• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony? Why can't I use my dualshock on PS5 games?

RaySoft

As you all know later this year we'll be treated to a Call of Duty: Vanguard and Battlefield 2042. Great! I'm excite as a PS5 owner.

HOLD UP!

Just booted up the Call of Duty: Vanguard ALPHA and guess what...my DualShock 4 controller with Back Button Attachments doesn't work because Vanguard is a PS5 game...so no DS4 support. This is a big problem for me as a shooter head and I cannot live without the back buttons/paddles.

- Did Sony release Back Button Attachment for DualSense? No, they did not.
- Does Scuf have a DualSense Scuf? No, they do not.
- Does Battle Beaver have Modded DualSense? Yes, but it's constantly sold out.

What I don't understand is why not allow the DualShock 4 to be used for shooters? I can tell you now if I were to play Call of Duty or any shooter using a DualSense I would be disabling all of their trigger tech as most serious players do. At least when it comes to FPS. This is something I believe they could easily fix with a software update.

Sorry had to vent, been using the DS4 over DualSense on Warzone because of the Back Button Attachment and it works since Warzone is the PS4 version...

/rant
This is because Sony decided that all PS5 software can assume the user has a DualSense. This is a move by Sony to "shoehorn" the controller into PS5 games. i.e. making it more likely that devs actually take advantage of it.
If they didn't devs could have been more reluctant to include DualSense support, since players could also play the game with a DS4.

Last edited:

FrankWza

there is no physical reason to block DS4 support for PS5 games
There’s no physical reason for any controller they’ve released to not be compatible. DS3 too.
Why are we talking about Xbox here?
a similar situation. Again, DS3 doesn’t work on PS4 but I don’t think anyone cared. The 360 controllers don’t work on series. Why not? Its almost identical and uses the same wireless doesnt it? It’s an industry wide practice and there’s precedent.
It's arbitrary DRM, and I think it's pretty naïve TBH to believe Sony's stated reason.
How is it that naive but saying they’re only doing it to charge for new controllers not considered ridiculous? Especially since they also included Tempest in the controller and Cerny made a point of mentioning wanting everyone to be able to utilize it with their own headphones. That’s why there’s also a mic and mute button on each controller. They want these features used by as many people as possible.
If they were being greedy they would have blocked licensed flight sticks, hotas, fight sticks and pads and racing wheels.
Explain that logic to me.. now think for a second about what forcing DualSense support does.. it means.. you almost HAVE to buy a second, very expensive, profitable to Sony, controller w/ your PS5.
Same logic. They’re $70. The DS4 was $59.99 or $64.99 msrp and you bought a house full.
Sony even highlighted last year in a presentation that profits are about "accessories and software/services" not "console hardware" anymore.. it's not rocket science.
you needed them to tell you this? It’s been this way for decades. Doesnt matter when it was said.
Again. For me personally I don’t want to use a DS4 on my PS5 and the only reason I would have before is because I wanted back buttons. Now that I have them there’s no reason for me.
Them not supporting DS4 on PS5 games is not something I was hoping for. I just know they’re right when they take this approach and i prefer that they give incentive to the developers and gamers to utilize the physical and audio features that we have available.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Why not? Its almost identical and uses the same wireless doesnt it? It’s an industry wide practice and there’s precedent.
well, then this industry wide practice sucks dick.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Have you met the touchpad and the speaker? features that were available on the DS4? I don't think developers will adopt or utilize something just because it is there.

Sure.. but not sure what this has to do with this thread.. Sony didn't support DS3 on PS4 either and nobody implemented the features anyways.

IntentionalPun

How is it that naive but saying they’re only doing it to charge for new controllers not considered ridiculous?

Because it's blatantly obvious that this "industry standard" is a way to charge for new controllers. And people did bitch about this with the XBox One/PS4 too.. w/ DS4 it's particularly stupid because the controller itself IS supported lol, they just have DRM to block it for PS5 games.

Either way, you have yet to give a reason why blocking DS4 support somehow actually influences DualSense support for developers. It makes zero sense, particularly since the controllers are discontinued and will get harder to buy, old ones will break/etc.

The practice sucks; it sucks on Xbox it sucks on Playstation it sucks anywhere. These controllers already have a limited lifespan and are a nagging expense... they are functionally identical form a "what's required to play a game" standpoint and there is no reason other than profit to block usage of them.

Honestly I don't even understand why you are arguing this since you also used the "well they are a business everyone has to eat" argument earlier in the thread.. lol

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
All of this crying about DS4 reminds me that I need to buy a couple and store them for when my current controllers inevitability die.

IntentionalPun

I mean, they have a history of this, yes? Along with Nintendo more or less as well. And MSFT until the XSX.

Yeah; and it's a way to get people to buy new controllers.

Which isn't the end of the world; it's just annoying.. and it stands out in particular on the PS5 since they actually did implement DS4 support for BC lol

Honestly just confused why they even did that...

ReBurn

Gold Member

Which isn't the end of the world; it's just annoying.. and it stands out in particular on the PS5 since they actually did implement DS4 support for BC lol

Probably because things like haptics and adaptive triggers aren't supported by the DS4. A game that expects the controller to have certain features could probably break if the controller being used does not have those features. Unless we're expecting developers to also include support for older controllers in their games.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Along with Nintendo more or less as well.
Ah, I think they did it well during the Wii days. It was such a blessing that you could just plug in a Gamecube-Controller to play Mario Kart Wii for example, especially if you had friends around. You didn't have to buy 4 Wii-Motes.

FrankWza

Because it's blatantly obvious that this "industry standard" is a way to charge for new controllers. And people did bitch about this with the XBox One/PS4 too.. w/ DS4 it's particularly stupid because the controller itself IS supported lol, they just have DRM to block it for PS5 games.
I don’t disagree.
Either way, you have yet to give a reason why blocking DS4 support somehow actually influences DualSense support for developers.
I have. It’s not directly from a quote. It’s just what I think. It’s a more uniform approach that they know can be utilized. There’s no way someone using a DS4 will. There are a lot of new features. Historically, these types of features are usually met with skepticism.
Type surround sound headphones and people say it doesn’t exist. Type haptics and people say rumble. Even the back button was poo-pood when they announced it and I think it’s one of the best accessories ever made.
there is no reason other than profit to block usage of them.
This I don’t agree with. Like I said, they are allowing all licensed PS4 controllers to work on PS5. So if you bought a $500 racing wheel you can still use it. Sony would get a nice chunk off that sale by forcing a new one. Of course money has something to do with it. I don’t agree it’s the main reason.
Probably because things like haptics and adaptive triggers aren't supported by the DS4. A game that expects the controller to have certain features could probably break if the controller being used does not have those features. Unless we're expecting developers to also include support for older controllers in their games.
Yes and no. You could just turn off the features. But then we’re back to square one of them not being utilized. So the DS4 being used would guarantee someone not using any of the new features.

IntentionalPun

You can disable all DualSense specific features; and games have to work w/ those features off. There is no "breaking" of DS4s that would occur, they just would act like a DualSense w/ those features disabled.

sainraja

Sure.. but not sure what this has to do with this thread.. Sony didn't support DS3 on PS4 either and nobody implemented the features anyways.
I was just responding to your comment of features being supported simply because they are there. I wish that were true.

IntentionalPun

This I don’t agree with. Like I said, they are allowing all licensed PS4 controllers to work on PS5. So if you bought a $500 racing wheel you can still use it. Sony would get a nice chunk off that sale by forcing a new one. Of course money has something to do with it. I don’t agree it’s the main reason.

I just disagree w/ this logic; "they don't block wheels so therefor they aren't doing it for controllers for the money" is not how any of this works.. they make these decisions based on what they have to gain from them, not as some blanket policy.

Wheels are a much smaller market, likely an insignificant portion of Sony's revenue.. they have a much bigger reason to block DS4 support. Sony is well aware they dominated hardware last gen, most PS5 buyers own/owned a PS4.. and I bet the number of people who would forgo a second DualSense is pretty massive, if they let people use DS4 as a backup.

They also don't have their marketing excuse like they do with DualSense to throw around; so completely arbitrarily blocking old wheel support, when PS5 isn't supporting "new wheel" features for people who spent hundreds of dollars on them... they stand to look a lot worse... for very little gain.

As it stands with DualSense they have this excuse they can fall back on which apparently fans are willing to eat up lol <3

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ah, I think they did it well during the Wii days. It was such a blessing that you could just plug in a Gamecube-Controller to play Mario Kart Wii for example, especially if you had friends around. You didn't have to buy 4 Wii-Motes.
  1. NES to SNES to N64 to Gamecube, nada. Gamecube to Wii, yes. Then have since stopped.
  2. XBOX to 360 to XB1, nada. XB1 to XSX they allow.
  3. PS1 to PS2, yes. PS3 to PS4, nada. PS4 to PS5, only with PS4 games via BC.
This thread would not exist, nor be 10 pages in the great war, if line 2 didn't recently do what they did. Bet.

Me personally, I said this in another thread. After using the DuelSense for over a month, and turning on the PS4 the other day to update it, it felt odd and small like holding two little bulbs in the hand and I much prefer the DS now over the DS4. In fact, the DS3 felt less odd even though it is much smaller than the DS4, and I think it's because the handles "bulbed" out more than I noticed all those years prior.

But I know everyone's taste is different, and I am sure there is one of those little dongles on the way for people to use wired (or wireless), as they had with all consoles in the past.

Last edited:

FrankWza

This thread would not exist, nor be 10 pages in the great war, if line 2 didn't recent do what they did. Bet.
And i think it’s exactly the same controller going back 10 years. Not much of a goodwill gesture.
I just disagree w/ this logic; "they don't block wheels so therefor they aren't doing it for controllers for the money" is not how any of this works.. they make these decisions based on what they have to gain from them, not as some blanket policy.
I used wheels that time but it’s all peripherals that aren’t DualShock-like. They don’t or wouldn’t use the features other than tempest which could be possible over USB if the peripheral has a headphone port. So, something like the Astro c40 doesn’t work on PS5 games and that was a $160 controller. This is what they said:

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

Last edited:

RaySoft

You can disable all DualSense specific features; and games have to work w/ those features off. There is no "breaking" of DS4s that would occur, they just would act like a DualSense w/ those features disabled.
..and then there would be no intencive for devs to support the new features of the DualSense. it really is a nobrainer why Sony did what they did. The only reason why the last gen. Xbox controllers also works on the series, is because there really isn't any reasons why not since they are the same but a small difference in shape & form.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes.. we get it.. you didn't have to spell it out for us, your other 20 pots were rather obvious ;)
call the midwife GIF by PBS

IntentionalPun

Will DualShock 4 work with PS5 games?

No, we believe that PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller.

And again; this is completely contradicted by that other fact pointed out 100 times. That those games also have to support these features being disabled.

This thread has run it's course about 100 times at this point.

Let's agree to disagree, and EVERYONE GO PLAY THEM SOME GAMES!

(I'm playing Smite right now on PC myself)

IntentionalPun

..and then there would be no intencive for devs to support the new features of the DualSense

This makes zero sense. No incentive? So the features are pointless then? They aren't getting rave reviews? They aren't being pointed out in reviews for games that have good support?

All of that is false.. they have plenty of reason to support DualSense, suddenly allowing DS4... I don't even understand how it is in any way a factor. "Well I guess now that these controllers that will eventually fade into obscurity can be used, I won't support these new features getting rave reviews."

The system comes with a game that heavily features DualSense, and it's been a huge selling point.. it's been talked about a ton, etc. The incentive is making your game stand out.. anyone can already choose not to make their game stand out, as the features are optional.

OK I really am going to go play some games. (haha yeah right ILL BE BACK!)

Love y'all <3

Last edited:

RaySoft

This makes zero sense. No incentive? So the features are pointless then? They aren't getting rave reviews? They aren't being pointed out in reviews for games that have good support?

All of that is false.. they have plenty of reason to support DualSense, suddenly allowing DS4... I don't even understand how it is in any way a factor. "Well I guess now that these controllers that will eventually fade into obscurity can be used, I won't support these new features getting rave reviews."
Ofcourse it makes sense.. This is Sony's way of enforcing devs taking advantage of the the new features of the DualSense.. I'm surprised you of all people can't see that. Wheter that's a good or bad move is a complete other discussion.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
..and then there would be no intencive for devs to support the new features of the DualSense. it really is a nobrainer why Sony did what they did. The only reason why the last gen. Xbox controllers also works on the series, is because there really isn't any reasons why not since they are the same but a small difference in shape & form.
A garbage trigger effect that no one uses?

IntentionalPun

Ofcourse it makes sense.. This is Sony's way of enforcing devs taking advantage of the the new features of the DualSense.. I'm surprised you of all people can't see that. Wheter that's a good or bad move is a complete other discussion.
You seemed to have missed the part where they aren't forcing them lol

RaySoft

You seemed to have missed the part where they aren't forcing them lol
Ofcourse they have to cater to people that don't want the features, but they are not the devs are they? What I mean is that iif Sony didn't enforce a DualSense, there wouldn't be the same incentive for devs for support it, since millions of DS4 owners could still play your game if you chose to not support it.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
This is because Sony decided that all PS5 software can assume the user has a DualSense. This is a move by Sony to "shoehorn" the controller into PS5 games. i.e. making it more likely that devs actually take advantage of it.
If they didn't devs could have been more reluctant to include DualSense support, since players could also play the game with a DS4.
You know how tired I am of this bullshit ass explanation...

I get 100 reasons why, that doesn't mean that they are right about it. Guess what, I still haven't used any of the DualSense features, I turn it off. These gimmicks don't enhance shit especially in First Person Shooters where they can negatively affect your gun game.

If they were so serious about pushing the DualSense features then they wouldn't give me an option to turn them off in every game.

It's all about the Benjamin's and we can all stop pretending that it isn't.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You know how tired I am of this bullshit ass explanation...

I get 100 reasons why, that doesn't mean that they are right about it. Guess what, I still haven't used any of the DualSense features, I turn it off. These gimmicks don't enhance shit especially in First Person Shooters where they can negatively affect your gun game.

If they were so serious about pushing the DualSense features then they wouldn't give me an option to turn them off in every game.

It's all about the Benjamin's and we can all stop pretending that it isn't.

“Anti consumer and greedy!!!! Why don’t they let me turn off a feature I do not like”

“Greedy and anti consumer! They do not care about the DS features, otherwise they would not allow these features to be turned off”.

Again, DeepEnigma DeepEnigma stated eloquently and with examples (from consoles’ history) why this is a big drama. Not that it is undesirable to use a DS4 controller on PS5 (which again it is a half truth as you can do that for the many PS4 games you can play on it, right?), but well it is console war ammo more than anything. If it were not for the kind of carbon copied arguments in some posters it might be less blatant, but it would still be obvious IMHO.

Last edited:

wvnative

Sorry to hear. Thanks for the response. I’m always amazed how people always find a way to game no matter the difficulties they have to deal with. Hopefully a better solution comes your way

Thanks, even if there's challenges, I will always deal with them.

Vognerful

“Anti consumer and greedy!!!! Why don’t they let me turn off a feature I do not like”

“Greedy and anti consumer! They do not care about the DS features, otherwise they would not allow these features to be turned off”.

Again, DeepEnigma DeepEnigma stated eloquently and with examples (from consoles’ history) why this is a big drama. Not that it is undesirable to use a DS4 controller on PS5 (which again it is a half truth as you can do that for the many PS4 games you can play on it, right?), but well it is console war ammo more than anything. If it were not for the kind of carbon copied arguments in some posters it might be less blatant, but it would still be obvious IMHO.
Maybe I got late to the party....but is it to ensure that next games by other developers are also making games wih thse features?

but then why do they charge people more for using them? I don't mean they sell them more expensive, but that game upgrades require you to pay for dual sense features.

Top Bottom