• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do some successful franchises have to die for new ip’s to take off?

Umbasaborne

Banned
I was thinking about Killzone, infamous, and Jak & Daxter. Its definitely fair to say that those franchises died so that their home studios could make new and often more successful ip’s.

Guerrilla is the horizon company now, naughty dog is the last of us/uncharted (maybe?) company now, and sucker punch isnt big enough to try to keep two franchises going at once.

While kill zone and infamous definitely weren't as mega successful as horizon zero dawn, or Ghosts of Tsushima, the games still sold well enough and had dedicated fans.

I don't understand why Sony cant keep these franchises in rotation. Maybe another developer can work on them, like sanzaru did with sly cooper (rip).

Im happy to see the last of us, horizon, and ghosts become successful franchises, I'm just sad we had to lose quite a few to let that happen.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Money.
Games are not a charity. If you want more of that guy, let people buy them alot.

A lot of good games have been lost on time, because they don't make money or are not attractive to the consumers.
I get what your saying. Also, Spiderman is good, but to me its not a suitable super hero replacement for infamous. Infamous has so much more player choice, and a way more interesting power set to play with. So i hope sony isnt thinking “oh now that we have spiderman, theres no need for infamous”

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Nintendo stopped doing mario games in 2D after Super Mario World on SNES. If they felt the need to stop a series of games that was so successful by all metrics, games that they proved that they could create again to great sales a decade later ( the new super mario games); then it was inevitable. Nintendo abandonned a series of games that worked well. As for Sony IP, they had no choice in some cases. Crash Bandicoot was not in their control. Infamous got 3 games so i can understand if the studio wanted something else. I would love another Infamous game. But I do not trust any studio to do it well. Look at how people are afraid about the MGS 3 Remake, and imagine that with a new game for a new generation. TLOU was a demand from the studio and it "supplanted" Uncharted, who by all means concluded pretty well, and with a great DLC after that. I fear that Ratchet&Clank will not have another game, as I love this series and think that Sony want more from Insomniac. But give the IP to another studio? Hard to see as few have the talent and the time to do it justice.

Why do great series have to die for new IP to be created? Because you need to learn to walk before you can run. And some IP does not have the same potential than others. Even if as you have said they still have their fans.
And with AAA games making more and more time to be made it will be even worse soon.

feynoob

Banned
I get what your saying. Also, Spiderman is good, but to me its not a suitable super hero replacement for infamous. Infamous has so much more player choice, and a way more interesting power set to play with. So i hope sony isnt thinking “oh now that we have spiderman, theres no need for infamous”
Maybe because of this.

Shortly after the development of Second Son, Sucker Punch would begin work on inFamous: First Light, a prequel to Second Son, and releasing in 2014 a few months after Second Son. It stars one of the major characters of Second Son – “Fetch”, a human with superpowers who has been captured by the US government force that is hunting people like her. A great deal of the game is Fetch recounting her story to the lead antagonist of Second Son, leading up to the introduction scene of Second Son. The game released to modestly positive reception on average – for the most part, the character of Fetch is well-liked, but the title is also seen as a “more of the same” inFamous title, with issue being taken also with the game’s perceived lack of difficulty.

The game stayed its welcome for too long.

I was thinking about Killzone, infamous, and Jak & Daxter. Its definitely fair to say that those franchises died so that their home studios could make new and often more successful ip’s.

Guerrilla is the horizon company now, naughty dog is the last of us/uncharted (maybe?) company now, and sucker punch isnt big enough to try to keep two franchises going at once.

While kill zone and infamous definitely weren't as mega successful as horizon zero dawn, or Ghosts of Tsushima, the games still sold well enough and had dedicated fans.

I don't understand why Sony cant keep these franchises in rotation. Maybe another developer can work on them, like sanzaru did with sly cooper (rip).

Im happy to see the last of us, horizon, and ghosts become successful franchises, I'm just sad we had to lose quite a few to let that happen.

They’d rather sit on a franchise than to tarnish it with a developer who isn’t capable and then not have a chance to do it in the future. You see that happen a lot with reboots.

Also most developers want to work on their own ip or something new. As gamers we’re tied to things like Jak and Daxter, but I bet half the people who work on Naughty Dog had nothing to do with that game, if not significantly more than half.

What dev studio really wants to do Jak 4? A franchise that already has a diminished fan base at its peak and that was decades ago. What happens when that game fails?

SHA

I'm actually thinking about the same thing, it's the community and journalists, every word they said or wrote matters to them, you can't just say stuff and think they'll forget like it's just another day, that's not the case with the creators and artisans, they take every opinion seriously even if you're the same person who changed his mind back and forth, they understand you from both sides.

Killer8

People get tired of the same thing over and over again. That's not just related to gameplay either, it can be due to the setting or characters overstaying their welcome. Some series do stand the test of time, but even in decades old franchises there is always some level of reinvention going on. The ones that don't adapt, die out.

Woopah

Because there are a limited number of developers, and games are taking longer and longer to make. Especially for companies like Sony and Nintendo who have been around for decades, its not possible to support every IP they have ever published.

SeraphJan

As much as I like GoT, I am not happy that it was at the cost of Infamous, but I guess the studio could only work at one game at a time?

Especially consider how making pretty graphic is expensive, gamer are very demanding at that

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Franchises that stick around too long often outstay their welcome. Sunsetting IPs is a good thing. People fondly remember the IPs in the OP because they quit before fatigue set in. Some of the best loved IPs quit before they were even done. Consider the contrast with Assassin's Creed, Halo, etc.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Okami never got a sequel because it didn't sell well

Even Kamiya said that if people wanted a sequel, they needed to buy more copies.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You can only make so many games with the money you have. And having two cannibalizing each other’s sales isn’t very wise.
And then, when the time is right and you have some studio to give the dirty work to, you will remaster your previous successful IPs or male new games based on them.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not enough developers to work on both franchises simultaneously. Studios would have to be tripled/quadrupled in size.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

I feel your pain op and it sucks. I’m a big fan of both Infamous and Killzone. Even if they made new games now it would be done externally or by the b teams.

As much as I like GoT, I am not happy that it was at the cost of Infamous, but I guess the studio could only work at one game at a time?

Especially consider how making pretty graphic is expensive, gamer are very demanding at that
I really enjoyed Infamous/2/Festival of Blood, but if we needed a break from that to end up with Ghost of Tsushima, which I'm playing right now, I'm ok with that. Tsushima is an amazing game, wasn't expecting this experience.

Last edited:

amigastar

Money.
Games are not a charity. If you want more of that guy, let people buy them alot.

A lot of good games have been lost on time, because they don't make money or are not attractive to the consumers.
I wish we would get a new Thief game. Idk how well the last one sold.

T0minator

New IPs are greed?
OP, devs just want to move on and that's it.
Exactly, studios dedicating 6+ years of their lives on a single game gets them to think of spending another 6 on something fresh and new for themselves.
Killzone and Infamous were both franchises that the dev teams dedicated over a decade to, Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima will be replaced by new IP by the end of this generation, most likely

diffusionx

Gold Member
These studios do not have unlimited time, resources, and money. They need to make choices about what they want to work on, and creative people usually do not want to work on the same thing over and over. A new console generation is the perfect time to start fresh/ Sure a company could go on a hiring spree to set up a new team to keep making game XYZ, but it's still not the original team, it's just a bunch of people operating with the same name in front of the building. Maybe it works out, but honestly probably not.

Top Bottom