• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more publishers use the loophole to allow their online games to be played without Plus and Gold

KAL2006

Banned
With Plus allowing F2P games to be played for free without a Plus sub and Gold adding this sometime in the future. Why don't publishers just make a cut down version of their online games to be F2P. And add the rest of the game as DLC.

For example
Street Fighter. Would be free. But you can only select random icon as your fighter and there is no arcade, story, or training mode. To have access to character select and all the modes you purchase DLC which costs the price of if the game would have released as a standard priced game.

This way most people who are interested in playing the game online would just download the game for free and purchase the DLC. Then they would never need to pay for Plus.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've wondered about the idea of a modular approach to fighting games, with demos/trials for characters but a free base game. I think the idea is a risky concept, and companies just aren't willing to do that when they have a formula that works just fine and guarantees at bare minimum the base game is purchased.

As for the loophole, the above aside I think Sony/MS would either have a little chat or close the loophole.

cm osi

they don't care at all if you have to pay for the ps+/live or not to play their game. if they decide to make their game f2p is only because they change the kind of monetization plan they have for the game

KAL2006

Banned
Can't a publisher just release a shooter where it has no campaign and your limited to a pistol and you but DLC which basically upgrades the game into a full fledged game. The only reason to release in this fashion is to simply avoid having to pay for Plus.

Dural

I've wondered about the idea of a modular approach to fighting games, with demos/trials for characters but a free base game. I think the idea is a risky concept, and companies just aren't willing to do that when they have a formula that works just fine and guarantees at bare minimum the base game is purchased.

As for the loophole, the above aside I think Sony/MS would either have a little chat or close the loophole.

Isn't this how Killer Instinct worked?

Top Bottom