• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I turned down exclusivity deal from the Epic Store (developer of “DARQ”)

Dontero

Banned
I had just announced DARQ release date on Steam - pulling the game off Steam a few days after Steam release date announcement would forever ruin the credibility of my studio

No it wouldn't. Amount of people in Epic-Steam fanboy wars is minimal and most of people ignore it, they just buy game where they can buy it. IF you read reddit threads etc there are barely few dozens of people who circlejerk over it, same as here. That is nothing if game has potential to reach 100k-200k-500k etc.

DARQ was listed on Steam since late 2018. A lot of Steam users added DARQ to their wishlist and patiently waited for its release date for almost a year.

They did that because it was only place that had it. I don't get why people are fucking entitled to something just because they see ad in some store. Games apperently are serious business where store apperently is so important that people are willing to ignore it if by chance game isn't featured on that store and say it is fine. But god help someone if once they have seen ad on game that was going for steam store but in the end didn't go there.

When i see ad for vacum cleaner in mediamarkt i don't cry if that vacum cleaner won't be sold in mediamarkt but in Auchan or something.

I wish the Epic Store would allow indie games to be sold there non-exclusively, as they do with larger, still unreleased games (Cyberpunk 2077), so players can enjoy what they want: a choice.

I like how he says that Epic gives no option. "Either you release on our platform without deal or you get deal with sweet money for exclusivity."

His decision but he made dumb decision imho. The store you release is non important factor if people are interested in game. So by leaving steam he would lost unpredictable amount of people who don't know anything about game and just happened to see it on the store (which by itself became non factor as Steam releases 200 games every month) or get nice deal that guarantees your survival at price of some fanboys being buthurt about it. And mostly butthurt on Epic not developer for some weird reason.

Console gamers have to be watching this Epic store thing playout with a smirk.

Why ? Situation is not at all comparable. On console if something gets exlusivity you need to literally buy console to play it.

On PC store "exclusivity" is a joke because all it requires of you is 5 minute register and login and second to use other shortcut on desktop.

Which is why this steamfanboys whining is hilarious to me as i spend decades playing games without any digital store and i actually did not welcome steam which took away games from me and tied it to DRM bullshit where i don't own my games.

So Steam getting short end of stick is soothing music to me. Hopefully there will be 10 more Epic like stores and whole "friends list tied to store and community" garbage will burn in fire like it should.
No community ever should be tied to any store. That is like asking rapist to be your date.

Last edited:

ljubomir

all it requires of you is 5 minute register and login and second to use other shortcut on desktop.

This argument keeps repeating and annoys me to no end. Besides selling my personal details to yet another company and fragmenting my game library (which I understand not many people are concerned about), I'm giving up on:

- Preloading
- TV mode (big picture)
- Controller-friendly UI
- Ability to share the game library with family members via family sharing
- Integrated streaming to other PC, and phones, even online, including phone controls
- Library-wide Linux support, and Linux launcher.
- Integrated music library
- Extensive controller support, full customization even for keyboard-only games.
- Ability to share and publish custom controller configurations
- Achievements
- Regional pricing (for better or worse)
- User friendly mod support via Steam Workshop
- Remote game download (buy it at work, start playing as soon as you get home)
- Game backups
- Friends list, ability to join friends straight from chat
- Integrated ability to stream the game and watch friends play

And that's just from the top of my head, I'm sure other people care for different features. Buying a game on EGS has many tangible downsides with basically no pros, for me as a consumer.

Fuz

Banned
This argument keeps repeating and annoys me to no end. Besides selling my personal details to yet another company and fragmenting my game library (which I understand not many people are concerned about), I'm giving up on:

- Preloading
- TV mode (big picture)
- Controller-friendly UI
- Integrated streaming to other PC, and phones, even online, including phone controls
- Extensive controller support, full customization even for keyboard-only games.
- Achievements
- Game backups

And that's just from the top of my head, I'm sure other people care for different features. Buying a game on EGS has many tangible downsides with basically no pros, for me as a consumer.
Speaking for me (but I know I'm not alone) I DO NOT want a pointless piece of software installed on my PC to run my games. I want to have my games and that's it. That's why, while I use GOG, I don't even use Galaxy.

ljubomir

Speaking for me (but I know I'm not alone) I DO NOT want a pointless piece of software installed on my PC to run my games. I want to have my games and that's it. That's why, while I use GOG, I don't even use Galaxy.
I appreciate that. Being able to go launcher-less is why I like buying from gog. And I've backed up my gog collection on external 1TB drive, so I don't worry about being online, data caps or games being pulled from the store.

But it's hard to argue that features like family sharing are pointless.

Dontero

Banned

- Preloading
- TV mode (big picture)
- Controller-friendly UI
- Achievements
- Game backups

Sure but have you ever used game from outside of steam ? Because i never hear those arguments used then. It is only in response to EGS that those arguments are used.

Secondly no game should ever be tied to fucking store you buy. It is like buying honda and requiring to show up to honda dealer to fire up game everytime you want to go to work.

The more stores there are the less and less store community will be important, the more devs will ignore store APIs so that their games can be used by all people and the less player communities division will be there.

Like i said i wish there would be 10 more EPIc like stores with big money to completely blow up PC digital market up.
Because then when we will go to buy game we will be buying game not tying yourself to honda dealer hoping that your dealer is ever merciful and kind.

I appreciate that. Being able to go launcher-less is why I like buying from gog. And I've backed up my gog collection on external 1TB drive, so I don't worry about being online, data caps or games being pulled from the store.

But it's hard to argue that features like family sharing are pointless.

But you just said that those features are important to you. So which is it ? You can't have both at the same time.

Last edited:

Goff2k

Dontero deal with it...it's on Steam and not an EPIC exclusive, move on lol

You can "discuss" this all you want but what's done is done.

Last edited:

ljubomir

Sure but have you ever used game from outside of steam ? Because i never hear those arguments used then. It is only in response to EGS that those arguments are used.

Secondly no game should ever be tied to fucking store you buy. It is like buying honda and requiring to show up to honda dealer to fire up game everytime you want to go to work.

The more stores there are the less and less store community will be important, the more devs will ignore store APIs so that their games can be used by all people and the less player communities division will be there.

Like i said i wish there would be 10 more EPIc like stores with big money to completely blow up PC digital market up.
Because then when we will go to buy game we will be buying game not tying yourself to honda dealer hoping that your dealer is ever merciful and kind.

But you just said that those features are important to you. So which is it ? You can't have both at the same time.

Yes, those are important features. I share games within the family, stream to my phone on a weekly basis, use Linux extensively. Gog also supports linux, sharing within family is easy, so I decide on a game by game basis whether I value drm-free more than the other Steam conveniences (like the controller support). I tend to go to gog for offiline or older games.

Is it that hard to understand that I value what I pay for?

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Yes, those are important features. I share games within the family, stream to my phone on a weekly basis, use Linux extensively. Gog also supports linux, sharing within family is easy, so I decide on a game by game basis whether I value drm-free more than the other Steam conveniences (like the controller support). I tend to go to gog for offiline or older games.

Is it that hard to understand that I value what I pay for?

Yes it is hard to understand when you put importance of features to later discard it.

ljubomir

Yes it is hard to understand when you put importance of features to later discard it.

No store has them all, you have to pick what has the best value for you. If you care for non of them then good for you, but it's disingenuous so say there are no differences between the stores or that they bring the same value to the customer. They don't. That's why people have preferences.

Oh look, another EGS thread devolving into rabbling. I wonder why :unsure:

Oh it's just Dontero Dontero raging against dem gosh darn STEAMFANBOIIIIS again, don't mind him:

l3CTnrI.jpg

dirthead

Banned
Yeah this was definitely a calculated move. It was smart of him to play this like he's a really moral guy, but this is obviously just a PR move.

In terms of morality, EGS is no worse (possibly even better) than Steam. Valve is a shady ass company.

Yeah this was definitely a calculated move. It was smart of him to play this like he's a really moral guy, but this is obviously just a PR move.

If the developer would merely be out for profit, he'd have simply taken the exclusive deal from EGS.
Accusing him of martyr-ism and moral grandstanding for the mere sake of personal profit and PR makes absolutely no sense when he could be rolling in Sweeney's dough right now.

sol_bad

And yet, you keep white knighting Epic even though their games are tied to a store.

*EDIT*
In terms of morality, EGS is no worse (possibly even better) than Steam. Valve is a shady ass company.

WHAT?
Please explain why?

Last edited:

NickFire

I appreciate that he stayed true to his word after announcing plans previously. I fail to see a bad guy in this story though,

Pidull

No idea what the game is, but you turned it down so you could provide a more consumer friendly option, AND you released a DRM free version on GOG? You, sir, are awesome.

If you had a direct to consumer option from your developer website, I would buy from there.

I remember when Sweeney was complaining about the whole UWP thing with Microsoft, and how they were gonna create a monopoly. He pretended to be on the gamers side. Now we know what his agenda was.

manfestival

I initially saw this as some sorta attempt to virtue signal but then I read everything... now I feel compelled to buy the game just to support the guy despite not being interested in the game lol. Reading that little bit about Ooblets(from his point of view) really put things in perspective.

zeorhymer

I initially saw this as some sorta attempt to virtue signal but then I read everything... now I feel compelled to buy the game just to support the guy despite not being interested in the game lol. Reading that little bit about Ooblets(from his point of view) really put things in perspective.
The sad part is that he got pulled into it even without saying anything. Until after the tweets which he was mentioned, that he had to clarify his position cause everyone will go full conspiracy theory on him.....but it looks like Jason is already smearing the guy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Also: fuck Schreier.

The dev just wanted to be transparent in an industry of shady practices.
I mean every dev that has gone EGS has posted his reasons for it, most often with a ton of bs, and that was fine. Why's this so called pro-developer Jason guy adding to the pile on against an indie for deviating from Epic PR speak? Same way he made off topic and uncalled for snide remarks about Valve's company-wide paid vacation while promoting Epic knowing full well their crunch deal? Is he gonna call the devs of Oddworld who just posted their reasons for going to EGS martyr wannabes? What an outrageously one sided shitshow this whole thing has been from the media and so called journalists (the rest entities most often being companies naturally go for the risk free money, unless the media has been moneyhatted in this or that way like PC Gamer why go so all-in with the same bs and handwaving rather than show some impartiality and critical thinking?). Meh.

Last edited:

sol_bad

*raises hand*

How about Gaben actually opens up his fucking wallet and compete ffs? This strategy is fucking stupid on Valves part.

Valve agree with an open market, they don't want to control anything they have always let developers/publishers do what they want and sell where they want.

Dontero

Banned
And yet, you keep white knighting Epic even though their games are tied to a store.

The reason stores are tied to games is that each operator of store tries to create its own garden. Big players do that because if you get into that garden they want for you to purchase games from their store not the other ones. So friends list, and all nice features are not there to help you but to keep you away from other stores.

That won't work if there will be 20 stores each with their own friends list and communities. Just like in case of GOG that no one uses galaxy friends list this will happen to steam and other stores if there will be more harder competition.

And it is not that it doesn't already happen. Discord is known by everyone and it was created precisely because stores like Origin or Uplay were created which divided people playing together. Now you add to that Epic and more and more people go to Discord which is platform agnostic.

I already don't use friends list on steam to talk with people and since that garbage update few years ago that destroyed ability to not update games i completely stopped using workshop too.

Soon developers themselves will have really think when they are releasing their game if using store API for multiplayer is worth it when it creates more problems than brings benefits.

For example Grip on steam uses Discord API and you can easily completely skip people playing Steam. I can see more developers doing that or outright having no API integration at all.

This will benefit all other smaller stores who get fucked everytime game is released with steamworks. which effectively means either they will release half of the game or not at all or beg developers to release something being platform agnostic.

Which is why champion Epic and hope there will be next 20 stores that will completely fuck over steam monopoly.

Steam didn't introduce features like steamworks, workshop etc. to "help people". They did it to lock people in their garden and make it almost impossible to leave it for some developers and get your money.

Thanks to workshop we already have split modding community where shitload of mods are only on workshop instead of third party site like nexus or moddb and developers themselves started to ignore proper support for non workshop mods. Good example of that is Starbound where Starbound doesn't even want to fucking notice mods if it is not connected to Steam and if you by chance use unpacked mods they load fucking forever and crash most of the time.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Which is why champion Epic and hope there will be next 20 stores that will completely fuck over steam monopoly.

Steam didn't introduce features like steamworks, workshop etc. to "help people". They did it to lock people in their garden and make it almost impossible to leave it for some developers and get your money.

Good example of that is Starbound where Starbound doesn't even want to fucking notice mods if it is not connected to Steam and if you by chance use unpacked mods they load fucking forever and crash most of the time.

FdkkRva.png

Why "support" Epic when it's another "walled garden"? Why "support" Discord when it's yet another "walled garden"? You still need a desktop app to play Discord games. Why aren't you crucifying and criticising these stores equally?

I'm pretty sure Steam introduced these features to make things easier for developers. Regarding Starbound, your problem should be with them and not with Valve.

Sorry, but this irks me. YES, I put all my Uplay-Games into steam, I bought GTAV physical and put it into steam for two major fucking reasons:
1.Controller Support (yeah, this works with non-Steam games started through the steam client), I almost exclusively play with a PS4 Controller and Rockstar doesn't register it out of the box, Ubi is a bit better but not always and certainly not on "older" games.
2. Screenshots: one keyboard key or the infamous Homebutton+R2. Works like a charm, takes all external post effects (ENB, Reshade and the like) into account and has an option for "lossless" png.

So yeah, pro-Steam-arguments can be made for non-Steam-Games.
FCK
EGS
:)

Top Bottom