• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

nowhat

the time change is not dynamic but fixed
Yeah, I don't know where OP got this from (I'm inclined to think "his ass", but we may never know) - in Second Son there are multiple times of day. But during a single mission, you're stuck in that particular time of day, and it won't change no matter how much time you spend in it.

Chun Swae

Banned
Oof, that video isn't a good example for your cause, the Archer guy with fucking wooden arms and shoulders that looks like they only animated his face, also shows how the facial animation is ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE, some people have an incredible amount of animation while others are basically wearing a mask, also the awful cutscenes that aren't main story beats are just robotic and sad.

It's the inconsistencies that make this game look bad and like a rookie effort, it's also the inconsistencies that stand out because of how much time they spent on the other parts, like the facial animation being PS3 era in some parts, is a sore thumb, because in other parts the facial animation is uncanny valley.

I don't know how much time they'd need to get this thing all polished.

Examples of games that are consistenly good looking? Death Strand and Nioh 1 and Nioh 2, Sekiro isn't the prettiest thing but it's 100% consistent.
Yep its mainly the inconsistencies that bother me. Hint why my thread title says certain areas. The robotic cutscene animations could be a whole nother thread, i've seen indie games put more effort into their npc interaction. Very bad showing from sucker punch.

Chun Swae

Banned
Yeah, I don't know where OP got this from (I'm inclined to think "his ass", but we may never know) - in Second Son there are multiple times of day. But during a single mission, you're stuck in that particular time of day, and it won't change no matter how much time you spend in it.
Haha resort to insults for what reason? Find peace brother. Anyways I very specifically did not say the time of day changed dynamically. The fixed time of day changes allowed them to have consistent beautiful ambient lighting throughout the whole game. While ghost seems to only look good under direct sunlight

PresetError

Neophyte
Oof, that video isn't a good example for your cause, the Archer guy with fucking wooden arms and shoulders that looks like they only animated his face, also shows how the facial animation is ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE, some people have an incredible amount of animation while others are basically wearing a mask, also the awful cutscenes that aren't main story beats are just robotic and sad.

It's the inconsistencies that make this game look bad and like a rookie effort, it's also the inconsistencies that stand out because of how much time they spent on the other parts, like the facial animation being PS3 era in some parts, is a sore thumb, because in other parts the facial animation is uncanny valley.

I don't know how much time they'd need to get this thing all polished.

Examples of games that are consistenly good looking? Death Strand and Nioh 1 and Nioh 2, Sekiro isn't the prettiest thing but it's 100% consistent.

I didn't even watch the videos before posting. I just copied the link to two long playthroughs for people to pick any moment of the game at random and see for themselves, which is always more reliable than a guy with a magnifiying glass cherrypicking parts of the game for confirmation bias.

LOL at the bolded part.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Thanks for your fair response. I honestly am not being hyperbolic when I saw some elements of this game's rendering are bad my todays industry standards. The low res rock textures, the flat water with barely any reflections or ripples, the flat ambient lighting. It just seems some aspects of this game is unfinished for lack of a better word.

To some extent, I have to take your word for it. I only have video under my belt, whereas you have actual playtime.

I did notice the water. I didn't feel that looked bad, but merely 'okay', also considering it within the wider context of a gorgeous, boundary pushing open world game on a seven year old console, by a developer not overly famed for being top of the pack in a technical sense.

I appreciate your criticism and it's important for stuff like this to be brought to light by fans, when so much criticism is 'game good because on my console' or 'game bad because not on my console'. We can see people with that mindset attacking you in this thread.

nowhat

Anyways I very specifically did not say the time of day changed dynamically.
Admittedly English is not my first language, but I interpret "beautiful time of day changes" to mean dynamic, not a change from one static scene to another.

GymWolf

Are graphics discussions not allowed on a video game forum now? This is not crappy textures here and there, but an all around fundamental lack of depth in all unlit areas in the game, with materials that seem to have no specularity to them at times.
Graphic discussion are allowed, but this discussion is a bit pointless, i never saw a topic about shitty graphical aspects for other open world games because we know that in this ancient hardwares devs have to do compromises.

Yeah the game has some major flaws but it also have the best windy vegetation of this gen by a long shot, not an easy feature for a console with an ancient notebook cpu...

I'm far more distracted by the lack of ragdoll and havok in a 2020 game but they probably used every bit of power for the vegetation...

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
Haha resort to insults for what reason? Find peace brother. Anyways I very specifically did not say the time of day changed dynamically. The fixed time of day changes allowed them to have consistent beautiful ambient lighting throughout the whole game. While ghost seems to only look good under direct sunlight

GTFO with the victim card. Now you're trolling.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I think its beautiful.... Im not going to go over it with a microscope vs an E3 presentation but it looks gorgeous on my TV.

Which brings me to a theory I have....

I know a lot of people with incredible phones and pretty garbage TVs. I think there's a phenomenon where people are viewing gorgeous HDR representations of games on their Samsung OLED 1440p phones and then plugging their PS4s into a Walmart 800 dollar 4K TV and wondering wtf happened. Change my mind.

It is sad that we have gotten to this point as gamers. Hell , any game that is less than a 8.0 is called trash now a days.

Yeah, its messed up. The general perception of review scores is extremely skewed. I yearn for the days when even a 5~6 meant a game was still considered worth playing.

Modern-day-review-scale-in-the-public-eye.jpg

I have to agree with Chun here. I've noticed myself that during dark settings, the characters look brighter than the surrounding environment. While in totally bright surroundings, Ghost and all other characters look good. Not only that, during the dimmer settings, characters look like their floating and not planted on the ground. Still not a Game of the Year/Generation.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
Admittedly English is not my first language, but I interpret "beautiful time of day changes" to mean dynamic, not a change from one static scene to another.
This excuse would be unfortunate since their 2014 PS4 game handled different times of day and large distances beautifully while also still having high quality textures and ambient lighting. Maybe they should've stuck with that method.

Emphasis on "stuck with that method" I very much know that the time of day with infamous was not dynamic in that sense. Maybe I'm not the one who's pulling things out of their ass.

Chun Swae

Banned
I have to agree with Chun here. I've noticed myself that during dark settings, the characters look brighter than the surrounding environment. While in totally bright surroundings, Ghost and all other characters look good. Not only that, during the dimmer settings, characters look like their floating and not planted on the ground. Still not a Game of the Year/Generation.
Yep bright characters in a dark environment is something i've noticed too, it usually do to light probe placement issues but it's weird because it just look like the characters are not receiving any of the shadows at all.

GTFO with the victim card. Now you're trolling.
Jesus.. talk about a victim card. New members don't write shit like this. It just makes you look like an insecure douche. We already have enough console insecurity on GAF... don't be that guy (or girl). Back on topic..

The would agree with the OP that there is definitley some inconsistencies and not so great looking parts of the game. With the said... To me it is the sum off part. I'm really enjoying the game and while I notice janky animations or bad textures at times, they aren't game defining. I'll take a little jank in a game I enjoy unlike games like Death Stranding or Red Dead 2 that looked fantastic but were a bore.

Last edited:
This excuse would be unfortunate since their 2014 PS4 game handled different times of day and large distances beautifully while also still having high quality textures and ambient lighting. Maybe they should've stuck with that method.

Infamous SS has texture pop-in, an extremely low LOD and suffers from the same flatness in certain areas you complain about.

Also I could bring up RDR2 looking fantastic no matter the time of day but some people might not see that as a far comparison.
How about you talk about the bad stuff that is present in RDR2? Like the shitty textures in some places!
O2Evwdj.jpg

You're nit picking. There are flaws everywhere in games, hence we look at the picture as a whole. Ghost of Tsushima has issues, yes, but so does every other game.

Shrap

Yeah, its messed up. The general perception of review scores is extremely skewed. I yearn for the days when even a 5~6 meant a game was still considered worth playing.

Modern-day-review-scale-in-the-public-eye.jpg
Exactly. The review scale hasn't changed; the perception of the scores has. Control won a bunch of GOTY awards last year despite it "only" having a metacritic score of 82 on PS4 where it received the most reviews (PC had the highest at "only" 85).

One of my personal favourite games from last year was Remnant. It's sitting in the late 70s on metacritic (except Xbox One where it is at 82).

For some reason people don't realise that reviewers haven't changed their scoring system or their standards. Gamers have. Maybe it's because there are too many quality titles nowadays but so many people refuse to even touch a game under 80, and even games in the lower 80s often get skipped.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Its been discussed a ton. Even most of the reviews I saw and my own we all discussed it. That is just sometimes how resources get played out and sometimes not everything is brought up to speed in a game. Well in fact no game has 100% across the board. Pretty much resources versus time.

Additionally, most people understand that 100 versus 1 ruling don't work. As more games are released there are more games to compare a new game coming out to and people think "Why can't THIS happen if it happened in THIS game?" Literally not how it works. Not even how life works in anyway.

What I would be interested in is to what extent reviewers will mark a game down for graphics over gameplay.
Or how much reviewers would praise a game for graphics and give gameplay flaws a pass.

Personally, I'd rather have a game that is great to play and wouldn't be bothered if the water in the game looks bad.
You can tell from the community though that a lot of people will look at a game and say "LOL the water looks so bad, this game sucks" and that's the end of it for them.

It's a bit strange because we've had great games in every console era but each new generation takes us WAY beyond the graphical limits of the previous gen. We still have classic games though. We even have games that seem to age better as time goes on with nostalgia or better understanding and appreciation etc.

Even the next gen "debate" with Xbox and Playstation is coming down to power and graphics when you'd think that people would only be focused on having good games.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
TLOU2 is a linear adventure with like one single semi-open area that isn't even all that large. You are truly trying to compare that to an actual open world like Ghost of Tsushima? Fuck outta here with that. Feels like you are salty that GoT is more well liked among the general populace than TLOU2.

Yes, there are graphical issues, but name a single open world that doesn't have those same issues. If you are going to talk and discuss these issues, then compare them to other open world games, like Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, WItcher 3, etc.

Ghost of Tsushima is another overrated game. No one is talking bad about it is because it's a Sony game so it gets a free pass.

Mind you, despite the game being extremely formulaic, if this was made by Ubisoft it would not get the hype and the scores it got. But its Sony, so it's ok.

I've been streaming and playing this game for last 4 days and have over 35 hours trying to 100% it. It's an enjoyable game for sure but it has many design flaws such as no lock on during combat, camera being too close to character and just horrible in tight spaces. The combat button inputs are also quite unresponsive and it feels awkward during fights with multiple enemies. But hey Sony is god.

Saber

Gold Member
Isn't something common in open world games? You know the scale is different(fucking open world lol), right?
Ah yes, people have to accept how bad it looks on certain areas and ignore the big rest the game has to offer.

Sorry OP, but this feels like a big ass spoiled brat complain about something normal people doesn't care about and possibilty won't notice. I may agree to a certain point its a kinda of valid criticism, but not a big deal like most are trying to insinuate.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
I think this game is above Days Gone, maybe under Horizon. That being said, I dont disagree with you. This game would be extremely impressive coming from Microsoft, Nintendo too. Days gone was saved by the Horde mechanic. It was a good game, but it deserved the rating it got. Didnt deserve the shit talk it got though.

yeah man,i spend a good time with days gone,man we were dreaming games like these on the 80s,and now you got people saying "these games doesnt look god" yeah,sure.fuck off

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
GoT doesn't rely on textures or closeups for its look. It's all about the flow, particles, wind simulation - the motion. Who cares if it's a replicated 1000x times blades of grass and flowers and some rock looks a bit dated. If it's a sacrifice to have a huge open world and beautiful motion I'll happily take it as I don't really stare at rocks during gameplay a lot.

FF7 has a door from PS1 Era, still great game.

PresetError

Neophyte
Jesus.. talk about a victim card. New members don't write shit like this. It just makes you look like an insecure douche. We already have enough console insecurity on GAF... don't be that guy (or girl). Back on topic..

The would agree with the OP that there is definitley some inconsistencies and not so great looking parts of the game. With the said... To me it is the sum off part. I'm really enjoying the game and while I notice janky animations or bad textures at times, they aren't game defining. I'll take a little jank in a game I enjoy unlike games like Death Stranding or Red Dead 2 that looked fantastic but were a bore.

He wasn't even talking to me, buddy. I just hate people that antagonizes other people for hours and then when someone responds with a mild sentence like "I suspect you got that info out of your ass" starts acting like they have been insulted and asking for calmness. It's textbook trolling. It's what my sister did to me at home when she wanted to get me in trouble.

By the way, not neo members get to call neo membres douches? Because I don't give a damn what you call me but you seem a liitle bit entitled.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Its not that the game doesn't look good. It the difference between E3 and what we got that's got some of us up in arms about it.

Viewed in a vacuum the game looks good, no doubt.

He wasn't even talking to me, buddy. I just hate people that antagonizes other people for hours and then when someone responds with a mild sentence like "I suspect you got that info out of your ass" starts acting like they have been insulted and asking for calmness. It's textbook trolling. It's what my sister did to me at home when she wanted to get me in trouble.

By the way, not neo members get to call neo membres douches? Because I don't give a damn what you call me but you seem a liitle bit entitled.
I call people who act like douches.. douches. He wasn't talking to you, yet you reaponded... buddy. We have too much console warring and 1 sentence outrage or trolling post as it is. Add to the conversation or refute the point.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I wonder if the OP is playing the game on a regular PS4 without HDR. On the PS4 Pro with HDR the game's visuals look rich and glorious. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It doesn’t have the best textures or character models but it still looks top tier graphically. That’s because of the incredible lighting, art direction and dynamic weather.

For me art direction > than graphics quality. This game and Ori WotW are my favorite art direction this gen.

Spokker

Looks better than FF7 Remake with its N64-era textures haha

But yes, Ghost of Tsushima has a muddy look. It's one of those games that relies heavily on post-processing effects. It's going to look better at night, sunset/sunrise and when it's wet, just like Infamous: Second Son.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

This is one of the most gorgeous game I've seen on my OLED. The part in the prologue when you ride onto the field and the title appears... was just jaw dropping. I've been meaning to look up a video of that again, it was that good.

Does it have some rough spots? Of course it does! Every game I've played this gen has had its fair share of questionable textures, flat lighting, or wonky animation issues.

It's never been so bad in GoT that it's taken me out of the game or ruined my experience. The reason nobody is talking about these things is because the rest of the game is that good.

i don't know man, you tell me:

Wow, I've been playing this game at 1/4th the level these gif are LOL

Technically, it has flaws. Artistically, it is superb. It depends on the person mostly, i think. Are you able to overlook the flaws? Does the Art Direction/Style make up for them? If you can't over look the flaws and it doesn't then I could see why some people think it's just okay. I personally value AD/Style over the technical stuff. I just don't get a hard on when something is technically on point, I mean it definitely helps, but AD/Style stick with you and I think are more impactful.

THEAP99

Banned
There’s not even any slash marks when slash people wi the sword like the e3 demo. In general this game isn’t going to age well and looks dated for the most part minus the moving vegetation and grass

Last edited:

Keihart

There’s not even any slash marks when slash people wi the sword like the e3 demo. In general this game isn’t going to age well and looks dated for the most part minus the moving vegetation and grass
Yes, there are slash marks, what are you talking about? It's not every slash mind you, but you get cuts on enemies with blood. Some enemies even spurt blood after defeated, just like in samurai movies.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
They haven't? There's an HDR issues thread here, and others have mentioned the graphics being a bit uneven. I share these sentiments, and it's clear GoT isn't a technical marvel on the level of say, an RDR2, but artistically, it's a lovely game. The general aesthetic is very pleasing, and it's fun to play - these things tend to capture the attention of most over quibbles about textures not being razor sharp in places.

JeloSWE

They haven't? There's an HDR issues thread here, and others have mentioned the graphics being a bit uneven. I share these sentiments, and it's clear GoT isn't a technical marvel on the level of say, an RDR2, but artistically, it's a lovely game. The general aesthetic is very pleasing, and it's fun to play - these things tend to capture the attention of most over quibbles about textures not being razor sharp in places.
Yes, GoT has it's HDR exposure level set too dark, the medium do dark tones in the image is very tiresome to look at. I don't know what display they used to grade/tune the HDR in the studio but it's one of the few games I've had to engage a lot of image enhancers on my 1700nit capable top end LCD. Either they used a QLED from Samsung which has an over brightened PQ (perceptual quantization) curve so they've essentially mastered the HDR on a display that is already brightness over compensating thinking it looks good but on all other LCD that follows the proper PQ curve the resulting image will look dark. Or they use an OLED and have kept the tonemapping On and think it looks good as well.

Secondly, and I understan this game has fully working day and night cycle and doesn't seem to use baked light maps so it has more of an simplistic old school look to it. It has a harsh contrast when using the games default brightness of 50 where dark areas are almost black. I have to use 70-80 and then some TV adjustments for the daylight grass and sky to have the proper intensity as well as being able to see anything in the shadows or during the night. In overcast scenarios and or even sunny days in combination with the aerial perspective (distance haze) it just takes the contrast out of the image making it very tiresome for your eyes.

The game is very very pretty but looks a bit flat and contrast less in many light conditions and have problems with the HDR exposure levels. Finally, even though the game responds to the PS4 HDR settings it doesn't properly tonemap overbright parts like the sun, sun reflection in the sea and puddles, clouds and white stones and will get white-crushed/clipped unless you have tonemapping turned on (if your TV is capable). Good game like GT Sport allows you to set the TV's white/clipping point to avoid this. So my guess is they used some LG OLED with tonemapping, sigh!

PS. Spiderman's HDR is also completely unimpressive, it was the first thing I tried out HDR on my first HDR TV and I thought it didn't work, the image was even darker than SDR. It turns out the sun caps out at around 500 nits I think so the whole image was so under exposed to save some head room for the highlight yet the sun and light sources looked grey on my TV. OLED owners thought the game looked great but that is because most of them can't display more than 700 nits. Argh! Here's really hoping MM will have better HDR.

Last edited:
3708173-ghostoftsushima_20200716143452.jpg

These are just some examples, not even the best at how flat Ghost of Tsushima looks in all areas that are not the forest. Also ignore the lady bugging out that isn't the point. It looks considerably worse than their PS4 launch game Infamous Second Son. None also talks about how the animation looks entirely keyframed and the cutscenes for most NPC are just a wide shot camera angle with absolutely no movement whatsoever. You would think zero effort went into the presentation of this big budget Sony first party game outside its foliage area which for somehow hides the flat lighting.

Though this is all saved by some very fun sword combat and moves, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever I play this game and see how bad some parts of it look.

EDIT: Here's the first video I found of Sucker Punch's 2014 game Infamous Second Son. The lighting, npc animations, and textures look like an actual PS4 game. All I'm saying is that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills my thinking that the engine seems significantly downgraded from then and now,

The two areas that you are showing look fine. This game has the best HDR implementation that I've seen next to Days Gone. The only slight issue that I have is that some mouth and facial movements in cutscenes seem slightly off and stiff occasionally. Other than that the world is beautiful, sure the textures in some areas are not the best but that is the cost of having hundreds of dynamic moving objects on the screen at once. I definitely think this is PS4's overall best game by far. Just the fact that there is virtually no HUD and it's an open world is incredible.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Little advice for the choir. Stop watching YouTube vids, play the game, you'll be blown the fuck away by that sunset!!! And overall. Certain areas give horizon a run for it's money even though Horizon holds the graphical crown for me over this and jank ass, tank feeling RDR2 which was so boring I dropped after three hours 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom