• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

McCheese

Dynamic weather system dude, the game looks flat and dull when it's overcast. Just play your magical flute and make the sun come out.

People are not really talking about it as the game never really looks bad, and quite often looks incredible.

But yes, due to how dynamic things are you can quite easily create some rather bland screenshots.

This game is gorgeous more often than not. Everytime I start up my pro I'm amazed so idk wtf is going on in here lol. As a matter of fact when sun is setting tht is one of the most beautiful areas lol.

Yeah it's a game that may not excel in any one area but everything comes together nicely and paints a pretty overall picture. I'm really hoping they add some PS5 upgrades to it though.

Why can't people just enjoy games without worrying what some background character looks like, if the trees are the wrong type or there's not the proper reflection in a car windscreen? Who honestly gives a shit apart from forum users? 🤔
Why can't Devs be upfront honest and showcase their game as it really is ?
I don't think people cared about the women in the background that much, it wasn't a concern.

turtlepowa

Banned
I see nothing wrong with what he said. It has an 83 meta score. Its a solid title. But criticizing him for not thinking it's "special"? Gameplay is very similar to AC with pretty basic, repetitive side quests. AI is piss poor. Stealth is piss poor. However, the world, art, combat is good.
It's an exclusive game, people always try to talk them better than they are

Orky

Banned
The people that care for this are the same people that care for trees in racing games.
Personally, I really don't care. It doesn't break anything for me.

Stupid bugs, like deleting savegames would bother me much more.

idrago01

Banned
I think you need an HDR tv to get the full effect, I'm playing on a Sony X850F 85 Inch TV and I think it looks amazing with all the different particle effects, HDR colors, and motion. Of course you're going to get sh!tty textures, pop in, etc. but I just don't get hung up on graphics on the playstation, since I know the PS4 pro just can't compete on a technical level with my PC where I play the majority of my games and so I set my expectations very low, however once in awhile the PS4 surprises me. But than again I'm reminded of the gap in power when I have a game like death stranding which looked nice on the PS4 but is freaking amazing on my 2080ti computer with 60fps and reshade. I can only imagine how GOT would look without the PS4's hardware holding it back.

Last edited:
Sure... sure, thanks for the “concern”...
Wow, your concern extends to me too?! I have no words...
You are really trying to stir something here that is just not there. Another Puddlegate or downgrade scandal where honestly by the quality of the concern and investigative “journalism” done here I expect tits on page 3.
Or worse trying to put them down/concern troll them in more obvious or less obvious ways.
You're taking this WAAAAY too personal, i posted my opinion of the game and you acting like the women in the background bugging.
But we all know why you acting like this, because it's a sony exclusive, they can't be criticized.
I even said that the women in the background wasn't a concern.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So none of the game looks like this 2018 image?
ps5-games-list-ghosts-tsushima-playstation-5.jpg
The game often looks better than this image

GlockSaint

The game could have used more animations for npcs and stuff but it looks incredible more often than naught. Not every game no matter how polished looks amazing throughout.
Ff7 the a lot of npcs looks like ps2 models and long corridors, god of war had the same enemies reskined over and over. Hzd had terrible npcs that were literally copy pasted in quests, and they had zero animations when you talked to them.
This didn't stop them from being great games.

Tomeru

Nice :).

I am still surprised at how sensationalistic the OP is “Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

Why? People wake up!!! Why are you taking part to this cover up?!

Hey man, dont be like that, op is just "discussing" shady practices like what was being "discussed" in that other thread. "Discussion" is good, and we should partake in hyperbole whenever we can.

This is the way.

Noticed it watching some bit on twitch. This and final fantasy 7 weren't ready.

Clearly 😕

Last edited:
There is some jank in the animations and character models, specially the NPCs.
Sometimes camera gets confused a bit, remember it being bit similar in second son too.
In one quest you're supposed to save a young boy, and the boy has a middle aged mans face.:messenger_grinning_sweat:
I think dynamic lighting is to blame for the dullness at some times.

Game looks really good overall, sometimes very beautiful.
First open world game for a while where i stop to enjoy the scenery.
Fighting is pretty good, and doesn't punish you too much when dying. (load times are pretty good, and spawns you back near where you died)

GymWolf

Meh, the only thing that bother me is the total absence of ragdoll and havok, for a dev studios without the money, time and manpower of rockstar they did a great job with the rest of the graphic.

Also, there is no open world game in existence without some bad looking area.

Oh yeah and facial animations being pretty shitty, yesterday i had that famous scene with raizou and his digital acting was hilarious...

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
People rallied around this game. To stick it to TLoU2. So they downplay its faults. Its a fun game. Nothing special. Sometimes people want exactly that. Fun. Ill be playing it on PS5.

"People rallied around this game. To stick it to TLoU2."

This is probably my favourite take.

Its not the top tier art direction.
Its not the immersive gameplay.
Its not the beautiful scenes.
Its not the excellent combat.
Its not the interesting setting and story.

No. People are only pretending to like the game to stick it to TLOU2.

What a load of utter bullshite.
Lads at some point you will have to accept that, not only is TLOU2 not a perfect game, it is not a game for everyone. Maybe folks don't like the characters, setting or gameplay.

Its so sad that you are so fanatical about a certain game that you believe people preferring a completly different game are just doing it to spite your game.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It looks great, but if you've just finished TLOU2 like a lot of other Playstation owners, it's going to look considerably worse, because it's not a series of tightly-knit corridors and arenas, it's a pretty big open world that loads at an impressive rate.

That’s quite interesting considering that several people I talked to said this game is better than TLOU2 in everything. I haven’t played it yet, so I don’t know, based on who I’ve seen I don’t think it looks better or more technically impressive than TLOU2. Then again, GOT is open world while TLOU2 is semi-open.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Knock it off with the low effort antagonistic console war posts.
don't ya know it's not allowed to say anything negative about Sony?

Games from Sucker Punch/Naughty Dog etc get a free pass. You say anything bad then Sony will send their goons around.

i think it looks like a mediocre game at best. don't understand why everyone is praising other than of course...it's a Sony game.

psorcerer

Banned

This is just one example, not even the best at how flat Ghost of Tsushima looks in all areas that are not the forest. Also ignore the lady bugging out that isn't the point. It looks considerably worse than their PS4 launch game Infamous Second Son. None also talks about how the animation looks entirely keyframed and the cutscenes for most NPC are just a wide shot camera angle with absolutely no movement whatsoever. You would think zero effort went into the presentation of this big budget Sony first party game outside its foliage area which for somehow hides the flat lighting.

Though this is all saved by some very fun sword combat and moves, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills whenever I play this game and see how bad some parts of it look.

EDIT: Here's the first video I found of Sucker Punch's 2014 game Infamous Second Son. The lighting, npc animations, and textures look like an actual PS4 game. All I'm saying is that I feel like I'm taking crazy pills my thinking that the engine seems significantly downgraded from then and now,

Dunno I would say that the animation LODs are not great. Mainly because they didn't went with the Rickstar: nothing exists until you get there route. But who am I after all...

Yeah it definitely gets praised more than it's being criticized. Character facials/models and a lot of textures are very poor but this is an artistic game, you're supposed to enjoy the exaggerated amounts of leaves falling from trees and wind blowing. I suppose in this day an age where everything is political bullshit GoT stands out as the classic type of games we played years ago. It's a breath of fresh air after TLOU2 just polluted everything.

GymWolf

The game could have used more animations for npcs and stuff but it looks incredible more often than naught. Not every game no matter how polished looks amazing throughout.
Ff7 the a lot of npcs looks like ps2 models and long corridors, god of war had the same enemies reskined over and over. Hzd had terrible npcs that were literally copy pasted in quests, and they had zero animations when you talked to them.
This didn't stop them from being great games.
Npc in horizon are among the best ever in terms of graphic and they are all different, wtf are you talking about??

horizon-character-art.jpg

Saruhashi

Banned
don't ya know it's not allowed to say anything negative about Sony?

Games from Sucker Punch/Naughty Dog etc get a free pass. You say anything bad then Sony will send their goons around.

i think it looks like a mediocre game at best. don't understand why everyone is praising other than of course...it's a Sony game.

A free pass how?

By your logic we should only ever trust 3rd party games.

As if there's no way a console exclusive developer could make a good game.

What other games are out this week that are better? This month? This quarter?

Maybe if you played it you would have a better chance of understanding why it gets praise?

"I don't understand why people like the thing."
OK. Have you tried the thing?
"Nope."
Well maybe that's why you don't understand?

There's a ton of reviews out there that explain exactly why people like the game.

I think maybe you expect them to see some lower performance part of the game and just throw it all out "graphics aren't the best reeeeee 4 out of 10".

Is it possible for a game to be awesome despite its flaws?

pawel86ck

Banned
I have seen similar looking flat lighting in certain places in every game on current gen consoles with open word and even semi open world (uncharted 4 included, especialy Scotland).

We really need real time GI on next gen consoles and I cant wait to play first UE5 engine game.

Stuart360

Does my TV suck or something then? I mean I got a Samsung KS8000. What am I missing?

I'm not crazy, and I think the OP has a valid point.

Edit: Somebody who can explain it better than me.

Damn. That first video doesnt look too bad, differences wise, and its not always a downgrade problem, sometimes changes are an artistic thing. That second video though, its like when you compare a PC game on Ultra, then see the same game on Medium, or Low. The game looks very flat, like ambient occlusion has been turned off, and most of the shadows.

I think every1 completely forgets that as much as good as it looks. Ps4 is limited on the hardware side for the developers to achieve what they wanted to do so some things might have to be dialed down

Stuart360

What i dont understand with these kind of downgrades is 'why?'. I mean its one thing with a early gen game, that may of started life on unfinished dev kits, or not even devkits at all and were first shown on PC's, but this is coming at the end of the gen when Sucker Punch have final dev kits, so why would there need to be downgrades to this level?. Is it all about building hype and fooling gamers?.

Skifi28

That's the price all games going for realism with ToD pay. Certain lighting conditions will always look more attractive than others, much like real life.

Hobbygaming

What i dont understand with these kind of downgrades is 'why?'. I mean its one thing with a early gen game, that may of started life on unfinished dev kits, or not even devkits at all and were first shown on PC's, but this is coming at the end of the gen when Sucker Punch have final dev kits, so why would there need to be downgrades to this level?. Is it all about building hype and fooling gamers?.
The end product is great and looks great so it doesn't really matter what the vertical slice showed

My initial thought when you first start the game on the muddy beaches was "man, TLoU looks way better".

But once you're done with the tutorial part and actually get into the open world, riding through fields of flowers while the wind passes by... it is an absolutely gorgeous game.

Saruhashi

Banned

I don't know if it's about "fooling gamers" as such but it's still not a good thing for developers to do.

Truth is though if you are showing off a game in 2017 and the thing won't be ready for release in 2020 then how can anyone really know how the final product will compare?

Like if you've only fully created a small section of game and you are going to show it off to the public then you will have a big focus on how it looks.

Once you're dealing with the full open world and all the other elements maybe the graphics and performance needs to be dialled back a bit.

I don't know.
I suppose it's like when you see a photo of some restaurants food taken in perfect controlled conditions with the goal of enticing customers. Then the reality is not quite so good.

I would tend to prioritise gameplay over graphics myself so if I still enjoy the actual game then I'd not be too bothered they their early stuff looked better graphically.

Its very much a gaming thing and it seems to come from the fact that a lot of gamers do fixate on how something looks rather than how it plays. Probably why we get loads of cinematic trailers long before we get to see gameplay in action.

Quite difficult to 100% honestly market a game when you think about it since you can't show everything in the game in the trailer. The trailer is kind of designed as a "best impression" for the potential customer.

I don't think the difference is large enough to call it deception but this does seem to be a common thing. I think there was a similar thing with Spider-man and puddles/water.

Hobbygaming

Well just remember you said that, next time we have another game that has downgrades.
And yes, the final game still looks good overall.
I don't mind artistic changes especially in this case since GoT is one of the most beautiful games this generation.

The Witcher 3 got a downgrade and it still ended up great. People get over it if the finished product is still awesome

Rudius

I'm waiting to play this game at 60 fps on PS5. We can hope they will take this months until then to develop a more comprehensive patch, in order to improve the weak technical aspects.

I don't know if it's about "fooling gamers" as such but it's still not a good thing for developers to do.

Truth is though if you are showing off a game in 2017 and the thing won't be ready for release in 2020 then how can anyone really know how the final product will compare?
Sucker Punch was dealing with Ps4 Dev Kit way before the announcement of Ps4, so you'll excuse people concerns about this game.
Like if you've only fully created a small section of game and you are going to show it off to the public then you will have a big focus on how it looks.

Once you're dealing with the full open world and all the other elements maybe the graphics and performance needs to be dialled back a bit.

I don't know.
The console doesn't load the entire (open world) game, it loads as you approach a certain zone, it loads the parts you're heading to.
I suppose it's like when you see a photo of some restaurants food taken in perfect controlled conditions with the goal of enticing customers. Then the reality is not quite so good.
Which is misleading, there are video's showing how they make those, it's fake from A to Z.
I would tend to prioritise gameplay over graphics myself so if I still enjoy the actual game then I'd not be too bothered they their early stuff looked better graphically.

Its very much a gaming thing and it seems to come from the fact that a lot of gamers do fixate on how something looks rather than how it plays. Probably why we get loads of cinematic trailers long before we get to see gameplay in action.
Each it's own preferences, there are people that like both.
Quite difficult to 100% honestly market a game when you think about it since you can't show everything in the game in the trailer. The trailer is kind of designed as a "best impression" for the potential customer.

I don't think the difference is large enough to call it deception but this does seem to be a common thing. I think there was a similar thing with Spider-man and puddles/water.
For reasons above it's a shame that those practices became common in the gaming industry.

I don't mind artistic changes especially in this case since GoT is one of the most beautiful games this generation.

The Witcher 3 got a downgrade and it still ended up great. People get over it if the finished product is still awesome
Some might say The Witcher 3 had artistic changes as well, etc...

Top Bottom