• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is no one talking about how bad Ghost Of Tsushima looks in certain areas?

leo-j

I think they downgraded it for a ps5 upgrade. Because the game looks noticeably downgraded from the e3 tech demo running on a pro. Games tend to upgrade since e3 on the Sony first party side.

Shrap

Game has to take cuts from somewhere to get all that foliage swaying and the likes. My issue is the oversaturation of the colors. It doesn't look realistic.

I'm still getting the game and it does look like a nice, fun AC game set in Japan
I see nothing wrong with what he said. It has an 83 meta score. Its a solid title. But criticizing him for not thinking it's "special"? Gameplay is very similar to AC with pretty basic, repetitive side quests. AI is piss poor. Stealth is piss poor. However, the world, art, combat is good.
So you haven't played the game either?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yep; this game is a great showpiece for the TCL Series' HDR capabilities. While TLoU Remastered and TLoU II's HDR look amazing on the R617 in terms of chromatic contrast, GoT's implementation of chromatic contrast is even more impressive and is coupled with the best luminous contrast that I've ever seen. I didn't know that the R617 could look this good; the highlights are super bright.
Does my TV suck or something then? I mean I got a Samsung KS8000. What am I missing?

I'm not crazy, and I think the OP has a valid point.

Edit: Somebody who can explain it better than me.

Last edited:

TJC

There are definitely some areas of the game that look abit dodgey. However overall I'm in love with the way this game looks and plays. I have about 50 screenshots of moments where I've had to stop and boot up photo mode. I'm playing on a OLED so maybe that helps but this game looks beautiful.

Abear21

Banned
Gameplay is definitely solid which is why I honestly don't care much about the graphics and can play the game happily. It's just that the bad lighting and textures isn't "here and there" its throughout the whole game and can be quite jarring at times.

I feel the same way with obvious lod pop in, itā€™s crazy distracting seeing detail all draw in at the same distance.

Snow Runner is guilty of this, I love the game but seeing rocks get drawn in as you ride down the road is distracting and a little annoying if I havenā€™t had my medicine!

I think GoT is the perfect example of what happens when a console gen goes on too long. I hope most agree Sucker Punch squeezed all they could from the PS4 and taking into consideration the ancient hardware sacrifices must have been made.

I feel the same way with obvious lod pop in, itā€™s crazy distracting seeing detail all draw in at the same distance.

Snow Runner is guilty of this, I love the game but seeing rocks get drawn in as you ride down the road is distracting and a little annoying if I havenā€™t had my medicine!

I think GoT is the perfect example of what happens when a console gen goes on too long. I hope most agree Sucker Punch squeezed all they could from the PS4 and taking into consideration the ancient hardware sacrifices must have been made.

This.

TLOU 2 and GoT HAD to have utilized 100% of the PS4'S capabilities.

I mean, damn, the fact that my PS4 can run either games with an acceptable performance is mind boggling.

I've become a PC gamer on the side in the recent years, and there's really not much there that makes me wow as much as those two games.

Last game on PC that made me go wow was probably Metro Exodus.

What a great game.

But PC wins hands down in the variety and gameplay departments.

Bannerlord sucked the life out of me upon release even with its shoddy graphics.

Justin9mm

Yeah I stand by my previous comment in another thread that it feels like I'm playing a game from at least 5 or 6 years ago with a new lick of paint on it. I don't think they have really evolved since Infamous. It's just a brand new setting. It has very old school game mechanics. The camera is the worst thing about this game, then the story, then the graphical issues with lighting and NPC character models etc. Lucky they got the combat pretty right besides the camera otherwise the game would be shit. After 5-6 hours in, probably rate it a generous 7/10 for me. I don't dislike the game, having good fun with the combat, just a little dissapointed with it.

Coming off the TLOU2 this game definitely feels dated.

TimFL

The sword gameplay is literally the only thing that keeps this game interesting to me. The rest, bar the occasional graphical wow moment, is of PS3 presentation level.

I cringe every time I see the bad NPC animations or the cinematic bar single camera angle no-movement cutscenes. Especially jarring when you had a ā€žproperā€œ cutscene with animations etc right before the PS3 style one.

I wonder what happened during development, would love a behind the scenes thingy by Geoff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So none of the game looks like this 2018 image?
ps5-games-list-ghosts-tsushima-playstation-5.jpg

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I edited the post and you're making excuses. If its in SDR, both videos are in SDR. so you can still compare. Need somebody who's not biased to look at this please.

You have a Samsung KS8000, which has inferior HDR capabilities than the TCL 6 Series. Go to Rtings and use their comparison tool to see for yourself (Link).

Take a look at the following values; those on the left belong to the KS8000 and those on the right belong to the TCL 6 Series.

Last edited:

I noticed some areas but it didnā€™t bother me one bit. For the first time in a while I was totally engrossed in a game. Some of these Tales are amazing and well written. That One Heavenly Strike mission was awesome. I could care less about some of the graphically issues.

DavidGzz

I don't care because it's beautiful overall. The graphics are just a bonus to this amazing game. I can say, I have never paused and taken screenshots of a game as much as this one, not even close. Prettiest game this gen.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The sword gameplay is literally the only thing that keeps this game interesting to me. The rest, bar the occasional graphical wow moment, is of PS3 presentation level.

I cringe every time I see the bad NPC animations or the cinematic bar single camera angle no-movement cutscenes. Especially jarring when you had a ā€žproperā€œ cutscene with animations etc right before the PS3 style one.

I wonder what happened during development, would love a behind the scenes thingy by Geoff.
Probably a combo of budget and SP. Looking at their games, they had a slew of high-80s SLy games during PS2.

During PS3-PS4, it's been all Infamous with every game somewhere in that 80-85 range (I purposely excluded the 70s DLC). Ghosts at 83 seems to fit well.

A studio that reliably makes good games. Not 90+ AAA games, but not 65 MC score games either.

Well it looks better than the areas with low detailed textures and npcs than in FF7 remake.

This game has more solid graphical package than that game. Besides TLOU 2 probably had a blank check from Sony and was in development longer by a much larger team, so was RDR 2.

Itā€™s on par with most other open world games in terms of graphics.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The style is not the issue. The art is great. The fighting, fantastic. The skybox and the way it blends dawn into morning and afternoon to night is spectacular. The story....eh I haven't gotten far enough yet. I don't like how they cheapened the standoff with the swooshes and cheap particle effect. The lighting changes and changes to scenery is not game altering, but it's noticeable and obviously a choice to tone the game down for performance purposes.

jaysius

Banned
I just started playing, Yuna's face is mostly a mask, the facial animations range from uncanny valley to "this person has a mask" it's really bad how all over the place it is. The textures sometimes are very PS3 looking, the beach where you wash up is depressingly bad.

People are being hard on this game, because so many reviews are gushing about HOW AMAZING IT LOOKS, when honestly, it's pretty in parts, other parts it's really fugly. The lack of arm movement in scenes where people are talking to you is offputting too.

I feel it's very fair to be hard on it, because Nioh 1 even did a better job of animating faces and characters in cutscenes.

Nioh 2 did a great job at everything and it was mostly 60fps.

If this game came out a few years ago when they started showing it off, everything would have been perfectly ok, but for a last of gen game... this is a mismash of polish and lack thereof, but the lack thereof parts are so bad some of this stuff would fit right in with a PS3 game.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

FFVII had similar pro
Well it looks better than the areas with low detailed textures and npcs than in FF7 remake.

This game has more solid graphical package than that game. Besides TLOU 2 probably had a blank check from Sony and was in development longer by a much larger team, so was RDR 2.

Itā€™s on par with most other open world games in terms of graphics.

FFVII was hilarious considering the fact its a completely linear game without any interaction whatsoever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People are being hard on this game, because so many reviews are gushing about HOW AMAZING IT LOOKS, when honestly, it's pretty in parts, other parts it's really fugly. The lack of arm movement in scenes where people are talking to you is offputting too.
I think a major part of the wow factor was the art style which seems to be tons of bold colours, leaves and things like that. If this game had a more traditional action game colour palette, most people wouldn't care.

It's like No Man's Sky.

When that game got shown in 2013 or so, it's not like that game had the best textures or animations. Ignore the bullshot video of dinosaurs. Most people were impressed with the wacky colours like red trees and yellow sky. When they actually got the game and took a deeper look at the visuals it wasnt so impressive anymore compared to preview videos.

Keihart

I don't know man, i haven't played all those other games with crazy amounts of particles and folliage constantly in screen to compare it to.
It's almost as if games have to choose where to spend their performance budget and can't do everything at once, crazy right?

The art style is great, but the game took a huge hit from (moving foliage & leafs), the animations are bad, AI is bad, etc...
It's like it was made to waw people on trailers to make a Buzz about the game and playstation so they can sell more units.

Soodanim

I think itā€™s more likely that the devs got caught up in scale and werenā€™t able to keep that performance level and had to downgrade. Itā€™s cynical to believe these devs all want to trick people.

Ghosts seems to be game centred around the visual style, so when people talk about its visuals they focus on that. Maybe they donā€™t see that lighting condition in the OP that often. Models in the vid donā€™t look great, though.

CrysisFreak

Banned
This thread feels like a hyperbole simulator.
The game looks awesome in motion during moment to moment gameplay.
As if I'll let a few visual inconsistencies ruin my experience.
There is a lot of hating going on, people wanted it to be received badly because you know but oh well that did not work out for them.
Also the combat is insane. If you finished Sekiro you'll automatically be a fucking beast in GOT by the time you're 30% through.
Deal with it jfl.

I am baffled at the downgrade talk, I only see artistic differences between E3 and playing through the E3 section in the retail release. What are you all smoking, i remember folks were quick to call downgrade for Second Son when that launched too only to have them proven wrong time and again. Just stop with this silly downgrade talk on Ghost.

Some aspects of the game look terrible (the custscences of side quests in particular), however so much of the game looks absolutely gorgeous that it's easy to forgive them.

I am baffled at the downgrade talk, I only see artistic differences between E3 and playing through the E3 section in the retail release. What are you all smoking, i remember folks were quick to call downgrade for Second Son when that launched too only to have them proven wrong time and again. Just stop with this silly downgrade talk on Ghost.
That's a way to put it, Jigsaah Jigsaah posted this above :

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Why are people not talking about how bad it looks in certain areas?

Probably because they're far too busy enjoying the game & loving how it looks 90% of the time.

It's not really possible to get to the level of Naughty Dog or Rockstar animations & general polish, without Naughty Dog or Rockstar time & budget. Other devs, like Sucker Punch, need to make compromises in certain areas in order to better realise their vision. I'm sure they know that Jin runs up hills with the same animation as if he was on flat ground, like a Bethesda game in third person view, but I guess they simply didn't have the time to get around to fixing that because other things were judged to be more important.

The game is still a stunner & a lot of fun.

So none of the game looks like this 2018 image?
ps5-games-list-ghosts-tsushima-playstation-5.jpg

I mean, it's not too far away at times. Doesn't quite have that level of detail though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The art style is great, but the game took a huge hit from (moving foliage & leafs), the animations are bad, AI is bad, etc...
It's like it was made to waw people on trailers to make a Buzz about the game and playstation so they can sell more units.

Sure... sure, thanks for the ā€œconcernā€...

This game is a contender for best looking game this gen, whatchou talkin bout boy

ghostoftsushima_20200ebj79.jpg

ghostoftsushima_20200e9kjx.png

wEN9hWU.jpg

ghostoftsushima_2020099jkg.png

This game is something else... Going to a much wider open world than Second Son was not enough for some people, having a lot more organic detail than SS was also not enough, volumetric cloud simulations not enough, dynamic Time of Day over static time of day also not enough (as if the ā€œconcernedā€ citizens here cared about the complexity of having dynamic time of day vs static time of day settings), very far draw distance for the dense and interactive foliage (a system that was essentially completely absent in Second Son) was not enough, etc...

Tons and tons of work have gone into making the world of GoT possible and its gameplay and some people are trying to get another Puddlegate thing going to drag it down as they do for every big PS exclusive they get in their sights... you may have issues with some bits here and there, the same points DFā€™s review found, but to call it technically lacking, flat, etc... just makes me smh šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Why can't people just enjoy games without worrying what some background character looks like, if the trees are the wrong type or there's not the proper reflection in a car windscreen? Who honestly gives a shit apart from forum users? šŸ¤”

the game does have a very basic art design which i think is on purpose and the HDR lighting is a fucking mess...and i hate the camera tilt when you are riding
but outside of that i am enjoying it much more than LOU2

Top Bottom