• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Need For Speed Unbound such a stupidly hard game?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is it that bad? I've already purchased so will see what I think.
Idk, a lot of people seem to like it but I just found it tedious and unbalanced as shit. Tried to force myself to finish it but only made it til about a halfway point.

I'm also way out of my element with the music and the general vibe that it's going for. Not even sure if kids these days actually find this stuff cool or if the developers are out of touch themselves. Either way, it's cringe factory and I muted the game within the first 45 minutes in favor of some podcasts.

wvnative

Idk, a lot of people seem to like it but I just found it tedious and unbalanced as shit. Tried to force myself to finish it but only made it til about a halfway point.

I'm also way out of my element with the music and the general vibe that it's going for. Not even sure if kids these days actually find this stuff cool or if the developers are out of touch themselves. Either way, it's cringe factory and I muted the game within the first 45 minutes in favor of some podcasts.
This sums up my thoughts exactly.

For me it was worse than any of the ghost games.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I put in on easy mode after getting annoyed by the constant cop chases in the boring open world and finished it pretty fast after that tbh. It was more random than hard.

Actually its not, its that way by design. All the other NFS titles you were used to getting GOLD and assuming here is the same thing but in Unbound its about collecting cash. Even if you are fourth, as long as you get some cash you are good. Anyway that progress lasts about for the first 2 weeks. Last two weeks I kept skipping days and getting arrested by cops just to progress further because I had so much cash half way through the game. Either way, its a super mediocre NFS and Horizon 5 surpasses it in every aspect.

GHG

Gold Member
How'd it go?

First impressions for the price I've paid, not bad at all. Feels like a spiritual successor to NFS: underground which is exactly what I expected/wanted.

I'll just dip in and out of it between playing other games over the next few months.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Too late.

Also, all the hip hop haters here can suck it.

American Music Awards GIF by AMAs
sad rick ross GIF by VH1

KrisB

Actually its not, its that way by design. All the other NFS titles you were used to getting GOLD and assuming here is the same thing but in Unbound its about collecting cash. Even if you are fourth, as long as you get some cash you are good. Anyway that progress lasts about for the first 2 weeks. Last two weeks I kept skipping days and getting arrested by cops just to progress further because I had so much cash half way through the game. Either way, its a super mediocre NFS and Horizon 5 surpasses it in every aspect.
That’s the impression I got too. I had the same problem as OP where I couldn’t place better than 4th or 3rd for the life of me in the first bunch of races. I then thought maybe this plays into the story as your character is the new upcomer so it wants to give you the feeling of starting from the bottom and winning tiny bits of cash and slowly building your cars up and getting better cars.

Personally I’m not a fan of that game design as it’s just frustrating and tedious because you’re essentially playing against a rigged game mechanic and it’s not skilled based at all.

I only played this for a few hours on the EA free trial then uninstalled it. Will stick to Gran Turismo 7 and crying myself to sleep that we won’t get another Driveclub.

GHG

Gold Member
That’s the impression I got too. I had the same problem as OP where I couldn’t place better than 4th or 3rd for the life of me in the first bunch of races. I then thought maybe this plays into the story as your character is the new upcomer so it wants to give you the feeling of starting from the bottom and winning tiny bits of cash and slowly building your cars up and getting better cars.

Personally I’m not a fan of that game design as it’s just frustrating and tedious because you’re essentially playing against a rigged game mechanic and it’s not skilled based at all.

I only played this for a few hours on the EA free trial then uninstalled it. Will stick to Gran Turismo 7 and crying myself to sleep that we won’t get another Driveclub.

Skill issue.

I had no problem placing first and second in the first 2 races on the hardest difficulty.

There are drift and nos mechanics that are explained in the intro of the game, you have to use them.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I actually started winning races more easily later on, with only an occasional bullshit rubberbanding where the opponent racer inexplicably jumped to warp-9 in the middle of a race.

But what completely killed my motivation to keep playing are those boring-ass cop chases where they're too stupid to actually be able to bust you, but the game will also keep spawning them out of nowhere, making it very difficult to shake the pursuit completely.

If it wasn't for that bullshit the game would be over in like 5 hours. It's mercilessly padded out.

JayK47

This is definitely much worse than the last 4 or so Need for Speed games. Really bland characters and grindy. And woke as well, why not? I enjoyed the last several games so much I actually considered buying this new one when it came out rather than waiting for a sale as I usually do. Glad I didn't buy it. I am playing it on gamepass and it is barely worth my time.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I dont mind the actual races too much, but the fucking cops are shit in this game. I stopped playing because its insanely ridiculous

JayK47

Yes, the cops. I got sick of losing my money for the day or losing a race as one would run in front of me right in front of the finish line. Also got sick of paying into a race, only to lose it and come out with less money than going in. The progression is brutal. It takes too long to get decent rides.

//DEVIL//

I found it one of the easiest need for speed games and it's the only one in recent years that I finished it. The last one I finished before that was HP remastered

Top Bottom