• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHY isn't there more hype for Necromunda?! (Valkyria Chronicles fans GET ITT!!)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Game seems to take Valkyria Chronicle's real-time movement with turn-based /stat based aiming. What grabs my attention are the maps. They seem designed for ambushes, chokepoints, and other such strategies. Maps in VC are pretty...simplistic in most missions. This gives you all sorts of doo dads to interact with like ziplines and stuff. Might it be simplistic? Sure. It does have a randomly-generated mode so there must be some modularity to the map design.

Looks cool to me so far. I was eyeing Mutant Year Zero as my next tactical RPG but I might pick this one up early next year and give it a spin.

Impressions from others?

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
My most highly anticipated game right now.

But I've read absolutely nothing about, and refuse to watch videos because I want to go in blind.

I'm hyped because this is the next game from the guys behind Mordheim, an awesome turn based tactical game ik the same vein as Necromunda. These are Games Workshop properties in the Warhammer and Warhammer 40k universes. So they're probably gonna be pretty similar.

Mordheim was awesome in how you could customize characters . Got some hero you really love? Tough, a loss in battle might mean he loses an arm, makes him better at dodging though.

Play Mordheim.

Kazza

Was expecting some random assholes fighting on NOT Europe with cool uniforms and fat mana tanks

get mad max like shit

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Haha. I have to admit, I much prefer the colourful, watercolour look of Valkyria, rather than the super dark look of this one, but I might give it a try so long as the gameplay is good.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Another trailer, this time focusing on the 26 included maps. There is also a procedurally-generated map mode included in the game that was not shown (not sure if that mode is roguelike or just randomly generated).

The devs reiterated that the maps are all gridless, so even though the combat is turn based, movement is like a typical 3rd person shooter (or like Valkyria Chronicles)

sublimit

Banned
Haha. I have to admit, I much prefer the colourful, watercolour look of Valkyria, rather than the super dark look of this one, but I might give it a try so long as the gameplay is good.
Yup.As a huge fan of VC's colorful art style that contrastef the theme of the game the art of this one is an instant turn off for me. :/

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It kinda makes me wish this was in the 40k universe featuring the sister's of battle... Sadly its just some generic not 40k world and the character models don't look intresting to me, VC sold me on its "world" and look, this does a very poor job at getting me interested even if its the same sort of "Hogs of War" battle system that VC shares.

Last edited:
It kinda makes me wish this was in the 40k universe featuring the sister's of battle... Sadly its just some generic not 40k world and the character models don't look intresting to me, VC sold me on its "world" and look, this does a very poor job at getting me interested even if its the same sort of "Hogs of War" battle system that VC shares.
Necromunda is 40K.

It's a spin off game set on one of the hive worlds, that's been about for almost 30 years. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/searchResults?N=3281529261+2459170981

Also I did not know this existed, but I will definitely be getting it.

And while they've clearly been hit by the woke, masculine, ugly stick, I'm still House Escher for life.
dh5nwIZ.jpg

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Another trailer, this time focusing on the 26 included maps. There is also a procedurally-generated map mode included in the game that was not shown (not sure if that mode is roguelike or just randomly generated).

The devs reiterated that the maps are all gridless, so even though the combat is turn based, movement is like a typical 3rd person shooter (or like Valkyria Chronicles)

I can't watch videos right now, but is it comparable to Mordheim, where you had action points and each point was represented by a ring you could movie within, and once you crossed the border you lost a point?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I can't watch videos right now, but is it comparable to Mordheim, where you had action points and each point was represented by a ring you could movie within, and once you crossed the border you lost a point?
No, it looks more free-form than that

GymWolf

Yeah i saw cohh playing this and it looks cool even if the genre is not exactly my cup of tea.

Is this similar to mutant year zero?

Hudo

You've lured me in here with Valkyria Chronicles. So I'll look into it now, lol.

Btw, I can also recommend Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus as an awesome and severely underrated turn-based strategy game.

Top Bottom