• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Nintendo fans crave remakes/ports/remasters all the time?

killatopak

Gold Member
The way I see it most people who wants a port or remake of PS/Xbox games just really want a proper update to the game. Like improving BB framerate or removing its stutter.

I’m not seeing that on Nintendo ports. It’s just straight ports. That’s the major difference I see between the consoles.

Other than that, I see everyone asking for remakes or ports.

ItsGreat

This industry is still new in the grand scheme of things. Nothing is set in stone, it's learning as it goes.

Vinyl, Cinema, CDs and DVDs are solid delivery systems that ARE set in stone for at least 10 years or more.

Consoles on the other hand change pretty much constantly, a developer will always have an eye on the next development environment and may never be able to give the current one it's full attention.

I think it's an industry looking for a way to be sustainable. The boom times are good but they're no good if you go bust afterwards.

So the remakes/remasters are an experiment at keeping the money rolling in so they can continue to develop in this continuously sprouting industry

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
nintendo-does-nothing-and-somehow-ends-up-on-top

Why do people pretend it is just Nintendo? Aren’t they about to be selling GTAV as new on the third consecutive console?
Exactly. The same could be said for the 1000th COD game which even had a few remasters and remakes, sports games or most popular franchises in general. Most gamers love playing the same games and franchises over and over again for some or peculiar reason.

Zannegan

The way I see it most people who wants a port or remake of PS/Xbox games just really want a proper update to the game. Like improving BB framerate or removing its stutter.

I’m not seeing that on Nintendo ports. It’s just straight ports. That’s the major difference I see between the consoles.

Other than that, I see everyone asking for remakes or ports.
A "proper update" is just improved framerate? That's a pretty low bar that even Nintendo consistenly clears. Hell, even the no-effort 3D All Stars port had that going for it. It's more or less just a function of increased hardware power.

Now that you mention it, I think Nintendo ports are much more likely to be enhanced in some way beyond graphics than games from the competition. Huh...

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Imagine buying a car or a house, and then, 10 years later, buying the exact same car or house at the exact same price.

killatopak

Gold Member
A "proper update" is just improved framerate? That's a pretty low bar that even Nintendo consistenly clears. Hell, even the no-effort 3D All Stars port had that going for it. It's more or less just a function of increased hardware power.

Now that you mention it, I think Nintendo ports are much more likely to be enhanced in some way beyond graphics than games from the competition. Huh...
It’s basically just a BC update. You don’t buy them AGAIN. Basically a just like what MS is doing with their BC games with framerate and resolution updates.

Also $60 for straight Nintendo port with minimum upgrade lol. Not even just restricted to first party. It seems they just know that Nintendo players love being abused so they jacked up the price of their own ports there too. $60 for the REmake and 0 compilation and 4/5/6. Lmao. I got those $10 and $20 respectively.

I dunno why you patronize this. Me, I just play the new games they made and not the ports. Not worth the asking price for the quality they introduce.

Zannegan

It’s basically just a BC update. You don’t buy them AGAIN. Basically a just like what MS is doing with their BC games with framerate and resolution updates.

Also $60 for straight Nintendo port with minimum upgrade lol. Not even just restricted to first party. It seems they just know that Nintendo players love being abused so they jacked up the price of their own ports there too. $60 for the REmake and 0 compilation and 4/5/6. Lmao. I got those $10 and $20 respectively.

I dunno why you patronize this. Me, I just play the new games they made and not the ports. Not worth the asking price for the quality they introduce.
Oh, I agree that Nintendo should lever its head from between its cheeks when if comes to digital BC. In fact, they should have maintained the Virtual Console and all digital purchases since the Wii, and they should be working on a PC client to allow their old games to be played there as well. Microsoft's approach to BC would be an excellent model.

My point was that your definition of a "proper update" justifying a port was pretty weak, even weaker than Nintendo's minimum, which I already think pretty paltry. Pots and kettles, basically.

As for what I patronize, I would hate to ONLY buy new games. There are some gems I like to replay on new hardware just like I like to reread favorite books or rewatch favorite movies. I've bought the same book in more than one format for a new experience (love Audible), and I've certainly bought Blurays and even 4K Blurays for movies I own on DVD.

That said, I don't like to buy remakes unless they're substantial, and I've passed on most of the re-releases on Switch, so you're preaching to the choir. =P

Last edited:
I think if every system was fully backward compatible it would resolve all these issues especially if it was MS style of a system wide hack that boosts resoultion and FPS but i think that's too expensive for Nintendo and Sony to ever consider.

The big problem for Nintendo if they went this route is the Wii, how in the hell are they going to do it? Are all future consoles going to come with an IR sensor?

Edit: and similarly the DS/3DS.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I will say this, whether Nintendo or otherwise, I think perhaps the reason folks want remakes and remasters (maybe not so much ports) has to do with the game(s) being so well made/lovable, they want to play a modernized version of it. Why don't they simply want another game in the series? Well, possibly because with a lot of series, they can often go downhill or be disappointing compared the game(s) they initially fell in love with.

Or something like that...

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Complete lack of backwards compatibility on Switch is the reason.

Most normal people don't want old systems cluttering up their living rooms.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Because Nintendo games aren't iterative like most franchises are. There is always features that one entry have that the next one doesn't, so asking for sequels is a double edge sword.

It's actually puzzling why Nintendo don't invest more in their legacy content, when they repeatedly stated their endeavors there were successful.

Arkam

Often for me it’s due to Nintendo’s game design aging much better than the tech. When you get the fundamentals right, it’s easy to slap on new paint.

In fact, (for me) it’s due to this timelessness of many Nintendo games that makes their rights management/Lack of BC that irritates me. Hate having to re-buy SMB3 every other Gen. Probably bought it 5 times at this point.

I wouldn't say I "crave" those games but I would say on reflection that those games are ones that give me what I want.

Skyrim, Dark Souls, Black Flag and 3D All Stars are easily my best gaming purchases in a long time. A lot of that is down to the handheld format where I feel like I can revisit classic games in a much more personal and flexible way. Playing a good game became like reading a good book.

There are so many amazing games from previous generations that could now potentially get a Switch release and if I could play them in handheld mode then I'd be all over that.

Its not just Switch. I got a PS5 at launch and there are a whole bunch of games I'd rather play again with upgrades before I'd be tempted by newer games. Returnal being my big main exception so far. Jeez, most of my playtime for the last 3 weeks or so has been Tony Hawk 1+2 on my PS5.

It's not just videogames. If someone paid to renovate my living room into a top class home theater with a great screen and sound system and really nice chairs then I'd be like "OK this week I will watch the original Star Wars Trilogy and then next week I'll do Lord of the Rings oh and Terminator 2 and definitely The Dark Knight and I absolutely must do Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones and have you ever seen Fight Club ooooh and we MUST watch Blade Runner."

You get the idea. :)

I mean, if there is ever a Switch Pro I will almost certainly be giving BotW a whole new playthrough.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I didn't like it because I played all the games before. But now I like it because I can play them on switch. I also hate it because I should be able to play the old games on the switch without needing to pony up for another copy.

They should port everything to switch and then keep switch compatibility, cart and eshop, moving forward.

mcjmetroid

playstation fans were literally nutting for demon souls and spiderman, and for final fantasy 7, and for shadow of the colossus and the possibility of metal gear and silent hill, and for that the last of us reremake, etc etc... the real hypocrites in gaming.
and let's discuss this point as well.
The response I'm seeing a lot is " But the others consoles do it too"

Ya the other consoles balance it out better with new games. and you absolutely never see xbox or playstation fans lose their minds over a straight port from a previous console. I'm not saying again it doesn't happen but you're kidding yourself if it doesn't happen with Nintendo more than the other two consoles.

Will some you not not at least admit that ports are a problem with the Switch lineup?
What was Nintendo first party lineup last Christmas.?
Hyrule warriors: Age of calamity and Mario 3D World(Enhanced port), Mario 3d collection ( A collection of ports)
So for their big Christmas lineup they had... 2 straight port games and Hyrule Warriors..

And the thing with Nintendo is they'll advertise these port games as new releases like I mentioned before.

I'd love to see someone compile a list of remakes/remasters since the Switch released across all platforms. I'd bet that PS4/X1/PS5/XsX has more than the Switch.
PS4 and Xbox1 have been around longer so they'll probabbly have more but again they also have more NEW games to balance this out.

IKSTUGA

I love remakes and remasters. For example the new NieR Replicant 1. whatever, is one of the best things I've played in years. Without it I probably would have never been exposed to the amazing world of NieR.

Codes 208

Because its 90% what everyone does
Fixed that for ya. Because let’s be real, demon souls remake, halo anniversary (and master chief collection and Halo community constantly hammering 343i to add reach to the game), REmake 1-3, endless ports of RE4, MGS, GTA5, modern warfare 1-2, skyrim SE, endless bloodborne remake requests, dark souls remastered, TLoU:R, crash and Spyro remakes, handsome jack collection (BL1-TPS), Gears Anniversary, GoW3 remastered, fable anniversary, ratchet and clank remake, etc. the list goes on.

Updating/remastering/remaking an older port to an established series has been the go-to cash grab for many devs for a long time now.

hell, the reason why I bought a PS5 was for a remake

Last edited:

Woopah

and let's discuss this point as well.
The response I'm seeing a lot is " But the others consoles do it too"

Ya the other consoles balance it out better with new games. and you absolutely never see xbox or playstation fans lose their minds over a straight port from a previous console. I'm not saying again it doesn't happen but you're kidding yourself if it doesn't happen with Nintendo more than the other two consoles.

Will some you not not at least admit that ports are a problem with the Switch lineup?
What was Nintendo first party lineup last Christmas.?
Hyrule warriors: Age of calamity and Mario 3D World(Enhanced port), Mario 3d collection ( A collection of ports)
So for their big Christmas lineup they had... 2 straight port games and Hyrule Warriors..

And the thing with Nintendo is they'll advertise these port games as new releases like I mentioned before.

PS4 and Xbox1 have been around longer so they'll probabbly have more but again they also have more NEW games to balance this out.
I don't think anyone is saying that the 2020 holiday line up was great, it was completely shit. But we also recognise that Nintendo probably isn't the best company for transitioning to working from home. Other publishers are used to games being made by a range of studios from around the world, whereas a huge chunk of Nintendo's games are made in the same building.

The 2019 first party line up was great, the 2021 first half is solid. And that's me looking at just new games and not ports. The E3 Direct should give us a brighter look at the future.

mcjmetroid

I don't think anyone is saying that the 2020 holiday line up was great, it was completely shit. But we also recognise that Nintendo probably isn't the best company for transitioning to working from home. Other publishers are used to games being made by a range of studios from around the world, whereas a huge chunk of Nintendo's games are made in the same building.

The 2019 first party line up was great, the 2021 first half is solid. And that's me looking at just new games and not ports. The E3 Direct should give us a brighter look at the future.
No sorry, No covid excuses here. It's borderline pathetic and you seem like a nice guy but naive maybe.

Nintendo are a very large company and I would accept a few months delay for games as a hiccup, Maybe even 6 months but we are nearly 1 year after COVID and their output has been dismal. Like WiiU bad.

We keep getting threads on this very forum about the Switch breaking sales records, opening Theme Parks, announcing Mario movies etd and everything else except making new games.

You cannot tell me they could do all this but couldn't figure out how to work remotly?
The company that I work for managed it and they're certainy not Nintendo.

You gotta stop treating this company with kid gloves. They are more than capable to give you a AAA new game once every year just like Playstation do....

mcjmetroid

lol acting like it's just Nintendo fans
More Nintendo fans/media

Does anyone wanna find me an equivilant Playstation or Xbox article like this?

Let's do a simple Google search with the 3 current gen consoles. Let's " Ports you'd like to see and the console name" and let's see what consoles show up the most obvious port begging.

Google search:
WDaa4Xx.png

PS4:
T0a0o9o.png

Xbox 1:

z6fd87X.png

CASE CLOSED

Last edited:
You gotta stop treating this company with kid gloves.
Haha. What does this even mean?
Sure, I'll just fly on over to Kyoto and tell Nintendo off for... for what?

If they aren't making new games for me to buy then that's on them. Why would I actually even care?

The console is 4 years old at this point and there are loads of games. For people who bought one at the beginning they've probably got their moneys worth out of the system. For people just buying one now they have tons of games to chose from. For everyone in between it will probably be a bit of both to some degree.

What would you call that when someone is so hungry for more products that they are practically demanding them from the corporation? Like some kind of super-consumer?

I treat Nintendo the same way I treat any other company. If they have stuff I want then I buy it. If not then I don't really care. I'm not going to go nuts criticising them over it.

More Nintendo fans/media

Let's do a simple Google search with the 3 current gen consoles. Let's " Ports you'd like to see and the console name" and let's see what consoles show up the most obvious port begging.

Google search:
WDaa4Xx.png

PS4:
T0a0o9o.png

Xbox 1:

z6fd87X.png

CASE CLOSED
So it's basically just a stealth console wars thread?

Google "PlayStation remasters we want to see" or "PlayStation remakes we want to see".

CASE REOPENED

Last edited:
So that's a no then....

Hey most of the comments on this thread were people telling me.. "this exists in all fanbases"

And I'm trying to tell people... it does but not as much as Nintendo's fanbase.
So other fanbases do it too but Nintendo fanbase does it more and that's where you draw the line?

You can demand ports, remakes and remasters but just don't demand too many?

Hang on though. If Nintendo fans are demanding ports and remasters and Nintendo is giving them these things then where is the problem?

Thread is a bit weird.

Woopah

No sorry, No covid excuses here. It's borderline pathetic and you seem like a nice guy but naive maybe.

Nintendo are a very large company and I would accept a few months delay for games as a hiccup, Maybe even 6 months but we are nearly 1 year after COVID and their output has been dismal. Like WiiU bad.

We keep getting threads on this very forum about the Switch breaking sales records, opening Theme Parks, announcing Mario movies etd and everything else except making new games.

You cannot tell me they could do all this but couldn't figure out how to work remotly?
The company that I work for managed it and they're certainy not Nintendo.

You gotta stop treating this company with kid gloves. They are more than capable to give you a AAA new game once every year just like Playstation do....
I'm not excusing their lineup, I said it was shit. But I think it's naive to think that Nintendo's original plan for holiday 2020 was a Pikmin port and a Musou. It's clear there plans were changed by Covid and things got pushed back (for instance, they started 2020 by teasing Splatoon and we didn't even get an announcement until this year.

You say we get threads about everything except new games, but we've already got multiple new first party game announcements this year and E3 is in less than two months. To me it looks like Nintendo is getting back on track.

oagboghi2

So that's a no then....

Hey most of the comments on this thread were people telling me.. "this exists in all fanbases"

And I'm trying to tell people... it does but not as much as Nintendo's fanbase.
Yes this is a stealth console war thread. Who are you trying to fool?

The thesis of this thread was pointed out by Reality Czar Reality Czar to be bullshit in the first reply. It took you over a 100 replies to even start acknowledging what dozens of posters have already pointed out.

More Nintendo fans/media

Google search:
WDaa4Xx.png

PS4:
T0a0o9o.png

Xbox 1:

z6fd87X.png

CASE CLOSED
Fucking retarded. What does this prove? That journalists write top 10 lists?

mcjmetroid

So other fanbases do it too but Nintendo fanbase does it more and that's where you draw the line?

You can demand ports, remakes and remasters but just don't demand too many?

Hang on though. If Nintendo fans are demanding ports and remasters and Nintendo is giving them these things then where is the problem?

Thread is a bit weird.
My problem is the entire question at the thread title?
Why do Nintendo fans demand more ports than other fans?

Why is there an entire proud culture built around re-releases, port begging and remasters specifically in Nintrendo circles?

You saw the articles from nintendolife and other publications.
In Nintendo world you will see article like:
" WIIU games you'd like to see on Switch"
"Gamecube games you'd like to see ported over on Switch"

You constantly see stuff like this and you don't see half as much witrh the other consoles.

I'm a nostalgic Nintendo fan too and I love the older games but jeez don't you think it's too much sometimes?

mcjmetroid

Yes this is a stealth console war thread. Who are you trying to fool?

The thesis of this thread was pointed out by Reality Czar Reality Czar to be bullshit in the first reply. It took you over a 100 replies to even start acknowledging what dozens of posters have already pointed out.

Fucking retarded. What does this prove? That journalists write top 10 lists?
Translation: " I see console wars in my cornflakes"

oagboghi2

My problem is the entire question at the thread title?
Why do Nintendo fans demand more ports than other fans?

Why is there an entire proud culture built around re-releases, port begging and remasters specifically in Nintrendo circles?

You saw the articles from nintendolife and other publications.
In Nintendo world you will see article like:
" WIIU games you'd like to see on Switch"
"Gamecube games you'd like to see ported over on Switch"

You constantly see stuff like this and you don't see half as much witrh the other consoles.

I'm a nostalgic Nintendo fan too and I love the older games but jeez don't you think it's too much sometimes?
"A proud culture"...this thread. Holy shit 😂

So according to your "logic", when I said "I hope they port NMH1 and 2 before they release the third one," long ago I was engaging in a cultural practice?

I wasnt.... just wanting to play a game?

Translation: " I see console wars in my cornflakes"
Why didn't you search using the search term RedWhiteBlue suggested?

Last edited:
Top Bottom