• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't Microsoft not get that Gamepass isn't for everyone

MonarchJT

Banned
Financials show Xbox lights years behind their 2 main competitors, Sony & Nintendo. These are the facts.

They're ahead of Google with Stadia sure if that is competition with their 10K yearly active users.

Having more 1st party studios or hardware won't make your games better or hit green Metacritic scores, sorry to burst the bubble.
you don't know as i don't ms of today isn't the one of 2013 and some seem to be hoping it still is

Dr.Morris79

Reality is that you buy the games you can.
Gamepass enables many people to elevate that barrier.
True. I'm still old school though. I see Gamepass as nothing more than a Demo/rental platform

Another thing for me personally too is that I buy games in such bulk that by the time I'd eventually get around to actually sitting through most games they'd probably be taken off from Gamepass anyway, but i'd still have a copy.

v_iHuGi

Banned
you don't know as i don't ms of today isn't the one of 2013 and some seem to be hoping it still is

Nobody said that. I'm not saying GamePass is bad I think it's great BUT far far from mainstream. Will never be, Core Gaming services / games will never be mainstream.

Mobile f2p is unbeatable & PC to some degree but not as much.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
It's going to be flooded with first party content over the next couple of years, Microsoft have used deals to get people onto the train but there is a reason they allowed three years of cheap access....
In three years time nobody is going to want to leave a service with all the MS and Zenimax games sitting there plus whoever else they pick up in the meantime.
They will if it doubles in price.

You do realise that GamePass exists because Microsoft believes it can extract more money out of gamers long-term (i.e. when they jack the price up) through a subscription service model?

Some people think Microsoft is giving cheap day one access to it's first-party cataogue out of the goodness of its corporate heart 🤭.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I don’t see how they don’t get it’s not for everyone. All games on Gamepass are sold as well. That alone is acknowledging people that don’t want to use gamepass.

v_iHuGi

Banned
I love how you keep trolling despite your recent Ban.

Trolling? For saying facts? Like quality beats quantity? Microsoft 1st party has been lackluster since 2011. Having more studios won't solve the problem for itself, giving studios time, money & freedom Will.

Playground is a great example, Coalition too. Let's see how it develops from here.

TBiddy

Trolling? For saying facts? Like quality beats quantity? Microsoft 1st party has been lackluster since 2011. Having more studios won't solve the problem for itself, giving studios time, money & freedom Will.

Playground is a great example, Coalition too. Let's see how it develops from here.

Facts are that Microsoft studios are hitting "green metacritic scores", and the more studios you have, the bigger the chance of making better games.

You saying otherwise is either ignorance or trolling, and with your history, all signs point to the latter.

I'm a casual movie watcher so Netflix is good deal form me. I don't follow what company works on what movie, I don't follow directors or actors, I'm not registered on movie forums, I don't know which movie is being made untill I stumble upon some trailer on social media shared by my friends. I just start Netflix in the evening and watch what's trening. I'm a casual, subscribtion model is from me.

But in games it's a different story. I discuss games on daily basis, I follow subreddits and forums like Neogaf - I know which company works on which game and I know what to expect. I know what I want to play when I decide to focus 30-60 hours or more on a single game. I finish 20-30 games a year and every one of them is reserched before I buy them. That's why Gamepass is not for me. For 27 games I finished this year only 6 of the are in Gamepass. I would miss out on best games this year if I would focus on gaming only gamepass titles, and paying for gamepass only to to let it sit there while I play games bought in retail is a waste of money.

Subscribtion models are for casuals

But for gaming, subscription model wouldn't work for casuals. It's just a different ball game. It's so different how we consume movies or shows from videogames.

You can't get a casual gamer to pay 10$-15$ to play Gears of War or Sea of Thieves when he can play Candy Crush, Pokemon Go, Genshin Impact, Fornite for free.

The biggest competition of gamepass among casuals are the F2P games.

So yeah I agree with you gamepass is not for gamers like us who know what games we want to play. But I disagree with you that gaming subscription will attract the casuals.

Drewpee

Banned
Basically Microsoft are desperate to get everyone on Gamepass so they decided to double Gold price to make everyone think Gamepass is better value than Gold. Instead there was a backlash.

Microsoft doesn't seem to get Gamepass is simply not for everyone. There are gamers out there that play half a dozen games a year. So having access to a ton of games don't really matter for them. There are gamers out there that only play COD, FIFA, Fortnite etc basically games that are not on Gamepass so they don't see the value of Gamepass. Games take a long damn time to play and people don't have the time to play that many games. A game like Monster Hunter I have put over 200 hours in, being subed to Gamepass if I'm only playing Monster Hunter is a waste if money. The Gamepass model isn't comparable to Netflix where you can binge shows, movies and documentaries and finish content in a weekend and make use of your sub where as games where we have a single game that takes 100 hours of your time.

Here are examples of people I know where Gamepass doesn't make sense to them.

Friend 1
He mainly plays FIFA, plays the occasional singleplayer game at most maybe 2 or 3 singleplayer games a year. For example I remember he played Uncharted Lost Legacy, God of War and FIFA multiplayer for a entire year.

Friend 2
He plays around 5 games a year which are usually games that are bought in sales. £5-£10. He never buys a game day 1 ever. Probably spends max £40 a year on games.

Nephew
This kid only plays Fortnite, luckily it's F2P so he doesn't even pay for PSN Plus.

Myself
I rarely buy games day 1, and the games I do buy day 1 are games that are not available on Gamepass day 1. For example I bought Monster Hunter World which was not available on Gamepass. Because I have a wife and kid, and a full time job it takes me a very long time to finish a game. I buy most games dirt cheap under £10 and play probably around 6 games a year and that's when I'm not playing a multiplayer game. For example when Monster Hunter World came out that year I probably bought 1 other game.

These are just a few examples but Gamepass can have 9000 games and it wouldn't make a difference for many people as they simply don't play that many games. This idea where Microsoft thinks everyone will want Gamepass is not going to happen and Microsofts desperation by upping the Gold price to incencitize people to Gamepass was a terrible idea and the backlash made them do a U turn. I'm sure Microsoft will try another way to try get Gamepass users up but I think it's not working as expected for them and Gamepass isn't going to be the Netflix of gaming as games media cannot be consumed at such a fast rate as watching movies and TV shows.
Blockbuster thought the same of Netflix, we see how that turned out. The product doesn't have to be for everyone, I dont think anyone ever makes a product with that in mind, they just need enough people to buy in.

Every person I know that owns an Xbox also owns Gamepass, pretty much the opposite of your experience. This is all anecdotal either way, I think we can get a better idea of how successful Gamepass has been so far based on moves by the company. They release all major 1st party titles day 1 on the service and have been buying studios like crazy, including Bethesda. These moves would not be made if Microsoft thought Gamepass did not have massive potential.

Kumomeme

Microsoft surely know that gamepass is not everyone. but still not a reason for them to not push it since there lot others who like the bussiness model. long term they surely aiming for this will be one of biggest trend but it doubt it would replace everything.

MS know gamepass isnt for everyone. the problem is some of their fans that act like it.

Last edited:
why doesnt microsoft not get that gamepass isnt for everyone

Why does Gamepass trigger so many people so much?

I keep hearing that it's being shoved down people's throats and forced on everyone but I've seen no evidence of that. It's an opt-in service that you can choose to use or not just like any opt-in service. You can still buy games (in fact the service includes discounts on buying games and DLCs) and you can still chose to use physical media despite claims by many that this gen wouldn't have physical media anymore. If the service goes to shit, you just pull the rip-cord.

What I have seen is people discussing it on GAF getting piled on for doing so, threads about Gamepass being derailed. People starting doom and gloom threads regarding the service as if it's the worst thing to ever happen to gaming based on their own personal beliefs with no concrete evidence of anything. We're in crystal ball territory here.

It seems like the mere mention of Gamepass here brings a flood of the usual posters, many who clearly don't even use Xbox or gaming PCs that need to inform you that even if you are wrong for enjoying the service and it will hurt the Xbox brand (that they also hate).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to turn on Gamepass a bit as I see games leave the service. I still think it's a great value, but the minimum duration of a game being on the service should probably be at least 2 years if not more. Seeing stuff like Final Fantasy XV leave the service after less than 12 months does not instill confidence.

fast_taker

Gamepass is not for everyone agreed. But it is not mandatory either. Gold subscription is not for everyone as well. People can choose between the two or choose to stay without a subscription.

Keep in mind that there is a way to get gamepass at around $50 per year by purchasing cheap gold subsciption from regions like Brazil and convert them to gamepass ultimate for free. Considering the content it provides i think that everyone should have it, because it is cheap and well you know some people might find other things to play instead of just playing fifa and cod. It is then when you realize how great it is and suddenly gamepass becomes the best thing ever.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

Another thing for me personally too is that I buy games in such bulk that by the time I'd eventually get around to actually sitting through most games they'd probably be taken off from Gamepass anyway, but i'd still have a copy.

But GP games are full games, not demos.
Also worth notice that first party games are permanent, so the games out of rotation, specially after zenimax acq is huge.
Im alao old school, but if not for GP i’d play much less games for sure.

Last edited:

Griffon

Youll-Own-Nothing.jpg

FrankWza

The fundamental problem with games as a service is that games are a huge fucking commitment compared to checking out the first 10 minutes of a netflix show
There’s also more to o games than movies or shows. When you’re playing a game you can’t be on your phone tweeting and tiktoki g. If Netflix put a questionnaire at the end of a view most people would get less than half the questions right because they probably paid attention to half of what they just watched. You have to be physically engaged in a game and pause it in order to do anything else

FrankWza

Gold subscription is not for everyone as well. People can choose between the two or choose to stay without a subscription.
Then why doesn’t Microsoft release their gold numbers? On the other hand, they made sure everyone knew they got a big bump after years of not announcing anything about GP. Couple that with their recent attempted price hike and it’s not hard to see what the plan is....

kyussman

If I pick up an Xbox this gen I won't be bothering with GamePass,I'll just continue to buy the games that interest me like I always have.It's a good option for people to have though....the only problem I would have with it is if they make games GamePass exclusive,if they started locking games behind GamePass that would be bullshit.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why does Gamepass trigger so many people so much?

I keep hearing that it's being shoved down people's throats and forced on everyone but I've seen no evidence of that. It's an opt-in service that you can choose to use or not just like any opt-in service. You can still buy games (in fact the service includes discounts on buying games and DLCs) and you can still chose to use physical media despite claims by many that this gen wouldn't have physical media anymore. If the service goes to shit, you just pull the rip-cord.

What I have seen is people discussing it on GAF getting piled on for doing so, threads about Gamepass being derailed. People starting doom and gloom threads regarding the service as if it's the worst thing to ever happen to gaming based on their own personal beliefs with no concrete evidence of anything. We're in crystal ball territory here.

It seems like the mere mention of Gamepass here brings a flood of the usual posters, many who clearly don't even use Xbox or gaming PCs that need to inform you that even if you are wrong for enjoying the service and it will hurt the Xbox brand (that they also hate).
It is a positive for Microsoft and this place is 95% Sony fans. So if it is a positive for Microsoft it means to them a threat to Sony. Which is funny Sony has the market locked up with at least 65% and probably closer to 75% by the end of this generation. The new studios just won't get games out soon enough to make a difference. By the time games are flowing to ps5 momentum will be unstoppable.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great service by Microsoft that’s it, making it more than it is just bull rushes SONY fanboys minds and with so many games being released it’s a no brainer for Xbox.

I wonder why you decide for your friends right now, but if I take myself as the example I have GPU and I haven't played games for months so...

The thing is that attempts to undermine GamePass usually comes from console warriors from Sony's side. So called "concerns". :messenger_tears_of_joy:
They would be signing a different tune if anything remotely close existed something like Game Pass on the Sony platforms. Trust me. The jealousy and hate is real. Just shut up your piehole and play your god damn games on either consoles for Christ's sake. Man people are such cry babies.

GriffinCorp

I had GamePass all last year and for the most part I love what their doing with it. But for me I like to "own" my digital games and I still buy physical.

I ended up downloading probably 60 games over the course of the year and the small amount of games I did play, most of them was less than 30 minutes before I moved on. I hate feeling like I'm wasting my time.

GamePass is the future, but I'm going to use it like I do with Netflix, watch a couple of my shows and miss 99 percent of the rest. I still haven't renewed my Xbox Live or re-enabled GamePass. I would prefer to have just Xbox Live but not double the price.

I'll never not laugh at the animosity towards Game Pass.
You can laugh, but "this is the future!" is what pisses people off.

Because by saying it is the future, you are admitting it isn't the present. That it is not the time and that you are forcing it on people who don't want it. Microsoft is well known to force unwanted features onto their users in Windows, and the majority of the time I spend troublefixing is turning off things i don't want.

The doubling of Gold price was one recent attempt to try make Gamepass look good. But all it proved is that no one wanted Gamepass as it is, so Xbox was trying to make the more desirable alternative too expensive.

JackMcGunns

It's wasn't literally mandatory however their attempt at doubling Gold price is basically them forcing Gamepass onto consumers who only want Gold as Gamepass is practically the same price as that Gold price they tried to introduce. Let's say I want to only play FIFA online I'd be paying $120 a year, which is basically the same price as Gamepass. Forcing someone doesn't have to mean someone literally pointing a gun to your head and making you but Gamepass. But then trying to bump Gold price as nearly the same price as Gamepass is obviously an attempt to force then and if you can't see that then you are delusional. Even some Microsift insiders gave confirmed this was a way to force Gamepass into their users.

It's still optional, since buying Fifa to own is still an option.

Want to know what's mandatory? getting a PlayStation to play their exclusives, but of course there's nothing wrong with avoiding placing your franchises on PC or other consoles because that type of incentive of buying a PlayStation ecosystem is already accepted by gamers.

I say this again though, everyone I know was starting a NEW Gold account and buying 3 years, then upgrading with the $1, pretty much a scam at this point and I suspect the reason for the price hike only for new subscribers.

Why do people keep talking about GamePass? Every day, it's the same discussion and the same argument spanning across multiple threads now.

Is no one else bored by it?

Why not actually talk about the games on it instead
Its because Sony fans are too tunneled visioned by their amazing exclusives that require $70 every time a new title comes out, so they have to find a way to shit on something else because their tunnel keeps getting blocked by $70 obstacle.

You can laugh, but "this is the future!" is what pisses people off.

Because by saying it is the future, you are admitting it isn't the present. That it is not the time and that you are forcing it on people who don't want it. Microsoft is well known to force unwanted features onto their users in Windows, and the majority of the time I spend troublefixing is turning off things i don't want.

The doubling of Gold price was one recent attempt to try make Gamepass look good. But all it proved is that no one wanted Gamepass as it is, so Xbox was trying to make the more desirable alternative too expensive.

A shit ton (hundreds) of high quality games with xbox live gold, Xcloud and day one xbox first party releases included at no additional cost even on PC? Oh, and the EA Play Vault. Yea, nobody wants Xbox Game Pass... you keep believing that.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I'm starting to turn on Gamepass a bit as I see games leave the service. I still think it's a great value, but the minimum duration of a game being on the service should probably be at least 2 years if not more. Seeing stuff like Final Fantasy XV leave the service after less than 12 months does not instill confidence.
RDR2 left after only 4 months. I downloaded that 100gb to play less than 3 hours and it was gone lol. I'll buy it on PS5 if they make an upgrade.

This thread made me check my GP sub and I downloaded Control on PC. I have everything at max but textures are all blurry and grainy. The foliage is PS1 quality, paintings and walls are not loading properly. I messed around for over 1 hour and turns out it's a known issue that was never fixed no matter how powerful your PC is. Another waste of time. Deleted.

A shit ton (hundreds) of high quality games with xbox live gold, Xcloud and day one xbox first party releases included at no additional cost even on PC? Oh, and the EA Play Vault. Yea, nobody wants Xbox Game Pass... you keep believing that.
If everyone like Gamepass so much, then surely no one would need Gold?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think they do get it mate. That’s why you can buy all of their games outright, including Bathesda’s future games, on Steam/MS Store.

I'm definitely not. I play tons of games. Like I said, the vast majority of games on there, I played months or years before I had GamePass.

Like what?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The comparison to Netflix and other streaming services isn't a very good one. With Xbox games you can still buy them (digital / retail) and own them forever if you want to. With streaming services in most cases they're not available to watch using traditional means and they don't come out on bluray (or that happens much later). So if you want to watch their movies or tv shows you have to sub for at least a month.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
Game pass is for everyone but some people just don't know it yet...
Wait until they release the premium tier. The problem is MS don't make enough of their own games so they're gonna have to finance all this investment somehow.

Then ofc Sony releases their version and Nintendo etc etc and it ultimately comes down to individual IP again which is why MS is going to pay for wasting the years since xbox 360 when they should have been expanding their stable.

I mean it's happening all over in the streaming sector. If you wanna watch Stranger things you gotta go Netflix etc etc. Wake up MS, you still need exclusives. I mean look at Nintendo, you think they're concerned about Tflops for their next machine?

Last edited:
i am assuming that you, and others pointing out that you own nothing, Don’t use Netflix, Spotify, buy games digitally or dlcs, owners of ps5 de will never own any game in full

That's true for physical media as well.. That Battleborn full price retail disc some folks bought is going to be a coaster from today. Yay ownership.

On topic though, MS gets that GP isn't for everyone. That's why its an opt-in service. If you don't have use for it, spend your money elsewhere.

I'm not sure why this is so Incredibly difficult to comprehend?

fast_taker

Then why doesn’t Microsoft release their gold numbers? On the other hand, they made sure everyone knew they got a big bump after years of not announcing anything about GP. Couple that with their recent attempted price hike and it’s not hard to see what the plan is....
Funny thing is they just did and i quote:

"Xbox Game Pass has now hit 18 million subscribers, stated Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, speaking on its FY21 Q2 earnings call. Microsoft's Xbox Live gaming network also hits a new milestone, with over 100 million monthly active users (MAUs) across all platforms."

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Bought a series S and haven’t spent a single dime more then the $1 3 month game pass. Is working out great for me.
Will I continue past the 3 months? Not sure. Plowing through lots of great stuff and feel like I can back burner it until some really good shit comes. All the while my dec 2021 PSN ps4 sub just sits their being unused. Kinda regret buying it in October for $30...

Zheph

Bought a series S and haven’t spent a single dime more then the $1 3 month game pass. Is working out great for me.
Will I continue past the 3 months? Not sure. Plowing through lots of great stuff and feel like I can back burner it until some really good shit comes. All the while my dec 2021 PSN ps4 sub just sits their being unused. Kinda regret buying it in October for $30...
Good example on how it won't be viable, thanks

Financials show Xbox lights years behind their 2 main competitors, Sony & Nintendo. These are the facts.

They're ahead of Google with Stadia sure if that is competition with their 10K yearly active users.

Having more 1st party studios or hardware won't make your games better or hit green Metacritic scores, sorry to burst the bubble.
Microsoft makes over $2 Billion dollars off Xbox each year and also unlike SONY isn't holding on to the historic debt and is a cash rich company (much like Nintendo)
It also amazing to see how people look over SONY price increased it's asking price for PS+ in all of Asia and larges parts of Europe just in August of last year and that was on top of a big price rise in 2017. Never mind asking £70 per PS5 game

Sorry to burst your PS bubble

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I just dont game regularly enough to have a "subscription to gaming". I dont care if it is 1 dollar a month or year or whatever the deal was. Somtimes I may go a couple months without playing games cause i just dont have time.

So in that way I am happy to buy games and play them later whenever i want and not not worry about having the ownership tied to a subscription which may change in price or run out one day.

Im just old school like that

48DBA047D0B73858A5A4877C2FDFBEC04F2DA70C

Top Bottom