• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does nobody make SP DLC anymore?

DaGwaphics

Tons of games release single player DLC OP, sounds like you've got an extremely narrow selection of games you play.

Still tons out there like you said, but it did seem more common to me during the PS360 era. But I could just be remembering it wrong.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There used to be more yes, but they still come from time to time.

Starcraft's Broodwar and Call of Duty's United Offensive were my favorites but modern games also had some pretty awesome ones, like Dark Soul's Artorias DLC.

Last edited:

ssringo

later this month, op:

Resident-Evil-Village-%E2%80%93-Shadows-of-Rose-DLC-Gameplay-Revealed.jpg
Was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Plus it's more than just Shadows of Rose. 3rd person mode for main game and expanded mercenaries content.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Assassins Creed Valhalla had great SP DLC for whatever reason flew under the radar because of the Ubisoft hate.

Filben

Why make a costly and big DLC expansion for 30 EUR when you can sell a skin for 18 EUR that only takes the tiniest fraction of workload and effort of a real add-on.

Real expansions still exist though.

Last edited:

Fbh

There's still plenty of SP DLC.
I guess re-releases have become more popular because you can sell those to everyone while DLC is only for people who already own the game (even if you make it standalone, it's probably going to be less appealing to people who haven't played the core game).

But still, you've got Resident Evil, Monster Hunter Rise just recently got some major DLC, Ghost of Tsushima had DLC, FF7 Remake had DLC, Ubisoft seems to consistently release big DLC for their core franchises like Assassins Creed and Far Cry, Outer Wilds got an awesome DLC that almost felt like a half sequel. And I'd be surprised if Elden Ring doesn't get any DLC after the massive success it gotl

ZoukGalaxy

"OP plays only MP games and complaint about no SP DLC games"
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

More, seriously, there plenty of SP DLC. Too much sadly, you should... open your eyes buddy ?
Tired Wake Up GIF by Working Title

TLOU got a remake and now it looks like HZD might get one and I wonder what the point is. Both of these games had good quality SP DLC and so did RDR and GTA IV.

Nowadays we have no DLC for games like RDR2, HFW and TLOU2 even though all these games would benefit greatly from it. GTA V should have had it as well.

Are devs that lazy that instead of adding on to their games in interesting and creative ways they just rehash what is already there with new bells and whistles?

Long story short, the free market has decided the issue. Allow me to elaborate.

First, look at the trophy/achievement rates for completion of single player games. They're pathetic. Very few people finish single player games. Looking at Sony's big three single player games, 47% finished God of War 2018, 40% finished The Last of Us PS4 Remaster, and 32% finished Horizon Zero Dawn. The majority of gamers just drop single player games part way through, sometimes before even beating the first boss/level (Bloodborne, Father Gascoigne, 45% achieved). So if people aren't sticking around for the core game, what do you think the attach rate are for paid DLC months after release? In a lot of games, it just doesn't make fiscal sense. Granted, all of my examples have been available on PS Plus, so the trophy percentages have probably skewed downward due to PS+ users trying them for 15 minutes and then dropping them, but I can speak from experience, that before Bloodborne hit PS+, the Gascoigne trophy was barely above 50%, so it didn't skew downward that much.

Second, Gen Z is obsessed with cosmetic microtransactions and have spoken with their (parents') wallets. They throw cash left, right, and center at character and weapon skins. GTA, Fortnite, Genshin, etc. are among the most profitable games in existence because of MTXs.

So, taking the above, does it make sense to dump tons of time and cash into the develop of large scale DLCs that might sell a few thousand copies at $20 a pop or make lots of easy to design and program MTXs that millions of teens will buy at $2 or $3 a pop?

Top Bottom