• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why NetEase and Quantic Dream are teaming up for games on multiple platforms

Shin

Banned
For the past 12 years, Quantic Dream has been making exclusive video games like Detroit: Become Human and Heavy Rain for the PlayStation 4. But Chinese internet company NetEase Games announced today it has acquired a minority stake in Quantic Dream.

And that means that Quantic Dream will now make interactive storytelling games for a wider number of platforms. The deal is the latest between a big Chinese game publisher and a talented Western development studio. Quantic Dream will now expand its hiring and have the resources to invest in its next generation of games, said David Cage, cofounder of Quantic Dream, in an email interview with GamesBeat.

The 22-year-old Paris, France-based studio will continue to operate independently under the direction of industry veterans Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumière. That’s important for preserving the creativity of a studio that made Detroit: Become Human, a powerful parable about modern society’s mad rush to make a new generation of slaves in the form of human-like androids.

Credit: VentureBeat
Alt story: NetEase invests in Quantic Dream

Last edited:

Tarkus98

This will hopefully be good for QD. Also other console owners can now experience the sheer brilliance of David Cage’s storytelling /s
Seriously though I really do hope this works out for QD. I do enjoy their games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looks like Cage felt the heat of all the issues he caused last year with the sexual and verbal harassment claims and realized that he needed to get guaranteed funding as fast as possible, instead of hoping Sony would forgive him for their poor work environment.

Dunki

I do not know how to feel about that. With Sony they had a free pass and could create what they wanted now it will probably a bit different but we will see, with their next game

Looks like Cage felt the heat of all the issues he caused last year with the sexual and verbal harassment claims and realized that he needed to get guaranteed funding as fast as possible, instead of hoping Sony would forgive him for their poor work environment.
Not only do I think that Detroit was their best work yet I also would put this easily in my Top 10 GOTY list.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I don’t see why they wouldn’t go the way of telltale.

When you can experience a game the same way on YouTube as you would playing it... then something is wrong.

bitbydeath

That’s disappointing, no way they’d receive the same funding as they had from Sony to make games, quality is going to dive.

mejin

I don’t see why they wouldn’t go the way of telltale.

When you can experience a game the same way on YouTube as you would playing it... then something is wrong.

Welp, Telltale is not alive to tell a tale anymore. lol

That’s disappointing, no way they’d receive the same funding as they had from Sony to make games, quality is going to dive.

They still can make good games with less money, but Cage will miss Sony Worldwide Studios support no doubt.

mckmas8808

They still can make good games with less money, but Cage will miss Sony Worldwide Studios support no doubt.

That marketing, stage time, and 1st party toolset help they got is almost impossible to calculate how valuable that all was. What is QD without the long dev time leach, research, and money they got from Sony?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Sure but we’ve seen this before from Evolution Studios to Supermassive Games. The graphical quality suffers moving away from Sony.

mckmas8808

Sure but we’ve seen this before from Evolution Studios to Supermassive Games. The graphical quality suffers moving away from Sony.

Great point! The point couldn't be more clear with those two studios. It's overly clear the help Sony's money and research on tech does for those companies.

I'd say we saw a similar thing with Ready at Dawn too.

They went from this.......
the-order-1886-screen-06-ps4-us-05feb15

the-order-1886-screen-02-ps4-us-12aug14

The_Order_638_-_Frame_7543_1422884091.png

To this........

Deformers.png

0-gst-ps4-deformers-truegamers-1805-12-F977176_2.jpg

0-gst-ps4-deformers-truegamers-1805-12-F977176_4.jpg

joe_zazen

QD is expanding, why would that mean quality would go down? Anyway, interesting development in that it is one less Sony affiliated studio making PS gsmes. I do wonder if it was QD’s decision to leave or Sony firing them.

That marketing, stage time, and 1st party toolset help they got is almost impossible to calculate how valuable that all was. What is QD without the long dev time leach, research, and money they got from Sony?

Now that Sony has decided to forgo E3, you can check "stage time" off your list of resources that Sony provides. I think QD is making a good choice here honestly. With a 90 million PS4 install base and only 2-3 million copies of their latest game sold, that is a horrible 2.8% attach rate. Multiplatform is the way to go.

Shmunter

I’m forever stunned Sony is letting devs like this slip through their fingers. QD defines the PS brand.

Closing Evloution Studios, sayonara arcade racing exclusives. Not locking down What Remains of Edith Finch or Rime was also a head scratcher.

To Sony: you’re diverse, high quality line up is why many are attracted to your platform. The 3rd person over the shoulder games are great, but it can’t be all there is. This won’t end well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
QD were always independent, so nobody has "lost" anything.

Sounds to me that they will likely branch out onto PC and mobile.

Great Hair

Banned
Good graphics, acting and storytelling confuse certain gamers and they literally can't believe what they saw videos of aren't actual video games.

Good gfx check
Good acting ... wut?
Good story telling ... wut?

Let´s all move to canada! Androids are Welcome here ... Denied Citzenship Welcome to Canada,

"Female US President witness how 2x androids make out on Live TV"
"STOP THE WITCHHUNT!!" "they are clearly capable of empathy!" "they can even sing!"

The schematic gameplay of Detroit was a chore ... rewind please, replay the scene for some "tangible" change. What a load of horse radish ...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Now that Sony has decided to forgo E3, you can check "stage time" off your list of resources that Sony provides. I think QD is making a good choice here honestly. With a 90 million PS4 install base and only 2-3 million copies of their latest game sold, that is a horrible 2.8% attach rate. Multiplatform is the way to go.

If there is a big reason another console base would live it more perhaps. I do not think Beyond sold badly, but if you think it does then there are other problems that spending money to port it to other consoles. QD enjoyed having PS4 HW access before many others and thus more time to fine tune their tech and product around that HW. Going multiplatform for them means rising cost to get the same quality or have to take a hit in their ambitions.

Sad to hear that a story and character based developer did not continue working around a single lstform and making it sing really well but happy more people will get to enjoy their games (sad that it will be the only way for some of those additional gamers to give QD a bit of respect... see NMS right before it became multiplatform and now... a lot less rage ;)).

Shin

Banned
Whether people like QD, their games or it's personnel one thing is for sure they know how to remain profitable with very little.

mejin

oh come on, now...Sony will come back full force on 2020.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
In a way it's a real shame they didn't continue in the direction they started out in with The Nomad Soul (aka Omikron). The first act of that is brilliant, albeit the shooting section is fucking horrible. Nomad Soul feels like a game that could have been amazing with a bit more time in the oven.

Except they always made games.
Show me where the gameplay is because most of the time it's either cutscenes or sit back and hit whatever button pops up on the screen.

If you can watch just the cutscenes to get a feeling for how the game may turn out, that's a problem. Only QD could make gamers debate against what constitutes as a game or wannabe movie.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Show me where the gameplay is because most of the time it's either cutscenes or sit back and hit whatever button pops up on the screen.

If you can watch just the cutscenes to get a feeling for how the game may turn out, that's a problem. Only QD could make gamers debate against what constitutes as a game or wannabe movie.

This is my problem tbh - Nomad Soul was a game, and it was bloody good (if unfinished). The later stuff, to me, was just QTEs.

Ar¢tos

QD is not just a gaming studio, they are also one of the best motion capture studio in Europe providing services for cinema and TV. Maybe they will start using money from that area to help fund their games.

mckmas8808

Sony are really screwing themselves on that E3 decesion.

But on QD, don't forget that xDev has been helping them create QD's games. Who is xDev? They collaborate with independent development studios across Europe to publish content to PlayStation platforms all over the world. In addition to funding projects, XDev offer full production, project management and game design support. Titles are also supported with community management, online production and dedicated outsourcing management facilities. XDev work directly with Marketing and PR teams in all Sony territories to promote and publish games worldwide (per their website).

This is xDev's pinned tweet on Twitter.

They were the research muscle behind the creation of what we seen in Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, and Detriot. I have zero clue what QD can do "technically" without them.

vpance

Interesting. So Cage sold out for that pile of cash huh.

It's probably the payoff they've been waiting for ages. Sony wasn't willing to overpay but a Chinese megacorp did, so you jump.

Last edited:

I wouldn't assume that this change would automatically mean less funding for QD. I'm surprised that so many don't seem to realize that Tencent's market cap is MUCH larger than Sony - $429B for Tencent vs.
$65B for Sony. Tencent has PLENTY of money. We'll just have to see what this translates into. QD could have MORE funding with this deal.

EDIT: OOPS. I have no idea why I thought it was Tencent. Carry on. I will leave my post here so everyone can laugh at me.

EDIT 2: Wait, I just looked. Netease has a cap of $836B!? Okay, my original post is valid even more so now that I know how much money Netease has! They have more than 10x the market cap of Sony!

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume that this change would automatically mean less funding for QD. I'm surprised that so many don't seem to realize that Tencent's market cap is MUCH larger than Sony - $429B for Tencent vs.
$65B for Sony. Tencent has PLENTY of money. We'll just have to see what this translates into. QD could have MORE funding with this deal.

EDIT: OOPS. I have no idea why I thought it was Tencent. Carry on. I will leave my post here so everyone can laugh at me.

EDIT 2: Wait, I just looked. Netease has a cap of $836B!? Okay, my original post is valid even more so now that I know how much money Netease has! They have more than 10x the market cap of Sony!
They have a $34 billion market cap, where on Earth are you getting $836 billion?

LMJ

I know they've had exclusives with PS since PS3, but folks do remember this isn't their 1st multi plat game right?

The amazing acid trip that was Indigo Prophecy : )

They have a $34 billion market cap, where on Earth are you getting $836 billion?

That makes a lot more sense! I really haven't looked into Netease previously. But this is what came up when I did an initial search:

qidGICZ.png

But after seeing your post, I did a search on Bloomberg, and got $33.4B cap. So that initial result that shows up is seriously wrong!

mckmas8808

That makes a lot more sense! I really haven't looked into Netease previously. But this is what came up when I did an initial search:

qidGICZ.png

But after seeing your post, I did a search on Bloomberg, and got $33.4B cap. So that initial result that shows up is seriously wrong!

Also keep in mind that it's also not about how much money a company has, but how much they give to David to make a game. Are we sure Netease will believe in David the way Sony did? Sony darn near have David a blank check and almost unlimited time and freedom to make his games.

Will Netease do the same?

I used to hate QD games but Detroit become Human completely changed how look at QD now coz i was really impressed by Detroit.

Vastly improve game compared to previous QD games.

Top Bottom