• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why GOG Suddenly Fixed a 13-Year-Old 'Far Cry' Glitch

Bullet Club

Why GOG Suddenly Fixed a 13-Year-Old 'Far Cry' Glitch

A modder helped GOG fix the bug Ubisoft introduced in 2006.

71yOQgjHu0L.jpg

This week, digital storefront GOG.com pushed out an update for the classic 2004 first-person shooter Far Cry. The update—the first in over two years for the 15-year-old game—was as small as it was random: "added a small fix to prevent AI bots from shooting through tents." This bug has been a long-standing annoyance for players, who have been complaining about it on various forums for the last 13 years. But why now? It started with a fan-made mod to fix the bug and a support ticket.

"[Ubisoft] changed a canvas material definition file and accidentally broke this," community modder FarOutWidescreen told VICE over email. According to FarOutWidescreen, Ubisoft was trying to allow players to shoot through tents in multiplayer. Instead of changing the tent material to just be permeable to bullets, the change gave enemy AI the ability to see through tents as well. This patch was one of the last pieces of support for the game after over two years, and it was never officially fixed.

FarOutWidescreen, who describes himself as a "self-taught programmer," figured out a fix for the problem and published it as a mod earlier this year. Then, he decided to contact GOG. "I opened a support ticket noting that the game ships in a broken state and carefully explained the issue, and how trivial the fix was, and it escalated from there."

GOG's programmers made the change themselves after FarOutWidescreen described the bug and how to fix it. For GOG, making a change to game files owned by another publisher isn't as unusual as it first appears. "We're pretty experienced in updating classic games and making them compatible with modern systems," Marcin Traczyk, global communications manager at GOG, said. "This idea of games preservation has been one of the main pillars of the GOG.com identity for over 10 years now."

In addition to being an unusually random update to an old game, this change could also be seen as a bit misguided—at least as an act of preservation in the historical or curatorial sense. For 13 of the last 15 years, Ubisoft has proudly maintained and sold version 1.4 as the canonical version of Far Cry, a game where the AI can see and shoot at players through opaque walls. GOG is altering an old, established piece of software to make it different from the version that most people experienced.

Then again, this new GOG-improved version is closer to the original 1.0 version that launched in 2004. Plus, it just isn't much fun to get shot in a video game by broken, all-seeing AI.

Whatever its philosophical motivations, GOG handles changes like this on a case-by-case basis, and some publishers are more hands-on than others. Ubisoft, apparently, trusts GOG to handle things. "We've already added several tweaks to various Ubisoft games," Traczyk said, "and we really appreciate their open approach in this matter." Players who own the classic Far Cry through GOG will already have the fix included with the game. Everyone else will have to download and install the mod separately.

Source: Vice

Screenshot courtesy of Shotpun Shotpun

glWa7gB.jpg

Last edited:

Zambatoh

Problem is Crytek didn't give a damn. They were too busy working on Crysis to correct their own mistake.

Shotpun

I got the GOG version of Far Cry years ago, but when I learned about this bug I just set it to hidden and intended to find a retail copy at some point and just not update it to the latest 1.4 version. Never got around to that and thanks to this modder I could unhide the game at GOG and use that in the future, though I still kinda want to hunt down the big box version of this game. At some point.

Also the settings are really low on that screenshot, FC1 isn't that ugly:
71yOQgjHu0L.jpg

Tesseract

Banned
does anyone remember far cry instincts? that shit was dope af, xbox live, great net code and mechanics, primal abilities like leap and shit, map editor, fantastic shader support

was sorta better than the original tbh

M0G

does anyone remember far cry instincts? that shit was dope af, xbox live, great net code and mechanics, primal abilities like leap and shit, map editor, fantastic shader support

Hah! Yeah because I played that first and then when I got the original later on I thought errr... I get all the instict stuff later on right?

MetalSlug

I think I remember having something like that near the Xbox 360 launch.

stranno

They fixed the classic Pandemic's The Saboteur 1080P map glitch a few years ago too. It was almost unplayable in FullHD in PC since it was released, map+waypoints were totally messed up.

But its rare, their repacks are usually pretty straight and lazy. Hercules, for example, they just packed a DDraw wrapper with a grey-lines glitch and no updates so far, while it works perfectly fine with dgVoodoo's DDraw wrapper.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Huh... that's actually pretty cool.

Far Cry 1 is still a great game. I really wish the sequels retained the same focused level design, but alas.

Top Bottom