• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony silence is a good sign.

Faithless83

Banned
We have people here pointing left and right their frustration on the lack of information on Sony's side.
So let's do an analysis on the possible reasons for this.

First of we can rule out fear, right?
They have a fairly decent launch line up so far and, to the disbelief of many, God of War Ragnarok is launching next year.

Second and most importantly, why such tight NDAs if they already mentioned the price and shown the console?
No tear down yet, but still no one is that tight on UI alone, right? Why should they?

New games? It could be, but the rumors point that they are still particularly protective of the hardware.

So let's dive into speculation for a bit:

They likely have a feature exclusive to the console that was not mentioned yet, something big enough to be worth keeping in the dark and not possible/present on previous generations.

"Play has no limits" is a decent campaign but what can actually cement this concept?
SSD comes to mind, but we already know about that. PS1/2/3 BC was shot down by Jim Ryan himself.
That said, Xbox one didn't have BC for a while as well. Not everything is dead forever.

Old PS games will look awful. How about this:

DlmLN5q.png

Not all patents turn out to be true, but who knows? Why not apply this to PS4 games?
PS5 could stream textures on the fly really fast. Another detail on the PS Plus Collection video:

0BAOQei.png

Why didn't they show the games running on PS5 from the getgo? It's a small selection that will be compatible at launch after all.

In the road to PS5, most of us were too focused on TFs to understand how much of a game changer the I/O on PS5 really is.
Aren't we doing the same now, complaining that Xbox is showing more and forgetting to see the big picture?

Besides, Sony spoke concisely so far and not out of response to Xbox every move.

In a world full of leaks left and right, aren't you ready to be surprised for a change? Like Sony E3 2015 surprised?

TL;DR/I communicate only through memes:
4kzEBQG.png

Dr Bass

I don't get the silence part, what have they not said that we're still waiting for? Is it about the UI? Do all the engineers at GAF want to see the PCB inside? i thought we knew the important stuff.

Engineers don't but a bunch of goofballs on either side are saying it's totally necessary or Sony is in failure mode.

Can you imagine such a thing?

Man at the store: "Hmmm, there seems to be a Playstation 5 in stock. It has a bunch of games I want to play, but I don't think I'll get it. There was no official teardown in September!"

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

DJT123

No-one can comprehend the existential complexity of the SSD Cerny spawned out of an egg. When they manage to unravel some of its secrets they'll let us know. They haven't even heard about the Zenimax acquisition yet.

Yoboman

We've got people here thinking that showing Digital Foundry backwards compatibility is a marketing strategy, while Sony continues to break social media records and engagement with their less is more approach - puttibg out content on their own timeline and engaging actually popular influencers like Travis Scott

Safe to say NeoGAF doesn't know what its talking about

Concern

Yeaaaaa im not buying what you're selling op. Weren't we promised a teardown of the console like 6 months ago?

And so far the silence hasn't been a good sign when its been followed by bad news like $70 games, cross gen exclusives, no free Spiderman upgrade.

This has been the most lackluster lead up to a new generation for both consoles. Only difference is ms has at least been transparent.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Makes you wonder, but let's play it safe
the UI looks just like the PS4, so there's nothing to show
PS4 games look just the same as they did on PS4 but with faster loading, yet again
Nothing to show

But what if Sony has another showcase in October?
What if there is stuff they haven't shared..
Important stuff
But with how much the Xbox Diehards have worked themselves up, I can't see handling anything remotely good regarding PS5
biblical.GIF

BUT
I honestly believe they ain't got anything more to show..

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Patents mean absolutely nothing. EA has a patent where you pay money to make the game easier and it’ll probably never see the light of day.

sircaw

Banned
We have the you-tubers/influencers what ever you call them coming soon, next week i believe.
We have seen wonderful gameplay of next-gen games
There is a fantastic line up of new games to play.

I would say Sony has a plan and are sticking to it, i think everything is going good for them.
We as gamers are just impatient, chances are even if they showed us a break down tomorrow, a day later we would just complain and want more.

We are never satisfied.

good news we have waited so long its what another 6 weeks away, its going to be amazing for everyone.

Faithless83

Banned
I work in marketing and no....it is not a good sign not telling your atributes.
Clearly Sony is not going for a back and forth with the completion. Rumors pointed that Sony is going rampant on exclusive deals. They had their strategy dead set from the start. Why waste the bullets 2 months from launch? They are going for an "Apple approach" to the launch. Pre-orders are opened (and demand is great), the games shown were running on hardware. To the average consumer, it's all they care. They are now aiming for those still "on the fence".

This is when we'll start seeing what they are so secretive about.

Iced Arcade

Yeah just like they did launching this gen when they had the hardware upper hand... Wait no it was polar opposite lol

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

We've got people here thinking that showing Digital Foundry backwards compatibility is a marketing strategy, while Sony continues to break social media records and engagement with their less is more approach - puttibg out content on their own timeline and engaging actually popular influencers like Travis Scott

Safe to say NeoGAF doesn't know what its talking about
If you accept less then you will get less

TeKtheSanE

It’s neither good nor bad. It’s business.
I just think their selection of youtubers is interesting, most are just entertainers and content creators. But it will work out for them well because they are all popular Japanese youtubers and will do nothing but praise the system. I'm just hoping for some real good examples of what the PS5 experience is like from them.

base

Banned
Sony's strategy is simple. Let people complain about TFlops and in about 2 months boom, check mate. They are cocky as always.

They are in this business for many years. People who are complaining should have some faith in them.

sircaw

Banned
Top Bottom