• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't Microsoft not get that Gamepass isn't for everyone

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the wrong example. You’re speaking to valuation. The example you want is if the Marlins give a player a 5 year contract for $200 million they want a return on that investment and they get it through season ticket sales and selling that players jersey and promoting that player. The 7.5 billion is similar in that they want it to pay for itself so they’ll try to get a return on that investment somehow.
With a player, they are only as valuable as the years they play for the team, so the urge for immediate payback is right away.

Companies getting bought out is totally different because the payback can be 10 or 20 years. Even more. Companies always have an inherent value too, so MS can always sell Zenimax and get money back.

With athletes, you can trade or sell them to other teams, but once the player is too old or stinks, the value is basically zero. That's why athletes need an immediate payback to make a contract worth it.

With companies and valuation, every company still has value, so MS doesn't ever need to make back $7.5 billion to make it worth it. Solid companies also get sold for higher valuations. You never know, maybe MS will sell off Zenimax for $10 billion at some point. Athletes in the long term don't because they are over the hill and retire.

DJTHEGREY

Gamepass isn't for everyone.... But it's a great value for people who have time and like to play games... As a subscriber myself I get to try games I typically wouldn't buy and xbox exclusives day one. It's worth it to me.

I don't understand why people want to down play Gamepass so much... It's not the only gaming subscription service. Nobody complains about psnow or stadia. Gamepass is just the seemingly more popular service. If psnow included sony first party games day one I'm sure no one would complain and would easily crush Gamepass.

FrankWza

With a player, they are only as valuable as the years they play for the team, so the urge for immediate payback is right away.

Companies getting bought out is totally different because the payback can be 10 or 20 years. Even more. Companies always have an inherent value too, so MS can always sell Zenimax and get money back.

With athletes, you can trade or sell them to other teams, but once the player is too old or stinks, the value is basically zero. That's why athletes need an immediate payback to make a contract worth it.

With companies and valuation, every company still has value, so MS doesn't ever need to make back $7.5 billion to make it worth it. Solid companies also get sold for higher valuations. You never know, maybe MS will sell off Zenimax for $10 billion at some point. Athletes in the long term don't because they are over the hill and retire.
Sure. With a player contract you want a return inside of the 5 years. If it takes them 10-20 years to get back that zeni investment that’s really bad. And just as the player can get old, those IPs can lose value as well. All it takes is another fallout 76 to kill that franchise for a decade. Right now they’re loading up on subs by leaving the $1 3year option open. People are taking the max amount of gold years because it works out to $5 a month combined. It’s been going on for 18 months. Once the zeni IPs begin to hit, some of these subs will start to expire. At that point, we’ll see what GP is worth and what that zeni deal is worth as well. But the timing of the deal closing soon, yesterday’s news, plus the expected timeframe of when these IPs should begin to hit and begin paying dividends can’t be denied. It’s pretty obvious.

also, I’m curious how many customers loaded up on gold today after the price hike/drop yesterday. Probably added a ton of subs that fall into the “just in case” category and how many of those did and will be doing the GP $1 deal.

Ev1L AuRoN

Its cheap, there is a lot o content, but it's not for me, all the games that I really like on gamepass I already bought when they launch. I'm a yet other type of gamer, you can call me day one friend. I love to play games when they are new, and I can share and talk about it with my friends. I subscribe to gamepass for a month when I want to play some game from Microsoft studios and that's it.

Hari Seldon

I think it is mostly for teenage boys with unlimited time and no responsibilities. Gamepass could be free, it doesn't matter the price, I simply don't have the time to play games that I am not interested in. The fundamental problem with games as a service is that games are a huge fucking commitment compared to checking out the first 10 minutes of a netflix show and seeing if you like it. I'm not interested in "games", I'm interested in highly specific games.

FrankWza

Its cheap, there is a lot o content, but it's not for me, all the games that I really like on gamepass I already bought when they launch. I'm a yet other type of gamer, you can call me day one friend. I love to play games when they are new, and I can share and talk about it with my friends. I subscribe to gamepass for a month when I want to play some game from Microsoft studios and that's it.
It totally has its pros. I think there’s more examples of people wanting it as a compliment to their gaming instead of it being everything they rely on. It’s been around for a few years but didn’t jump considerably until last year. Whatever the reason it jumped is, it was not for Xbox exclusives or an overwhelming desire to live within the Xbox ecosystem. The only way it will have a truly exceptional attach rate is if you absolutely cannot live(game) without it. So, either a ridiculous amount of exclusives that people absolutely have to play day 1 and at least some 3rd party titles day 1 as well . They can also make a mandatory bundle with gold that bumps up those numbers but to me, that’s pretty much what they are doing now with the $1 deal and gold. After yesterday, I’ll guess the gold bundle.

The only disgusting thing here is your effort to spin my post in order to push your petty fanboy agenda.

I know that. Everyone knows that. But i don't give a shit about MS's first party games personally. I was talking about 3rd parties.

Exactly. And like i said i don't like that. I like to own my games and play them when the fuck i want to play them. Even worse MS doesn't even say how long this time period will be.It could be 6 months ,3 months or whatever they feel like it. It's an invisible time limit and i hate that. Are you so thick that you can't understand or respect this simple concept?

Oh and about the price increase please let me laugh. I don't always buy on day 1 but when i do it's for collector's editions or games from developers i trust therefore i will gladly pay the price and support them.The games i don't want to buy on day 1 i can wait for a few months and i will be able to buy them physically for at least half the price.
And unlike Gamepass users i will own them forever to play them whenver the fuck i want.

So yeah GTFO with your bullshit.
I love it how angry and ragey you are. Keep the salt. Its entertaining. Oh and for your info I own both PS5 and the XSX and own PS+ and GP and GP is far better and far more advanced. Granted I have PS5 for Demons Souls and to be fair $70 the game is not worth it. Its a great title but its a remake and thats it. Enjoy spending $70 on every Sony exclusive, meanwhile ill enjoy my Elder Scrolls 6, Fable, Perfect Dark and Awoved and almost basically free cost day 1.

Oh and as far as owning products goes. Doesn't really matter if you own it or not, we all be dead in the next 60 to 70 years. Enjoy your owned "forever product" in your grave.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think it is mostly for teenage boys with unlimited time and no responsibilities. Gamepass could be free, it doesn't matter the price, I simply don't have the time to play games that I am not interested in. The fundamental problem with games as a service is that games are a huge fucking commitment compared to checking out the first 10 minutes of a netflix show and seeing if you like it. I'm not interested in "games", I'm interested in highly specific games.

I found since on gamepass, there was about 8 games this year alone (last 12 months) that are fantastic that I wouldn't have even tried. A perfect example of this is tetris effect - zero chance i would have even tried it if not for gamepass, turns out its flat out amazing and deserved my time. I dont see gamepass ultimate as a huge commitment, it was really just $10 a month extra over gold and offered day and date exclusives, some games I wanted to buy, plus a bunch of hidden gems.

Last edited:

Brofist

Gamepass is like renting a big lot of shoes. And most these shoes, you don't really like and aren't your size. There's maybe two or three pairs that are a match for you. And at that point you realize, you are better off just buying the shoes that you like.
Since we are making dumbass shoe analogies I'll at least fix it for you.

Gamepass is like having access to a big lot of shoes. There are a lot of different styles. Many of them you would never wear, some you would. Then there are some that you might never have worn, but discover they are pretty nice looking after all.

If you are smart you still buy the shoes you like, but you realize that having a large collection of shoes to go along with those isn't a bad thing.

Unless you happen to only love the one brand of shoes that doesn't offer the same service. These particular shoes walk in a linear direction, when you wear them you are limited in walking down a path in the 3rd person POV.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gaas is shit and so is game pass.

Buying games you like is the best way to ensure games you like are being made. It is a great way to ensure money ends up in the right pockets.

Paying ms rental to select games for you is not.

Rental services ledas to mediocrity. Just look At Netflix.

Netflix has had a ton of great shows, perhaps your not trying hard enough to find them. Buying games is no more effective than a subscription service in terms of getting money to developers. Ms takes a cut either way.

Brofist

So hey you know this MS GP service I hear has MS games. People who are interested and like the MS games like this service because it has games they like. Oddly enough people who don't like MS games don't like the service. It's almost like there are different views on it, and they don't necessarily have anything to do with teenage boys (I like how girls aren't even included here)

Last edited:
Yeah yeah we know. So according to the PlayStation users here, GamePass will:

- See a massive price increase
- See a shift to exclusively smaller, A/AA releases by MS
- See a massive drop in quality of games by MS, aka “cheap GamePass filler”
- See the minimum subscription tier jump to one year

I can totally see this happening guys, makes complete sense. MS will sell boatloads of subscriptions with this strategy.

Honestly iirc, it’s been like that from the start for some people

Nocturno999

It can be a good option for people that want to try different games but don't care about finishing them.

Also, I don't think they are "forcing it". If anything, the message has been pretty bad.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What a weird premise for a thread.

Nothing is for everyone.
But having over 15 million subscribers to the service right now makes MS focusing on it logical.

If you have something unique that people are seemingly enjoying you had best be pushing it.
Business 101

Kagey K

Banned
What a weird premise for a thread.

Nothing is for everyone.
But having over 15 million subscribers to the service right now makes MS focusing on it logical.

If you have something unique that people are seemingly enjoying you had best be pushing it.
Business 101
Nah Nike should have stopped using air in their soles back in the day because people thought it was stupid.

Why focus on what makes you different when everyone else is happy where it is already? 🙄

v_iHuGi

Banned
Game pass is for everyone but some people just don't know it yet...

15M subs vs 50M PS Plus vs 120M Steam users vs 100+M Lol players...

GamePass is niche just like any sub gaming system, this isn't Netflix when you click & watch & can fall asleep, gaming takes time, dedication so it'll always be niche, a sub system.

GamePass on Pc was 5 bucks & still no PC gamer gave a shit.

Riky

$MSFT
It's going to be flooded with first party content over the next couple of years, Microsoft have used deals to get people onto the train but there is a reason they allowed three years of cheap access....
In three years time nobody is going to want to leave a service with all the MS and Zenimax games sitting there plus whoever else they pick up in the meantime.

MonarchJT

Banned
15M subs vs 50M PS Plus vs 120M Steam users vs 100+M Lol players...

GamePass is niche just like any sub gaming system, this isn't Netflix when you click & watch & can fall asleep, gaming takes time, dedication so it'll always be niche, a sub system.

GamePass on Pc was 5 bucks & still no PC gamer gave a shit.
what a weird comparation. you should compare psnow and gamepass ..... Gold and plus. But reading you better i think you are completely out of touch with what's is happening in the gaming world but I suspect i know why

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Yea beacause paying a rental fee is such a high level of entry. Surely envy must be it.
if your preferred system dosn't have something like this it can provoke that.
I could get my ass that if PlayStation had something gamepass it would grow x2 times faster destroying any by shaming any argument like this one

Last edited:
Basically Microsoft are desperate to get everyone on Gamepass so they decided to double Gold price to make everyone think Gamepass is better value than Gold. Instead there was a backlash.

Microsoft doesn't seem to get Gamepass is simply not for everyone. There are gamers out there that play half a dozen games a year. So having access to a ton of games don't really matter for them. There are gamers out there that only play COD, FIFA, Fortnite etc basically games that are not on Gamepass so they don't see the value of Gamepass. Games take a long damn time to play and people don't have the time to play that many games. A game like Monster Hunter I have put over 200 hours in, being subed to Gamepass if I'm only playing Monster Hunter is a waste if money. The Gamepass model isn't comparable to Netflix where you can binge shows, movies and documentaries and finish content in a weekend and make use of your sub where as games where we have a single game that takes 100 hours of your time.

Here are examples of people I know where Gamepass doesn't make sense to them.

Friend 1
He mainly plays FIFA, plays the occasional singleplayer game at most maybe 2 or 3 singleplayer games a year. For example I remember he played Uncharted Lost Legacy, God of War and FIFA multiplayer for a entire year.

Friend 2
He plays around 5 games a year which are usually games that are bought in sales. £5-£10. He never buys a game day 1 ever. Probably spends max £40 a year on games.

Nephew
This kid only plays Fortnite, luckily it's F2P so he doesn't even pay for PSN Plus.

Myself
I rarely buy games day 1, and the games I do buy day 1 are games that are not available on Gamepass day 1. For example I bought Monster Hunter World which was not available on Gamepass. Because I have a wife and kid, and a full time job it takes me a very long time to finish a game. I buy most games dirt cheap under £10 and play probably around 6 games a year and that's when I'm not playing a multiplayer game. For example when Monster Hunter World came out that year I probably bought 1 other game.

These are just a few examples but Gamepass can have 9000 games and it wouldn't make a difference for many people as they simply don't play that many games. This idea where Microsoft thinks everyone will want Gamepass is not going to happen and Microsofts desperation by upping the Gold price to incencitize people to Gamepass was a terrible idea and the backlash made them do a U turn. I'm sure Microsoft will try another way to try get Gamepass users up but I think it's not working as expected for them and Gamepass isn't going to be the Netflix of gaming as games media cannot be consumed at such a fast rate as watching movies and TV shows.
Excatly!

Yet "bbbbut game pass is incredible value!!!111" gang continues to spam it as only truth like jehova witnesses.

IMO GP is expensive scam of quantity.

Like you would need to buy household item that lasts 6 months, and then store would sell you 100 of them as a bundle, because price for one would be "so cheap"

Gamepass fans always use the failed argument of "lol games cost 60-70$€£! gamepass saves so much, you are stupid!", maybe they are stupid enough to pay full price for games, so they assume others do it too?

In reality most gamers I know just wait for sales or buy used copies, so even "launch window" games can be 25-30e if you are lucky. and usually games drop to 5-15e range, so meanwhile you play old backlog, those new games drop to that level.

I think I saw statistics that average gamer/console attach rate is like 5-6 games per gen, aka people dont buy even few games/year. Lets say average gamer plays 10 games on their console = they dont need a library of hundreds.

So, gamepass is scam that makes certain kind of people see it as "omg hundreds of games and it costs only xx$£€! incredible deal!"

Because they lack the ability to think the big picture.

GP is about 15€ here = 180€ year, 6 years of gen = 1080€ = people waste 1000€ and own zero games.

For 180€ smart consumer can get 5-20+ games / year by buying from sales or used. Even getting used launch games that are almost always 40-45e after week or two, you can get 4-5 games/year.

And play them, and then sell them for small loss or profit = you can "recycle" those games and play tens of games/year, if that is your thing

(another thing is how this business model will affect the game quality and so on)

Then games that dont come in the game pass? Do they then pay 70€ per game, like they have been saying how others must pay for games they get in GP?

So now it GP price + games that dont be there.

Gamepass is good for only those that play +50 games/year, and I would bet that not many really do that.

So, my conclusion is that gamepass is mainly a scam to fool fools, whom lack the ability to think further than "omg hundreds of games for 15€!"

Like those whom run 10 different streaming services on the same time because they dont understand that they pay thousands every year. GP have basically the same problem as streaming services = not all games are or stay there, so you need to spend extra money to get what you want.

Fredrik

The XBL blunder was a dumb idea, instead of increasing the price for XBL by 100% to make Gamepass seem better they could’ve lowered the price for Gamepass. I pay about $5/month for GP Ultimate, it’s definitely worth it. But standard price is $15/month, $180/year, $1260 for a 7 year generation. Is it worth it? I don’t know, that’s 21 $60 games.

Toe-Knee

Simple. They think it is and just spent billions to support this.

They're going to push it regardless of users desire they've bet too much on it the last few years.

Kagey K

Banned
The XBL blunder was a dumb idea, instead of increasing the price for XBL by 100% to make Gamepass seem better they could’ve lowered the price for Gamepass. I pay about $5/month for GP Ultimate, it’s definitely worth it. But standard price is $15/month, $180/year, $1260 for a 7 year generation. Is it worth it? I don’t know, that’s 21 $60 games.
The yearly price is 1 or 2 days of work depending on your wage, for an entire years worth of the service.

I’ll gladly work for a day for a years worth of entertainment.

v_iHuGi

Banned
what a weird comparation. you should compare psnow and gamepass ..... Gold and plus. But reading you better i think you are completely out of touch with what's is happening in the gaming world but I suspect i know why

Yeah out of touch.

I see numbers of Gaming Subs & then I look at Steam & F2P on Mobile or Lol.

And I for sure can tell where the future is, I mean present.

Oh & if you're looking for jobs you'll see most has to be Mobile friendly now, most apps are f2p with optional purchases, f2p games are printing most money.

GamePass is as doomed as it gets for most gamers unless you browse this forum and are core. So for us, yeah it's great.

Microsoft tried to fool you GP was the future, but they forget Gold only exploded because it was forced to play on-line when these type of games blew out.

Now GamePass future on Pc depends on high profile games from Bethesda at best.

Try to guess why Playstation Plus has 50M subs? On PS3 was barely alive i wonder what happened? Oh it was forced.

Plus just like Gold will be as dead as it gets once paywall drops.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
you asking if 21 games spanned in 7 years having more value than gamepass? this is just like 3 games at year basically 499 euro for a console isn't worth for someone that play this little and still if someone play just 3 title at year it mean a game every 4 month you could still sub 1 month Every 4 months spending just a total 350 dollars spanned in 7 years ..and have a better deal..with hundreds of games on pc console and mobile

Last edited:

vkbest

Ms is simply doing the best they always did. First a “cheap” product using their almost infinite money, drive out the competency who can’t compete those prices or investments, and finally when they have the monopoly rise the prices.

idk who gamepass ISN'T for.

cuz it def has Fifa. and Madden and all the sports games. It had one of the 2K basketball games recently. So gamepass is def for casuals that just want to play sports games. Its def for ppl that are super into gaming and play everything. So is ur arguement that its not for the ppl in the middle?

cireza

Banned
I won't be forced to subscribe to Gamepass until Microsoft send armed people at my house. This is what being forced means.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yeah out of touch.

I see numbers of Gaming Subs & then I look at Steam & F2P on Mobile or Lol.

And I for sure can tell where the future is, I mean present.

Oh & if you're looking for jobs you'll see most has to be Mobile friendly now, most apps are f2p with optional purchases, f2p games are printing most money.

GamePass is as doomed as it gets for most gamers unless you browse this forum and are core. So for us, yeah it's great.

Microsoft tried to fool you GP was the future, but they forget Gold only exploded because it was forced to play on-line when these type of games blew out.

Now GamePass future on Pc depends on high profile games from Bethesda at best.

Try to guess why Playstation Plus has 50M subs? On PS3 was barely alive i wonder what happened? Oh it was forced.

Plus just like Gold will be as dead as it gets once paywall drops.
man Do you understand that gamepass is the gaming service that is seeing the highest growth compared to any other released on any platform in the last 2 years? what are we talking about?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I love it how angry and ragey you are. Keep the salt. Its entertaining. Oh and for your info I own both PS5 and the XSX and own PS+ and GP and GP is far better and far more advanced. Granted I have PS5 for Demons Souls and to be fair $70 the game is not worth it. Its a great title but its a remake and thats it. Enjoy spending $70 on every Sony exclusive, meanwhile ill enjoy my Elder Scrolls 6, Fable, Perfect Dark and Awoved and almost basically free cost day 1.

Oh and as far as owning products goes. Doesn't really matter if you own it or not, we all be dead in the next 60 to 70 years. Enjoy your owned "forever product" in your grave.

By the time those game come out, Gamepass will be so expensive you'll spend more than 70$ to beat them all. It seems like a good deal now because we all did the GPU conversion trick but then what? I barely use my GPU for the same reasons that poster said. The MS exclusives that are actually on the service right now are bargain bins fodder you could just buy outright and save money. 3rd parties I already have or they leave the service before I'm done.

Besides, Demons Souls is totally worth 70$ and you can easily sell it back for 50$ right now. I never pay full price for my games anyway (preorder bonus, trades etc) but I was always able to recoup some of my money with Sony games up to 3-4 months after release. Their games are so good it's 20-30$ well spent to me.

Top Bottom