• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Nintendo fans crave remakes/ports/remasters all the time?

Kokoloko85

I think it will be, but it will also be a VR stand alone system, similar to labo VR proof of concept.

I think a lot of the switch pro rumors we're hearing are being mixed up with switch 2.

Yeah sounds right. It will have to be either hybrid or a new innovation like Wii but VR/AR ( mind reading tech lol ) otherwise nintendo doesnt sell normal consoles very well since the snes.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah sounds right. It will have to be either hybrid or a new innovation like Wii but VR/AR ( mind reading tech lol ) otherwise nintendo doesnt sell normal consoles very well since the snes.
No I'm saying it'll be a handheld that can play on TV, and with VR.

Will be interesting to see if there's VR only games.

mcjmetroid

Its honestly infuriating. I some times head over to the nintendo forums and reddits and it feels like they keep talking about how bad they want a re release/make of old games. How about something new? You know what would be better than a re release of the metroid prime trilogy or a remake of metroid 2? How about a new fucking metroid game. You know what would be better than a re release of super mario 3d world, a new mario game in that style? It feels like my generation just clings on to the fucking past like there is no tomorrow. Monolithsoft could announced xenoblade 3 and many idiot zoomers and millenils would be like “BuT wHeRE Is X pOrT fOr SwItCh?!?!? ReEeEEeE!!!!”
This!!

This is what I mean... Well.. I didn't know resetera was bad for this to be honest though.

New games please!
I would still eat up a new IP from Nintendo or an ambitious sequel to an existing game.

I loved Breath of the Wild, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Odyssey.

There is always room for remakes and even ports but they need to feel balanced out with new releases.

Remember when the end of the Wii it felt like Nintendo weren't balancing their core games out with the casual games?

Well they're doing it again.. except with ports and remakes this time.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
This answer reads like someone's brain that is desperate to be right. I could have made other comparisons. Who buys the same toy twice for his kid ?

Paying the full price again to have the exact same experience... Preferring that a company invests money in doing the exact same thing again, instead of making something new...

Either people are dumb, or they are afraid of change.
If you could make a good comparison the first time, do it! Otherwise you were deliberately trying be a troll. This is another post that doesn’t know how to make a good comparison though, although it’s way better (and grounded without the trollish exaggeration) than the first. A matter of fact is, even with your dumb comparison, I personally would buy the same toy for my kids if they love that toy and don’t have access to it (eg. They lose it - we lost a stuffed animal on trip and now don’t have access to it, we rebought it). Now try to maneuver your dumb argument around my post.

mcjmetroid

I think it will be, but it will also be a VR stand alone system, similar to labo VR proof of concept.

I think a lot of the switch pro rumors we're hearing are being mixed up with switch 2.
Agreed here. It will be a Switch 2 I think.

Nintendo's rumours do tend to be the most inaccurate.

cireza

Banned
You'd have to imagine also that a lot of Nintendos software sales are coming from new customers who weren't around to play some of those older games.
This thread is about people asking for remasters/remakes, so obviously, people who have played the original.

People should either :
- keep their old hardware (it is much simpler than people want us to believe. I still have a CRT and my MegaDrive, it does not take much space at all)
- ask for proper backward compatibility features

In both cases, it would cost them 0$

It is particularly sad when we come from the Wii U, which was a great console, centered around the player, and offering a great services/features as well as great BC. Everything was scrapped with the Switch. Players lost so much in the transition.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Many people who play a remake have never played the original
Sure, take note that I haven't stated the opposite.

People who haven't played the original don't ask for remasters/remakes as they don't even know the game exists. This is common sense.

Last edited:

Meesh

Or... you know... some of the classic games they've made actually deserve to be remade based on their quality alone? Introducing new gamers to classics in a new Era, that would be my humble guess.
For example, proper console OoT or MM, perhaps Metroid, I'm sure someone on here has a laundry wish list.

mcjmetroid

This thread is about people asking for remasters/remakes, so obviously, people who have played the original.

People should either :
- keep their old hardware (it is much simpler than people want us to believe. I still have a CRT and my MegaDrive, it does not take much space at all)

In both cases, it would cost them 0$

It is particularly sad when we come from the Wii U, which was a great console, centered around the player, and offering a great services/features as well as great BC. Everything was scrapped with the Switch. Players lost so much in the transition.

There it is exactly.

I'm getting a lot of "NIntendo release the games again because people want to play them again or neveer played them before"
posts which is obvious.

It's how Nintendo are handling that side of things that bothers me and alot of other people in this thread.

The Switch is a new console and logically cannot play physical games from previous consoles, I get that. It's a handheld and a handhelds cannot play discs I get that.
But why shut down the entire WiiWare/ Virtual console service?

I was naive and thought Nintendo would put a better system in place eventually with the Switch.
Either eventually put a gamepass style service or have a more upgraded modern version of WiiWare/VC.

This is something NIntendo fans have asked for, I'm not saying they haven't... but it's not enough. Nintendo basically got away with blocking your previous purchases into a new generation.. Inexcuasable.
I know Sony did this with the PS4 as well in regards to PS3 games as well so I'm not excusing this either. But the PS4 was released a long time before the Switch, lessons should have been learnt here. I understand if the Switch cannot playWiiU games out the gate but the NES /SNES/N64 games people bought before etc?
Those purchases should have been brought over.

They got away with a lot here.

I'm happy a lot of people are happy with their Switch and I am too happy with my purchase overall.
You need to ask these questions though.

I mean how can you purchase a game on their digital store and have any peace of mind that you'll be able to play it on NIntendo's next system?

NinjaBoiX

It’s fun to re-experience things you loved dearly in the past; this is true with movies, music and TV shows too.

I’m currently replaying NFS Hot Pursuit with the remaster and it’s the most fun I’ve had on my PS4 in months.

oagboghi2

Sure, take note that I haven't stated the opposite.

People who haven't played the original don't ask for remasters/remakes as they don't even know the game exists. This is common sense.
I don't know what fantasy land you live in, but this is not true at all.

All you have to do is look at the reaction to FF7R or Master Chief Collection.

I think it's more of a business decision on behalf of Nintendo. I am fine with history taking our old games. I want new versions, and buy very few remakes.

I think Switch having so many Wii U games was just to capitalize on a system that most people missed.

Jermare

Neo Member
I only want remakes for games that probably won't get sequels (F-Zero X/GX, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Punch-Out!! Wii). What Nintendo's doing with Advance Wars is perfect.

Woopah

I only want remakes for games that probably won't get sequels (F-Zero X/GX, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Punch-Out!! Wii). What Nintendo's doing with Advance Wars is perfect.
I'm fine with using a remake to bring back Advance Wars, but I want them to follow it up with a new game from the same team (like they did with 2D Metroid).

Varteras

Gold Member
I wouldn't call myself a Nintendo fan but many of the games I see people asking this for are some of the best games ever made. Others are probably just never going to get a sequel so a remake, remaster, or port-up to a modern platform is what they settle for. Then you have situations like Xenoblade Chronicles X. A great JRPG, and one of the few notable Japanese mech games in recent memory, being relegated to a long dead console when nearly every other game of note that released for the WIi U has been ported to Switch. It's a damn shame. It deserves a second chance like the others got and Nintendo keeps dragging its feet on it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
because the switch is able to get some remakes so why not get some, even if they are from the 360/ps3 era with a new lick of paint or from a few years ago.. why not get more software ?

Intoxicate

One thing that's really annoyed me lately about Nintendo fans though is the constant call for remakes and ports. It seems to have become really bad over the past 4 or so years. I don't see this with Xbox, Playstation or PC gamers at all. Or not nearly as much.

It isn't just reddit posts or fan posts either it's the Nintendo channels salivating over the idea that we could get a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD or we could have a remake of this or a port of this or that. I find it really embarassing.

Anyone else feel the same?

Some grew up playing Nintendo games and they could only imagine how much better the genre can get. Then PlayStation happened and PC gaming. Some didn’t find the same enjoyment in those platforms, and didn’t like the directions taken with technology advantages.

It’s not about platforms but experiences. And Nintendo was quite innovative and provided the first timers. Revisiting your first time doing something as you remember it (remastered) is magic. I guess playing a modern game today is as thrilling for a kid these days as back then, but kids don’t post here and don’t ask for remasters. That’s us dinosaurs, and for me personally Nintendo was magic, the others mainly focused on racing/shooting and never felt focused on fun.

That’s what I dislike about Nintendo today. We get a Mario Party with missing boards, they indicate DLC in the game and don’t deliver. We get Mario Tennis/Golf and it’s cumbersome controls and just not fun. Rather then getting the next “new” developed game, I’d rather get waverace, f-zero as I enjoyed it.

Top Bottom