• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony? Why can't I use my dualshock on PS5 games?

HTK

Banned
As you all know later this year we'll be treated to a Call of Duty: Vanguard and Battlefield 2042. Great! I'm excite as a PS5 owner.

HOLD UP!

Just booted up the Call of Duty: Vanguard ALPHA and guess what...my DualShock 4 controller with Back Button Attachments doesn't work because Vanguard is a PS5 game...so no DS4 support. This is a big problem for me as a shooter head and I cannot live without the back buttons/paddles.

- Did Sony release Back Button Attachment for DualSense? No, they did not.
- Does Scuf have a DualSense Scuf? No, they do not.
- Does Battle Beaver have Modded DualSense? Yes, but it's constantly sold out.

What I don't understand is why not allow the DualShock 4 to be used for shooters? I can tell you now if I were to play Call of Duty or any shooter using a DualSense I would be disabling all of their trigger tech as most serious players do. At least when it comes to FPS. This is something I believe they could easily fix with a software update.

Sorry had to vent, been using the DS4 over DualSense on Warzone because of the Back Button Attachment and it works since Warzone is the PS4 version...

/rant

bender

What time is it?
Battle Beaver? Battle Beaver!!!!

beaverwars.jpg

groundhog.jpg

Z2MCxojOtGuQ7qCyFd36WR42Asm4U18sZhorHaOwLBYjwoxISavXHhvf2oJ9PjR4C5oB0V07MFuQzkI7--EYfTA0ki-W7pOs1peiGEaUBoqr-lM3Fiky5Af5dUkujD7UxyJeUCOrrDtz-qcruHCVvAjENdKXeWg

assurdum

Banned
[...]
What I don't understand is why not allow the DualShock 4 to be used for shooters? I can tell you now if I were to play Call of Duty or any shooter using a DualSense I would be disabling all of their trigger tech as most serious players do. At least when it comes to FPS. This is something I believe they could easily fix with a software update.

Sorry had to vent, been using the DS4 over DualSense on Warzone because of the Back Button Attachment and it works since Warzone is the PS4 version...

/rant
Because otherwise Sony wouldn't have released the ps5 with the dual sense bundled...I mean it's from the ps5 announcement Sony warned people about it.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I agree with you 100% but around these parts you aren't really allowed to criticize Sony. It was dumb of them to not allow ds4 and it was only done to sell you more 100$ controllers. Any other reason is bullshit.
You are free to criticize what you want. But dual sense isn't costs free and sony needs to gain about it. It's called marketing.

Last edited:

Aldynes

I know the struggle but from a different genre, fighting games, like a customized pad, arcade sticks are costly and you tend to keep them for a long time, so I had to buy adapters to continue using mine, guess you'll have to do the same for your pad?

Kupfer

DualShock 4 controller with Back Button Attachments doesn't work because Vanguard is a PS5 game...so no DS4 support. This is a big problem for me as a shooter head and I cannot live without the back buttons/paddles.
Get the PS4 Version then?

It's not like Sony didn't communicate this over a year ago.

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?
The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?
No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Or diy and build your own SCUF, its not that hard to wire some buttons to the back.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Because otherwise Sony wouldn't have released the ps5 with the dual sense bundled...I mean it's from the ps5 announcement Sony warned people about it.
As a consumer I don't care. The new DualSense doesn't add any new buttons, or change anything drastically where you couldn't use the DS4 on PS5 games. All it has is new triggers tech/haptic stuff that can be turned off anyway. So I don't accept their approach to this.

I agree with you 100% but around these parts you aren't really allowed to criticize Sony. It was dumb of them to not allow ds4 and it was only done to sell you more 100$ controllers. Any other reason is bullshit.

At least with PS4 games. With PS5 games I'm not so sure. The DualSense did cost them plenty to develop so they need to recoup those costs. Plus with every PS5 title requiring the Dualsense it gives the developers more of an incentive to incorporate those features into their games.

But that's just my opinion.

wipeout364

How does this make it ok? It's a stupid policy and Sony should have just made the Ps4 controller an option unless a developer or publisher specifically wanted the dual sense features. 90% of the games being played right now have been designed around last gen with just upgraded graphical features and faster loading times on current gen.

HTK

Banned
It sucks for those who bought scuf etc. Some third parties now have paddles and buttons on the dualsense.

Unfortunately it's the only way to ensure developers spend time using the dualsense features. By knowing everyone on that platform will be using one.
If you really want to shove the features down our throats then why give us the option to disable them in the options?

S0ULZB0URNE

I know the struggle but from a different genre, fighting games, like a customized pad, arcade sticks are costly and you tend to keep them for a long time, so I had to buy adapters to continue using mine, guess you'll have to do the same for your pad?
I don't agree with you OP as the Dual Sense is new tech.

I do agree with this man as theirs no reason my PS4 fightpads and people arcade sticks shouldn't work.

assurdum

Banned
As a consumer I don't care. The new DualSense doesn't add any new buttons, or change anything drastically where you couldn't use the DS4 on PS5 games. All it has is new triggers tech/haptic stuff that can be turned off anyway. So I don't accept their approach to this.
You shouldn't buy the ps5 then 🤷‍♀️

assurdum

Banned
How does this make it ok? It's a stupid policy and Sony should have just made the Ps4 controller an option unless a developer or publisher specifically wanted the dual sense features. 90% of the games being played right now have been designed around last gen with just upgraded graphical features and faster loading times on current gen.
It's not a stupid policy. It's called new generation ecosystem. If you don't like their idea of console generation, you don't buy the ps5

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a way to prevent hackers using usb dongles to use third party controllers/K+M?

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Technically Sony do provide a way to use Dualshock on PS5 games.... via remote play 😆
So much for that new tech that is required for these new games right. :messenger_tears_of_joy: That's what I mean it has nothing to do with "NEW GENERATION and NEW TECH". There isn't a single DS4 that can't play a PS5 game button for button. Will you lose out on the stupid trigger/haptics sure, but for a lot of us we disable that stuff anyway because it's mostly a distraction. Sure, I'll leave it on for a single player game, why not.

assurdum

Banned
So much for that new tech that is required for these new games right. :messenger_tears_of_joy: That's what I mean it has nothing to do with "NEW GENERATION and NEW TECH". There isn't a single DS4 that can't play a PS5 game button for button. Will you lose out on the stupid trigger/haptics sure, but for a lot of us we disable that stuff anyway because it's mostly a distraction. Sure, I'll leave it on for a single player game, why not.
So much outrageous to play new games with a worst older controller. I don't get it. Sony has already explained their concept of console generation, the controller is part of it.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I won’t sacrifice devs adopting new tech just because cheap people want to be stuck in the past. Sorry not sorry op
It's not a matter of being cheap, it's that I have no choice.

I just told you;
- Sony hasn't released Back Button Attachments for the DualSense.
- Sony does not have a DualSense Pro
- Scuf Gaming 3rd Party Vendor, does not have DualSense Scuf Pad
- BattleBeaver can't meet the demand so they are always out of stock, why? Because its quite clear people want it.

All of this because Sony doesn't want to enable it in a firmware. Good job.

Kupfer

Didn’t Microsoft get criticised for exactly what your saying. Don’t like always online then we have a console for you
Don't get me wrong, but I don't get your point.

It's not a matter of being cheap, it's that I have no choice.

I just told you;
- Sony hasn't released Back Button Attachments for the DualSense
- Sony does not have a DualSense Pro
- Scuf Gaming 3rd Party Vendor, does not have DualSense Scuf Pad
- BattleBeaver can't meet the demand so they are always out of stock, why? Because its quite clear people want it.

Honestly, it sounds so stupid :D
You don't have a choice because Sony doesn't offer it. Then why does it bother you so much that you can't have it. And here's the funny thing - you can basically have it with the PS4 version.
It's like : I want to drive Tesla, but with a gasoline engine, because I've been driving with gasoline engines for the last 10 years. Shame on Tesla for not offering gasoline engines. I can't drive without the right sound.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
While I agree the dual shock should be supported for ps4 games, the controller is so much worse than the ps5 controller overall it should be illegal anyhow. Getting extra buttons at the expense of playing with a crappy controller seems at odds.

wipeout364

It's not a stupid policy. It's called new generation ecosystem. If you don't like their idea of console generation, you don't buy the ps5
How can you say that when the games were designed around the old controller? I can see your argument for returnal, astrobot, and ratchet but really that's it. everything else is a PS4 game last gen. Sony new gen seems a lot like the old gen looking at the games on display in their store. But I guess that doesn't fit the "we Believe in Generations" narrative.

kyliethicc

As you all know later this year we'll be treated to a Call of Duty: Vanguard and Battlefield 2042. Great! I'm excite as a PS5 owner.

HOLD UP!

Just booted up the Call of Duty: Vanguard ALPHA and guess what...my DualShock 4 controller with Back Button Attachments doesn't work because Vanguard is a PS5 game...so no DS4 support. This is a big problem for me as a shooter head and I cannot live without the back buttons/paddles.

- Did Sony release Back Button Attachment for DualSense? No, they did not.
- Does Scuf have a DualSense Scuf? No, they do not.
- Does Battle Beaver have Modded DualSense? Yes, but it's constantly sold out.

/rant
Because they have to promise developers that every PS5 game will be played with a DualSense.

Hard to convince devs to support the DualSense if devs know most people will just use a DualShock 4.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
How can you say that when the games were designed around the old controller? I can see your argument for returnal, astrobot, and ratchet but really that's it. everything else is a PS4 game last gen. Sony new gen seems a lot like the old gen looking at the games on display in their store. But I guess that doesn't fit the "we Believe in Generations" narrative.
It is exactly that. ps5 and dual sense are parts of their concept of console generation. Give full support to ds4 on ps5 for the new games could hurts the dual sense support. Furthermore less people would buy it. It's a vicious circle.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
So much outrageous to play new games with a worst older controller. I don't get it. Sony has already explained their concept of console generation, the controller is part of it.
Well that's not the case, also controllers are very subjective for one person to the next. For example your new controller is terrible for FPS games without the back button attachment/paddles. This would all be gravy if they sold the attachment for the DualSense but they don't.

K2D

Banned
Because DualSense is an insentive for Sony to charge extra per game. You're paying an extra $10 premium per game for 'next gen' features. Allowing you to forgo the DualSense for the Dualshock 4 would undermine their new business model.

Top Bottom