• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why gamers complain about their games being taken away |OT| Censorship Controversy Central

What does this mean? The problem is far more rooted than just mere censored contents. The Gal Gun Returns for example, would only not be released on Playstation due to their strict policy and hand-waving the already approved CERO ratings. The usual precedent would always be censored trailer = censored release, with only couple of exceptions.

See this for the Gal Gun news.
This is a fairly simple statement: games released in Japan as of--or after--January 2019 have not seen content altered in the West, due to Sony's policy.

I've seen the Gal Gun news. I've posted in the related thread on NeoGaf. As previously mentioned, the game's trailers do not feature the fog in Japan and Europe. Since Sony implemented it's content policy, games released in Japan after January 2019 have not seen content censorship in Western regions. At present, this doesn't mean the U.S. release won't be censored, but existing precedent suggest this is merely a censored trailer and not a censored game.

MagnesG

Banned
This is a fairly simple statement: games released in Japan as of--or after--January 2019 have not seen content altered in the West, due to Sony's policy.

I've seen the Gal Gun news. I've posted in the related thread on NeoGaf. As previously mentioned, the game's trailers do not feature the fog in Japan and Europe. Since Sony implemented it's content policy, games released in Japan after January 2019 have not seen content censorship in Western regions. At present, this doesn't mean the U.S. release won't be censored, but existing precedent suggest this is merely a censored trailer and not a censored game.
Lol, because those games wouldn't simply be released at all. Why would they when the censored one would sold so much worse? The new tactics of Sony is to simply gatekeep anything suspicious, surpassing the ratings even when those devs had been painstakingly tried to adhere to the "policy". It's a pass though if it's Tlou2 or Life is Strange underage scenes.

But if you simply want to preach that worthless statement as true, then I'm a believer.

Also you still didn't give me receipts for censored trailer, uncensored releases.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member

I have a strong feeling Sony is telling devs to censor all versions of their games so that the Playstation versions don't look like it's the only one.

Lol, because those games wouldn't simply be released at all. Why would they when the censored one would sold so much worse? The new tactics of Sony is to simply gatekeep anything suspicious, surpassing the ratings even when those devs had been painstakingly tried to adhere to the "policy". It's a pass though if it's Tlou2 or Life is Strange underage scenes.

But if you simply want to preach that worthless statement as true, then I'm a believer.

Also you still didn't give me receipts for censored trailer, uncensored releases.
We'll see what happens when the game releases in all territories.

I have a strong feeling Sony is telling devs to censor all versions of their games so that the Playstation versions don't look like it's the only one.
I wouldn't dispute the notion Sony has given developers some idea of what they consider inappropriate. But again, it's only the game's U.S. trailer that has censorsship. Until we have further evidence, this is currently a censored trailer in one region and not a censored game.

There are two games I can think of that came out uncensored in Japan and where modified for the western regions after January 2019.

One Piece World Seeker had it's hot springs mission removed in the US PS4 release and the Yugioh game that came out earlier this year in the west with hundreds of censored/toned down cards for our release, while the japanese version from last year is uncensored.

past receipts.

Remember highly unlikely?
Again, we'll see what happens upon release.

There are two games I can think of that came out uncensored in Japan and where modified for the western regions after January 2019.

One Piece World Seeker had it's hot springs mission removed in the US PS4 release and the Yugioh game that came out earlier this year in the west with hundreds of censored/toned down cards for our release, while the japanese version from last year is uncensored.
I'm not aware of the Yu-Gi-Oh game, but Konami has been altering cards both physically and digitally for far longer than Sony's PS4 policy. As for One Piece, the Bath Springs DLC was a pre-order incentive in Japan and tied to a Bandai Namco membership club incentive in Europe (a club which didn't exist in the U.S.). Sony may have had a hand in not allowing the content in North America, but it's not material stripped or altered from the base game.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
5LufErf.jpg

Saw this posted somewhere. Check the bottom left image. Going out of the way to hide an inch worth of curves...
:messenger_weary:

Last edited:
What does cuties have to do with it? That was a movie done by a based European artist.

PlayStation is in California now not Paris or Amsterdam. And definitely not Tokyo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What does cuties have to do with it? That was a movie done by a based European artist.

PlayStation is in California now not Paris or Amsterdam. And definitely not Tokyo.

Yes, but cuties is allowed on a western, Cali-based company uncensored. It is legitimately a pro-pedo film. Meanwhile Sony, another Cali-based company, censors any and all content they deem “problematic” unless it is from a Euro or US based studio. Even if the content isn’t problematic in the slightest.

To better explain the context, whenever Sony is criticized for their censorship policy, one of the go-to responses from defenders is "So you like seeing children sexualized? Ew, you pedophile!". They immediately associate anime drawings with children and if you criticize Sony for censoring anime tiddies, then you are a pedophile.

Cuties is a movie where 10-11 year old actresses wear scantily clad clothing, engage in very sexualized dancing. Their respective characters even go as far as to seduce adults in the film. Actual minors are sexualized and don't forget the fact that potentially dozens more minors auditioned for this movie.

Basically, summarize all of this:
  1. Anime characters are drawn. They are not real and additionally, they are voiced by adults.
  2. The actresses in Cuties are real people and are minors. They were heavily sexualized via wearing very revealing clothing and twerking.

UnNamed

Banned
What is really strange is Playstation Vita was full of lewd games, and lot of them are coming to Switch.
I don't know why US decisions affect Japan games, it has no sense GalGun is not coming on PS4 in Japan.

Doczu

The comments - most don't believe them.

I'd really want to know what these companies are really thinking about the shitty Sony policies regarding censorship.
These are mostly niche games for a small market in the west and the players look like they are not forgeting or forgiving every instance of editing/cutting out content.

Is there any raw data showing impact on sales?

I'd really want to know what these companies are really thinking about the shitty Sony policies regarding censorship.
These are mostly niche games for a small market in the west and the players look like they are not forgeting or forgiving every instance of editing/cutting out content.

Is there any raw data showing impact on sales?
The Switch version of Omega Labyrinth Life sold several-fold more than the PS4 version.

The Switch remaster for Tokyo Mirage Sessions didn't sell that well either. I don't remember if it ended up selling less than the Wii U version, but attachrate-wise, it was very bad.

PS4 version canceled in the west. Wonder why.
The PS4 (and by extension, the PS5) has progressively become a less and less attractive platform for Japanese games.

So why is it not coming? It doesn't look like a typical sex weeb game. I know nothing about it which is why I ask.
For some added context: Uppers is from the same creator as the Senran Kagura series, and--similar to some of his other games--it has a touch mode, where you can play around with the game's female characters. While there's some other content that may cross the line with current Sony, going by how the last Senran Kagura game was handled when released in the West on PS4, the touch feature almost certainly would have needed to be removed.

Xseed's announcement of the touch feature being stripped from the last Senran Kagura game wasn't received well by consumers; and as previous posters have mentioned, the company probably decided it wasn't worth the time and money to continue with the PS4 release. Possibly worth noting: Uppers is originally a PSVita game from 2016; there's also no existing PS4 version, even in Japan, and we can probably assume all port work has been canceled for Sony's consoles.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Disgaea6-Website-Illustrations-3.jpg
Disgaea6-Website-Illustrations-4.jpg

Disgaea6-Trailers-Censorship-5.jpg
Disgaea6-Trailers-Censorship-6.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Switch version of Omega Labyrinth Life sold several-fold more than the PS4 version.

The Switch remaster for Tokyo Mirage Sessions didn't sell that well either. I don't remember if it ended up selling less than the Wii U version, but attachrate-wise, it was very bad.
Good.

Yeah this is coming from the same people that censored Fairy Tale after they said they wouldn't. So nobody can believe them.
Lila is in the game and she hasn't been toned down though. Maybe they have more say on the matter when it is their IPs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaelka

Well, not gonna buy Ryza on PS4 then. That sucks.

Lol, ofc it's Merica censoring it....

Meanwhile they're totally fine with freaking MK11 with far more lewd costumes AND the most extreme gore in the whole industry on top of it all too.

Last edited:
Sony is once again letting CDPR getting away with a lot of things in their latest title, things they certainly wouldn't approve in a non blockbuster title.
Sony's double standards and hypocrisy are just stupefying.

Ulysses 31

Lol, ofc it's Merica censoring it....

Meanwhile they're totally fine with freaking MK11 with far more lewd costumes AND the most extreme gore in the whole industry on top of it all too.
They added lewd costumes in MK11 now? 👀

I thought the devs were all about respecting women? :lollipop_grinning:

Vaelka

They added lewd costumes in MK11 now? 👀

I thought the devs were all about respecting women? :lollipop_grinning:

I agree with some people that certain costumes were really weird, like Skarlet for example her default isn't even what she wears in the story and literally makes no sense for her character and powers.
It almost comes across as bait, as if they knew that people would get mad or something.
And it's true that they did virtue signal about this before release.

With that said, people also overexaggerate, I mean people say that Skarlet looks like a man ( mainly because she had short hair? ) it's just ridiculous.
And they've added a lot of lewd costumes post launch including Classic costumes.
Sindel as a character is also quite lewd, one of her most recent ones has a pretty deep v-neck and she has quite big boobs and it's a leotard with fishnet stockings and everything.
Jade got a sexy witch costume too for Halloween, Mileena got thigh cutouts on her default and cleavage etc you get the idea.

It's a bit weird tho how this Skarlet costume for example is only in the mobile game and not the main game:
uflzkx7g9w341.jpg

It makes way more sense for her character, she literally gets power from blood including her own blood.
But for some reason her default was almost like a Burqa lol.

But yeah, they definitely got way better with this post launch with the female characters.
To the point that I even almost get a bit uncomfortable with it because of the gore and how much more realistic the game looks now.
When Robocop chokes characters in one of his moves it zooms in on their faces and they look like they're make an Ahego face, I dunno but I think it's a bit questionable it does come across as a bit fetishy in a gorey way to me at times with some of the costumes and camera angles.
And I am someone who likes lewd costumes.

Not saying that they shouldn't have revealing costumes, I mean the dudes have them too.
Just that for me personally it can feel a bit questionable at times, but I prefer lewd content over gore so to me it's not the costumes that is the real problem there.

Pantz

Gold Member
I agree with some people that certain costumes were really weird, like Skarlet for example her default isn't even what she wears in the story and literally makes no sense for her character and powers.
It almost comes across as bait, as if they knew that people would get mad or something.
And it's true that they did virtue signal about this before release.

With that said, people also overexaggerate, I mean people say that Skarlet looks like a man ( mainly because she had short hair? ) it's just ridiculous.
And they've added a lot of lewd costumes post launch including Classic costumes.
Sindel as a character is also quite lewd, one of her most recent ones has a pretty deep v-neck and she has quite big boobs and it's a leotard with fishnet stockings and everything.
Jade got a sexy witch costume too for Halloween, Mileena got thigh cutouts on her default and cleavage etc you get the idea.

It's a bit weird tho how this Skarlet costume for example is only in the mobile game and not the main game:
uflzkx7g9w341.jpg

It makes way more sense for her character, she literally gets power from blood including her own blood.
But for some reason her default was almost like a Burqa lol.

But yeah, they definitely got way better with this post launch with the female characters.
To the point that I even almost get a bit uncomfortable with it because of the gore and how much more realistic the game looks now.
When Robocop chokes characters in one of his moves it zooms in on their faces and they look like they're make an Ahego face, I dunno but I think it's a bit questionable it does come across as a bit fetishy in a gorey way to me at times with some of the costumes and camera angles.
And I am someone who likes lewd costumes.

Not saying that they shouldn't have revealing costumes, I mean the dudes have them too.
Just that for me personally it can feel a bit questionable at times, but I prefer lewd content over gore so to me it's not the costumes that is the real problem there.
YxhCJAR.jpg

Vaelka

Don't believe what exactly?

EgU2jKUXYAESbLf.jpg:large

430d933d2924f46cbc28c5c602ba2e39.jpg

I mean are you asking for the bikini skins from MK9?
Just because those aren't in the game doesn't mean that there aren't lewd costumes.

I mean do you think that these are Resetera approved?
For a Western game studio, especially AAA this is VERY sexualized ( again tho, male characters are sexualized too ).

Zambatoh

Right so apparently the Sam and Max (Season 1) remaster has been censored to be more politically correct. Bosco's actor has been replaced with a new actor and so on.
And of course, they had the gall to advertise the game without alterations to the jokes initially until just about everyone started calling them on it. It's disgusting.

Right so apparently the Sam and Max (Season 1) remaster has been censored to be more politically correct. Bosco's actor has been replaced with a new actor and so on.
And of course, they had the gall to advertise the game without alterations to the jokes initially until just about everyone started calling them on it. It's disgusting.

Sigh... What's next, a "politically correct" remake of Leisure Suit Lar... oh wait.

Pantz

Gold Member
Currently there is a bug in Cyberpunk 2077 that can remove your characters underwear in first person view and in mirrors and photo mode. You can kind of force it to happen by swapping a couple pairs of pants real quick then removing them and checking if it also removed your underwear (it may take a few attempts). Some were wondering if it was a bug that the underwear was showing up since they chose to allow genitals. Not the case though, CDPR confirmed that nudity on your character outside of the inventory screen is not supposed to happen.

Hey everyone!

I see this thread has grown quite a lot, so I'm here to dispel any doubts - lack of nudity (outside of the inventory) is not a bug, this works as intended. If you undress V, they will always have underwear in FPP and photo mode and any other cases outside of the inventory menu.

No need to submit it as a bug to our support :)

Best,
Alicja

So if you're on console, use it in photo mode while you can because it sounds like they will be covering up your characters in a future patch. On PC I'm sure this won't be much of an issue.

Not technically censorship, I guess?

Top Bottom