is pure PR bullshit, as not only can you deactivate ALL OF THESE features in almost any game, but you also can in the system settings. this turns the Dualsense into a controller that has the exact same features as a DualShock 4. and the fact that these settings exist means NOT A SINGLE game can be 100% tailored to these features but always need an optional way to play that works without them.

developers have less reason to support a feature or features that only select people have

every single person that buys a PS5 has these features available to them if they want to use them, as every PS5 comes with a Dualsense... you know? so once again, not a valid reason.

Last edited:
I don't know which is worse, Sony not allowing it or people making excuses for it like they have a legitimate reason. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

well thats corporate fanboys for you. they're all the same really. their company of choice can do no wrong and must be defended at all costs, like any of them actually give a shit about us. its all about money. you can enjoy a platform and call out the bullshit too you know? dont worry, nothing bad will happen.

sainraja

you really just eat up what commercials tell you do you? that is pure PR bullshit, as not only can you deactivate ALL OF THESE features in almost any game, but you also can in the system settings. this turns the Dualsense into a controller that has the exact same features as a DualShock 4. and the fact that these settings exist means NOT A SINGLE game can be 100% tailored to these features but always need an optional way to play that works without them.

every single person that buys a PS5 has these features available to them if they want to use them, as every PS5 comes with a Dualsense... you know? so once again, not a valid reason.
You're just being dense now. The option to turn off something does not mean the absence of it but let's try using your logic here for a minute — can you share with me how I can turn those features ON for the DS4?
To guarantee something is available to be designed for, means you have to make sure the capability is there. The guarantee that all PS5 games will be played using a specific controller that has said features.

EDIT
Re-reading your post here.....I am not sure what you think I am arguing for here. No one is saying Dualsense features are needed to play those games. It's about adoption.

Last edited:

Banned
You're just being dense now. The option to turn off something does not mean the absence of it but let's try using your logic here for a minute — can you share with me how I can turn those features on for the DS4?
To guarantee something is available to be designed for, means you have to make sure the capability is there. The guarantee that all PS5 games will be played using a specific controller that has said features.

again, every single person that owns a PS5 owns that controller, and every single person can turn all of these features off for every single game.
next time you wanna call someone dense you might wanna look in the mirror. there is no logical reason for the DualShock 4 not to work with every PS5 game.

and this is before we even begin talking about the 3rd party controllers that will most likely soon come to the market as well. there are PS4 controllers that don't have Sixaxis and controllers that don't have a touch pad, yet these controllers are compatible with PS4 games and the PS4 itself without issue. this will eventually happen on PS5 as well, there will be 3rd party controllers without haptics and without touchpads or Sixaxis. these will work with PS5 games, people can buy these and use them instead of Dualsense controllers.

so the only argument you have left then boils down to "you can't use the Dualshock 4 because it's not a 3rd party controller for PS5" and that's not a valid reason. Especially since they could give developers the option to support DS4 controllers, like they gave PS3 developers the option to support generic direct-input PC controllers... which is why the DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers work on many PS3 games btw. (not all of them, since like I said this was left to the developers to support or not)

edit: I just found out there is already a 3rd party controller that misses Adaptive triggers... so there you fucking go

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
People aren't making excuses. The reason its mandatory is because the Dualsense has features the Dualshock 4 simply doesn't. You don't like it and you are welcome to that opinion but the reason DS5 is mandatory is simply due to the new features it has. To drive adoption, it has to be standard for PS5 games.

You can't be serious. The point is about driving adoption....developers have less reason to support a feature or features that only select people have vs when it's available to everyone by default after getting a PS5. The ability to turn off a feature does not mean absence of it. In the current state, everyone who has a PS5 and is playing a PS5 game has to play using a Dualsense controller. I can't believe the point is so lost on you that you have to act immaturely in response.
You really believe, if Sony gave us DS4 compatibility that developers would all of a sudden abandon the haptic features? This part of your argument is what's wrong, it's that PR defense and has nothing to do with reality. I've played games with the DuelSense and sorry to disappoint it didn't change my life nor enhance my experience.

I would pick back buttons on the DualSense over haptic triggers any day of the week and twice on Sunday because it's simply a more useful feature than haptic triggers will ever be.

sainraja

again, every single person that owns a PS5 owns that controller, and every single person can turn all of these features off for every single game.
next time you wanna call someone dense you might wanna look in the mirror. there is no logical reason for the DualShock 4 not to work with every PS5 game.

and this is before we even begin talking about the 3rd party controllers that will most likely soon come to the market as well. there are PS4 controllers that don't have Sixaxis and controllers that don't have a touch pad, yet these controllers are compatible with PS4 games and the PS4 itself without issue. this will eventually happen on PS5 as well, there will be 3rd party controllers without haptics and without touchpads or Sixaxis. these will work with PS5 games, people can buy these and use them instead of Dualsense controllers.

so the only argument you have left then boils down to "you can't use the Dualshock 4 because it's not a 3rd party controller for PS5" and that's not a valid reason. Especially since they could give developers the option to support DS4 controllers, like they gave PS3 developers the option to support generic direct-input PC controllers... which is why the DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers work on many PS3 games btw. (not all of them, since like I said this was left to the developers to support or not)
You really are being dense, man. LOL. I can't help ya. You are not very good at following a conversation. No one said games NEED Dualsense to work. You've manufactured the point you are arguing against, lol. That's not what I have been saying.

Banned
You really are being dense, man. LOL. I can't help ya. You are not very good at following a conversation. No one said games NEED Dualsense to work. You've manufactured the point you are arguing against, lol. That's not what I have been saying.

you said the DS4 can not be supported because developers need to know that these features are available to everyone or else they would simply stop supporting them. which is bullshit because everyone has one. and there are 3rd party controllers coming that will lack these features anyways, so that argument is mute
the HexGaming "Hex Rival" (hair trigger version) is already out and is such a controller. it works on PS5 and basically has the feature set of a DualShock 4. so you already have a PS5 compatible controller that you can buy and use instead of a Dualsense, which lacks the 1 standout feature of the Dualsense

you are making excuses... that's how it is

Last edited:

sainraja

You really believe, if Sony gave us DS4 compatibility that developers would all of a sudden abandon the haptic features? This part of your argument is what's wrong, it's that PR defense and has nothing to do with reality. I've played games with the DuelSense and sorry to disappoint it didn't change my life nor enhance my experience.

I would pick back buttons on the DualSense over haptic triggers any day of the week and twice on Sunday because it's simply a more useful feature than haptic triggers will ever be.
I am not questioning your choice and I understand why you want the back buttons. The reason Dualsense is required is simply due to those features. No one is arguing whether or not games can't function with or without them. Not sure why or how you reached that conclusion when I pointed out adoption as being the reason for its requirement. If they didn't make DS5 a requirement to play PS5 games could mean developers would not support it. That's been the case in the past with things that haven't come standard — sometimes it will happen faster and other-times it might happen slowly; generally those are things you can't control but ensuring all PS5 games will use DS5, you can.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
l
I am not questioning your choice and I understand why you want the back buttons. The reason Dualsense is required is simply due to those features. No one is arguing whether or not games can't function with or without them. Not sure why or how you reached that conclusion when I pointed out adoption as being the reason for its requirement.
Adoption is not a good reason, the DuelSense comes with every PS5 console and developers would support it regardless. So the adoption point is the one I don't understand to be honest.

Corndog

Banned
At least with PS4 games. With PS5 games I'm not so sure. The DualSense did cost them plenty to develop so they need to recoup those costs. Plus with every PS5 title requiring the Dualsense it gives the developers more of an incentive to incorporate those features into their games.

But that's just my opinion.
Maybe just give developers the option to add support.

Banned
I am not questioning your choice and I understand why you want the back buttons. The reason Dualsense is required is simply due to those features. No one is arguing whether or not games can't function with or without them. Not sure why or how you reached that conclusion when I pointed out adoption as being the reason for its requirement. If they didn't make DS5 a requirement to play PS5 games could mean developers would not support it. That's been the case in the past with things that haven't come standard — sometimes it will happen faster and other-times it might happen slowly; generally those are things you can't control but ensuring all PS5 games will use DS5, you can.

I'm writing in caps just to make sure to hammer it in:

YOU CAN ALREADY BUY A THIRD PARTY CONTROLLER THAT DOESN'T HAVE THESE FEATURES how do you not get that into your brain? THERE IS ALREADY A CONTROLLER ON THE MARKET THAT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ADAPTIVE TRIGGERS... is this really that hard to understand?

there is not 1 logical reason to not support the Dualshock 4 in PS5 games other than greed. they let you use 1 controller by a 3rd party that doesn't have Dualsense features, but they won't let you use your already bought controllers without dualsense features. it's that easy. they want you to buy a new controller in order to play multiplayer games on your PS5. that's the only reason and the only reason that makes sense.

there are already controllers that do not support Dualsense features, and there are more to come.

and all you can do is react to my arguments with laughing emojis because your barely functioning brain can't come up with solid arguments that can't be dismantled within seconds

Last edited:

sainraja

Adoption is not a good reason, the DuelSense comes with every PS5 console and developers would support it regardless. So the adoption point is the one I don't understand to be honest.
That's fair. I am not going to arguing with you on whether or not you think it is a good reason or not. I just think it's one of the main reasons for requiring it for PS5 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTK

sainraja

I'm writing in caps just to make sure to hammer it in:

YOU CAN ALREADY BUY A THIRD PARTY CONTROLLER THAT DOESN'T HAVE THESE FEATURES how do you not get that into your brain? THERE IS ALREADY A CONTROLLER ON THE MARKET THAT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ADAPTIVE TRIGGERS... is this really that hard to understand?

there is not 1 logical reason to not support the Dualshock 4 in PS5 games other than greed. they let you use 1 controller by a 3rd party that doesn't have Dualsense features, but they won't let you use your already bought controllers without dualsense features. it's that easy. they want you to buy a new controller in order to play multiplayer games on your PS5. that's the only reason and the only reason that makes sense.

there are already controllers that do not support Dualsense features, and there are more to come.

and all you can do is react to my arguments with laughing emojis because your barely functioning brain can't come up with solid arguments that can't be dismantled within seconds
lol. I will let you figure out the answers to those on your own.

Top Bottom