• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the PlayStation 5 suddenly "$399.99" when the PlayStation 3 was "$599 US Dollars"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurro

Banned
Because I have basically an infinite amount of things I could be doing and for this period of time I am choosing to do this. Half of the fun of a console generation is posting on a forum, playing is another component to the overall experience.

Ah, that's ok, I know there's nothing to talk about on the Xbox side since it has no games, so it was just a friendly joke. ;)

Btw, why does the PlayStation 5 being 399 bother you? :)

Last edited:

Dogman

This is meant to be dumb, because the entire premise of the way people behave is in fact dumb. Views change like the shifting of the wind looking for a way to one up something else at the sacrifice of logical consistency.

Also why would I ignore you? I didn't even know you existed before this previous post you made. You don't like what is being said so the move on your part is to ignore me, not the other way around.
There is logical consistency and people have already explained it to you but all you have to say is "ok but that makes it A ps5 not THE ps5, which is idiotic.

And I never asked you to ignore me specifically. You're making this thread because you're upset about how people refer to the PS5, meanwhile you're telling me to ignore your stupidity. If you don't like the way other people talk, use that ignore button for those who say the PS5 is $400 and call it a day. Follow your own advice.

Ah, that's ok, I know there's nothing to talk about on the Xbox side since it has no games, so it was just a friendly joke. ;)

Btw, why does the PlayStation 5 being 399 bother you? :)
The PlayStation 5 being $399 doesn't bother me, because it isn't, it's $499. The PlayStation 5 Digital Edition is $399.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The PlayStation 5 being $399 doesn't bother me, because it isn't, it's $499. The PlayStation 5 Digital Edition is $399.

No, PS5 is $399, the other is just a base PS5 with a Blu-Ray add-on combo allowing the extra convenience of installing games offline and UHD movies playback is $499. /s...

Last edited:
No, PS5 is $399, the PS5 with Blu-Ray add-on allowing the extra convenience of installing games offline and UHD movies playback is $499. /s...
No, the PlayStation 5 is $499.99 + tax. The PlayStation 5 Digital Edition is $399.99 + tax.

See you're even trying to spin this right now calling the Blu-Ray drive an "add-on", it's not, it's the core system feature of the actual console. The Digital Edition has the OMISSION of a Blu-Ray drive.

Vaztu

What a shit thread and intellectually dishonest one.

If PS5-DE is not a PS5 then you should label XS-X|S as not a next gen console. Cause they don't have next gen features like USB-C or WIFI6. "ItS nOt fEaTuRE MaTCheD LiKe tHe CoMpetiTiOn"

Stop the shitposting and close the thread.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Sultan711

Neo Member
Look man I’m sorry that the Playstation 5 is cheaper than the Series X. I know you’re triggered but that’s okay! Just drink a cup of tea, relax a bit, maybe play some Series X exclusives? Oh wait...

Look man I’m sorry that the Playstation 5 is cheaper than the Series X. I know you’re triggered but that’s okay! Just drink a cup of tea, relax a bit, maybe play some Series X exclusives? Oh wait...
It's factually not cheaper, it is the same cost. The Digital Edition is cheaper.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's factually not cheaper, it is the same cost. The Digital Edition is cheaper.

When I play a game on my PlayStation 5 Digital Edition, it will look and perform exactly the same because... it’s a PlayStation 5. There won’t be any features missing because... a blu ray disk is not a feature, it’s a distribution solution.

The PlayStation 5 price starts at 399$.

But you’re right when you tell others to put you on ignore. If only you were funny, or cute, or naive, something. But instead you’re just a bitter fool.

Last edited:

N30RYU

PS3 was that expensive for two reasons... 1, 'cause the PS2 hardware retrocompatibility and the Cell engine... it wasn't that hard to emulate just for nothing... and 2, they didn't expect MS releasing a console as good as the 360 (ironically... MS suffered the same with the XBO not expecting the PS4 in a sony in it's money lows).

PS5d is $399.99, 'cause sony need to prevent as much ppl as possible from subbing to gamepass... 'cause the $299.99 Series S is an amazing gamepass value for casual gamers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY selling $600 consoles back than was impressive, obviously the lower launch price connects with the masses more.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, the PlayStation 5 is $499.99 + tax. The PlayStation 5 Digital Edition is $399.99 + tax.

See you're even trying to spin this right now calling the Blu-Ray drive an "add-on", it's not, it's the core system feature of the actual console. The Digital Edition has the OMISSION of a Blu-Ray drive.

No no, it is a great enhancement to the base console to prevent the backlash of people that wanted to buy games from a store in a disc based format. So they took PS5 and added a Blu-Ray drive.
You have watched the teardown of the PS5, right, you have seen the shape/shell of both versions of PS5 right? Which one seems like a PS5+add-on to you?

Look, I am not happy Sony is pushing for a digital only feature too, even if in a half hearted way, but if you want to play “this” game... fill your boots.

There are two PS5 models that differ only in the way games can be distributed/installed from: disc + digital or digital only. MS could have taken the same approach, but chose differently... you seem angsty about it.

Last edited:
No no, it is a great enhancement to the base console to prevent the backlash of people that wanted to buy games from a store in a disc based format. So they took PS5 and added a Blu-Ray drive.
You have watched the teardown of the PS5, right, you have seen the shape/shell of both versions of PS5 right? Which one seems like a PS5+add-on to you?

Look, I am not happy Sony is pushing for a digital only feature too, even if in a half hearted way, but if you want to play “this” game... fill your boots.
Now you're trying to say the DE is the base console, lol dude. Wow.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's a completely different piece of hardware intended to tackle a different display segment and sector of the market. It's like an RTX 2060 versus a 2080, they're a completely different product.
This logical answer won't sit well with a certain segment. These are the people that claim that nobody will buy it because they can just get a PS5 digital, failing spectacularly to realize that the game services Microsoft provides are far superior for the budget friendly consumer. This is just more value.

Just a different type of machine for the service oriented crowd. Not the enthusiasts.

It's all sold out. All of it, both sides.

Yeah, yeah, this local Target has four, this website had three for ten seconds. For all intents and purposes, they're all gone.

Not in EU.

There were +20 units of S in biggest local electronic store today and their site statistics show thay there are hundreds of units in warehouse and at least half of their physical stores have them on the shelf. Heard similar reports from Sweden + Slovakia too.

USA isnt the whole world, and if MS cant compete on EU+Asia, they always sell less

Last edited:

Fbh

In short.

Regular people:
"So what car do you drive"
"Oh I have a 2015 Toyota RAV4"
"Cool".

Op:
"So what car do you drive".
"Oh I have a 2015 Toyota RAV4".
"No you don't!!!!!"
"What?"
"You don't , stop lying"
"It...it's parked right there!"
"That's not a RAV4"
"What? It clearly is"
"Nope. On closer inspection that's a front wheel drive RAV4 XLE so it's not top of the line which means it's a RAV4 but it's not the RAV4 which means it's not really a RAV4 but rather a front wheel drive XLE RAV4 so don't be a Toyota fanboy and stop lying about which car you have"

Last edited:

DESTROYA

It's a completely different piece of hardware intended to tackle a different display segment and sector of the market. It's like an RTX 2060 versus a 2080, they're a completely different product.
Are you retarded?
Thats a really dumb comparison , they are the same product just they do things at different levels of performance.
The PS5 DE can do everything the disc version can when it comes to playing PS 5 games.

I don't remember anyone in 2005 saying the Xbox 360 was $299.99 because that's what the 360 Core cost, on the contrary it was $399.99 because that was the actual feature complete Xbox 360 cost.

1 - I never though it was fair to pretend the PS3 was 599 (the 20GB PS3 model was not gimped, it had a small HDD that was as big as the one in the complete 360) is I am not wrong--this is a fanboy fallacy
2 - The 360 core had NO hdd at all, to get an HDD your only option was to buy a costly proprietary option, by the end of the gen some games required its presence

I don't think there is a clear answer for the PS5 digital edition, for some (probably a lot) going all digital is the way to go, they really don't care for whatever benefits disc based games provide... for better or for worst it makes sense to a lot of people, especially lazy bastards like me. I used to pirate PC games so I would not have to go get them at the store (or install from physical media), it's just more practical.

Not related to the thread, but hey:

Seriously what the hell is wrong with this guy? He seems to be borderline mad/cuckoo at this point.

Why is it all Xbox ‘fanboys’ seem to be losing the plot. You guys need some time away from the forum.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Look, just because its an INSANE value next to the Series X doesnt make it disingenuous.

Ppl just like to focus on 1 thing about a product for its praise or negativity.

Its like many think last gen (PS4, XBO) went the way it did because of power. No, it was a multitude of things.

tillbot8

Banned
Dude, I see where you are coming from, I get your argument. But it is semantics! I personally disagree with your viewpoint. There is no differentiation that is worth noting between 'a' PS5 and 'the' PS5. They have trademarked 'Digital Edition' (edition - a paticular form or version) that is the base model which Sony themselves call a PS5! It is only to distinguish two SKU's because they are selling two variants of 'THE PS5'

But the most important thing I want to say is 'dont sweat the small stuff'. You are getting a ribbing because it is a pedantic argument. The impression that I am getting is you want to 'win' because of a technicality whereas most people don't give a shit! It's a battle not worth your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom