• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Is this now a pretty GoT pictures thread?!

oborQQ6.jpg

I do think I see some questionable texture work on that hut in the background though, so I'll be demanding a refund after I'm done with this scathing Tweet to Sucker Punch.
Incredible screenshot! I say we continue to show people why GoT gets its praise :)

Last edited:

JeloSWE

They haven't? There's an HDR issues thread here, and others have mentioned the graphics being a bit uneven. I share these sentiments, and it's clear GoT isn't a technical marvel on the level of say, an RDR2, but artistically, it's a lovely game. The general aesthetic is very pleasing, and it's fun to play - these things tend to capture the attention of most over quibbles about textures not being razor sharp in places.
Here is a mockup I made to show the exposure issues even in SDR. Left has been tweaked in Photoshop with a basic curve adjustment and the right is the original screen shot. As you can see in the left images the grass and sky and contrast in the images feels easier on they eyes.

wiX1Utn.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like it's because the art style is breathtaking and while the textures and lighting can be bad, the grass density and beautiful colors allow it to still be a very nice looking game

thelastword

Banned
Hey I just don't know how anyone can call GOT ugly, this is one of the best looking games this generation....My first judge is texture work on rocks, they are sustained, I do not see the ugly see-saw lods you see in open world or even in linear games here. The lighting and effects are bonkers, textures are high quality and stylized, foliage is bonkers, Armor and clothing is some of the best I've seen this gen.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Incredible screenshot! I say we continue to show people why GoT gets its praise :)

Fucking game melts retinas. My son has watched me play all games and he said "daddy this is up there with horizon but Horizon is graphically better" he's 13 he knows the sauce 🔥🔥🤗😂😂😂

My point is this game is gorgeous and gives the game with the graphical benchmark competition.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Fucking game melts retinas. My son has watched me play all games and he said "daddy this is up there with horizon but Horizon is graphically better" he's 13 he knows the sauce 🔥🔥🤗😂😂😂

My point is this Gabe is gorgeous and gives the game with the graphical benchmark competition.
Lol Facts! I can't even imagine what all of these Sony studios will do with the PS5. I've never sat idle in a game so many times to just eye fuck my TV screen 😂

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Yep its mainly the inconsistencies that bother me. Hint why my thread title says certain areas. The robotic cutscene animations could be a whole nother thread, i've seen indie games put more effort into their npc interaction. Very bad showing from sucker punch.

So you caught an animation bug and a bad texture here or there and now you've been shitting on this game for pages?

GOT has the best art direction of the generation. I've never stopped so much to take pictures in a game before. The visuals and all the effects are breathtaking in a huge open world game. It's the Okami of this gen. Incredible swan song for the PS4.

So I guess you never played BOTW or any Switch game if all you can focus on are textures? If GOT looks bad for you then I wonder how you managed to play games before.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So you caught an animation bug and a bad texture here or there and now you've been shitting on this game for pages?

GOT has the best art direction of the generation. I've never stopped so much to take pictures in a game before. The visuals and all the effects are breathtaking in a huge open world game. It's the Okami of this gen. Incredible swan song for the PS4.

So I guess you never played BOTW or any Switch game if all you can focus on are textures? If GOT looks bad for you then I wonder how you managed to play games before.

Damnnnn get emmmm. Alot of this is true. Alot of hyperbolic bs on one of the best looking games this gen, yes even on pc. SONY first party show off.

vpance

Here is a mockup I made to show the exposure issues even in SDR. Left has been tweaked in Photoshop with a basic curve adjustment and the right is the original screen shot. As you can see in the left images the grass and sky and contrast in the images feels easier on they eyes.

wiX1Utn.jpg

SP is still using this as a guide for HDR

2uqveOxx8Q_Dq_MVuJSEke1jBo0pg0HgW6IzovTc_tQ.jpg

I settled on brightness 70 and gamma +1 on my set. Still need to play in a darkened room though.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I can’t speak for everybody else but I honestly don’t care that this game doesn’t have flawless graphics, what it has great art direction and that to me what’s most important.

I will tell you one example: SMTIII Nocturne originally came out in 2003, 2 years after Final Fantasy X. From technical perspective Nocturne is no where near as good as FFX but my god the art direction for Nocturne is fucking masterful.

So again I don’t care, I’m sure you can nick pick how dated Bloodborne graphics are but it doesn’t change how gorgeous the game is and most important part GoT plays great and has fun open world to explore.
I don't personally think anyone is expecting flawless graphics but there is much more going on in a negative way then the graphics.

The animation tech is very outdated, there is some serious lighting issues going on, the camera is god awful to name a few. The story is also so flat. I am having fun with this game regarding combat and yes the art direction is very good, I really dig the way it looks from a style perspective but unfortunately they are the only two things keeping me playing. Everything else is very very average.

Exactly. The review scale hasn't changed; the perception of the scores has. Control won a bunch of GOTY awards last year despite it "only" having a metacritic score of 82 on PS4 where it received the most reviews (PC had the highest at "only" 85).

One of my personal favourite games from last year was Remnant. It's sitting in the late 70s on metacritic (except Xbox One where it is at 82).

For some reason people don't realise that reviewers haven't changed their scoring system or their standards. Gamers have. Maybe it's because there are too many quality titles nowadays but so many people refuse to even touch a game under 80, and even games in the lower 80s often get skipped.

I've found it can go both ways. Game reviewers can equally delegate score games disproportionately to the contents of review. Which is why you really should rely on your own sense of judgment and taste in what you think is worth getting.

Last edited:

TMLT

Eh, on the pro, in 4k, with resolution mode on and contrast set to dramatic or whatever its called, its one of the most visually pleasing games ive ever seen. Its not the greatest thing ive ever played (although its very good), but the graphics are the last thing i'd criticize.

Arkam

This is my 5th straight day playing it. I have definitely seen a couple animation bugs and some less than stellar NPC models.... but damn if I wasn't saying "WOW.... this is really pretty" 90% of the time. Seems like a very fair trade in an open world. I just finished up FFVIIR a few weeks earlier and it was much more of a mixed bag (still amazing in areas!) than Ghost.

The thing is I came in after seeing the state of play and knowing that the game was going to be downgraded slightly from E3, but I did not expect that low textures, robot npc animations, and PS3 lighting would plague most of the game. It's even more baffling that noone is talking about it. Only certain times of day and when you're in the forest does the game look like a PS4 game.
Bullshit. I have played 15 hours so far and the game has consistently been flawless graphically. This is on OG launch ps4. Somethings wrong with your system.

My point is this game is gorgeous and gives the game with the graphical benchmark competition.

I swear man, Ghost is a staggering achievement by a relatively smaller sized team at SP. Hats off to them for delivering on such a great open world experience. That being said, I've got to say that RDR 2 on PS4 still remains unmatched in lighting, character animation and texture work. I am sure SP's next game will see them set a benchmark in animation and textures :)

JeloSWE

Bullshit. I have played 15 hours so far and the game has consistently been flawless graphically. This is on OG launch ps4. Somethings wrong with your system.
I for one was jumping onto a rail and fell half way through and got stuck, the character started shaking badly but after a while, just a moment before I was going to restart, the game teleported the character to a previous position. So it's not been flaw less for me. The game is art direction wise extremely pretty but the lighting model is a bit simplified, probably in order to deal with the large landscapes and dynamic time of day. That said, you often have a very strong sun reflection in the sea/puddles but then you look up in the sky and it's covered by clouds, that's not how it should behave. The ambient occlusion is pretty weak, characters foreheads are way to bright under their hats. The indirect lighting is pretty simplified as well so a lot geometry in shade isn't looking quite right at times and instead gets a bit of cartoony shaded look.

Animations are pretty good over all but facial animations just looks so plain after TLOU2 haha, but those were probably the best I've seen in any game to date.

Again, it's a VERY pretty game despite some short comings.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Yes, there are slash marks, what are you talking about? It's not every slash mind you, but you get cuts on enemies with blood. Some enemies even spurt blood after defeated, just like in samurai movies.
Please show me. Because I've experienced no slash marks as seen in the E3 gameplay:

Edbv3nlXsAA9AV-

Edbs4C3XoAAmKwd

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I feel like it's because the art style is breathtaking and while the textures and lighting can be bad, the grass density and beautiful colors allow it to still be a very nice looking game
pretty much. the game is average looking minus the grass and colors, which of course are included in the art style

fybyfyby

3708173-ghostoftsushima_20200716143452.jpg

These are just some examples, not even the best at how flat Ghost of Tsushima looks in all areas that are not the forest. Also ignore the lady bugging out that isn't the point. It looks considerably worse than their PS4 launch game Infamous Second Son. None also talks about how the animation looks entirely keyframed and the cutscenes for most NPC are just a wide shot camera angle with absolutely no movement whatsoever. You would think zero effort went into the presentation of this big budget Sony first party game outside its foliage area which for somehow hides the flat lighting.

Though this is all saved by some very fun sword combat and moves, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever I play this game and see how bad some parts of it look.

EDIT: Here's the first video I found of Sucker Punch's 2014 game Infamous Second Son. The lighting, npc animations, and textures look like an actual PS4 game. All I'm saying is that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills my thinking that the engine seems significantly downgraded from then and now,

It seems good to me. But its good to say you are unsatisfied. Maybe devs will patch this later. Usually first party Sony games have excellent support.

THEAP99

Banned
Here are some fine captures from myself. One from the beginning of the game, and one from Act II. The one from Act 2 is very spoilerish

EdLg_VhX0AAX6Ns

Edg03C4WoAEt3qZ

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No it's really not. Naughty Dog are on a much much higher level technically than suckerpunch are and it's probably insulting to even compare ghost to tlou2 in that aspect.
Yet

Both games are great gameplay wise and technically even if Suckerpunch are a smaller team, that makes it more impressive I've shelved TLOU2 to play their game instead
Now what is an insult is the shitty story ND bolted on to the fantastic original

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ghost of Tsushima is another overrated game. No one is talking bad about it is because it's a Sony game so it gets a free pass.

Mind you, despite the game being extremely formulaic, if this was made by Ubisoft it would not get the hype and the scores it got. But its Sony, so it's ok.

I've been streaming and playing this game for last 4 days and have over 35 hours trying to 100% it. It's an enjoyable game for sure but it has many design flaws such as no lock on during combat, camera being too close to character and just horrible in tight spaces. The combat button inputs are also quite unresponsive and it feels awkward during fights with multiple enemies. But hey Sony is god.
Lol dude the game is at 83 and the last 2 ac games are 81 and 83 with odissey selling more than 10 milions copies, and they are arguably worse games than tsushima, what the hell are you talking about here exactly??
No one is talking bad about the game? Have you looked at the official topic here or on reeee?? A lot of people is talking shit about some aspects of the game like some animations, the camera, the jank, the samey sidequest, the digital acting, how easy the game become after some upgrades etc.

If you were expecting people comparing this game to ryse ot the order of course you are gonna be disappointed...

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

The "PS3 lighting for most of the game" part sounds very odd as I'm also around 15-20 hours in and haven't seen this yet

Maybe he has a bad TV that has a bad HDR implementation or something

tassletine

wiX1Utn.jpg
Were those screenshots taken with high contrast mode enabled?

I hope you passed him the controller (doubts 🤔)
Do us a favor ask him about ps5 secret sauce :messenger_grinning:

Lol dude the game is at 83 and the last 2 ac games are 81 and 83 with odissey selling more than 10 milions copies, and they are arguably worse games than tsushima, what the hell are you talking about here exactly??
No one is talking bad about the game? Have you looked at the official topic here or on reeee?? A lot of people is talking shit about some aspects of the game like some animations, the camera, the jank, the samey sidequest, the digital acting, how easy the game become after some upgrades etc.

If you were expecting people comparing this game to ryse ot the order of course you are gonna be disappointed...

Except that Oddesey and Origins are much more enjoyable and in my opinion also look better in some aspects. But I am a massive AC cuck so I am a bit bias.

GymWolf

Except that Oddesey and Origins are much more enjoyable and in my opinion also look better in some aspects. But I am a massive AC cuck so I am a bit bias.
I kinda enjoyed origins (mostly for the location) but odissey was a total copy paste game and i bailed out after 20+ hours.

My point was that ubisoft games get a similar treatment with their games even if the quality is pretty similar (tsushima is better in some things, ac saga for others)

nikos

I was playing the other day and couldn’t quite figure out what was wrong, but I knew something was off.

After messing with the settings and finally accepting the image quality, I decided to double check the PS4’s video output settings. For some reason it had reset to 1080p. This was after resuming a previous session from sleep mode.

Not sure if it’s a bug or isolated case, but double check your settings. It looked a lot better on 4K, but I think I know what you mean about the inconsistency with the visuals. I’m not far enough to really judge it though.

Last edited:
I kinda enjoyed origins (mostly for the location) but odissey was a total copy paste game and i bailed out after 20+ hours.

My point was that ubisoft games get a similar treatment with their games even if the quality is pretty similar (tsushima is better in some things, ac saga for others)

Both are repetitive in their own way. But videos games in general are all repetitive. The questions boils down if the repetition/gameplay loop that the game provides is fun for you or not.

FPS games have not really changed over the decades other than being visual technical feats, more immersion and some additional traversal mechanics but at the end of day it's "Walk in a room > shoot bad things > rince repeat"

It's the art, presentation and storytelling (or not) what sets same genres apart. I much prefer the story and presentation of AC games than say GoT. But GoT is a new IP and it does a lot of things well, but it's not a masterpiece and has many flaws as I've previously stated. AC games have a lot of issues as well in their own way.

Hobbygaming

I started playing some more Ghost of Tsushima and I thought about this thread. As soon as it was done loading after the start menu I was immediately reminded of how beautiful this game is 😃

Top Bottom