• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people eat lobster?

Susurrus

Crab >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lobster

Admittedly I haven't had fresh lobster at a fancy place, but now that I live closer to where lobster is big on the US eastcoast....might have to give it ago, especially if I visit more north than where I am (DC).

Ever have Alaska King Crab during the summer in Anchorage? Boy I tell ya whut......I need that in my life again.

lock2k

Banned
dunno, crab is better

6khIPNY5R0U31lXIX4QO6plLe0Nw1iGkCYFVFIkIXgvu6GBjwpzwlISjB99UIkcy8Br6_wk_3hkT83kbFMGdNbjgRmzCqGSFFBk=w443-h332

deafmedal

Lobster tail is good when prepared well but I generally prefer lobster in dishes- love lobster bisque and that one joint in MD had a fantastic lobster pot pie. Crab is better though. And jumbo gulf shrimp.

Durask

Well, let's refresh our knowledge of the Old Testament.🤲

9 “These you may eat, of all that are in the waters. Everything in the waters that has fins and scales, whether in the seas or in the rivers, you may eat.
10 But anything in the seas or the rivers that does not have fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is detestable to you.
11 You shall regard them as detestable; you shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall detest their carcasses.
12 Everything in the waters that does not have fins and scales is detestable to you.

teezzy

Banned
Shrimp > Lobster > Crab

Shrimp is probably the only one I genuinely like. Lobster always sounds like this amazing “treat yo self” thing but I always end up remembering I’m not a fan.

I also have a gutter palette for what it’s worth. I’d rather eat a great meatloaf, some BBQ brisket from Central Texas, or a perfectly crispy piece of chicken fried chicken over a high dollar steak for instance.

Meatloaf is so good too though. Dear lord

teezzy

Banned
I enjoy it, but I cook my own. Fuck paying $50 for Surf n Turf when I can make it much better for $10.

A $100 sous vide machine is a godsend. You will never blow money at a steak house once you get one, especially if you cross the Rubicon of dry aging your own steaks.

Teach me your ways, Mr. Pork.

I have $50 in Amazon credit rn

BigBooper

Marketing mostly nowadays. Good video on it.

I don't care for it myself, or most of the other various chewy seafoods that people forever say you just didn't have a good version of it, even if you eat a piece from their plate that they love and you still think it's chewy. Lobster, crab, muscles, shrimp, squid, octopus, clams are all on the chewy foods list that I'd rather avoid mostly. I do get clam chowder and shrimp occasionally though.

Last edited:

epicnemesis

King crab legs are better but I love lobster. I always assumed they are expensive because of how arduous it is to catch them. (I know nothing about the catching technique, just assuming it’s tough)

Fun fact, in Nigeria shrimp is more expensive than lobster (and fucking massive.) Also I would pick a Nigerian lobster over a Maine or Floridian variety. So good.

I need to get a fishing license so I can bag a few lobster the next time I go scuba diving.

Teach me your ways, Mr. Pork.

I have $50 in Amazon credit rn
Christ it's hard to visit any actual website on my phone without the apps insisting on popping up.

Anyway, type 'Anova Nano' into Amazon, that's the machine itself. It's currently $99, and the cheapest sous vide that I'd trust as worth buying. Then type 'Sous Vide Everything' into Youtube, and get ready to fall down a rabbit hole.

Love all shellfish - i will say crawfish are just not worth the picking for amnt of meat imo.

i think id rank my favorites as

blue claws, maine lobster, king crab, shrimp/prawns, then stone crab or snow crab - cant decide.

Im no antishellfite like some people here it seems though...

Top Bottom