• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why haven't Digital Foundry done a Psychonauts 2 analysis video yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Seems like it’s a solid release on all platforms, so there probably isn’t much to discuss.

By all accounts it boils down to resolution differences and different frame rate options with little in the way of rendering differences, would likely make for a fairly dull video.

Technologically it's not anything to write home about. Performs well across the various systems too. So a video would probably be limited to listing out the resolutions for X and S, the framerates...and that's about it. At least in Kena there was other issues to talk about. The UE4 data streaming issues, the 24fps pre rendered cutscenes, and optimised settings cause Kena is heavier on the system.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
idk why everyone keeps speculating when i've stated why lol

Timestamped when John says why. Audi even jokes about "Psychonauts when". They just aren't making one because John was gone on break and they have other things on the docket.

Ive been thinking about it more and I think Its understabtable considering John has probably expressed interest in Psychonauts 2, which is why no one else did it while he was on a break.
It would be nice if they address the issue though, its clear people would like a Psychonauts 2 analysis, and its definitely a game worthy of a digital foundry analysis.

elliot5

Ive been thinking about it more and I think Its understabtable considering John has probably expressed interest in Psychonauts 2, which is why no one else did it while he was on a break.
It would be nice if they address the issue though, its clear people would like a Psychonauts 2 analysis, and its definitely a game worthy of a digital foundry analysis.
wdym address the issue lol there's not even an issue. They can choose what content to cover. And he literally addressed it in this video on their channel.

I love P2 as much as the next person and would like a video not for insight but because it deserves more attention on a general level, but I'm not mad at DF or John or anyone for not making a video. It's 7 different systems to run on, some with multiple performance modes making it like 9 different captures. That's a lot of work.

Life

(I can only talk in binary elsewise my account gets fucked for "warring")

Let's just say the game is very...cartoony lookin' - by design!

Last edited:
It’s a game with a great art style and runs wel but I don’t think it’s all that technically impressive enough for them to do a break down. It’s stable at 4K 60 and great at 120fps. That’s about all they would say.

This is odd, psychonauts 2 was a pretty popular and well received game, but DF have not done a stand alone technical analysis on this game!

And yet they have time to do videos like horizon zero dawn 60fps patch and death stranding ps5 edition, nothing wrong with doing analysis on upgrades of old games but its seems strange to prioritize those over a new full game thats on multiple platforms.

Please pester them on twitter about this. Thank you.
Great question. I'd love to see what sort of things they did it the game. There was a level near the end of that looked like it had raytracing because the reflections didn't disappear like SSR normally do. I'd love to see more about the tech deployed in the game. This may just come down to PlayStation being the bigger brand so its games get more coverage even when there is a PlayStation version...

Good question, they just did one for Kena: Bridge of Spirits so one would assume they would do one for Psychonauts 2 as well.
They did multiple videos on Kena.

Why do they need to?

It's not exactly pushing any technical boundaries...
What are you basing this on? Kena runs on a PS4. Do you think it is pushing some sort of technical boundaries that Psychonauts 2 isn't?

What's there to analyze? The game is no technical wonder. I played it briefly on PC with max settings, 4k, and the game ran fine, but it was not a looker. No fancy effects, high res textures, etc. to speak of.
Did we play the same game? It had some damn impressive graphics especially some of the Ford levels and the It's a 'Small World' level.

ParaSeoul

Let me take a guess, it's Microsoft published game and you must destroy them to hell ALL hail to PlayStation Nation ---- Or am I going too far with my assumptions ---- Say what you want don't be a puss about it. Say it.

Drake And Josh GIF

Sosokrates

I think John tweeted he was too busy basically and he missed the window
The only mention of it is
wdym address the issue lol there's not even an issue. They can choose what content to cover. And he literally addressed it in this video on their channel.

I love P2 as much as the next person and would like a video not for insight but because it deserves more attention on a general level, but I'm not mad at DF or John or anyone for not making a video. It's 7 different systems to run on, some with multiple performance modes making it like 9 different captures. That's a lot of work.
There is an issue for the reasons i just stated. You may not think there is an issue, but its a fact that people would like an analysis and the game is worthy of one. Also while he did adress the issue here:

And repeated the same message on a df weekly episode, a final clarification would be welcome.

If they decide to never to do a P2 video because john was away for a week then there objectivness is questionable. Because john being off for a week does not make doing a P2 analysis impossible.
The time they spent doing the crysis 3 remaster video and the tomb raider current gen patch could of been spent doing a Psychonauts 2 video.

Hugare

Yeah, I also missed them making a video about it

Technology wise, it would be linda boring because it uses Unreal Engine like so many other games, with similar techniques.

But, art wise, oh lord. They could go on and on about smart decisions made by Double Fine.

And the game has MANY portals similsr to what Ratchet & Clank does (obviously not as impressive), but they could make comparisons and ezplain the differences.

And lol at people implying that they are "Sony fans" or whatever.

Yeah, they have never covered any Xbox exclusive in the past.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Digital foundry seems to be changing, it used to be about inpartial and objective technical analysis, now there content is being more influenced by the likes and opinions. Theres nothing wrong with this, i enjoy there content, but there are times where I wished they would keep objective technical analysis and there opinions seperates, or at least state when something is there opinion and not a technical fact.

There technical analysis videos do seem more inconsistent then they used to be, where different DF staff member will choose to focus in different things based on there own personal opinion.

I dont think they are trying to be biased but if you dont have a consistent format there work is going to be biased.

So there videos are now more "personal thoughts on a game and its visuals with some technical analysis" rather then a pure technical analysis.

Maybe they should make more channel spin offs like DF:retro, because there content is a lot more varried now.
Personally I would prefer if they kept there objective technical analysis seperate to there subjective stuff.
For example a lot of what Alex said about the art style of Kena is subjective, im more interested in polycounts, effects technology, AA + resolution, fps, loading times and other technical things.

Last edited:
Digital foundry seems to be changing, it used to be about inpartial and objective technical analysis, now there content is being more influenced by the likes and opinions. Theres nothing wrong with this, i enjoy there content, but there are times where I wished they would keep objective technical analysis and there opinions seperates, or at least state when something is there opinion and not a technical fact.

There technical analysis videos do seem more inconsistent then they used to be, where different DF staff member will choose to focus in different things based on there own personal opinion.

I dont think they are trying to be biased but if you dont have a consistent format there work is going to be biased.

So there videos are now more "personal thoughts on a game and its visuals with some technical analysis" rather then a pure technical analysis.

Maybe they should make more channel spin offs like DF:retro, because there content is a lot more varried now.
Personally I would prefer if they kept there objective technical analysis seperate to there subjective stuff.
For example a lot of what Alex said about the art style of Kena is subjective, im more interested in polycounts, effects technology, AA + resolution, fps, loading times and other technical things.
It might just simply be a business decision. There is just more money in covering PlayStation games. At least it will make it harder for people to claim they are biased towards the Xbox. Looks like Xbox games won't be getting too much coverage unless its a multi-platform comparison.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And lol at people implying that they are "Sony fans" or whatever.

Yeah, they have never covered any Xbox exclusive in the past.
I haven't seen a single person imply that. Saying that they made a video of a game like kena because it's a Playstation exclusive isn't accusing them of being "Sony fans", it's simply understanding business. Sony have the significantly bigger fan base. Sony have significantly more "Sony fans" than there are "xbox fans", leading to more hits.

Psychonauts 2 sold/is selling terribly, like the original. Kena will sell millions. That's why DF have made videos about kena and not psychonauts - it will generate more traffic. Nothing more. These videos for games on 3+ platforms with 3+ graphical modes require a lot of time to make performance videos for. Sometimes it's not worth the time and effort.

Last edited:
This is odd, psychonauts 2 was a pretty popular and well received game, but DF have not done a stand alone technical analysis on this game!

And yet they have time to do videos like horizon zero dawn 60fps patch and death stranding ps5 edition, nothing wrong with doing analysis on upgrades of old games but its seems strange to prioritize those over a new full game thats on multiple platforms.

Please pester them on twitter about this. Thank you.
Psychonauts 2 was pretty popular? I thought it was ultra niche.

Sosokrates

Psychonauts 2 was pretty popular? I thought it was ultra niche.

Well, it had a Kickstarter and has been in dev a long time, so while its no fortnite it certainly has a following which is moderate. But it did get quite a bit of media buzz because of its high review scores and being included with gamepass will increase the playerbase by a significant margin. I would bot be surprised if there are more psychonaut 2 players then for returnal possibly kena too.

Sosokrates

Don't look too much into it.

They have limited time and resources and put out great content. Hard to complain.

This post glosses over all the points I made, I dont know how you can expect me to agree when you dont have any counter arguments, but if you do reply I recommend you read my posts in this thread because I cover your suggestion here and elaborate why its still an issue.

Did we play the same game? It had some damn impressive graphics especially some of the Ford levels and the It's a 'Small World' level.
It had a nice art style, but technically it didn't impress me at all. I only played a couple hours, tho, so maybe they did some stuff different later on in the game that was more interesting. 🤷‍♂️

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This post glosses over all the points I made, I dont know how you can expect me to agree when you dont have any counter arguments, but if you do reply I recommend you read my posts in this thread because I cover your suggestion here and elaborate why its still an issue.
I haven't glossed over the whole thread.

I can't change what they decide to cover. If they cover it then good. If not it's still a nice looking game.

I'm not so invested in this discussion to be upset.

Jesus... not everything is a conspiracy...

John didn't get around to it because he was on vacation. He played the game... and enjoyed it on his own time. It missed the window, and he had other things he was wanting to work on...

Alex also has his own stuff and was busy.

It's not the end of the world... they can't do everything.

It’s a pretty fun, really smart game, I’d like to see a break down.

few games I feel they missed over the past few months, it’s been some pretty solid stuff lately.

YCoCg

Well, it had a Kickstarter
It didn't have a Kickstarter, it had a FIG which was supposed to be the new website to challenge Kickstarter. FIG allowed people to own a "share" basically and thus earn a profit, when DoubleFine were purchased by Microsoft though MS cut a rough percentage increase to buy out all "shares".

Sosokrates

Jesus... not everything is a conspiracy...

John didn't get around to it because he was on vacation. He played the game... and enjoyed it on his own time. It missed the window, and he had other things he was wanting to work on...

Alex also has his own stuff and was busy.

It's not the end of the world... they can't do everything.

Jeez, if you actually read the thread you would know its not a conspiracy at all. What you say here has been acknowledged and discussed.

And, missed the window? Yes they missed the launch window, but that does not stop them doing video , it will just have less views, or maybe it wont because Psychonauts 2 is a great game and the word has spread.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
And, missed the window? Yes they missed the launch window, but that does not stop them doing video , it will just have less views, or maybe it wont because Psychonauts 2 is a great game and the word has spread.
Highlighted is why they probably won’t do it, and why they probably didn’t do it in the first place. They can’t do every game that gets released so they have to pick and choose their content to get the most views. Psychonauts won’t get more than Kena, a hyped up PlayStation exclusive.

What are you basing this “the word has spread” on? It is nowhere to be seen in the sales charts.

Sosokrates

I haven't glossed over the whole thread.

I can't change what they decide to cover. If they cover it then good. If not it's still a nice looking game.

I'm not so invested in this discussion to be upset.

Saying "dont look to much into it" is a pretty drive by trollish comment.

I mean, why not? How much am i looking into it?, when is it to much? Or to little? Since when do you decide these things?
And if its just advice, then let me give you some advice.

Dont tell people what to do, without explaining why.

Sosokrates

Highlighted is why they probably won’t do it, and why they probably didn’t do it in the first place. They can’t do every game that gets released so they have to pick and choose their content to get the most views. Psychonauts won’t get more than Kena, a hyped up PlayStation exclusive.

What are you basing this “the word has spread” on? It is nowhere to be seen in the sales charts.

That logic would hold up, if they didn't do even less popular games then Psychonauts 2.

bitbydeath

Missing the launch window would put a huge damper on views. Most people want to see that pre-purchase. Afterwards, well the information is kind of already all out there so it’s no longer necessary.

It’s a clicks game and late games get less.

It seems more than just Digital Foundry was "On Vacation" when Psychonauts 2 got released.

Play Psychonauts 2 people. It's great.
I want more of these types of games in the future and hearing it's a Flop without any actual numbers is giving me an ulcer. oooof:messenger_confounded:

Get this, I hear that Keena is getting a Russian launguage option. Something that P2 isn't going to even bother with.
Why? Why isn't Microsoft Studios in every language ever made including made up ones like Klingon?

Sosokrates

Which ones? I’m not sure if there is a less popular new release game than psychonauts 2 tbh.
Well,
This channel which has under half the subs of df got 81 thousand views.

No more heros df analysis got 71k views

Theres a flight sim and RE8 tech vid which both got around 70k

Sosokrates

It seems more than just Digital Foundry was "On Vacation" when Psychonauts 2 got released.

Play Psychonauts 2 people. It's great.
I want more of these types of games in the future and hearing it's a Flop without any actual numbers is giving me an ulcer. oooof:messenger_confounded:

Get this, I hear that Keena is getting a Russian launguage option. Something that P2 isn't going to even bother with.
Why? Why isn't Microsoft Studios in every language ever made including made up ones like Klingon?

Theres no way to know its success but
Gamepass changes the game.
Considering its great reviews and advertising on the xbox dashboard I would bet a significant number of gamepass subscribers have played psychonauts 2 and enjoyed it.

People saying its a flop are just ignorant warriors.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Probably because there is no native PS5 version to compare to.

PS5 gets the PS4 Pro version at 1440p 60fps

Series S gets 1680p at 60fps or 1080p at 120fps

Series X gets 4k at 60fps or 1440p at 120fps

Game is great and relies on great level design and gameplay so whatever you play on it's worth playing.

That actually sounds like a video worth making, though. Nothing wrong with them saying "oh look at that, the PS5 doesn't even get Series X gets". Maybe it's intentional since DF is now owned by Microsoft but who knows?

supernova8

Banned
It's just not a technologically advanced game that's worth talking about, from a tech perspective.

Initially I thought the same but:

Here are two other videos of clearly not technologically advanced games they did:

Cruis'n Blast on Switch: A Riot of Superb 1080p60 Arcade Mayhem! (posted a week ago) - clearly not advanced
Little Nightmares 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Enhanced Edition - 60FPS! Ray Tracing! Enhanced Features! (3 weeks ago) - has some enhanced features but obviously not pushing the limits at all. Surely 120fps is a "next-gen feature" and therefore Psychonauts 2 logically deserves a video too.

Hell, even Deathloop doesn't look like it's really pushing any technical boundaries (despite the apparent performance issues), and that got a video.

Obviously they made a judgement call that there wasn't sufficient demand for a video on Psychonauts 2 but we'll never know why.

iHaunter

Initially I thought the same but:

Here are two other videos of clearly not technologically advanced games they did:

Cruis'n Blast on Switch: A Riot of Superb 1080p60 Arcade Mayhem! (posted a week ago) - clearly not advanced
Little Nightmares 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Enhanced Edition - 60FPS! Ray Tracing! Enhanced Features! (3 weeks ago) - has some enhanced features but obviously not pushing the limits at all. Surely 120fps is a "next-gen feature" and therefore Psychonauts 2 logically deserves a video too.

Hell, even Deathloop doesn't look like it's really pushing any technical boundaries (despite the apparent performance issues), and that got a video.

Obviously they made a judgement call that there wasn't sufficient demand for a video on Psychonauts 2 but we'll never know why.
I suppose that's true, just a thought. Maybe it just didn't fit into their schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom