• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do video game consoles exist?

Topher

Gold Member
Consoles exist because a dedicated custom gaming hardware is what's best for gaming.

Spiderman already running an open world with RT at 60 fps dynamic 4K on a $399 PS5 kinda shows it's the way to go vs general purpose non dedicated hardware.

"Best for gaming" is subjective. For me, the "way to go" is on PC. Doesn't mean I won't play on console, but I prefer PC for a variety of reasons. I agree there is certainly a better value aspect with consoles in the initial hardware purchase for most. But that isn't always the case. I'm going to own a PC regardless. So the difference between a non-gaming PC and a gaming PC can be as log as the cost of a console.

Brute

I've got a gaming rig (ugh I can't believe I just used that word), Xbox Series X, PS5 and a Nintendo Switch.

I spend 90% of my gaming time split between Series X and PS5. Why? Because I like sofa gaming, I don't want to be sat at the desk in my home office. I like nice graphics (who doesn't?) but ultimately it's all about having fun.

I grew up on Atari, Nintendo and SEGA and I'll always prefer console gaming to PC. And millions of other people feel the same way I'd guess?

I hate this 'PC Master Race' thing. It's for kids - or 40 year old Neckbeards - who think it's impressive having the latest graphics cards. That stuff just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Consoles market hasn't been much bigger and more popular to tne point that Xbox one selling 50 million consoles is considered a failure.
Back in mid 2000s, the original xbox was considered a big success for selling 30 million units.
Now, PS5 alone is expected to sell 30% more than PS4. Probably more.
The prediction of consoles dying is baseless as the actual numbers are showing big growth.

MacReady13

Lag is constantly improving. It'll improve to a point where players don't notice the difference.

I have a preference to buy physical albums. The market doesn't care about our individual preferences.

It isn't only lag, it is also the fact you will never own your games. How can people be happy just renting games on a service? I really despise going onto Netflix and seeing a film I love getting ready to leave... Why do I need to put up with that? Why can't I just watch what I want when I want? Well, I can! I have physical media! Much like my games. I don't have to worry about Microsoft removing games from Game Pass to play them in a hurry and risk losing them forever.

Brute

I don't know why console gaming irritates so many PC fanboys so much - and I genuninely mean that, I literally don't know. Or understand. It's weird. Just enjoy your PC gaming and leave the console peasants to enjoy their games.

The thing is, some damn good studios make games for console and then bring them to PC now. So it's healthy to have the best of both worlds. It's a moot point anyway - console gaming "disappearing" or whatever. Look at the PS5 sales. The demand is incredibly high. The Switch sold millions and everyone said Nintendo were not going to be around for much longer.

I'm glad I've got a decent PC for playing some of the quirky games on Steam. But for the big releases I tend to always buy them on PS4/5 and Xbox One/Series X - mainly for the simplicity of everything I guess. I use a PC for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with work. I kind of want to get away from the thing in my spare, chill time.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know why console gaming irritates so many PC fanboys so much - and I genuninely mean that, I literally don't know. Or understand. It's weird. Just enjoy your PC gaming and leave the console peasants to enjoy their games.

The thing is, some damn good studios make games for console and then bring them to PC now. So it's healthy to have the best of both worlds. It's a moot point anyway - console gaming "disappearing" or whatever. Look at the PS5 sales. The demand is incredibly high. The Switch sold millions and everyone said Nintendo were not going to be around for much longer.

I'm glad I've got a decent PC for playing some of the quirky games on Steam. But for the big releases I tend to always buy them on PS4/5 and Xbox One/Series X - mainly for the simplicity of everything I guess. I use a PC for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with work. I kind of want to get away from the thing in my spare, chill time.

Well....the irritating banter goes both ways from what I've seen and yeah, it really is senseless. I do enjoy owning consoles for their exclusives. But my home office is kind of my personal gaming den so that's where I game regardless if it is PC or console. It is just a matter of changing the input of my monitor. When I'm in my living room then I'm with my wife and I'm away from gaming entirely. Just works for me and that's really the goal for everyone....do what you like. Outside opinions on that are just irrelevant.

Brute

Well....the irritating banter goes both ways from what I've seen and yeah, it really is senseless. I do enjoy owning consoles for their exclusives. But my home office is kind of my personal gaming den so that's where I game regardless if it is PC or console. It is just a matter of changing the input of my monitor. When I'm in my living room then I'm with my wife and I'm away from gaming entirely. Just works for me and that's really the goal for everyone....do what you like. Outside opinions on that are just irrelevant.
Yes it does work both ways. I've just noticed it a lot from PC Gamers of late probably because of the PS5 and Series X releases and the PC guys trying to stamp their authority on everything. I find it all petty but whatever, I should just ignore it.

Like you say, outside opinions don't effect what I enjoy doing.

Lister

Banned
Nah bruh you will be barely playing at 1080p and won't probably reach 60 fps. Most PC gamers act like they have a 3090 since day one when they actually have lower specs than consoles.

I'm gonna play Cyberpunk 2077 on my PS5 in 4k and 60 fps.

Hey, Hey Arthimura, how you enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k 60 FPS on your PS5?

Cyberpunk 2077 currently looks really bad on PS5

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

BTW you asked for benchies. I'm getting a pretty solid 60 FPS with all setting son medium, which, judging by screenshots of the console version is already higher settings than the consoles, and some upscaling with fidelityCas 80% to 100% at ultra wide 3440x1440p.

As I predicted, I'm getting a better experience with a nearly half decade old GPU than you are with your new console.

Heh, and as much as I'm poking fun at you, yes, you will be enjoying a much better experience when the native patch hits next year. Don't know when I'll have the spare cash for a new 3080.

Arthimura

Hey, Hey Arthimura, how you enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k 60 FPS on your PS5?

Cyberpunk 2077 currently looks really bad on PS5

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

BTW you asked for benchies. I'm getting a pretty solid 60 FPS with all setting son medium, which, judging by screenshots of the console version is already higher settings than the consoles, and some upscaling with fidelityCas 80% to 100% at ultra wide 3440x1440p.

As I predicted, I'm getting a better experience with a nearly half decade old GPU than you are with your new console.

Heh, and as much as I'm poking fun at you, yes, you will be enjoying a much better experience when the native patch hits next year. Don't know when I'll have the spare cash for a new 3080.
The thread you linked looks like a shitpost to me.

But whatever, have fun playing on medium without RT.

After work i'm gonna see with my own eyes how the game looks on PS5, if i conclude it looks good enough i might starting playing it. But i'm thinking about waiting for the next gen patch, i don't want to have the same experience the PC plebs are having with their 10 and 20 series, and OG PS4/Xbox one owners.

(i'm joking, i don't think PC gamers and OG console owners are plebs, people should have fun with whichever hardware they have, but i do care about having a good experience)

After playing Miles Morales and seeing the difference RT does, i'm not sure i want to experience Cyberpunk 2077 without RT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom