• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony? Why can't I use my dualshock on PS5 games?

assurdum

Banned
Well that's not the case, also controllers are very subjective for one person to the next. For example your new controller is terrible for FPS games without the back button attachment/paddles. This would all be gravy if they sold the attachment for the DualSense but they don't.
It's not subjective. The dorsal buttons layout is terrible on ds4. With Dual Sense I can reach all the buttons. DS4 is awful in comparison. It's literally impossible to me use the dorsal button and the front ones at the same time. I can't reach both together. DS is just so perfect. Probably the back button attachment support will coming first or later. But seriously come back to the DS4...gggh no thanks.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You guys always happy to point out flaws with Microsoft but don’t like it when Sony does the same or similar thing
Why you continue to talk about MS in this thread? Aren't you one of the guy who hated so much the console war arguments?

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
After playing MW2019 all of last year with the backbutton attachment, I can't imagine playing a non-halo fps with a normal controller.

Reactions: HTK
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Not theoretically, they simply can. They essentially have the same buttons, only thing that different is newer haptics in the triggers vs. old non-ones.
It's true though, BC for controller should absolutely be a thing when it technically would work with the game, especially for local multiplayer it's literally a godsend when you have another, let's say PS4 controller laying around and the system supports using it on another device, lets say the the PS5...
Nintendo is (sometimes) really nice with this approach. They have games that can be played with controller from generations ago. On the other hand you can't even use the analog triggers of the Gamecube controller for the Switch version of Mario Sunshine, so it's not a "Sony-only" problem.

assurdum

Banned
Yep, I'd actually like support in the opposite direction. Don't see any technical reason as to why they couldn't do it.
But there is a technical reason. Another story it's if you don't like it.

Last edited:

Fake

Yep, I'd actually like support in the opposite direction. Don't see any technical reason as to why they couldn't do it.

If I remember right, Dualshock 4 works on Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS5 while playing PS4 games, Windows, MacOS, Android.

The only Sony hardware Dualsense works are the PS5, with IDK why. Microsoft/Xbox did a decent job in this regards.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
There is a technical reasons.
Star Trek Bullshit GIF

HTK

Banned
NOTE:
  • First and foremost, most of you are not even reading what the argument is about.
  • Second, please use your own critical thinking and stop regurgitating PR talking points.

1. Controllers ARE subjective because it's about comfort and last time I checked everyone has different hands, shit your left from right hand is not going to be identical. So yes, to some DS4 or even DS3 may be more comfortable so please stop with OMG how could you use the old controller argument, it's making my brain numb.
  2. As I mentioned 80 times before, only reason why I'm using the DS4 is because of the Back Button Attachment. So no matter how 1337 the DualSense is, if it lacks those back buttons/paddles it's useless to me as an FPS gamer that's used to using the back button/paddles. (If you've never used those buttons/paddles then you wouldn't understand how important that is. I'm not playing fucking Uncharted, I'm playing 14 year old sweats high on GAMEFUEL).
  3. There is not a single PlayStation 5 Game that cannot be played with a DS4. If I were able to play all of PS5 games with my DS4 I would be missing out on the haptic trigger stuff, but who cares because I turn that stuff off in the options anyway. Just like I've turned off RUMBLE in the DS2, DS3, and DS4.
Also, what is with this blind following like a sheep, Sony said it. It's next gen. Some of you just sound weird man, think for yourself. Jeez.

Kupfer

Out of curiosity, I just checked if there is no solution for this serious problem, and I came across some available remapper modchips. So even if you don't have any clue on this topic, you would have the possibility and still enough time until friday to order one of these 10$ remappers, buy a 15$ soldering station and acquire the skill to build your own, for CoD indispensable, supercontroller.
remapper_ps5_wunschbelegung1.jpg
If you have the parts, it's a matter of like 1 hour work.

Last edited:
At least with PS4 games. With PS5 games I'm not so sure. The DualSense did cost them plenty to develop so they need to recoup those costs. Plus with every PS5 title requiring the Dualsense it gives the developers more of an incentive to incorporate those features into their games.

But that's just my opinion.
You are wrong. They are greedy and know they can get away with it. End of story. Everything else is bullshit fluff you guys like to regurgitate.
It sells.
It's a new generation and a new generation controller unlike XSX's offering.
Well if it was better maybe people wouldn't want their PS4 controllers to work on it. It's greed pure and simple. You can pretend like they like you and are doing it for you but they don't give a shit about you and only want your money.

To op
There is literally zero reason to not allow ds4 except to force you to spend more money. At NeoGAF any slight towards Sony will get you dog piled 100% of the time. You are right though. It's bullshit.
When it comes to PlayStation if you ain't fellatin you hatin.

assurdum

Banned
You are wrong. They are greedy and know they can get away with it. End of story. Everything else is bullshit fluff you guys like to regurgitate.

Well if it was better maybe people wouldn't want their PS4 controllers to work on it. It's greed pure and simple. You can pretend like they like you and are doing it for you but they don't give a shit about you and only want your money.

To op
There is literally zero reason to not allow ds4 except to force you to spend more money. At NeoGAF any slight towards Sony will get you dog piled 100% of the time. You are right though. It's bullshit.
Oh God. Aren't you here to blame Sony? Has anyone said to you or the op to stop it? Jeez that victimisation is tiring. In my opinion is part of their strategy, console and controller are all part of their concept of new generation. They communicate it multiple time. If someone doesn't like their vision there is a lot of offer outside the playstation hardware.

Last edited:

reksveks

Firstly there seem to be alot of Sony shareholders here whom are concerned about the profits of Sony.

Secondly its an arbitrary business decision to see more dualsense controllers, the fact that you can use a ds4 via remote play just highlights that.

Oh God. Aren't you here to blame Sony? Has anyone said to you or the op to stop it? Jeez that victimisation is tiring.
Is it not true? I'm not blaming Sony. I'm saying the Sony fans here are absolutely terrible. I have no issue with Sony. You though. I could do without.

HTK

Banned

To op

My PS+ subscription could be older than some of these folks probably hahaha I've had all the Sony consoles and love most of the stuff they do, but I'm not a blind fool about it.

assurdum

Banned
Is it not true? I'm not blaming Sony. I'm saying the Sony fans here are absolutely terrible. I have no issue with Sony. You though. I could do without.
Sony fans are terrible because they don't care to play with the older controller and laugh about such complain? Ok....I guess.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Firstly there seem to be alot of Sony shareholders here whom are concerned about the profits of Sony.

Secondly its an arbitrary business decision to see more dualsense controllers, the fact that you can use a ds4 via remote play just highlights that.
Firstly hardly someone care so much Sony finances.
Secondly all decisions of similar companies are all abirtrary business decisions. It's not like suddenly sony shows to you the cruel reality.

Last edited:

Schmick

Because they have to promise developers that every PS5 game will be played with a DualSense.

Hard to convince devs to support the DualSense if devs know most people will just use a DualShock 4.

It is exactly that. ps5 and dual sense are parts of their concept of console generation. Give full support to ds4 on ps5 for the new games could hurts the dual sense support. Furthermore less people would buy it. It's a vicious circle.

BS, theres no issue here Every PS5 bought new will come with a DualSense. So the devs know that a player will have one. Doesn't matter if a player decides to play with a DS4.

There is no good reason from a gamers point of view to not support DS4 on PS5 for PS5 games.

N.B. Anyone who 'LOL' this post I'll assume agrees with me.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
New console means new controllers... I mean that's how it has always worked?
sure, but having options is nice. Sony used to nail it with the PS2. You could just plug in a Dualshock 1 and it worked for a huge number of games.

HTK

Banned
I brought up a legitimate problem that can be solved with a firmware and all it would do is expand the options for the player and enhance the platform further. Or simply release the back button attachment for the DualSense, I'm okay with that as well. But do something, because as of right now I can't play any shooters this holiday season on my PS5 due to a controller, unless Scuf releases their version or BattleBeaver gets a grip on their supply.

Sheesh, you think advocating for more options and consumer freedom would be celebrated, not here however.

assurdum

Banned
BS, theres no issue here Every PS5 bought new will come with a DualSense. So the devs know that a player will have one. Doesn't matter if a player decides to play with a DS4.

There is no good reason from a gamers point of view to not support DS4 on PS5 for PS5 games.

N.B. Anyone who 'LOL' this post I'll assume agrees with me.
Good Lord. It's nice some console support the older controller. But now pretend it at all costs, what's the point of a new generation if the new controller it's not supported for the all the new games?

Last edited:
I agree with you 100% but around these parts you aren't really allowed to criticize Sony. It was dumb of them to not allow ds4 and it was only done to sell you more 100$ controllers. Any other reason is bullshit.

Sony fans are terrible because they don't care to play with the older controller and laugh about such complain? Ok....I guess.
Do you see my first post here? Was it not confirmed by the dog piling on the op for slight criticism that is very valid and due? I have zero issue with business being business, I take issue with people saying it's not about money when that is all it's about.
Firstly can't care less of Sony finances.
Secondly all decisions of similar companies are all abirtrary business decisions. It's time to stop to find the bad guy.
No one is saying they are the bad guy. They are doing what they exist to do. Make money. To defend that though as not just greed is pure nonsense.

S0ULZB0URNE

To op
Most gamers would like to use older stuff with the "new" stuff.
With gaming I buy new devices for "new" experiences.
It is better and more importantly it's "new".
You call it greed but I call companies who can't innovate lazy or inferior with tech.

assurdum

Banned
Do you see my first post here? Was it not confirmed by the dog piling on the op for slight criticism that is very valid and due? I have zero issue with business being business, I take issue with people saying it's not about money when that is all it's about.

No one is saying they are the bad guy. They are doing what they exist to do. Make money. To defend that though as not just greed is pure nonsense.
I'm not defending just money. They already said they want let die the DS4 controller because they want the DS to replace it. How they can if they continues to support the DS4 for the ps5 games? It's part of their concept and strategy of console generation. I don't understand what is it so tough to understand about such strategy. It was always like this on console. You can't like it, but they have been quite transparent about it from the beginning.

Last edited:

sainraja

There is a clear difference between the PS4 controller to the PS5 controller so it makes sense that the company would want to push for the PS5 controller's adoption (for money or otherwise) over one they are trying to phase out. Microsoft has no need to do this given they've made very minor changes to their controller from Xbox One to Xbox Series X. The change they have made does not make it a necessity for them to get people to use the new one. It's as simple as that.

The new features Sony has introduced will only gain traction if it's mandatory for PS5 games.

Last edited:
FWIW, my PS5 AimController has been great. They estimate ten weeks to week, but mine took five. That might be because I made no cosmetic changes, though.

HTK

Banned
Most gamers would like to use older stuff with the "new" stuff.
With gaming I buy new devices for "new" experiences.
It is better and more importantly it's "new".
You call it greed but I call companies who can't innovate lazy or inferior with tech.

Dude, please stop pretending that DualSense is some new alien advanced controller. It's plastic like it's predecessor with the same buttons with a different ergonomic shape and some new haptic motors. So please spare me the "NEW EXPERIENCES" argument, in the games that I have used the DualSense I've disabled your "NEW EXPERIENCE" because those have always been distracting gimmicks like the Six Axis and Rumble.

It's cool for a minute like most novelties before you turn them off, no I didn't get a hard on and they didn't revolutionize gaming with the DualSense so can we be real about these things and stop pandering?

Mr Moose

I brought up a legitimate problem that can be solved with a firmware and all it would do is expand the options for the player and enhance the platform further. Or simply release the back button attachment for the DualSense, I'm okay with that as well. But do something, because as of right now I can't play any shooters this holiday season on my PS5 due to a controller, unless Scuf releases their version or BattleBeaver gets a grip on their supply.

Sheesh, you think advocating for more options and consumer freedom would be celebrated, not here however.
If you've purchased the PS5 version from the Sony store, it'll be the Cross-Gen bundle which has the PS4 (Pro) version with it, you can play that one with the DS4 back buttons.
Hopefully they'll release a DualSense version and not at the end of the gen.

Top Bottom