• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people believe the PS5 is SO expensive?

I think Sony knows the PS5 won’t be near as successful as it could be at $600, especially when “I think” they said they wanted to achieve something like 150 million PS5’s sold in 5 years or maybe lifetime and we’re in the middle of a pandemic. That’s not going to happen at $600, sorry. It could sell well at first, but eventually the sales will probably slow down significantly.

Another problem is, despite their mistakes and misfortunes Microsoft will most likely have a lot of the same software as Sony and a more powerful console. Casuals who dominate the market will see the price discrepancy and the handful of games they want to play and it could be a harder sell for Sony.

Yeah, I do think $600 could very well happen, but realistically if they want to to maintain their momentum and mindshare, it will have to be $499 at most generously speaking. I’m going with $399/449 digital and $499 physical.

sobaka770

Banned
Usually the expensive things are custom designs and PS5 has a number of custom components. It might be very much cheaper to pay for Xbox Series X extra processor and GPU stuff to AMD because it's just scaling up tech rather then printing custom designed circuits for audio, SSD etc..
Also PS5 box looks like it's made of much more premium plastic (no matter the design sensibilities) and these little things do add up. We will know soon enough I guess.

The rumors started with xbox is more expensive/powerful, ps5 is more expensive/powerful , devs said the same thing and then most of them bet on the ps side , if you look into the design details you'll find that the xbox is just a normal pc with generic parts putted together in one piece , the ps5 is different cause it's sony and if you are a gamer from the beginning like the most of us you will understand what I mean, Sonys hardware used to be more advanced cause they take risks despite their innovative and creative minds they make gambles for the greater good and it always pays off in the final product, they just can't go small in the business.

Alx

I figured the whole reason the all digital sku exist is to hit the $499 price range.

I predict 499/549 or 499/599. I think the people hoping for 399/499 are being wishful (but would be cool to be wrong on that)

yeah the DE is probably meant to soften the blow of an otherwise expensive console. It’s likely Sony had options for a 500+ console, only now that they know where MS stands (taking their own losses on hardware), they may want to target the same price.
Only a few days left and we’ll know, but my bet is on $499.

Pagusas

Elden Member
yeah the DE is probably meant to soften the blow of an otherwise expensive console. It’s likely Sony had options for a 500+ console, only now that they know where MS stands (taking their own losses on hardware), they may want to target the same price.
Only a few days left and we’ll know, but my bet is on $499.

I think its also worth noting that there is no way their will be a 299 ps5, so why bother with the 399 price? There is nothing to gain there. If you have a 499 system in the digital only, then people will get to choose between the X and the Ps5 digital, most will pick the Ps5 due to the software exclusives and mind share. having a 399 sku doesnt help sony at all really in terms of market compitition. People that are super budget drive will get a Switch or Seires S. People who arent wont be swayed from a PS5 if its the same cost as the X.

There is no reason for Sony to care about the 399 tier right now. and by staying out of it, they give them selves price cut room for the future

Last edited:

geordiemp

Most dont think this, its just a proportion of the community spreading the usual FUD.

Its a pointless exercise and no idea why, sony set the price of ps5, MS of XSX, guessing high or low makes no difference what so ever.

reinking

Gold Member
And there is the waiting game. And their talk about value in the video.

And BTW, I was really surprised by the Xbox pricing. Would also have guessed it would cost 600-700€.
I have seen this point repeated and it is most likely taken out of context. Some people point to that meaning it will be more expensive than the coopeting console. More likely, it will be more expensive than the previous Sony console which was $399. This puts it in-line with the same price as the XB1X $499 price with the digital probably selling at a break even or bit lower cost.

I was not a big believer in the $100 price difference in the PS5 DE compared to the PS5. I am starting to think they might do that so they can still target a $399 console.

Alphagear

It will not be more expensive than the XSX.

The XSS only exists because the XSX is more expensive than PS5. Why would Microsoft release a budget console if their premium XSX is cheaper than the PS5?

Doesn't make sense.

BRZBlue

I have seen this point repeated and it is most likely taken out of context. Some people point to that meaning it will be more expensive than the coopeting console. More likely, it will be more expensive than the previous Sony console which was $399. This puts it in-line with the same price as the XB1X $499 price with the digital probably selling at a break even or bit lower cost.

I was not a big believer in the $100 price difference in the PS5 DE compared to the PS5. I am starting to think they might do that so they can still target a $399 console.

Honestly, I'm definitely feeling like they're shooting for $399 for digital. I think a lot of the custom work on the system was down with an eye towards scalability for manufacturing (like with the PS4) and for cost savings. We have a few days to see for sure.

RCU005

I figured the whole reason the all digital sku exist is to hit the $499 price range.

I predict 499/549 or 499/599. I think the people hoping for 399/499 are being wishful (but would be cool to be wrong on that)

This is all wrong!

If you are the CEO of Sony, and the President of SIE comes to you and say: "Sr! We had a great success with the PS4 selling 100 million units. The accessible price of $400, unlike the PS3, allowed us to build a strong brand, with great games and a huge instal base, SO I propose we make the PS5 VERY EXPENSIVE! Le's build a machine that even at $500 we will sell it at a loss!"

You would fire him right?

Just use a little bit of logic! The PS5 might sound impressive (of course that was intended, they are innovative), but that doesn't mean Sony will dare to build an expensive machine after the huge success they had. Mark Cerny would have been fired years ago!

They know they have to hit the $400 mark, that's why they came up with the PS5 DE.

I can understand and respect every point of view. It just that my brain makes a short circuit when people think the PS5 is going to be so expensive. (more than $500). It baffles me that people will believe and stand their ground on the belief that if Sony announces a $499 PS5, it's ONLY because they were trying to undercut Xbox, and not because they planned it all along (LIKE IT HAS TO BE IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO DESIGN AND BUILD A CONSOLE) (Caps for emphasis, not yelling).

Let see they said the PS5 has liquid metal cooling to deal with the jet engine noise from the PS4 and also the SSD tech is not cheap and also the PS5 controller looks to be expensive with all of the bell and whistle add it all together plus manufacturing and stuff add up it ain't cheap to make they are gone to take big loss on it if they plan to match Xbox Price.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
It's a real shame that people are't calling Sony out for not just revealing the damn price. They are toying with everyone.

THEAP99

Banned
because it has the most superior hardware for the next generation. the most "premium" for the premium console market if you say.

Hinedorf

Banned
giphy.gif

MrFunSocks

Banned
Microsoft are supposedly eating a decent loss on the X, and the PS5 is basically the same parts but with a more expensive SSD, bigger case, and more expensive cooling solution.

Yoda

The SSD isn't cheap and is tied to demand outside the game industry to an extent, but Playstation is Sony's golden goose, so changes are they'd take a loss to have price parity w/Microsoft.

Griffon

It's the same refrain every generation. Crazy high prices always get thrown around before the announcements.

Shmunter

State of the art, best in class usually costs more $.

It could just be better engineering with manufacture not being impacted - but that would be the outlier.

Top Bottom