• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't digital stores let you trade in games à la Gamestop for store credit?

BigBooper

It seems like a no brainer to me to keep people spending money. Just let people revoke their game license for 10% of the original purchase price in store credit. They could have a decreasing percentage based on the age of the game.

They probably wouldn't even have to have the approval of the publishers since they aren't reselling the license or game. I'd sure like to trade in some of the sludge games I've accumulated over the years for credit.

elliot5

This was kind of the idea of the original Xbox One plans before the "muh used games" backlash and own by Sony with that handoff video.

You could sell your digital license to other users, cutting out the GameStop middleman. It's even better than your proposal because it wouldn't be a low 10% return it would be whatever your market value is

Banned
This was kind of the idea of the original Xbox One plans before the "muh used games" backlash and own by Sony with that handoff video.

You could sell your digital license to other users, cutting out the GameStop middleman. It's even better than your proposal because it wouldn't be a low 10% return it would be whatever your market value is

you could not do that. you could TRANSFER your game licence ONCE, after that the licence would be tied to whatever account you transferred it to.
also the person you transferred it to would need to be your friend for at least one month (I think it was 1 month, could have been longer)

the original Xbox One concept was a piece of absolute shit, worse than how Steam works and worse than basically any modern online store.
you couldn't even really have family sharing like Steam has it, you couldn't play offline for as long as Steam lets you in offline mode...

it was shit, PERIOD

Last edited:

elliot5

you could not do that. you could TRANSFER your game licence ONCE, after that the licence would be tied to whatever account you transferred it to.
also the person you transferred it to would need to be your friend for at least one month (I think it was 1 month, could have been longer)

the original Xbox One concept was a piece of absolute shit, worse than how Steam works and worse than basically any modern online store.
you couldn't even really have family sharing like Steam has it, you couldn't play offline for as long as Steam lets you in offline mode...

it was shit, PERIOD
Must have misremembered then I thought if a publisher allowed it (lol) you could trade in/sell your copy/license

Banned
Must have misremembered then I thought if a publisher allowed it (lol) you could trade in/sell your copy/license

no it was a very limited one time transfer for people on your friends list. I think it was a 1 month friend limit, but I could remember wrong there

TheGrat1

Because that would require the boot of your digital games to require a server side authorization and who the fuck wants that??? The way games work now it is basically the disc code without a disc. As fa as I know there is just copry protection DRM there. This would take the DRM to a
levels-whole.gif

Last edited:
green man gaming started out like that. basically the games would have a license that could be sold back to the store. You should ask them why they dropped it.

Knightime_X

Just wait for a deep sale THEN purchase.
The money you save on the sale will always be higher than any trade in value you'll ever get.
AND you get to keep your game.

Last edited:

Brofist

Not gonna happen. Works at GS cause they can flip the game for 95% of the cost of new and make a killing.

Reactions: Fbh

BigBooper

Because that would require the boot of your digital games to require a server side authorization and who the fuck wants that??? The way games work now it is basically the disc code without a disc. As fa as I know there is just copry protection DRM there. This would take the DRM to a
levels-whole.gif
Doesn't it already know all that info? When I try to play a digital game on my living room Xbox and my bedroom Xbox at the same time, it disconnects one of them.

FritzJ92

it was shit, PERIOD
Correct, but they also said that they would parter with retailers to create a way to trade your games.

Banned
Correct, but they also said that they would parter with retailers to create a way to trade your games.

your DISC games... we can do that now as well, without them partnering.
digitally bought games were never even discussed like this.

BigBooper

Never understood trading/reselling. How broke do you have to be to go through that shit?
You're probably rich like me so you don't care about the filthy boring money, but I get tired of seeing the hundreds and thousands of games in my library that I no longer have an interest in. It's more of an feng shui thing.

Majukun

because the entire point of bringing your games back is that you can resell them.
there is no difference between an used or new license, so makes no business sense.

kind of surprised this needs to be pointed out tbh

Never understood trading/reselling. How broke do you have to be to go through that shit?
you just need to be a student with no independent income.

Last edited:

BigBooper

because the entire point of bringing your games back is that you can resell them.
there is no difference between an used or new license, so makes no business sense.

kkind of surprised this needs to be pointed out tbh
The entire point of Gamestop trade ins is to get people to spend more money there. This would do the same thing.

Majukun

The entire point of Gamestop trade ins is to get people to spend more money there. This would do the same thing.
no, the entire point was making a shitload of money buying back games for pennies and reselling them at exhorbitant prices...back in the golden era of gamestop their used game sales profit outweight their new games sales by a huge margin if i remember correctly.

BigBooper

no, the entire point was making a shitload of money buying back games for pennies and reselling them at exhorbitant prices...back in the golden era of gamestop their used game sales profit outweight their new games sales by a huge margin if i remember correctly.
You being serious right now or am I being punked? I said the point was to get people to spend money there. You said the point was for them to make a shitload of money. Where do you think that money comes from?

I guess we'll just have to disagree to disagree.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's really amazing how far ahead of the game MS was with their original Xbox One plans. Like literally 10 years ahead. They were giving people almost all the benefits of physical copies - resale, retail sales and the pricing competition that comes with it, lending games, having shiny cases on your shelf - while also giving you the benefits of digital (and without the downside of digital of having to download 100gb games). It was revolutionary and I was so excited because it meant you could buy digital at retail and not be restricted to the Xbox Store digital prices.

Unfortunately we all know how that ended, and now almost 10 years later we're pushing 90% digital game sales across the board, with zero pricing competition so everyone paying full price and not being able to re-sell or loan games. It's hilarious because MS were trying to be as consumer friendly as you can possibly imagine with digital games, yet the same people that were against it are now buying all their games digitally and are worse off than they would have been.

youplayedyourself.gif

Thanks luddites.

Last edited:

BlackGauna

Because digital game licenses have no value. What are the stores going to do with those traded in games? They already have an infinite amount of game licenses.

Yes, they could use it to keep customers buying games, but they would essentially give money, and in the end the games, away for free.

It's really amazing how far ahead of the game MS was with their original Xbox One plans. Like literally 10 years ahead. They were giving people almost all the benefits of physical copies - resale, retail sales and the pricing competition that comes with it, lending games, having shiny cases on your shelf - while also giving you the benefits of digital (and without the downside of digital of having to download 100gb games). It was revolutionary and I was so excited because it meant you could buy digital at retail and not be restricted to the Xbox Store digital prices.

Unfortunately we all know how that ended, and now almost 10 years later we're pushing 90% digital game sales across the board, with zero pricing competition so everyone paying full price and not being able to re-sell or loan games. It's hilarious because MS were trying to be as consumer friendly as you can possibly imagine with digital games, yet the same people that were against it are now buying all their games digitally and are worse off than they would have been.

youplayedyourself.gif

Thanks luddites.
What kind of revisionist history is that? According to the Xbox One Wikipedia article you could do almost nothing with your games:

Microsoft initially announced a different game licensing scheme for Xbox One than what was used upon its release: all games, including those purchased at retail, would be bound to the user's Xbox Live account. Users could access their purchased games from any other Xbox One console, play games without their disc once installed, and allow users to "share" their games with up to ten designated "family" members. If a publisher allowed a game to be traded or resold, users could do this at "participating retailers", and could also transfer a game directly to any Xbox Live friend who had been on their list for at least 30 days, but only once per game. To synchronize licenses, the console would be required to connect to the internet once every 24 hours; if the console could not connect, all games would be disabled until the console was connected again.
Can be traded or resold IF a publisher allows it AND only at participating retailers?
Or you could transfer a game license to a friend, but only one time per license. So your friend can't do the same and is forever bound to that one game.

youplayedyourself.gif

Thanks luddites.

The uproar was because Don Mattrick's team tried to block the sale of physical copies of used games once a disc is used and had a 24-hour periodical check for ownership of the console, mandatory, for checking those physical games which were installed to the HDD. Not digital ones. I mean not the ones purchased digitally.

Digitally purchased or code-redeemed licenses were already tied to the account/gamertag, from the 360 days, to even now. It's the same system. The concept of selling digital licenses didn't exist on consoles before (or even now).

If it were a holy idea of Microsoft wanting to grant consumer rights, why didn't they just do it for digital and let physical be as it already was? The plan even had Microsoft and the third party publisher getting a split for physical, so after the backlash, why not just do for digital? They wouldn't. Physical sales were 90% at that time.

Don Mattrick wanted that sweet used game pie that GameStop eats everyday and cut them off altogether.

GameStop started promoting PS4 and mocking Xbox One at their local store billboards and their employees were adviced to sell only Playstations and Nintendo consoles to customers, told to even spread negativity around Xbox One. There were years where GameStop's annual gross revenue would have used game sales being half of it, in billions of dollars. It's a huge part of their business, like what lootboxes are to EA in Fifa.

Sony used this as the perfect opportunity to bring in even more bad PR by announcing that the PS4 won't have all this DRM shit for physical games and put that uses games instruction satirical video which exploded on the internet.

This, along with forced Kinect and being $100 more expensive, killed Xbox One before it even launched, or so we thought until Phil Spencer took over.

A Microsoft console, 360, that made history by splitting the installed base of the best selling console of all-time, PS2, literally in half, had it's successor in shambles, thanks to corporate greed.

The same corporate greed that let Sony to conveniently slip in paid online multiplayer, which was free till PS3 and Vita, when everyone were singing praises how Sony saved used games.

No company is our friend.

Duchess

I was excited for this patent filed by Sony, back in 2018:

In short, it would allow someone to really own their digital content, so it could be resold, transferred, etc.

Imagine being able to sell your digital game to another player once you're finished with it. Sony and the publisher could scrape a bit off the top of the sale price, as a fee.

Would work quite nicely, I think. There are digital games I've bought that I will never play again, so if I could get a bit of cash for them, that would be great.

Majukun

You being serious right now or am I being punked? I said the point was to get people to spend money there. You said the point was for them to make a shitload of money. Where do you think that money comes from?

I guess we'll just have to disagree to disagree.
for games they are publishing (i.e. microsoft games on microsoft store) they are not gaining anything because there's no effective difference between and used license and a real license, and they can print how many they want so there's no limited supply that would gain an advantage from a new license going back to the market. They might as well just sell their games for less to returning customers, the effect is the same since the consumer giving the license back is already "spent"

for games they are reselling on their store for third party, it will never happen because the same reasoning applies to other companies..used licenses would compete with new licenses and make them lose money, so they will never allow microsoft to somehow re-activate the keys

that's what i was talking about in my previous post, the objective is not to make the original customer come back, but to sell the game twice to a third customer with a bigger profit margin.
this cannot happen in a digital environment.

Hunnybun

As mentioned, simply because the digital licence has no value. They already have effectively unlimited stocks of these games.

I'll just add that that doesn't necessarily mean the idea is bad. Really what you're talking about is a loyalty scheme, but that needn't require the user to give up their property for the bonus points.

But yes in principle the idea that x amount spent will be rewarded with y amount of future discounts is sound business.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There is no value in a digital copy to the people who can sell as many digital copies as they want.

they only value would be the ability to sell your license to another gamer.

Graciaus

That would never fly. People use to buy bundles and sell the keys individually and Humble put a stop to that.

The key itself is worthless to the store. Steam for example can just generate an infinite amount if need be. Games are cheap enough if you wait.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Because virtual items cannot be "used". There is no meaningful difference between that and "new", so offering them would catastrophically devalue the product especially for titles with low replay value/short playtime.

A trade in system on digital goods turns every sale potentially into a rental.

youplayedyourself.gif

Thanks luddites.
Fools paradise, this imagined greatness is all is all in your head.

ethomaz

Banned

That is not true at all.
You can’t trade anything with the original Xbox One “vision”.

You could transfer a game one time with another account that was already a friend of you for sometime before you brought the game.

People keep trying to revisionist the shit of Xbox One digital “vision” to try to make it acceptable lol

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Because companies like to make money. The whole reason they want to push digital is because there is no secondary market. Why would they want to reintroduce the very thing they're trying to avoid?

BigBooper

I think some of you aren't getting the basis for the store credit or just didn't read the OP. If they only give a small amount of store credit back, that will not be enough to buy another game. 10% store credit, all things being equal, means you will have to add 90% more cash to be able to buy another game. It keeps you coming back and adding more money to their store.

That's basically how coupons at retail stores have worked forever. Come in and spend $9 and we'll give you $1 off. People are still spending the $9. It doesn't matter that the digital license holds no value. That is completely irrelevant to the scheme.

Oh and there is one possible advantage to them revoking the license. People rebuying the same game again. Say someone trades in a game but a year later regrets it and then they rebuy that game, or a special edition of the game comes out and they rebuy the special edition.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
In Europe (and pretty much everywhere civilised, so not the US) platforms are actually legally tied to let you resell your licences like any other licences your purchase.

But of course platform and publishers want the salt and pepper, so on one hand they benefit from the fact that digital means an infinite amount of copies can be "pressed" at zero cost, which on the other hand is the rationalisation for them wanting each individual user to buy a single licence that is non exchangeable or refundable.

Steam was condemned to pay a fine in Europe (France specifically) because of that, their argument being somewhat that licences where tied to account and therefor couldn't not be sold individually, but on the other hand their caduc (illegal) EULAs state that you should sell your account (which you can if you want legally thankfully).

All in all, there is very little benefit for platforms and publishers in allowing people to sell their game even if they transform it into credit and take a fee on it, since they'd rather everyone buy at full/sale price an individual copy (even though they apply contradictory marketing and pricing strategies), that's why we have regulations. But as Lauren Lessig said, code is law...

Top Bottom