• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has a Mass Effect clone with the 40k Inquisition never been made?

It's too obvious, for the Emperor's sake you even have biotics than can be easily converted to psyker powers. Go with Puritan/Radical as the Paragon/Renegade mechanic. I just read the Eisenhorn series not too long ago, and have a serious lore boner over His Most Holy Inquisition right now.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I love the 40k lore. This would be awesome. The problem is that it would possibly conflict with how they roll out lore

Rikkori

It's a lack of talent. The studios who could make it are busy with other projects, and the rest are too small to do it. Plus the value-add of the IP isn't clear compared to just doing it themselves. Not sure what the terms set by Workshop would be.

Belmonte

My 40K knowledge is not as deep as yours guys, so correct me if I'm wrong but judging by what I know, an authentic 40k RPG, where you can interact with a story, like Mass Effect, would be very gruesome and controversial.

There are many fucked up things which could be ignored in a loot based RPG, tactics or action game but a narrative heavy RPG would need to deal with them one way or another.

Perhaps it is easier to get a 40K traditional CRPG, like Baldur's Gate or Divinity Original Sin since the format is cheaper to make and many 40k fans are also CRPG fans.

Kimahri

Banned
Because Games Workshop prefers licensing to small budget mediocre games. There are the odd anomaly, but generally they steer clear of the big budget goodness that could bring in the big money.

Also, where is my Warhammer Fantasy RPG? I just wanna chop up some orcs and night goblins. Is that too much to ask?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
My 40K knowledge is not as deep as yours guys, so correct me if I'm wrong but judging by what I know, an authentic 40k RPG, where you can interact with a story, like Mass Effect, would be very gruesome and controversial.

There are many fucked up things which could be ignored in a loot based RPG, tactics or action game but a narrative heavy RPG would need to deal with them one way or another.

Perhaps it is easier to get a 40K traditional CRPG, like Baldur's Gate or Divinity Original Sin since the format is cheaper to make and many 40k fans are also CRPG fans.

Rather than playing an inquisitor a Rogue Trader would be a better fit, because they are "traditionally" more open, they essentially have a free pass to do as they like.

Some for example have an Ork Crewman as it'd seen as quite a feat to have one listed as crew and a sign of power. While inquisitors are quite religiously zealot, rouge traders can be a little more laid back in that regard, as long as it gets the job done and turns a profit, you might have to keep it in check if you have some space marines on board of course but they are the most likely to have Xenos Crew and be able to make traditionally none imperial style decisions when a choice pops up without being immediately executed. It also helps that they have inherited a ship and there job is to explore under the banner of the imperium.... its like this role was made for a Mass Effect style title to be made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom