• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony? Why can't I use my dualshock on PS5 games?

HTK

Banned
There is a clear difference between the PS4 controller to the PS5 controller so it makes sense that the company would want to push for the PS5 controller's adoption (for money or otherwise) over one they are trying to phase out. Microsoft has no need to do this given they've made very minor changes to their controller from Xbox One to Xbox Series X. The change they have made does not make it a necessity for them to get people to use the new one. It's as simple as that.

The new features Sony has introduced will only gain traction if it's mandatory for PS5 games.

Again this argument is piss poor. Devs will be on-board with new features of a new controller, just like they always give you options to turn said features off in the settings because again controllers are subjective and not everyone want's a buzzing dildo while playing.

kyliethicc

Doesn't matter if a player decides to play with a DS4.
Yes it does. Why work hard coding haptic feeback for your game if someone is just gonna play the game with a DualShock and miss it?
There is no good reason from a gamers point of view to not support DS4 on PS5 for PS5 games.
Yes there is. PS5 games are made for the PS5 controller.

If it uses the PS4 controller, its a PS4 game, not a PS5 game.

HTK

Banned
If you've purchased the PS5 version from the Sony store, it'll be the Cross-Gen bundle which has the PS4 (Pro) version with it, you can play that one with the DS4 back buttons.
Hopefully they'll release a DualSense version and not at the end of the gen.
Yep, that's the only way around it. Buy a PS5 to play a PS4 version of the game. Yay PlayStation!

HTK

Banned
Yes it does. Why work hard coding haptic feeback for your game if someone is just gonna play the game with a DualShock and miss it?

Again, why also HARD CODE to be able to TURN OFF haptic feedback? Ask yourself that question since you're pandering the PR talk?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I just wanted to point out to him his hypocrisy.
Look you will see my praise Sony in many threads as I have a PS4 to. Not got a ps5 as of yet but will be getting one. I just think somethings could be more user friendly such as backwards comparability of controllers.

assurdum

Banned
Dude, please stop pretending that DualSense is some new alien advanced controller. It's plastic like it's predecessor with the same buttons with a different ergonomic shape and some new haptic motors. So please spare me the "NEW EXPERIENCES" argument, in the games that I have used the DualSense I've disabled your "NEW EXPERIENCE" because those have always been distracting gimmicks like the Six Axis and Rumble.

It's cool for a minute like most novelties before you turn them off, no I didn't get a hard on and they didn't revolutionize gaming with the DualSense so can we be real about these things and stop pandering?
It's not like your reasons are more valid than the others eh. It has been explained to you why Sony want replace DS4 with DS if you can't accept such approach and you find the DS support useless, you can still play playstation games on pc and that's it. I don't see the problem. I don't buy a single Nintendo platform from the Nintendo 64 because I don't like the Nintendo hardware but it's not like I blame Nintendo to not release a decent hardware with a decent price at every thread.

Last edited:

reksveks

Firstly hardly someone care so much Sony finances.
Secondly all decisions of similar companies are all abirtrary business decisions. It's not like suddenly sony shows to you the cruel reality.
1. I seen alot of people trying to justify it by saying inherently subjective things like the dualsense is better. I am sorry but that's very much a subjective statement. Or things like 'ps5 games are made for the ps5 controller' , that's kinda bs if you can turn off the dualsense main difference.

2. I didn't say that it's the first example of arbitrary business in order to make more money. I just don't have to accept it as a standard practice as a consumer.

Schmick

Let's be honest here 99% of players will play with their DualSense, won't even consider DS4.

There are however cases like the one mentioned in this thread and other cases where parents have forked out on multiple DS4 controllers which will become useless on PS5. Its a shitty policy and there is no reason to have it when you consider that the DualSense button layout is the same as a DS4.

HTK

Banned
It was pretty consumer friendly when they released it for the PS4. Hopefully Sony does the same for the Dualsense because a 300$ controller shouldn't be your only say to get those paddles.
I applauded Sony when they released the Back Button Attachment.

The thing was freaking $24.99 and did something a $179.99 Scuf could do. I'm not a fan of Scuf because of their quality control, constantly have to send it back in to get it fixed. Here was Sony with the Back Button Attachment at $24.99 works to this day, amazing. Just repeat the same but much sooner, I feel like it should have already been available.

Skifi28

You have buttons on your back? I'd get that checked first if I were you. Then you can tell us all about it in a new thread.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Also, what is with this blind following like a sheep, Sony said it. It's next gen. Some of you just sound weird man, think for yourself. Jeez.
literally feels like they are the real life version of this

Reactions: HTK

sainraja

Again this argument is piss poor. Devs will be on-board with new features of a new controller, just like they always give you options to turn said features off in the settings because again controllers are subjective and not everyone want's a buzzing dildo while playing.
And yours isn't any better if you think by having options to turn off a feature = developers are going to be quick in adopting new features. In all seriousness, they have to make it a requirement, because if not, what is the point in introducing new features to a controller to begin with?

They kinda have to make it mandatory.

HTK

Banned
It's not like your reasons are more valid than the others eh. It has been explained to you why Sony want replace DS4 with DS if you can't accept and you find the DS useless, you can just play playstation games on pc and that's it. I don't see the problem.
Not interested discussing this matter with you, you've made your point and it reeks of corporatism so please make your way out.

S0ULZB0URNE

Dude, please stop pretending that DualSense is some new alien advanced controller. It's plastic like it's predecessor with the same buttons with a different ergonomic shape and some new haptic motors. So please spare me the "NEW EXPERIENCES" argument, in the games that I have used the DualSense I've disabled your "NEW EXPERIENCE" because those have always been distracting gimmicks like the Six Axis and Rumble.

It's cool for a minute like most novelties before you turn them off, no I didn't get a hard on and they didn't revolutionize gaming with the DualSense so can we be real about these things and stop pandering?
Yeah this post is wrong.

Actually use it AND it's features with software that supports it.

kyliethicc

Again, why also HARD CODE to be able to TURN OFF haptic feedback? Ask yourself that question since you're pandering the PR talk?
Why allow users to disable a feature of the PS5 controller? Why not? It doesn't affect the devs.

I can play a game on mute but devs still design the audio. Its about the generation of hardware and game.

The devs still get the guarantee that every player is using a PS5 controller, not a last gen PS4 controller.

(And duh of course Sony also want to sell more controllers... that's obvious cuz they're a business.)

Let's be honest here 99% of players will play with their DualSense, won't even consider DS4.

There are however cases like the one mentioned in this thread and other cases where parents have forked out on multiple DS4 controllers which will become useless on PS5. Its a shitty policy and there is no reason to have it when you consider that the DualSense button layout is the same as a DS4.

Meh every gen has new controllers so this is nothing different.

We couldn't play PS4 games with PS3 controllers, etc.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
The DS4 is an inferior controller in everyway, no one should even want to use it instead of the DS. But you def have a point for the back buttons. Sony are basically saying "want to use back buttons go play on your PS4" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What they should've had done is make it compatible with the DS, but of course they didn't. If you have a PC go K+M instead much better for FPS anyway. :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

sainraja

Not interested discussing this matter with you, you've made your point and it reeks of corporatism so please make your way out.
When there is disagreement or someone else thinks a little differently than you, it is generally a good idea not to be so dismissive of their opinion with comments like this. You can be respectful and still disagree. We all get it that you can't play FPS games without back buttons but the reality is, well, you can't — not yet anyway.

Fbh

Because controller support is apparently one of those areas where actually do believe in generations

Why Sony? Money.
Does it suck? Sure.
Did you know this before buying a PS5? Sure.
What now? Deal with it.

This is basically it.
It sucks but Sony was clear about no Dualshock 4 support on native Ps5 games.

HTK

Banned
When there is disagreement or someone else thinks a little differently than you, it is generally a good idea not to be so dismissive of their opinion with comments like this. You can be respectful and still disagree. We all get it that you can't play FPS games without back buttons but the reality is, well, you can't — not yet anyway.
I don't mind disagreements and I can accept different points of view. I simply don't trust his actual intentions, I welcome any actual debate in regards to these things.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
tenor.gif

Haptics aren't required, so yes, sony should just allow people to use their dual shocks on ps5. Nobody should be making excuses for it. Personally, it doesn't affect me as I have two dualsense controllers and they are so much better than the dual shock 4 in every way but still, its a greedy move from sony and this is them right now..

Pay Day Money GIF

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Haptics aren't required, so yes, sony should just allow people to use their dual shocks on ps5. Nobody should be making excuses for it. Personally, it doesn't affect me as I have two dualsense controllers and they are so much better than the dual shock 4 in every way but still, its a greedy move from sony.
I don't know which is worse, Sony not allowing it or people making excuses for it like they have a legitimate reason. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Dumb as bricks why you cant use a DS4 on the ps5 went over the a friends house to play some games we played MKX not only does the DS5/Dualsense whatever not add anything to the game the force feedback/vibration is completely toned down and it some instances it feels like its on off. And since he still has hes ps4 and ps3 we tested the DS5 doesnt work on either of them so if you still want to play ps3 good luck since sony stopped making controllers for the ps3 luckily there still making some DS4 controllers or you would be in the same situation as the DS3.

jaysius

Banned
The back button attachment added a fuck ton of input lag to my DS4 it was the one that shipped with the PS4 Pro. It was so bad that it made GoT unplayable.

I applauded Sony when they released the Back Button Attachment.

The thing was freaking $24.99 and did something a $179.99 Scuf could do. I'm not a fan of Scuf because of their quality control, constantly have to send it back in to get it fixed. Here was Sony with the Back Button Attachment at $24.99 works to this day, amazing. Just repeat the same but much sooner, I feel like it should have already been available.

It's definitely something they should do again. To abandon the idea after seeing it be successful on the PS4 is just stupid in my opinion.

Hopefully they bring it back instead of bringing out an elite style controller at a high price. That would definitely be a slap in the face to PS5 owners.

See last gen you enjoyed a 30$ attachment to get those paddles. But you can enjoy those same paddles again by buying our new 200$ controller. And if those paddles break or the controller does you will need another 200$.

At least with the accessory it's cheap to replace and you could always put it on another controller if the controller breaks.

Reactions: HTK

Larlight

As someone who bought a clear see through dualshock 4 controller only a year prior to the PS5 release, I admit I was a bit miffed about not being able to use it anymore. But then I realized I probably wasn't going to use it anyways over the dualsense and all its features. I just hope a clear/see through dualsense controller comes out soon rather than near the end of the generation so I can actually enjoy it for a while. Although I'm pretty sure I will miss the spinning rotors.

NOTE:
  • First and foremost, most of you are not even reading what the argument is about.
  • Second, please use your own critical thinking and stop regurgitating PR talking points.

1. Controllers ARE subjective because it's about comfort and last time I checked everyone has different hands, shit your left from right hand is not going to be identical. So yes, to some DS4 or even DS3 may be more comfortable so please stop with OMG how could you use the old controller argument, it's making my brain numb.
  2. As I mentioned 80 times before, only reason why I'm using the DS4 is because of the Back Button Attachment. So no matter how 1337 the DualSense is, if it lacks those back buttons/paddles it's useless to me as an FPS gamer that's used to using the back button/paddles. (If you've never used those buttons/paddles then you wouldn't understand how important that is. I'm not playing fucking Uncharted, I'm playing 14 year old sweats high on GAMEFUEL).
  3. There is not a single PlayStation 5 Game that cannot be played with a DS4. If I were able to play all of PS5 games with my DS4 I would be missing out on the haptic trigger stuff, but who cares because I turn that stuff off in the options anyway. Just like I've turned off RUMBLE in the DS2, DS3, and DS4.
Also, what is with this blind following like a sheep, Sony said it. It's next gen. Some of you just sound weird man, think for yourself. Jeez.
(If you've never used those buttons/paddles then you wouldn't understand how important that is. I'm not playing fucking Uncharted, I'm playing 14 year old sweats high on GAMEFUEL
They 100% dont get it and im sure the only MP most of these people play that are giving you the who cares line just played UC4 MP last gen where you didnt even need to aim half of the time back buttons are 100 needed for cod and other fps games now a days since some much stuff is mapped to now single buttons.

I'm surprised this is a question that people asked.
Unlike the Xbox One and Xbox Series controllers, there isn't feature parity between the Dual Shock 4 and Dual Sense. Not everybody cares about it but the Dual Sense adds some really interesting features that I'm personally glad are there, there's nothing wrong with essentially keeping the same controller across generations as happened on Xbox but I'm glad that hasn't happened here.
The only time that you've been able to use PlayStation controllers across generations was using PlayStation controllers on PlayStation 2 consoles and that was 21 years ago. I really could understand people being surprised if they couldn't use Dual Shock 4 controllers to play PlayStation 4 games on the PlayStation 5 but you can and the way things work here really shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. I could understand people's confusion if it was the norm for consoles to allow cross generational use of controllers but as I said, it isn't the norm for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to do that.
I could be wrong here, please correct me if I am but other than the PlayStation 2 supporting previous generation's controller 21 years ago, I think before that the last time it was possible was a limited use of Master System controllers on the Mega Drive and that was in 1988, 33 years ago.

Soodanim

you can actually use the touch pad for menus using DS4 on pc why that isnt a options on the ps4 blows my mind
I can’t give up the touch pad now that I’m used to it. At its most basic it’s a useful mouse, but when you throw in custom binds you can achieve some nice things. Touch, click, swipe, double press allow for quite a versatile input if you want to utilise it.

Sony wants developers to know that every PS5 player has the DualSense and all the features that go with it. This is the best way to ensure developers make use of those new features. Sony made the right decision.

Who are you calling "you people"?

There's no need go get so angry here. I wasn't trying to make you mad.

Not trying to abuse you here. Just relax.

Bob Ross Inspiration GIF
I am never upset at or from any posts here. I don't care enough to get upset. Quite nice of you to be clear you aren't being a shit. I am though. Just being a shit, but it doesn't make my words less they.
Most gamers would like to use older stuff with the "new" stuff.
With gaming I buy new devices for "new" experiences.
It is better and more importantly it's "new".
You call it greed but I call companies who can't innovate lazy or inferior with tech.
Again there is zero reason aside from greed to force this. All ps5s come with a the new controller. They are just forcing you to buy another. Again all other reasons are just bullshit and pr spin to get you to agree to spend more money. If more people complained they would 100% change the decision with zero difference to those who like the new controller. Why not be helpful to people instead of corporations.
I'm not defending just money. They already said they want let die the DS4 controller because they want the DS to replace it. How they can if they continues to support the DS4 for the ps5 games? It's part of their concept and strategy of console generation. I don't understand what is it so tough to understand about such strategy. It was always like this on console. You can't like it, but they have been quite transparent about it from the beginning.
Um I'm quite confident the we believe in generations confused most people when they announced all the cross gen games. They literally just said the opposite of what everyone was pissed at ms for saying.

breakfuss

Sony wants developers to know that every PS5 player has the DualSense and all the features that go with it. This is the best way to ensure developers make use of those new features. Sony made the right decision.
That’s funny, my PS5 came with a dualsense. I didn’t realize everyones didn’t. Lucky me.

Also, someone should let Sony know they’ve included the option to turn off adaptive triggers and haptics in the settings menu. The dualsense will still function of course, but if developers were to find out who knows what could happen!

Top Bottom