• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why dont all pc games have an internal benchmark demo?

sunnysideup

Banned
As former console gamer and now exclusive pc gamer. One thing frustrates me to no end. And that is the fact that with many games i have to play the game to set the graphics settings.

This really sucks and takes me out of the game. I am more concentrated on the games performance for the first two hours rather than than enjoying the game. The first hour or two usually consists of me trying to lock the game @ 60fps with the best graphics and resolution possible. Really annoying. The whole beginning of the game gets ruined by this.

Some games have a solution to this and that is a small graphics demo(farcry 6, sottr), where you can try out different settings without playing the game. This to me should be standard. I dont know why it is not.

All games should have a benchmark demo, that is as demanding as the worst case scenario that could come up with normal play. So you can enjoy the whole game without thinking about technical issues.

Phase

That would make it too easy. Just get to know your machine's limits and be more discerning when buying.

sunnysideup

Banned
That would make it too easy. Just get to know your machine's limits and be more discerning when buying.
Sounds tarded in a master racy way.

I set the games graphics at super locked 60 and enjoy the game.

Not fuck around with settings all the time because the game stutters.

Phase

Sounds tarded in a master racy way.

I set the games graphics at super locked 60 and enjoy the game.

Not fuck around with settings all the time because the game stutters.
Who's the one sounding "tarded"?

Seems you don't care to spend a few mins understanding the nuances of your pc. It's not hard, and you'll learn over time anyway. I'd rather play a smooth and locked 144 or 240 than 60fps.

Last edited:

Urban

As former console gamer and now exclusive pc gamer. One thing frustrates me to no end. And that is the fact that with many games i have to play the game to set the graphics settings.

This really sucks and takes me out of the game. I am more concentrated on the games performance for the first two hours rather than than enjoying the game. The first hour or two usually consists of me trying to lock the game @ 60fps with the best graphics and resolution possible. Really annoying. The whole beginning of the game gets ruined by this.

Some games have a solution to this and that is a small graphics demo(farcry 6, sottr), where you can try out different settings without playing the game. This to me should be standard. I dont know why it is not.

All games should have a benchmark demo, that is as demanding as the worst case scenario that could come up with normal play. So you can enjoy the whole game without thinking about technical issues.
Do you have a Nvidia card? Just go into geforce experience there you can optmize it with just one click!? Ill do it all the time that way

MiguelItUp

I've always loved games that had benchmark tests in them, they just felt so old school to me, haha. When I think of them I automatically think of Half Life 2, because I remember going through the Source one a LOT. Because I was going through different hardware and upgrades around that time. HAD TO SEE HOW THEM NUMBERS WERE DOING!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Geforce experience.

Or

Auto Settings and just enjoy your experience.
Almost all games ive played in the last few years auto settings to atleast 60fps.
The tweaking is actually me squeezing the most out of the PC.

Are there games that auto settings to beyond what your PC is capable of?

sunnysideup

Banned
Who's the one sounding "tarded"?

Seems you don't care to spend a few mins understanding the nuances of your pc. It's not hard, and you'll learn over time anyway. I'd rather play a smooth and locked 144 or 240 than 60fps.

Understand what? You do not know what the game will throw at you beforehand. You cannot predict beforehand if you can lock it x framerate with x setting.

Just now i started playing crysis remastered. Ugly ass shit game, looks like an early ps4 game @ highest settings. I play the first level thinking i have locked it solid at 60fps @ x setting. Then i get to the next level and this town and the game drops to 57, 58. Derp. Immersion gone. And i have to fuck around in the settings again, and lower the graphics quality.

If it actually had a demo of that town. I could have lowered the settings before hand, without spoiling the game

sunnysideup

Banned
Set all visuals to High. If it stutters set everything to medium. If it still stutters refund that shit.
Then i have to play the game and ruin the experience.

I should not have to fuck around in settings when i am playing the game. Its like watching a film and fucking around with the projector or some shit. Takes me out of the experience.

A graphics demo solves this. I can set the settings without actually ruining the game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The more benchmarking options, the better, I say. It's great publicity if your game is particularly good at benchmarking particular metrics, which mean lots of tech review sites use it.

Like, who da fuck ever played Ashes of the Singularity, but lots of people know what it is.

Get a Freesync/Gsync display and don’t worry about locking to a specific frame rate. It will be smooth and tear free no matter what you throw at it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I almost never tweak settings anymore, just auto settings; if the game runs fine I'll see if it has a resolution scale slider and up that a bit..
Benchmarks are good though, if the auto settings default me to 120fps, I'll just keep it, if it varies between 80-120, I'd generally up some settings and then lock it to 60.

A.Romero

Why is not a standard feature? Because it costs money and most people don't care, as you can see in this thread.

Workarounds:

- Geforece experience
- Have a very capable machine and just ultra everything

For a lot of people into PC games, tweaking and finding the best settings for the best performance is part of the joy.

What I find annoying is to have to play a game with an intro or something like that before I can actually go to settings and change them.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The freedom to tweak a game so it performs how you prefer is the blessing and curse of PC gaming. Some people really get irritated with the constant tinkering. Some love it. Honestly, if you fall in the former category, I'd consider just sticking with console for the simplicity. Ultimately, gaming should fun. If tinkering is taking away from the fun, drop it. We have enough stress in our lives for it to show up in gaming as well.

Top Bottom