• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no massmarket price for last gen consoles?

sunnysideup

Banned
They are still great gaming systems. But cost way to much.

In sweden the ps4 slim 500gb goes for 350 euro. That is way to expensive. It is more expensive than the widely available series s.

You used to be able to buy consoles for 99euros this time in the generation. With inflation, ps4 should cost 199 now, at worst 249.

Remember how sony repackaged ps2 and reach new markets with ps2. Why are they not doing that now?

I sold my One S for$180 and my One X for$200 just this week using offer up. Guess there is still somewhat of a demand for these as it's still very hard to find next gen units.

Pull n Pray

Banned

In sweden the ps4 slim 500gb goes for 350 euro. That is way to expensive. It is more expensive than the widely available series s.

You used to be able to buy consoles for 99euros this time in the generation. With inflation, ps4 should cost 199 now, at worst 249.

Remember how sony repackaged ps2 and reach new markets with ps2. Why are they not doing that now?
Demand is high because of the pandemic. And supply is limited because of the semiconductor shortage. I sold my Xbox One X recently for only $25 less than what I paid for it nearly 2 years ago.

Chastten

Banned
Funny thing is, until 2016 or so, the PS4 was regularly available for €180-€200 including a few games during Black Friday/January/Summer sales. Most of my friends got one early in the gen for that price.

It's only in recent years that most prices have gone up, guess it's just a matter of supply and demand.

sunnysideup

Banned
It started with ps3. But that was because it to expensive to manufacture. Mechanical hdd dont really go down in price, they go up in capacity.

I dont think that is the case with ps4, especially if they throw in a cheap as shit slow ssd in it.

Last edited:

Greed and pandemic

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably a combo of demand and MS and Sony didn't go nuts making supply of old consoles.

The 360/PS3 era was nuts. MS and Sony had so many console versions. It got to a point you could get a 360 4gb versions in Canada for $120 and I remember PS3 12gb edition were dumped for $200. Which means in the US they must had been even cheaper.

sunnysideup

Banned
If you buy a second hand ps2 in europe. There is like a 50% chance it is a slim model with singstar or buzz. A lot of ps2 where sold to ultra casuals in the family and kids segment in the twilight years.

Some of that is lost to mobile. @ 350 they are not even trying. There is still a huge kids market. Nintendo is very successful targeting that.

Last edited:
Because there is no production and logistics capacity for it.

And the Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro have a worse margin than the Series S already.

Top Bottom