• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

GymWolf

Both are repetitive in their own way. But videos games in general are all repetitive. The questions boils down if the repetition/gameplay loop that the game provides is fun for you or not.

FPS games have not really changed over the decades other than being visual technical feats, more immersion and some additional traversal mechanics but at the end of day it's "Walk in a room > shoot bad things > rince repeat"

It's the art, presentation and storytelling (or not) what sets same genres apart. I much prefer the story and presentation of AC games than say GoT. But GoT is a new IP and it does a lot of things well, but it's not a masterpiece and has many flaws as I've previously stated. AC games have a lot of issues as well in their own way.
yeah but odissey is one of the worst offender when it comes to being a copy paste of your previous game in the saga, the game feels like a dlc of origins, same for what i saw with valhalla.

and you can be sure that i'm very critical with tsushima too, just read my latest post in the OT.

Last edited:
yeah but odissey is one of the worst offender when it comes to being a copy paste of your previous game in the saga, the game feels like a dlc of origins, same for what i saw with valhalla.

and you can be sure that i'm very critical with tsushima too, just read my latest post in the OT.

I enjoy Oddysey a lot though to be quite frank. It also was one of the first assassins creed games that Ubisoft have sent out to us to review prior to its release. So it holds a special place in my heart.

While it may have been a copy and paste of origins, it did improve on a lot of things and the game was also very beautiful and the world was great. I think the story was better as well, RPG mechanics were more redefined.

Origins was half RPG and Oddysey went full RPG. Egypt and Greece is what I wanted out of AC for a long time and Ubusoft delivered that and now they are delivering Vikings which is also what I love. I would be lying if I said Valhall is not one of my most anticipated games for later this year. However, what I am really interested in is the true next gen AC. Unity was far ahead of it's timeand is actually the best looking game out of all the current AC games but it was overly ambitions which is why the game ran and played like shit.

Anyway, looking forward to Valhalla so much. I've finished every AC to 100% on trophies including DLC. It is one of the best franchises I've played in my life and will continue to do so.

I think the worst AC this gen was Syndicate, while it played and performed well, it was super boring. The only good thing about it were the main characters, especially Evelyn, she was great.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I mean the game is beautiful nonetheless, I don't think anybody is denying that here. I will definitely be getting this on PS5. The photomode is INSANE.

Edit: didn't mean to post my twitter tag

EdaVJBuXYAAczBn

Last edited:

GymWolf

I enjoy Oddysey a lot though to be quite frank. It also was one of the first assassins creed games that Ubisoft have sent out to us to review prior to its release. So it holds a special place in my heart.

While it may have been a copy and paste of origins, it did improve on a lot of things and the game was also very beautiful and the world was great. I think the story was better as well, RPG mechanics were more redefined.

Origins was half RPG and Oddysey went full RPG. Egypt and Greece is what I wanted out of AC for a long time and Ubusoft delivered that and now they are delivering Vikings which is also what I love. I would be lying if I said Valhall is not one of my most anticipated games for later this year. However, what I am really interested in is the true next gen AC. Unity was far ahead of it's timeand is actually the best looking game out of all the current AC games but it was overly ambitions which is why the game ran and played like shit.

Anyway, looking forward to Valhalla so much. I've finished every AC to 100% on trophies including DLC. It is one of the best franchises I've played in my life and will continue to do so.

I think the worst AC this gen was Syndicate, while it played and performed well, it was super boring. The only good thing about it were the main characters, especially Evelyn, she was great.
i only played and relatively enjoyed AC1, then i bought ac2 and returned to gamestop after 4-6 hours because the combat was still an absolute shit (i can forgive the first game, not the second one) and then i only played origins and 20 or 30 hours of odissey before bailing out.

i always wanted to return and complete odissey because at the end of the day i really like the open world action rpg genre but the burn is still in everytime i install the game and try to play it, i will proabably buy valhalla with a big discount later this year, hopefully the combat will be less mediocre than how it appear on video.

Last edited:
i only played and relatively enjoyed AC1, then i bought ac2 and returned to gamestop after 4-6 hours because the combat was still an absolute shit (i can forgive the first game, not the second one) and then i only played origins and 20 or 30 hours of odissey before bailing out.

i always wanted to return and complete odissey because at the end of the day i really like the open world action rpg genre but the burn is still in everytime i install the game and try to play it, i will proabably buy valhalla with a big discount later this year, hopefully the combat will be less mediocre than how it appear on video.

Ehh... Ezio trilogy is the best of AC. AC was never known for its combat honestly in those days.

Not sure if you and me watched the same video, combat in Valhalla looks stellar and the addition of gore is welcomed.

MastAndo

Gold Member
I adore Odyssey and I really like GoT for similar reasons - namely, neither forgets it's a video game. There are a bunch of QoL things going on that make the game just fun to play - little things like not getting caught in an animation hell when picking up resources, being generous with fast travel right from the start, no stamina to be concerned with (Jin can just roll and keep running when exhausted), your horse appearing instantly and seemingly out of nowhere when called, etc. Things like this make world traversal feel all the more enjoyable and less like a chore.

EDIT: Whoops, thought this was the OT.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't bring it up for the same reason I don't bring that up in a great many games. Because unless the entire game looks bad as long as it's fun and engaging I don't really care. The Final Fantasy 7 Remake has glaring texture issues that whole articles have been written about. I noticed them quite a bit when I played. It wasn't something that I felt the need to go onto a forum and blast the game over because I loved it and couldn't stop playing it. This thread stinks like most on this forum.

GymWolf

Ehh... Ezio trilogy is the best of AC. AC was never known for its combat honestly in those days.

Not sure if you and me watched the same video, combat in Valhalla looks stellar and the addition of gore is welcomed.
well just agree to disagree there.
To me it looked the same floaty and clunky combat of the previous 2 games and i even prefer the souls light type of combat of ac compared to the free flow batman combat in tsushima but the last 2 ac are some of the worst iteration of souls light combat...

you are literally the only person that i can i remember that consider valhalla combat footage more than serviceable, let alone stellar...

I kinda find it hilarious when people say that this game is technically weak but has great art direction.

I guess high draw distance, dynamic weather conditions, volumetric fog everywhere, volumetric clouds, could simulation, wind simulation that affects foliage, smoke and cloth realistically don't count for much these days.

VJwEqrV.png
HkdRk9V.png
VvTlQS4.png

IS4QaGm.png
lVqudiv.png

idrago01

Banned
Bottom line it's PS4, most gamers are forgiving for occasional trashy textures, pop-in, clipping when the game itself is good. If you truly care only about nit-picking graphics you'd be playing exclusively on PC and modding or using post processing tools like reshade/sweetfx.

kuncol02

Banned
3708173-ghostoftsushima_20200716143452.jpg

These are just some examples, not even the best at how flat Ghost of Tsushima looks in all areas that are not the forest. Also ignore the lady bugging out that isn't the point. It looks considerably worse than their PS4 launch game Infamous Second Son. None also talks about how the animation looks entirely keyframed and the cutscenes for most NPC are just a wide shot camera angle with absolutely no movement whatsoever. You would think zero effort went into the presentation of this big budget Sony first party game outside its foliage area which for somehow hides the flat lighting.

Though this is all saved by some very fun sword combat and moves, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever I play this game and see how bad some parts of it look.

EDIT: Here's the first video I found of Sucker Punch's 2014 game Infamous Second Son. The lighting, npc animations, and textures look like an actual PS4 game. All I'm saying is that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills my thinking that the engine seems significantly downgraded from then and now,

There is no ambient occlusion on that youtube video. Look at the stones at first plane. Is than some graphical bug, or they really decided to cut it? That's why that game looks flat in some places

NinjaBoiX

I’m watching a Marz LP of this and it looks SUPER janky man. Like, why do you ride straight through bamboo? Why does your horse clip though you all the time? Why does the combat look, like, jerky and really canned?

I dunno man, this game looks pretty poor TBH, I was impressed with the initial trailers and all that but the actual game looks really rough.

Might give it a whirl super cheap in a year or so but meh, looks a bit shit IMO.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The "PS3 lighting for most of the game" part sounds very odd as I'm also around 15-20 hours in and haven't seen this yet

Maybe he has a bad TV that has a bad HDR implementation or something
Didn't you know PS3 games had lighting that casted shadows over blades of grass

Kokoloko85

Yeah theres been a good few downgrades this gen. 3rd party and 1st party by WWS.

Im a big fanboy of PS4 and Last of Us 2 but there were some downgrades I did not like at all.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah theres been a good few downgrades this gen. 3rd party and 1st party by WWS.

Im a big fanboy of PS4 and Last of Us 2 but there were some downgrades I did not like at all.
I can't be mad at any changes with TLOU 2 because technically that game is unrivaled. The AI's behavior and communication, the animations and graphics. There's so many details that most other games aren't doing

Karak

What I would be interested in is to what extent reviewers will mark a game down for graphics over gameplay.
Or how much reviewers would praise a game for graphics and give gameplay flaws a pass.

Personally, I'd rather have a game that is great to play and wouldn't be bothered if the water in the game looks bad.
You can tell from the community though that a lot of people will look at a game and say "LOL the water looks so bad, this game sucks" and that's the end of it for them.
If they know how game development works it could be either or as game development isn't as generic as many fans would have you think. They would need to offer context as to why they rated it whatever way they did or weighted it whatever way they did

Woo-Fu

Banned
Game is gorgeous. Only jarring element I've noticed is some really bad ground textures here and there.
Oh, and its also a lot of fun but I know that might not be important to some of you. ;)

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Because I haven't noticed anything but how damn beautiful it is while taking photos more than I have in any other game and hell I've been on performance mode

oagboghi2

The gameplay is...they made some strange choices. I love the swordplay, but they muddied the effects with cheap sword "swooshes" and iffy particle effects. I'd rather them just not have that at all and make it like the E3 demo. I don't understand why they had to change that.
stuff that has nothing to do with gameplay.

Has the backlash already started with this game?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
stuff that has nothing to do with gameplay.

Has the backlash already started with this game?
Fair point, it's more of a graphical grief than anything. I've mentioned before in this thread that, in a vacuum, Ghost of Tsushima would be considered near flawless. It's the comparison to E3 that is bothering me. I don't enjoy the game less, but I do feel like I was lied to.

oagboghi2

What i dont understand with these kind of downgrades is 'why?'. I mean its one thing with a early gen game, that may of started life on unfinished dev kits, or not even devkits at all and were first shown on PC's, but this is coming at the end of the gen when Sucker Punch have final dev kits, so why would there need to be downgrades to this level?. Is it all about building hype and fooling gamers?.
I swear to god you people...

Nothing at E3 is real. They are just targets they hope to get, but during actual development, reality kicks in, and studios have to decide what they can add into maintain the quality and performance they are okay with. No one is being tricked. People are just delusional, as in case the OP of this thread.

What they've managed to pull off with the PS4 is impressive to say the least. Not everything is going to be perfect. One of the reasons this game looks as good as it does generally speaking, is probably due to most areas not having lots of NPC. More NPC on screen, the more taxing on CPU and GPU. Especially on the terrible Jaguar cores. It's a compromise that needs to be made. Don't get caught up in all that.

With that said, I'm sure we're all looking forward to the next-gen pixel-peeping bullshit that's coming down the fanboy shit-pipe. Can't wait for the guys at Digital Foundry to be disappointed in some random part of an image that they've zoomed in 200% on; followed by an army of fanboys using it as justification for their console of choice. Bring life jackets.

I’m playing more, the game is fun, I love sucker punch but this title may be not developed by the first team or the same team behind infamous for ps4.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
What they've managed to pull off with the PS4 is impressive to say the least. Not everything is going to be perfect. One of the reasons this game looks as good as it does generally speaking, is probably due to most areas not having lots of NPC. More NPC on screen, the more taxing on CPU and GPU. Especially on the terrible Jaguar cores. It's a compromise that needs to be made. Don't get caught up in all that.

With that said, I'm sure we're all looking forward to the next-gen pixel-peeping bullshit that's coming down the fanboy shit-pipe. Can't wait for the guys at Digital Foundry to be disappointed in some random part of an image that they've zoomed in 200% on; followed by an army of fanboys using it as justification for their console of choice. Bring life jackets.
I'll be too busy enjoying miles to notice

pixelbox

When people claim the lighting is flat, all one needs to do is go into the Yellow Forrest for that Global Illumination Solution 😏

Top Bottom