• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why gamers complain about their games being taken away |OT| Censorship Controversy Central

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Catherine: Full Body will be released in just a few days but it seems that our despotic cousins at Retardera are already fuming over the game's content, even though the game was supposedly ''revised'' to pacify all the purple haired mandrakes.

Has there been any more info on what has changed? Or is it safe to buy without fear of major censorship BS? (IE - did they just give those ResentEra Rejects lip service, or did they actually make sweeping changes?)

Catherine: Full Body will be released in just a few days but it seems that our despotic cousins at Retardera are already fuming over the game's content, even though the game was supposedly ''revised'' to pacify all the purple haired mandrakes.
Just comes to show that it is impossible to satisfy the alphabet mob and thus, developers should not even bother. I wonder how much did Atlus change from the vanilla game to Full Body though...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just comes to show that it is impossible to satisfy the alphabet mob and thus, developers should not even bother. I wonder how much did Atlus change from the vanilla game to Full Body though...

I would love to know. I cancelled my preorder as soon as they announced censorship. Curious to know how badly it was censored (or if it was empty lipservice).

I would love to know. I cancelled my preorder as soon as they announced censorship. Curious to know how badly it was censored (or if it was empty lipservice).
I'm also curious that if censorship is present in Full Body, who was the deciding factor. Did Atlus take it upon themselves or did Sony mandate them to censor since it's a PS4 exclusive?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm also curious that if censorship is present in Full Body, who was the deciding factor. Did Atlus take it upon themselves or did Sony mandate them to censor since it's a PS4 exclusive?

I would be surprised if it was Atlus as they have been on record saying they are very much against censorship of their games. Sony has a history of forcing/mandating censorship to appease these mentally ill reprobates.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
I would be surprised if it was Atlus as they have been on record saying they are very much against censorship of their games. Sony has a history of forcing/mandating censorship to appease these mentally ill reprobates.
All the more reason to convince Atlus to port Full Body (and Persona 5R) to PC and/or Switch. People look down on portbegging, but I believe in this case, it is necessary.

Shantae

Banned
I thought I had heard/read somewhere that Catherine Full Body in the US is basically removing an ending. The so called "happy" ending, where everyone is happy, in it
Erica is no longer female in it, implying that not chopping his dick off is what made really leads to a happy life for them.
This pissed off retardera sooo much, and I heard that they were just flat out removing that ending in the western release. If that is true, I am 100% not buying it, even though I wish I could have, I'm not supporting that kind of bull shit.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I thought I had heard/read somewhere that Catherine Full Body in the US is basically removing an ending. The so called "happy" ending, where everyone is happy, in it
Erica is no longer female in it, implying that not chopping his dick off is what made really leads to a happy life for them.
This pissed off retardera sooo much, and I heard that they were just flat out removing that ending in the western release. If that is true, I am 100% not buying it, even though I wish I could have, I'm not supporting that kind of bull shit.

If that is true, I will not buy this version and stick with the original. Either that or import the JPN release and wait to play it until I pass my JPL exams.

All the more reason to convince Atlus to port Full Body (and Persona 5R) to PC and/or Switch. People look down on portbegging, but I believe in this case, it is necessary.

I would also just be fine with a fan mod that allows the english translation over the JPN release with a few edits back to how it should be.

Self censorship is censorship, I am making a video about the history of video game censorship. Nintendo’s self censorship prevented them from even bothering to port some games to America. Like today there were small dedicated groups of people that fought hard to get things censored despite basically only these small groups caring, Things such as homosexuality, religious imagery, sex and violence have been censored thanks to these dedicated groups of people. I want to use these examples to show that giving into puritans only hurts sales, not helps.

Last edited:
Regarding Catherine: Full Body and censorship, one of the crowd from that other forum, who apparently rustled ATLUS USA's jimmies with their initial write-up of the JP release, also penned a follow-up, after playing a review copy of the English version.

Keeping in mind this person was already telling people not to import the Japanese release, due to the poor handling of LGBT issues, here's their take on the English localization:
Onto how the localization team massaged the rest of the game’s script, they changed one optional side conversation with Erica and now no longer credit her in the credits as “Eric.” That’s most of what they changed. That cringe-worthy exchange in the True Katherine ending from the original game where Toby complains about sleeping with her, deadnames her, and outs her as a punchline? Yup, that’s still in there untouched. The new ending where Catherine goes back in time and lets her and Vincent meet under different circumstances that has Erica untransitioned? Yup, that’s still in there, with people saying her deadname (only name at the time, in fairness,) multiple times, while the voice actress for the character tries to do a more masculine voice. It’s honestly just upsetting to see in a game at all, let alone an English language $60 PS4 game from a sizable publisher in 2019.

As it stands, I'll still be waiting for some more trustworthy comparisons to decide, whether the game merely received understandable tweaks for comprehension purposes or outright changes to the dialogue and story.

Last edited:

Aranea

This interview was posted a couple of days ago but i believe most people are not aware of it. The interviewed person is Aaron Greenberg (Xbox marketing). Here's some of the interview:

Giuseppe: Lately there has been a rather heated discussion on censorship around Sony and Nintendo.

Sony has begun applying specific standards asking many developers (especially Japanese) to further censor their games regardless of whether they obtained a valid rating from boards like the ESRB or PEGI.

On the other hand, Nintendo has taken an entirely different stance, opting not to require any censorship as long as developers can obtain a valid rating from ESRB, PEGI, etcetera. Nintendo’s president went on record stating that acting otherwise would “hinder game software diversity and fairness.”

The one factor we’re missing in the equation is what we can expect from Xbox going forward. Could you please comment on that?

Aaron Greenberg:
I’m not familiar with this specific issue. So Sony changed their policies?

Giuseppe: They certainly appear to have. They used to be the first-party that almost never required additional censorship before.

Aaron Greenberg: While I’m not familiar with what they’re doing and I cannot speak in their behalf, we have not changed our policies.

We have store policies, we follow the ESRB and the other rating boards. We have been consistent in how we do that, and we haven’t changed what we’re doing.

Giuseppe: So is it a position closer to Nintendo’s, where a game that can get a rating doesn’t require further censorship?

Aaron Greenberg:
I think what you’ll find across everyone in the industry, there is ratings and then people also do concept reviews and they have policies on the type of content that they’ll allow on their store.

Generally, that does map to what the rating boards are. What I can say is that we haven’t changed the way we do that and we haven’t put any type of new or unique restriction on content providers.

Three

This interview was posted a couple of days ago but i believe most people are not aware of it. The interviewed person is Aaron Greenberg (Xbox marketing). Here's some of the interview:

Giuseppe: Lately there has been a rather heated discussion on censorship around Sony and Nintendo.

Sony has begun applying specific standards asking many developers (especially Japanese) to further censor their games regardless of whether they obtained a valid rating from boards like the ESRB or PEGI.

On the other hand, Nintendo has taken an entirely different stance, opting not to require any censorship as long as developers can obtain a valid rating from ESRB, PEGI, etcetera. Nintendo’s president went on record stating that acting otherwise would “hinder game software diversity and fairness.”

The one factor we’re missing in the equation is what we can expect from Xbox going forward. Could you please comment on that?

Aaron Greenberg:

Giuseppe: They certainly appear to have. They used to be the first-party that almost never required additional censorship before.

Aaron Greenberg: While I’m not familiar with what they’re doing and I cannot speak in their behalf, we have not changed our policies.

We have store policies, we follow the ESRB and the other rating boards. We have been consistent in how we do that, and we haven’t changed what we’re doing.

Giuseppe: So is it a position closer to Nintendo’s, where a game that can get a rating doesn’t require further censorship?

Aaron Greenberg:
I think what you’ll find across everyone in the industry, there is ratings and then people also do concept reviews and they have policies on the type of content that they’ll allow on their store.

Generally, that does map to what the rating boards are. What I can say is that we haven’t changed the way we do that and we haven’t put any type of new or unique restriction on content providers.

In other words they are the same.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Aaron Greenberg:

Aaron Greenberg:

This feels more like lip service to appease the vocal minority that gets pissy with these things. Until I start censorship across their titles, I won't begin to worry.

Michele

you.
Speaking of Catherine I think there's a tweet in which the retardera are pissed off that nothing so far has been censored in the game (If there are any to begin with). I think some western VA said the game would be censored but it seems like she's not believed. Well I guess we'll see if it's censored.

Isa

Well I'm a little relieved that Catherine Full Body is not as altered as first feared. I cancelled my initial pre-order after the Reee happened but eventually re-bought it as my gf wants the collector's edition stuff. I'm also very interested in the new character and stuff. I miss our more frequent members who made the OT and posted news. Hope they are doing well.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...anges-still-werent-enough-for-resetera/92293/

From what it sounds like from OAG's article, the modifications made to Full Body are very minimal with the biggest change being some changed side dialogue. And not surprisingly, ResetEra got all pissy about how Catherine: Full Body is still 'transphobic'.

As much as I oppose Sony's censorship and that this game is PS4 exclusive, I hope it sells well so we get another similar Ion Fury moment.

Pantz

Aaron Greenberg:

Aaron Greenberg:

Hard to say since Xbox hasn't gotten too many of these games that are getting censored.

FMXVII

That they chose to kowtow to cancerous cries for censorship, is cowardice beyond my ken, and thus beyond my pocketbook.

Shame, that.

Uh huh.
j8k1o1j_d.webp
Gonna be completely real here. If this crap keeps real pedos from fulfilling their desires on real children then Im all for it. Either way I would never pay for these games.

People are starting to report-in about the supposed changed line of dialogue in Catherine, suggesting during a chat with the Erica character "I'd believe that if it were coming from a girl" was altered to simply "Oh, come on."

I can appreciate some have strong feelings when it comes to issues surrounding trans individuals, but I disagree with a company trying to hide a product's original content in an attempt to avoid potentially hurting peoples' feelings. While what's seeming like the changes to the US release of Catherine are far from significant, I just don't feel good about spending money on this game and will instead put it out of mind, while crossing my fingers the Western market won't have to worry about any similar issues surrounding the Persona 5 revision.

kunonabi

People are starting to report-in about the supposed changed line of dialogue in Catherine, suggesting during a chat with the Erica character "I'd believe that if it were coming from a girl" was altered to simply "Oh, come on."

I can appreciate some have strong feelings when it comes to issues surrounding trans individuals, but I disagree with a company trying to hide a product's original content in an attempt to avoid potentially hurting peoples' feelings. While what's seeming like the changes to the US release of Catherine are far from significant, I just don't feel good about spending money on this game and will instead put it out of mind, while crossing my fingers the Western market won't have to worry about any similar issues surrounding the Persona 5 revision.

The changes arent super drastic but they would have been enough to turn me off it if Rin hadnt already been enough of a deterrent. I don't want to write off Atlus but I may have to if their localization team keeps this up.

GV82

Slowly we will take everything We loved back.

Remember when we had cool pop culture media and no matter what background /race/sexuality etc you came from if it was cool you’d enjoy it? And if you didn’t like something it was no big deal either, you had plenty of other stuff to like.

Suddenly somewhere a bunch of offended crazies started interfering and trying to force change to everything pop culture and then told the people it belonged to that it no longer belonged to them and that they were taking over it.

Doesn’t that sound a little too familiar to something?

Instead of trying to coxexist with us like they used to, what they could have been doing is creating their own separate media and if it was cool we could choose to also like it or ignore it and Vice Versa what we create if they didn’t like it just ignore it or if they liked it like we did then that’s cool and even collaborated with us but no they want total control.

But they can’t see that, they are blind in their cult like existence.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That person is blatantly transphobic, but I don't see why the GF has to suffer or her game. Separate art from the artist.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hahaha. I had to verify the math as it looked odd. He is right at 41.5%, although his $3.54 is wrong. It's $4.54 after the 35% off.

But when added together and further reduced another 10%, it is correct.

But leave it to SJW retards to go nuts.

(Funny edit: in the Reeee thread, someone posted a pic that says the bundle -42% because rounding makes someone using British pounds round to -42% discount than the US currency -41%)

Last edited:
That is how censorship works, so we only can complain about it. And it differs in different countries. Like recent CS:GO situation in France

Saruhashi

Banned
5s3nrCC.png

Imagine being this retarded

It's a pet peeve of mine that "video games" is just seen as some kind of monolith.
So if women are "buying video games" the entire video game industry needs to change to accommodate?

No concept of "genre". No consideration of "target audience". Nothing like that.
Just "women are buying video games" so ALL games need to keep that in mind.

It's like back in the day women were buying magazines and VHS and NOBODY was. saying "better get rid of porn lads women are buying magazines and videos".

The ONLY reason this is an issue in video games is because the industry is fucking infested with activists who go out of their way to hinder anything that doesn't align with their views.

No reason why there can't be games that just don't appeal so much to women and other games that do.

Though I suppose if there was a video game equivalent "chick flick" genre then the usual suspects would be moaning about that too.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's a pet peeve of mine that "video games" is just seen as some kind of monolith.
So if women are "buying video games" the entire video game industry needs to change to accommodate?

No concept of "genre". No consideration of "target audience". Nothing like that.

It's like back in the day women were buying magazines and VHS and NOBODY was. saying "better get rid of porn lads women are buying magazines and videos".

The ONLY reason this is an issue in video games is because the industry is fucking infested with activists who go out of their way to hinder anything that doesn't align with their views.

No reason why there can't be games that just don't appeal so much to women and other games that do.

Though I suppose if there was a video game equivalent "chick flick" genre then the usual suspects would be moaning about that too.
Sorry lad but you are using "the internet" to express some really awful opinions that sound exclusionary to women, who also use "the internet".

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

6ea.gif

It is literally this

5s3nrCC.png

Woof.

Imagine Barbie being changed into an Ugly Fat Doll because "more transgender men are buying Barbie dolls"?

Let's see how long the Barbie Doll fans would last before they start getting angry that the Thinnish, Blonde Haired, White Skinned Barbie is no longer available to buy.

brap

Banned
5s3nrCC.png

These people are gonna make me have a fucking aneurysm. Normally these retards are all like 'omg le sexuality is fluid. women can like other women I love lgbtiruwoefhbneieugbbh+ people'. Then as soon as a cute girl in video games is shown its all NOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE MALE GAZE THIS IS ALL FOR HORNY INCELS. REAL WOMEN GET OFFENDED BY THIS.

What really upsets about this is people usually assume if you like sexy designs in your games that means you want jack off to it. So are they telling me people can't enjoy beautiful actress in movies without want to jack off to it?

Imagine Cleopatra being banned because Elizabeth Taylor is covered in Milk during her bathing scene. :p

3 Hours of Men jacking off according to these weirdos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom