• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people today have bad tastes in gaming?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It is not about creating controversy.

Simply previously, videogames had and still have many very interesting stories and topics.

What I don't understand at the moment is the trend of games that are garbage are more popular.

I will give an example

or

Very excellent games and with too good gameplay.

But people like this piece of shit.

or Games with excellent Story

and people prefer crap like this

or shit like this.

or Worst case

Gamers enjoy games like

and people "Gamer" play this shit

and the final worst thing

and prefer this piece of shit

Last edited:
d33.jpg

Get over yourself dude. Enjoy the weeb shit you're always posting and let others enjoy what they enjoy.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
It is not about creating controversy.

Simply previously, videogames had and still have many very interesting stories and topics.

What I don't understand at the moment is the trend of games that are garbage are more popular.

I will give an example

or

Very excellent games and with too good gameplay.

But people like this piece of shit.

or Games with excellent Story

and people prefer crap like this

or shit like this.

or Worst case

Gamers enjoy games like

and people "Gamer" play this shit

and the final worst thing

and prefer this piece of shit

I feel like all the games you listed are shit. Wrong word, not my cup of tea if you will but it shows you that people have different preferences which is fine.

Tetris is bad now?

I'm no fan of fortnite, neither am I a fan of the games you like... but I would not say that they're bad games, just not for the elite players like me, the ones with the right tastes.

Older games are better:
engineering reverse GIF

pac man GIF

The rest is hipster non sense!

This applies to games, movies, music, cars, women... it's called having a different opinion on what's good and what's not.

Delete this. Worst thread in quite a while.

What? Leave this thread open. In fact, sticky it for posterity so we can come back and laugh at what has to be the douchiest topic in a long time.

"Everyone who doesn't like my weeb games that I like have bad taste in games" the thread.

Kuranghi

Think of these games as the equivalent of a social gathering, they aren't like how games used to be 10 years ago. They have a completely different focus, ie social interaction and constant engagment vs. world building, depth and immersion. I don't like it either but its not like we don't get games like the latter still.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Think of these games as the equivalent of a social gathering, they aren't like how games used to be 10 years ago. They have a completely different focus, ie social interaction and constant engagment vs. world building, depth and immersion. I don't like it either but its not like we don't get games like the latter still.

Guys you are right...

Delete this thread....

Is not intentional....

Guilty_AI

As it was said, a huge part of the industry nowadays profits more from the social aspect of games than the games themselves.

Thats true even for completely SP games, where people buy and play those games at release more for the sake of being part of the fuss rather than interest for the game itself, which leads to a lot of the effort being put into superficial stuff like visuals, easter eggs & small details within the game (so people can go on social media and say "LOOK WHAT I FOUND GUYS"), marketing/hype, among other things.

Well, not like all hope is lost. We still have plenty of AA/Indies focusing on being actual good games that can be played whenever and still be enjoyable.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gaming is growing more mainstream, and that will kind of inevitably mean more people with mediocre taste also play games. Journalists have gotten worse over time and even though they are looked down upon, they shape the tastes of many people and kind of push the larger industry narratives about most games.

I'm still pretty happy with what's available though, so I have nothing to complain about really. But those are the main things I would see changing over time.

I think it'll change even more in the future when people growing up now on mobile phones get older. Things change.

Spacefish

I don't know if this is actually true but it certainly will be. Declining taste or a generational amnesia is a very real problem in games because (compared to any other media) its relatively difficult to access old games and classics. There are physical barriers of hardware generations and exclusivity but also an inherent dislike of old graphics among the general population. Every successive generation of kids will be more and more isolated from touchstone games, it also doesn't help that the AAA industry is now creatively bankrupt and solely focused on monetisation which is all a significant portion of the younger audience will ever know.

Kuranghi

Guys you are right...

Delete this thread....

Is not intentional....

Nah don't listen to Chris Farley, you've got a right to air your opinions but you should try to understand why people like these games. I know it feels like games but with none of the qualities you personally consider to be what makes games good (and that by which people used to measure games quality) but as i said in my post its a different thing.

Its not about mastering challenges with a high level of skill its about having fun with your friends regardless of how rote/shallow the actual gameplay may be. I know that sounds like I'm meaning its "bad gameplay" but I don't mean that at all, its just not the main focus of the game.

Like how you can have a game where there is no engaging gameplay and it kinda completes itself, but the graphics/animation/story etc is so visually engaging and mentally stimulating that you like it anyway. This is just that but with social interaction replacing the things you'd normally look for in a game.

I would ask though what you don't like about Tetris, its not a game I personally ever got into but I understand why people love it. Is it the flashy graphics taking over from the pure logic puzzle element of it?

Blond

Banned
This is one of the most try hard post I’ve seen on gaming in a while. You want a controversial post SO bad.

Fbh

It's a side effect of gaming continuously becoming more widespread and mainstream. Popular stuff is usually inherently bland because it's designed to be appealing to as many people as possible.
As a hobby becomes more mainstream you'll also get more people who are only casually into it and that want to play things which are simple and fun.

I wouldn't really call among us and Fortnite shit though. I'm also not sure why you'd compare 2 multiplayer games with some famously challenging and hardcore single player character action game like Ninja Gaiden

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Look at Riders Republic, I saw previews and thought "this plays itself and looks boring because there is absolutely no challenge", enter EZA's preview from an hour ago, Brandon Jones loves it BECAUSE its super easy and rewards you for minimal effort. He talks about accessability changes that make it more fun and I agree but it goes too far imo and it ends up being the equivalent of a childrens toy where I can't stay engaged for a long time. I certainly don't get immersed when I feel like I'm not doing anything to win the game in a racing game of all things - to me the point of a racing game is anticipating turns and the like, in RR you can turn on a dime and if you land even 90 degrees off angle you will still be fine, thats too far imo.

He's a few years older than me but he's always preferred games style over substance so he fits right in with the current mainstream gaming. His idea of a great time in a game is discovering the most thematically cool way to do things and then doing that over and over until he's done with the game, regardless of whether there is more depth to the game he likes to do what is easiest most of the time from what I've seen.

I definitely do that in some games but I tend to prefer exploring all aspects of a game and thats the point of Fortnite and Among Us they don't want to offer too much choice to the player, because that confuses and scares casual players.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE="Phunkydiabetic, post: 264436193, member: 743011"]
I just realized this fuckin guy is saying Tetris is shit. Tetris

1567879685233.gif

And he has the balls to harp on others for having "bad tastes in gaming"? Would he be interested in Tetris if it featured big tittied young girls 2000 year old dragons with high pitched voices and terrible dialog?

[/QUOTE]
I think you should reread the tipici with more attenzione if you believe that OT think Tetris Is shit...

HarryKS

Because it's the only thing they know. They grew up with it. This is why there's so many pussies born post 1999.

There are more games and more gamers, including many casuals who consume games the way they consume movies and music, i.e. they mostly stick to what's accessible and/or popular. There's nothing wrong with that per se, it's just what happens once something that was previously mostly restricted to an enthusiast audience gains popularity with the general public. I guess I can see it being a problem if all you play are AAA games, since these are the most likely to try and cater to a wider audience.

Once you leave the AAA bubble you'll find that games aimed at enthusiasts are not only alive and well, but more numerous than ever.

The only thing i noticed is that the people nowadays like excessively much story in their games while in the past "Oh, Mario please save me" was enough story for most. Guess people today are just lazy, so they like watching hours and hours of videos/scripted scenes instead of actually playing. Same reason why more and more people are going go for digital: They don't have to move to switch the disc.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Gaming is maturing and people harken back to it's infancy because they liked being 10 years old.

Most old games are garbage. The reason why we don't get those types of games today is because we're moving past overly simplistic and repetitive game design that asks the same one thing of the player. Those games are boring and can't compete in a market that's grown significantly more sophisticated.

Klik

Everyone has different taste and interest for games. Personally i would never play games any magic games(except Heroes and might and magic 3, that was a masterpiece) like dota, lol or Japanese type of games like persona, hades, metal gear rising or whatever. No offence but i wanna puke when i see the gameplay😅

On the other hand i get a boner when i see games like GT sport, Battlefield, Last of Us, Dirt Rally, GTA, RDR, Uncharted..

Kuranghi

I mean, Marvel movies are the highest grossing box office films right now, can anyone say any of them really hold a candle towards films from the past in terms of the metrics by which we usually measure films? Ie cinematography, direction, acting quality, the script, the dialogue and so on.

I'm not blaming the actors, they can only work with what they are given and the marvel movies contain lots of actors who do an amazing job elsewhere.

Three

Mobiles took over. Look at most of your comparisons and you will see they are popular because they were mobile games even if they were not as immersive or as visually stunning as some console game.

Nah don't listen to Chris Farley, you've got a right to air your opinions but you should try to understand why people like these games. I know it feels like games but with none of the qualities you personally consider to be what makes games good (and that by which people used to measure games quality) but as i said in my post its a different thing.

Its not about mastering challenges with a high level of skill its about having fun with your friends regardless of how rote/shallow the actual gameplay may be. I know that sounds like I'm meaning its "bad gameplay" but I don't mean that at all, its just not the main focus of the game.

Like how you can have a game where there is no engaging gameplay and it kinda completes itself, but the graphics/animation/story etc is so visually engaging and mentally stimulating that you like it anyway. This is just that but with social interaction replacing the things you'd normally look for in a game.

I would ask though what you don't like about Tetris, its not a game I personally ever got into but I understand why people love it. Is it the flashy graphics taking over from the pure logic puzzle element of it?

Hey now, I never said to delete this thread. In fact I made the case for this thread to remain open. He has every right to air his opinion.

Kataploom

Gold Member
IDK either... how can people play RDR2? That shit is western based, which is boring AF... if only they knew my tastes, they knew what a good game really is... Like that DmC I've been playing recently

/s

Top Bottom