• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

I've run into the same issue as OP numerous times and I think, "WTF? Isn't the the PS4 Pro supposed to be some beast that can handle any game," then I see this images such as OP posted.

When we start pointing out faults like graphics and such, people tend to down play it as if something else is more important than graphics...when all this generation everyone was pounding their chests about graphics. When I see moments like illustrated in the picture, I think Onechanbara looks way better.....just for that moment.

Another moment I experienced was when an enemy was thrown into a tree and for whatever reason, the enemy got stuck in the tree and was in this endless loop of getting up and falling. I eventually just walked up and sliced him. My reaction, "oh come on, I guess Boost Mode doesnt work!"

After unlocking some more moves and quick weapons, the game got a lot more better...but that's after hours of playing.

Yeah, I'm enjoying the game because it's a unique time period, which really, we haven't seen at all. However, to call it the "best game game of the generation" or GOTY....yeah, I dont think so.

However, that Ghost Stance is pretty wicked though.

Tschumi

This isn't gonna mean much now, but when i first saw screens for this i thought it was a PS3 title. Then i thought it had been out for a long while. Like before Sekiro. I've not played it, i can't talk, but i can at least note that my initial opinion is being discussed herein.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
72-A7239-C-A17-B-4881-8439-096-E31-D5141-E.jpg

D26-B132-F-C346-4-B0-E-B4-F1-B0-D3-AACEFAAE.jpg

My screenshots and I’m in the north in terms of story. How did anyone enjoy games before this gen? I understand that it doesn’t reach the uncanny valley, but it really doesn’t have to. Infamous on PS3 didn’t either. There’s more to a game than making everything biologically match the beautiful foliage of the world. Humans also don’t get thrown up in the air by 6 feet when hit with a two handed weapon. I think Sucker Punch focuses more on gameplay than trying to make one that’s all about human interactions with their environment. He doesn’t need a leaf sticking to his clothes for it to feel good.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
That poor kid in the background keeps falling, thankfully he moved to take her out of her loop.

Maybe they should have compared it to Red Dead Redemption 2?

To be fair most games that are not giant budget Sony titles have comparatively very poor NPC animation. FF VII re is pretty bad at this specific thing :-/
Ignore that person, I never compared this game to TLOU2 and it wasn't even on my radar when making this thread. The only comparison is sucker punch's previous game which had fine animation work, and nice textures and lighting across all times of day. For the love of god people please stop bringing up TLOU2 it's unrelated.

Also good art direction and non flat lighting aren't mutually exclusive. PS4 open world games have had both.

Chun Swae

Banned
This isn't gonna mean much now, but when i first saw screens for this i thought it was a PS3 title. Then i thought it had been out for a long while. Like before Sekiro. I've not played it, i can't talk, but i can at least note that my initial opinion is being discussed herein.
What's crazy is as someone who's played it, some parts actually look THAT unfinished, like a late gen PS3 game. When the game shines it REALLY shines (mostly in the forest) but then you're immediately taken out of it by low res water or rock textures and ambient lighting that seems to cast no occlusion.

turtlepowa

Banned
Lmao so first when TLOU hit 94 "Metacritic does not matter lull, journalists are shiiiet, look up the user score, that's what matters".

Now suddenly Metacritic score matters again, am i right? And the user score doesn't?
For higher ratings metacritic is very inaccurate, because they convert the ridiculous/useless 1-5 and 1-10 systems to 1-100. TLOU2 had like 53 100/100 just because of this and none came from a real 0-100 system. So yes, the 94 was too high, but that applies to all games in those regions.

Would be much better if they would only allow 1-100 systems.

User score is a bad joke. It always was, it always will be.

Who would’ve thought that a game with dynamic day and night cycle and different weather conditions can transform areas of a game completely.

So much so that it sometimes doesn’t look as good as it could.

Who would’ve thought that an Open World game has to make certain concessions when it comes to textures, especially at the end of a generation when RAM is typically an issue

Ghost of Tsushima is a very striking looking game 85% of the time.

And if it’s something I would complain about it’s some low poly objects, but who would’ve thought that you need to make some concessions when you push the draw distance out as far as SP is doing here. The fact that they did this makes this game more attractive than any other OW game.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
don't ya know it's not allowed to say anything negative about Sony?

Games from Sucker Punch/Naughty Dog etc get a free pass. You say anything bad then Sony will send their goons around.

i think it looks like a mediocre game at best. don't understand why everyone is praising other than of course...it's a Sony game.
Maybe it's because you haven't played it lol

Chun Swae

Banned
Who would’ve thought that a game with dynamic day and night cycle and different weather conditions can transform areas of a game completely.

So much so that it sometimes doesn’t look as good as it could.

Who would’ve thought that an Open World game has to make certain concessions when it comes to textures, especially at the end of a generation when RAM is typically an issue

Ghost of Tsushima is a very striking looking game 85% of the time.

And if it’s something I would complain about it’s some low poly objects, but who would’ve thought that you need to make some concessions when you push the draw distance out as far as SP is doing here. The fact that they did this makes this game more attractive than any other OW game.
This excuse would be unfortunate since their 2014 PS4 game handled different times of day and large distances beautifully while also still having high quality textures and ambient lighting. Maybe they should've stuck with that method.

Also I could bring up RDR2 looking fantastic no matter the time of day but some people might not see that as a far comparison.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

”Druckmann’s Law”

...any even slightly contentious video games discussion in 2020 will inevitably descend into people either bitching about, or defending TLOU2.

Ghost is a massive, open world game at the end of a console generation. It’s bound to have rare drops in quality here and there due to pushing the system to its limits.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Honestly, yeah it doesn't look that good graphically.
Even during the direct I thought it looked a bit unimpressive considering it's what the team behind Second Son has been working on for the entire gen.

But it still looks really nice in some areas, the art direction is strong and if the gameplay is fun it's easy to forgive some rough areas in terms of visuals. Maybe they can continue to polish it up for an eventual ps5 upgrade/patch.
I literally thought and even suggested on GAF that GoT was going to outshine TLOU2 graphically. I was very, very wrong.

Bryank75

Banned
Too busy enjoying the ever living fuck out of it....

I really like the color palette and contrasts in the game and how different regions feel unique, the draw distance is also great...I didn't like the amount of fog that Horizon had in a lot of places for instance.

I agree some textures are quite low quality or take too long to load in but I expect PS5 to fix a lot of that with the asset streaming and 4K assets etc. Clipping is another area that could be improved.

I think they also need to add more side-activities to the game..... expand the hunting to be more involved, add fishing (as it's a huge part of island culture), gambling, drinking sake and adding other interactive elements....

This is their first game in this series though and I expect if they do a sequel, it will be another huge step up...
I'd rather play a game like this with great gameplay than RDR2 which is really beautiful but a slog due to gameplay and story pacing. So the future is bright if they decide to do a sequel.

I did want them to make a Doctor Doom game set mostly in Latveria though!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ignore that person, I never compared this game to TLOU2 and it wasn't even on my radar when making this thread. The only comparison is sucker punch's previous game which had fine animation work, and nice textures and lighting across all times of day. For the love of god people please stop bringing up TLOU2 it's unrelated.

Also good art direction and non flat lighting aren't mutually exclusive. PS4 open world games have had both.
This is probably my fault. I brought it up because I have in the past as well.

hyperbertha

I have to agree. Its a far cry from the beauty shown at the e3 reveal. Its on a different level from your typical ubisoft openworld, but still familiar enough to bother me. The combat is still different though and that's whats carrying it, even though the lack of challenge is making it very likely that its gonna get repetitive after a while.

Chun Swae

Banned
This is probably my fault. I brought it up because I have in the past as well.
Ah I see. Well i can't put the blame on you since most people are conveniently ignoring my comparison to infamous in the OP and instead chose to focus on tlou.

Karak

Its been discussed a ton. Even most of the reviews I saw and my own we all discussed it. That is just sometimes how resources get played out and sometimes not everything is brought up to speed in a game. Well in fact no game has 100% across the board. Pretty much resources versus time.

Additionally, most people understand that 100 versus 1 ruling don't work. As more games are released there are more games to compare a new game coming out to and people think "Why can't THIS happen if it happened in THIS game?" Literally not how it works. Not even how life works in anyway.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
It's a 10 year old console - what do you expect.
PS4 is not 10 years old, and 2) I expected ghost to have at least textures/animation/ and lighting on part with Infamous, there previous open world game which came out 6 years ago.

I'm amazed it got such a free pass from DF. Given how crap this game look at times. I find the Water effects to be embarrassing and real 1st gen stuff. I mean in the Pic below what's mean to be sea and waves crashing into the shore is basically a black texture with a crappy animated white line, it's shocking

eGSMDDd.jpg

Chun Swae

Banned
I'm telling you most of these ppl criticizing it hvnt played it lol
So what do all the people in this thread who seem hellbent on bringing up tlou say to people like me who have played and enjoyed both? Literally no one is "hating" this game, we're trying to discuss the technical aspect of it's graphics which people like you seem to not want to talk about.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So what do all the people in this thread who seem hellbent on bringing up tlou say to people like me who have played and enjoyed both? Literally no one is "hating" this game, we're trying to discuss the technical aspect of it's graphics which people like you seem to not want to talk about.

OH I don't bring up tlou this game has its own beauty and also its shortcomings. I enjoyed them both.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't know OP. Are some elements of the scene unpolished? Sure. Is it on the whole great looking? It seems to be to me, and that matches my impressions of the rest of the game.

I think it's fair to critique a Sony game for this, given their reputation for some of the best looking games gaming has to offer, but 'bad' feels a bit like us being spoiled.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
I'm amazed it got such a free pass from DF. Given how crap this game look at times. I find the Water effects to be embarrassing and real 1st gen stuff. I mean in the Pic below what's mean to be sea and waves crashing into the shore is basically a black texture with a crappy animated white line, it's shocking

eGSMDDd.jpg
Lol yeah the water in this game is one of the aspects that I was thinking of when I made this thread. It looks very rough and flat.

Chun Swae

Banned
I don't know OP. Are some elements of the scene unpolished? Sure. Is it on the whole great looking? It seems to be to me, and that matches my impressions of the test of the game.

I think it's fair to critique a Sony game for this, given their reputation for some of the best looking games gaming has to offer, but 'bad' feels a bit like us being spoiled.
Thanks for your fair response. I honestly am not being hyperbolic when I saw some elements of this game's rendering are bad my todays industry standards. The low res rock textures, the flat water with barely any reflections or ripples, the flat ambient lighting. It just seems some aspects of this game is unfinished for lack of a better word.

Chun Swae

Banned
Water I agree, lighting I don't.
My problem with this game and which infamous didn't have this problem is the complete lack of depth in unlit areas. In this image you see how the trees in the background that are directly lit and casting self shadows look phenomonal. But the foreground looks like something you would see in a very low budget ps4 or late gen ps3 game. And depending on your time of day the game can look that flat if you are in unlit areas for a LOT of the game.

3708173-ghostoftsushima_20200716143452.jpg

3708186-ghostoftsushima_20200716141438.jpg

Last edited:

Kikorin

Is difficult to find a game that looks incredible from start to finish, especially if is open world. I've still not played Ghosts of Tsushima, but I think it looks far from beeing ugly. Sure certain things posted here don't looks as good as other, but still more than fine to me.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Thanks for your fair response. I honestly am not being hyperbolic when I saw some elements of this game's rendering are bad my todays industry standards. The low res rock textures, the flat water with barely any reflections or ripples, the flat ambient lighting. It just seems some aspects of this game is unfinished for lack of a better word.

Yeah the water in Horizon also super sucked till thy made it a little better after their update. Water physics must be super taxing.

PresetError

Neophyte
PS4 is not 10 years old, and 2) I expected ghost to have at least textures/animation/ and lighting on part with Infamous, there previous open world game which came out 6 years ago.

How much time has passed since you last played InFAMOUS? That game looks like crap for today's standards and it doesn't hold any comparison with Ghost of Tsuhima on the technical level.

Last edited:

Chun Swae

Banned
How much time has passed since you last played InFAMOUS? That game looks like crap for today's standards and it doesn't hold any comparison with Ghost of Tsuhima on the technical level.
I have posted two videos of infamous in this thread, and 3 pieces of media of ghosts. Technically I see higher quality pbr textures in Infamous, beautiful time of day changes and draw distance, and fluid npc animation. The problems that ghosts has of which I want to discuss in this thread.

Last edited:

WindomURL

It's not visually perfect, and falls short of its preview quality. Not ds2 levels of downgrade, but it's noticeable.
But it sure is pretty. The forest path linking the north and south areas is breathtaking.

It's also tons of fun. And it loads in a literal wink. I ain't mad.

PresetError

Neophyte
I have posted two videos of infamous in this thread, and 3 pieces of media of ghosts. Technically I see higher quality pbr textures in Infamous, beautiful time of day changes and draw distance, and fluid npc animation. The problems that ghosts has of which I want to discuss in this thread.

Your selected pieces prove nothing. I've played both games. Ghost of Tsushime looks way better and it plays way smoother.

It's so obvious to anyone with eyes on their faces...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol why is this topic still up??

Even small games like tlou2 or the order or ryse have some shitty texture here and there, imagine discussing bad textures for a freakin open world game that run on a console less powerfull than my casio calculator...

Chun Swae

Banned
Your selected pieces prove nothing. I've played both games. Ghost of Tsushime looks way better and it plays way smoother.
Address the two images above posted in a normal playthrough by gamespot. Not cherrypicked it is what you see in game. That looks better than infamous to you?

Chun Swae

Banned
Lol why is this topic still up??

Even small games like tlou2 or the order or ryse have some shitty texture here and there, imagine discussing bad textures for a freakin open world game that run on a console less powerfull than my casio calculator...
Are graphics discussions not allowed on a video game forum now? This is not crappy textures here and there, but an all around fundamental lack of depth in all unlit areas in the game, with materials that seem to have no specularity to them at times.

jaysius

Banned

Oof, that video isn't a good example for your cause, the Archer guy with fucking wooden arms and shoulders that looks like they only animated his face, also shows how the facial animation is ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE, some people have an incredible amount of animation while others are basically wearing a mask, also the awful cutscenes that aren't main story beats are just robotic and sad.

It's the inconsistencies that make this game look bad and like a rookie effort, it's also the inconsistencies that stand out because of how much time they spent on the other parts, like the facial animation being PS3 era in some parts, is a sore thumb, because in other parts the facial animation is uncanny valley.

I don't know how much time they'd need to get this thing all polished.

Examples of games that are consistenly good looking? Death Strand and Nioh 1 and Nioh 2, Sekiro isn't the prettiest thing but it's 100% consistent.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Dude i replayed infamous second son during quarantine, i did 2 complete run (evil and good) and npc on the streets have shitty animations and even the digital acting during cutscene is really nothing special and stiff compared to new games, the time change is not dynamic but fixed and that helps a shitload.

Let's be fair comparing it to infamous isn't really an honest comparison. Do you know how easy it is to make a building look good compared to a tree? Lighting and textures are 100 times more difficult to nail when it comes to organic matter. I mean gtav still holds up across 3 gens ffs. And that's before we go into the insane amount of particles at play in this game. Suckerpunch clearly chose where they wanted thier focus to be in terms of visual design and personally I think it pays off big time.

Picking out some bad screenshots is a pretty blatant attempt at having a negative take when it's so easy to take good ones. It's the most photogenic game I've personally ever played.

Top Bottom