• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't Microsoft not get that Gamepass isn't for everyone

Kagey K

Banned
By the time those game come out, Gamepass will be so expensive you'll spend more than 70$ to beat them all. It seems like a good deal now because we all did the GPU conversion trick but then what? I barely use my GPU for the same reasons that poster said. The MS exclusives that are actually on the service right now are bargain bins fodder you could just buy outright and save money. 3rd parties I already have or they leave the service before I'm done.

Besides, Demons Souls is totally worth 70$ and you can easily sell it back for 50$ right now. I never pay full price for my games anyway (preorder bonus, trades etc) but I was always able to recoup some of my money with Sony games up to 3-4 months after release. Their games are so good it's 20-30$ well spent to me.

Why are you using Gamepass for only exclusives?

I use it for day 1 releases and games I was interested in that I was waiting for a sale on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We should correct this though. Nobody got 3 years of GPU for 1$. Everybody had to buy 3 years of Gold subscriptions. But yeah, if people think they got this for 1$ instead of paying at least 120$ (if you bought the 3 years from dubious key sellers), then MS wasn't that stupid I guess 🤣
It was not that hard to get essentially 3 years worth of GPU for £3-4 per month which changes the maths considerably.

Fredrik

The yearly price is 1 or 2 days of work depending on your wage, for an entire years worth of the service.

I’ll gladly work for a day for a years worth of entertainment.
It’s great whenever new big releases comes, but in the end it depends on how much you use the service and how many games you play. Not all games are there so you will still end up paying more than that + DLC, etc. This month I’ve played nothing on Gamepass so far, I’ve just enjoyed my time with Cyberpunk on PC and Super Metroid-Retroarch on XSX. Other months I might try out several games in a row, those times it’s definitely easier to accept the cost.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
man Do you understand that gamepass is the gaming service that is seeing the highest growth compared to any other released on any platform in the last 2 years? what are we talking about?

Seeing growth across the Core not mainstream who play Fortnite, this is where the key is. And will never, ever happen.

waquzy

I tried it for a month, but the only games I played were, Untitled Goose Game and Descenders. I cancelled it.

MonarchJT

Banned
Seeing growth across the Core not mainstream who play Fortnite, this is where the key is. And will never, ever happen.
they finally just made f2p games free for that core audience. Gamepass is a way to play games but on Xbox it's not the only way, you can buy standalone games whenever you want just like on other consoles to be angry about this service that has personally changed my and other millions personal way of approaching games is at least doubtful and sorry but honestly so ridiculous that it almost only sounds like envy. This is only an option but it is doubtful whether it is the best deal in the gaming world.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
they finally just made f2p games free for that core audience. Gamepass is a way to play games but on Xbox it's not the only way, you can buy standalone games whenever you want just like on other consoles to be angry about this service that has personally changed my and other millions personal way of approaching games is at least doubtful and sorry but honestly so ridiculous that it almost only sounds like envy. This is only an option but it is doubtful whether it is the best deal in the gaming world.
Dude take some deep breaths lol

pasterpl

You guys know that no one is forcing you to play all games that are on gamepass? There is no penalty of you don’t play all of them. Also to the op, gamepass might change your friends habits, they might not be playing more games from various reasons (eg. don’t want to invest to much into games in case I don’t like my purchase, thus wasting money) game pass solves this to some degree.

gamepass is not for everyone, true, but it is a case with everything, there are people that will not like things that you like and vice-versa

dcmk7

Banned
Why do people keep talking about GamePass? Every day, it's the same discussion and the same argument spanning across multiple threads now.

Is no one else bored by it?

Why not actually talk about the games on it instead.

longdi

Banned
15M subs vs 50M PS Plus vs 120M Steam users vs 100+M Lol players...

GamePass is niche just like any sub gaming system, this isn't Netflix when you click & watch & can fall asleep, gaming takes time, dedication so it'll always be niche, a sub system.

GamePass on Pc was 5 bucks & still no PC gamer gave a shit.

I dont even play much games these days, i still sub to GPU on PC, for 3 years, for the price of 2-3 games? It was pretty 'cheap' investment imo.

Gotta support the #movement!

Why do people keep talking about GamePass? Every day, it's the same discussion and the same argument spanning across multiple threads now.

The more a company, its marketing, and the zealots try to force feed it the more resistance it will create when zoomed under the microscope. The reaction is natural. If a certain company wasn't so desperate about it it wouldn't be so. Nobody gives a crap about Gamefly for comparison (much better imo). And yes I look forward to the day it's a footprint in gaming discussions which should be as you said, about games.

Last edited:
I think it is mostly for teenage boys with unlimited time and no responsibilities.
Interesting, I think it’s the complete opposite: married men with families, a budget, and a finite amount of time for gaming. That’s how I would describe most of the game pass subscribers I know.

I know anecdotal evidence doesn’t really mean shit tho 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Forsythia

Why doesn't Microsoft not get that Gamepass isn't for everyone

They don't.

What a ridiculous thread. MS isn't forcing anyone to get Game Pass. And people calling it a scam... 🤣🤣🤣 Seriously. It's just another way of getting people to play more games. Those who only play CoD or FIFA don't give a shit about any other game anyway.

MonarchJT

Banned
Gamepass is Microsoft's killer app and will be part of the reason why Xbox will win this generation over Sony.

Sony fans wish there was a service as good on their platform but instead they will just have to pay $70 dollars for their 10 hour scripted corridor shooter games.
Sony will follow Ms with gamepass there's no way that this gen will not see strong relaunch of psnow touted as a sort of gamepass. After Sony's launch, everyone will love this type of service and we will live happily ever after

Gatox

Banned
Interesting, I think it’s the complete opposite: married men with families, a budget, and a finite amount of time for gaming. That’s how I would describe most of the game pass subscribers I know.

I know anecdotal evidence doesn’t really mean shit tho 🤷‍♂️
I can back that up as it describes my situation perfectly. I've got to try out loads of 2 player games with my daughter I would never have has the chance to due to gamepass, its been brilliant for that.

cormack12

Gold Member
How is this a problem? Buy an Xbox, buy the games you want to play on disc for it. You might as well say the same for EA Play for example - who wants to play UFC3 or Fifa 20 now? I guarantee if Godfall was on a Sony gamepass it would have more players for example, and probably a larger subreddit/LFG discord.

A game like Monster Hunter I have put over 200 hours in, being subed to Gamepass if I'm only playing Monster Hunter is a waste if money.

What happens if you don't sub to gamepass? Does this affect you in any way?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I thought Gamepass was great when i first signed up. I played many different and good games thanks to it. Then i ran out of good games, and Gamepass died for me. There were tons of bugs on Pc version too, i had to re install Windows once because one of them.

I hate rushing my games too. I've finished Dark Souls 3 in two years, RDR 2 in three months(without gamepass). I subscribed for 3 months first and i didn't play anything in last month because i thought i couldn't finish any of it. I had to left NMS and Ori behind.

Maybe it's a better deal on Xbox, even better with Xcloud, but i don't see myself subscribing to it's PC version in near future, unless they offer some big Bethesda/Obsidian exclusive.

It's good for people who got a lot of time and subscribe to it for years. But it's just not for me. I don't like Halo, Flight Simulator or Forza too. Gears of war 1 was good though.

Every day there is a gamepass thread on here and it's just Sony fanboys complaining about it.

I hope Sony hurries up with their equivilent service so these gamepass slating threads stop.

Most normal people would just say 'not for me' but it seems the favourite thing to do now is make daily threads about how terrible it is and list potential downsides which might happen 10 years into the future.

Last edited:
Sony will follow Ms with gamepass there's no way that this gen will not see strong relaunch of psnow touted as a sort of gamepass. After Sony's launch, everyone will love this type of service and we will live happily ever after

They will have to if they want to keep up with Microsoft but somehow I don't see them having the nouse to pull it off like the big M.

This will be the generation that sees Playstation and it's outdated policy of sticking with all the boomers who cling on to their physical games and refuse to let go crumble.

The future is digital, the future is subscriptions, but most importantly of all, the future is Xbox.

Last edited:
I must’ve missed the memo where MS said GP was for everyone and everyone simply must subscribe this minute.

"When are Netflix going to realise not everyone is into their streaming service!"
They arnt foicing you to use their service though?
"yes they are, they advertise it!"

"When are Apple going to realise not everyone wants their phone! "
They arnt foicing you to buy one.
"yes they are, they advertise it!"

The gamepass hate gets more weird everyday. I admit MS isn't the greatest but gamepass is most definitely their best service. So it seems to attract the most hate. Whatever happened to just saying its not for me and moving on?

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They will have to if they want to keep up with Microsoft but somehow I don't see them having the nouse to pull it off like the big M.

This will be the generation that sees Playstation and it's outdated policy of sticking with all the boomers who cling on to their physical games and refuse to let go crumble.

The future is digital, the future is subscriptions, but most importantly of all, the future is Xbox.
barack obama applause GIF by Obama

Topher

Gold Member

kool aid GIF

Buki1

I'm a casual movie watcher so Netflix is good deal form me. I don't follow what company works on what movie, I don't follow directors or actors, I'm not registered on movie forums, I don't know which movie is being made untill I stumble upon some trailer on social media shared by my friends. I just start Netflix in the evening and watch what's trening. I'm a casual, subscribtion model is from me.

But in games it's a different story. I discuss games on daily basis, I follow subreddits and forums like Neogaf - I know which company works on which game and I know what to expect. I know what I want to play when I decide to focus 30-60 hours or more on a single game. I finish 20-30 games a year and every one of them is reserched before I buy them. That's why Gamepass is not for me. For 27 games I finished this year only 6 of the are in Gamepass. I would miss out on best games this year if I would focus on gaming only gamepass titles, and paying for gamepass only to to let it sit there while I play games bought in retail is a waste of money.

Subscribtion models are for casuals.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Because most people who start Gamepass threads dont actually know what games are on Gamepass because it easier just to hate whatever MS does without actually knowing what MS is doing.

mejin

It is for everyone, OP.

But this is an uncharted territory.

No one knows what is the right formula so services won't canibalize softwares sales and vice versa.

No doubt MS is the best positioned, but as history proved several times it really doesn't matter who started first, but who made it right.

We saw MS tried to breath a little with the new prices for Gold, but got rekt as a result.

I think they're already seeing their projections falling apart cause GP was supposed to attract everyone and new public for their ecosystem, but it is just not working.

The only horny ones about the service are their faithful and loyal small hardcore community.

But this brings a huge problem they are also the people who buy more games.

They can act stupid, but they are not dumb. They started to buy less games to make full use of GP.

So, MS is in a peculiar situation right now.

GP probably reached a more stable growth right now and people are not buying as many softwares as before.

I think the last number was 15M subscribers and just a few months after they announced 10M. I doubt will see this number going as fast and that is why Spencer thought some shit to compensate it and the so called "pro consumer" took a rude hit this week.

Like I said this is an uncharted territory and no wonder Sony is taking a more careful about their services. They still don't know how to implement it without fuckin with their huge softwares sales and Plus numbers. MS doesn't have anything to lose unless money, but this they have a lot to burn.

And once again I think is all about their projections. MS should have some kind of quota to reach and they are falling behind cause they have those 2 walls: only their hardcores are signing up and they don't know how to attract new public. When even their casuals don't see the appeal of GP... How can they attract new people to their ecosystem and even better to GP? There is zero doubt it is the best cost x benefits service out there, it is aimed for everyone, but it really doesn't matter if only the hardcores are preaching about it. That's the challenge. Find the formula and you may find the gold.

It will be a long year for MS...just another one.

sunnysideup

Banned
Games are dirt cheap, offer insane amount of hours of gameplay.

Most people who are not unemployed losers dont have no time for random mediocre crap game, just because its free.

People want to play their game, not any game. These services leads to mediocrity and crap.

must admit gamepass allows you to try out games that you would not normally try out or pay for
Yakuza zero i would not of blinked an eye to but since it came on gamepass i tried it and absolutely love it and im actualy think of buying the other games not covered by gamepass

i still dont see the ops point at all.....its good for gamer overall

Topher

Gold Member
Ultimately it comes down to what is available on the service at the time. The fact that anyone can subscribe/unsubscribe whenever they want is key in my mind. Why pay for GP all year long? I've played one game on GP: The Outer Worlds. I paid $5 on the PC (beta) version for that game. And when I was done, I cancelled the sub. I looked around for something else I wanted to play, but there just wasn't anything that grabbed my attention. I did the same thing with Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Paid $15 for a month and when I was done, cancelled.

I don't think these services are for everyone. Rather, they can be for anyone at any given time. If there is a game on a service that someone wants to play then take advantage of the sub and get it cheap. That's how I look at it anyway.

Games are dirt cheap, offer insane amount of hours of gameplay.

Most people who are not unemployed losers dont have no time for random mediocre crap game, just because its free.

People want to play their game, not any game. These services leads to mediocrity and crap.

So you've never used gamepass. It's has various quality games but it's not led to 'full of mediocre crap'.

Forza Horizon 4
Forza motorsports
Gears
Halo
Ori
Flight Sim
Bathesda games
Minecraft
Sea of theives
Greedfall
Control
Ark
Destiny 2
Soul calibre 6
Injustice 2
Cities Skylines
Planet coaster
Doom eternal
Yakuza series
Dragon Quest XI
Hellblade
Middle Earth
Various Resident evil games
The sims
The witcher

That's just to name a few.

Then you have EA play games like Madden, fifa, titanfall, star wars (squadron, fallen order, battlefront) which clearly have their fans as they are all popular still.. Although most arnt my cup of tea.

If they are all 'mediocre' then all the most popular games on Sony platforms and games that Sony fans play are mediocre.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
it would not seem you know? seeing their hardware, cloud, bc, number of first party studios, services, they are almost all ahead of the competition (or in certain things likewise).if this was a joke post that i didnt get ..sorry in advance

Financials show Xbox lights years behind their 2 main competitors, Sony & Nintendo. These are the facts.

They're ahead of Google with Stadia sure if that is competition with their 10K yearly active users.

Having more 1st party studios or hardware won't make your games better or hit green Metacritic scores, sorry to burst the bubble.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Why are you using Gamepass for only exclusives?

I use it for day 1 releases and games I was interested in that I was waiting for a sale on.

I barely use it for anything actually. I did the conversion trick because I already had Gold stacked and I was on a GP trial so why not?

I played some Metro Exodus but never got far. The gold edition is so cheap now I'll buy that on PC on sale. Monster Hunter World a couple of hours but I'm replaying on PS5 (I have 3 years to finish it on the PS Plus collection). RDR2 left so fast I didn't made out of the first camp (buy again on PC or PS5). I stopped playing FF15 because it's in PS collection and it's leaving soon. I downloaded Yakuza 2 but then got it on indie humble same for Vampyr. Blair Witch free on Epic. The list goes on.

Gears 5 is free soon and it was in bargain bins for months (I had it physical when it came out). I downloaded Wasteland 3 and gave up after 2 hours. Boring. No interest in Gears Tactics or Flight Sim. Battletoads. Trash. No man Sky. Awful. Man of Median so bad I'm laughing. Worthless indies. I have hundreds on Steam/Epic/PSN/GWG.

People that are paying for Gamepass are ignorant fools. They got us with the GPU trick but never again for me.

That said, I have Yakuza 5 on PS3 but I'll make sure to play it this time on Xbox and The Medium on PC just to get some use of that sub.

wOs

But don't they not get it?

I'd be more apt to agree that they don't get it.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Because Microsoft doesn't care about your friends. They're not Microsofts intended audience. Someone spending 40 bucks a year doesn't make them money. They're just hardware sale statistics.

Top Bottom