• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Nintendo fans crave remakes/ports/remasters all the time?

mcjmetroid

A bit of a history about myself:
I'm what you might call a jaded Nintendo fan, bought the Switch and had 2 good years with it maybe 3. The last big game I bought for it was Animal Crossing New Horizons and will generally support Nintendo whenever I feel they put out a game with geniune effort put into it. I believe I also bought luigi's mansion 3 that year as well.
To clarify, I still think the Switch is a great system and on its own - exclusive software will still go down as a great system to me.

BUT

One thing that's really annoyed me lately about Nintendo fans though is the constant call for remakes and ports. It seems to have become really bad over the past 4 or so years. I don't see this with Xbox, Playstation or PC gamers at all. Or not nearly as much.

It isn't just reddit posts or fan posts either it's the Nintendo channels salivating over the idea that we could get a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD or we could have a remake of this or a port of this or that. I find it really embarassing.

I think Nintendo is going to have to change their strategy for their next console because chances are it will be backward compatible with the Switch and even if it wasn't, you cannot use the "give this game a second chance" argument because the Switch was a success unlike the WiiU.

My point is Nintendo fans should reasonably expect or demand new games but the fanbase is so beaten down over the years that a remake is better than nothing. I hope this changes in the coming years because it's getting difficult to be interested in Nintendo news these days.

Anyone else feel the same?

Ellery

At the end of the day I think this whole conversation is much more about accessibility than anything else.

I don't know why it is so hard for Nintendo/Playstation to just have decent BC and offer your games digitally.

I am convinced what most people (and by most I mean nearly everyone) wants would be new games, new IPs and accesibility to older games so they don't have to keep their old systems and have everything in one place.

I still believe there is place for remasters and remakes, but new games should always be the focus.

Meech64

Neo Member
Part of it is probably because of Nintendo's near draconian behaviour around its library of classic games. Unless you own all previous Nintendo consoles, some of its first party games, are near impossible to find for a reasonable price.

Plus, many people, myself included, haven't owned every Nintendo console, so I don't mind buying an HD port of a game I've never played before; however, I can see how it would be frustrating for someone who has already owned every previous Nintendo system/game.

Also, I don't think this is just a Nintendo issue, specifically. There are many HD ports for PlayStation and Xbox that sell extremely well, so there is definitely a demand for these types of games.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I dunno if it's specifically a Nintendo thing, but since they do have a great history when it comes to remakes and remasters (3DS Zelda, Wii U remasters with the second screen, Pokemon remakes), it makes sense people would want some of their favorites to get similar overhauls.

fart town usa

Gold Member
No one actually plays retro games, they just claim they do for the clout/likes. Pulling out the N64 is effort but porting Mischief Makers to Switch? 😍😍😍
Not so sure about that assessment. N64 hasn't aged well and most carts have dead batteries but PSX, PS2, Sega Saturn are all just as good now as they were then. I retro game probably 75% of the time and it's not for clout, it's cause classics are classics for a reason.

OT though, Nintendo diehards generally eat up whatever Nintendo throws them. I don't get it myself but it is what it is. I lost my nostalgia for Nintendo during the Wii years. They are still able to make a great game but as a company overall, Nintendo treats their fans like dirt and does the bare minimum when they're successful. Struggling Nintendo is the best Nintendo.

radewagon

People want to be able to play older games without:
  • Busting out old hardware
  • Buying old hardware (retro prices are insane right now too)
  • Worrying about compatibility of said hardware with newer technology
  • Digging up an old copy
  • Buying an old copy (see: retro prices problem)
  • Putting up with the jankiness of older 3D titles
  • Etc. Etc. Etc.
The Switch's use of cartridges and the incompatibility it has with older eshop titles has made the Switch a horrible place to enjoy older titles within the Nintendo ecosystem. People are rightfully giving Sony a hard time right now about the lack of BC, but Nintendo is doing far worse. Aside from the reasons I bulleted, it's also their failure on the BC front that is fueling a desire to get ports/remasters.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Don't worry too much about Nintendo's long-term future of software releases. The Switch is supposedly going to get replaced by a more capable Switch 2 this year.

Nintendo fanboys live in a very disconnected gaming bubble, where everything is cutsey and colourful and the same IP's get milked over, and over, and over.

Nothing wrong with it if thats your thing, sure isnt mine but each to their own.
The only reason to own a new Xbox is literally playing ports and remasters of old games.

Please with the "same IPs get milked over and over". Xbox's big move this year has been putting Skyrim and Fallout and Doom on Game Pass and low key hyping the next Halo. All ancient IPs.

It isn't a Nintendo thing and when people try and pretend it is, it's fun to point out the hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm what you might call a jaded Nintendo fan, bought the Switch and had 2 good years with it maybe 3. The last big game I bought for it was Animal Crossing New Horizons and will generally support Nintendo whenever I feel they put out a game with geniune effort put into it. I believe I also bought luigi's mansion 3 that year as well.
To clarify, I still think the Switch is a great system and on its own - exclusive software will still go down as a great system to me.

BUT

One thing that's really annoyed me lately about Nintendo fans though is the constant call for remakes and ports. It seems to have become really bad over the past 4 or so years. I don't see this with Xbox, Playstation or PC gamers at all. Or not nearly as much.

It isn't just reddit posts or fan posts either it's the Nintendo channels salivating over the idea that we could get a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD or we could have a remake of this or a port of this or that. I find it really embarassing.

I think Nintendo is going to have to change their strategy for their next console because chances are it will be backward compatible with the Switch and even if it wasn't, you cannot use the "give this game a second chance" argument because the Switch was a success unlike the WiiU.

My point is Nintendo fans should reasonably expect or demand new games but the fanbase is so beaten down over the years that a remake is better than nothing. I hope this changes in the coming years because it's getting difficult to be interested in Nintendo news these days.

Cause not everyone play everything on release date. I feel lucky to having the chance to play Skyward Sword finally since I never could play it before so I'm one of those happy for its announcement and not caring about BOTW2 at the moment due to that.

I'm also expecting for them to release a Metroid Prime Trilogy, that's also a new game for me that I never played but have always wanted to play.

I don't care if the game is old, just if I played it or if I want to play it. In the first case that makes it a new game for me.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Well, they've made some of the best and most influential games EVER so that's a reason. But it's no secret that pretty much some of Nintendo's best work came right as the Wii U was dying. They made some amazing games for the system that nobody bought, so it makes sense to get that untouched money. MK8 is the best selling racing of all time, for a reason. It is an amazing game, it just came too late for the Wii U.

That said, they've def. been dragging their feet these last 2 years or so, which is why I think we'll see some stellar announcements/release by years end or early next year. They've been cooking some things in the kitchen for the last few years and the ports have just been filling the void. Sucks if you've been with them the entire time as it feels like they are trying to milk consumers. But, it's a good enough reason to check out other platforms (especially PC) as you'll get more variety and not feel beholden to a company. It's the same reason NOBODY who really enjoys gaming as a hobby should I put stuck to one platform exclusively.

Last edited:
The only games that really need a remake in my eyes are the N64 classics. The early days of 3D console gaming have not aged well. Some of those games are still amazing despite this. Why not take advantage of technology to improve them?

Last edited:

Fbh

It's not just Nintendo fans? Sony and Microsoft fans are also constantly talking about remakes, remasters or next gen patches.
Ps5 literally launched with a remake as its main exclusive and Microsoft has really been pushing the concept of playing enhanced backwards compatible games. Sony ended their last state of play with the announcement of an enhanced port of a remake of FF7.

Also keep in mind the Switch is the first Nintendo console in quite some time with zero backwards compatibility.
Nintendo had usually done a good job of at least supporting the previous gen on their new machine. You know how Wii could Play Gamecube Games, WiiU could play Wii games or how 3DS could play DS games. But Switch has none of that, so of course more people will want ports.

ultrazilla

BUT

I know I'm always wanting them to remaster/remake their games because often the original games were released on inferior hardware compared to what they have out currently.
Wii U to Switch for example.

Heck, just wait for the Switch Pro to come out and watch the avalanche of remasters and ports being released for that one!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nightdive, gog and all kinds of companies don't thrive on offering old games, enhanced or as they were, we didn't just have a thread about the Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, the previous games didn't get Reduxed, Halo:The MCC wasn't big over two gens. You're not an out of touch casual hating on perceived "enemy" fans and using the "Switch has no games" meme because it doesn't hurt you it's not dominating all charts, it didn't just get a hugely successful Monster Hunter and isn't getting another JRPG spin off and more. Lol @ multiplatform games, whether belated or not, being seen as "ports" for the Switch. As a PC gamer the one console I'd get (yet haven't) is Switch. The rest is "ports" and summer blockbuster trivialities. It was good when I had PC + Wii. I never had a NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii U, DS, 3DS, GBA. I did have a Game Boy as everyone. So, far from a fan. Sega ftw. How do you quantify it's fans asking for these (and asking them more than other fans) anyway? I see plenty who aren't fans asking for it because as they aren't fans they didn't get them, or they pretend that's what it'd take to become fans because they too pretend all their new great games, sequels or not, don't exist. Switch sold on brand new entries like BOTW, Odyssey and Splatoon 2 and new IP like ARMS but no, gotta downplay it and make it all about Ocarina of Time (which isn't on it, yet), as if Myst, Doom and all true classics aren't also on every system, no.

Last edited:

Handel

Nintendo has an amazing back catalog, the best in all of gaming, but a lot of that is hard to access due to it being limited to old hardware and/or expensive to get a copy of. Not everyone was capable of playing every game for every system under the sun back in the time it came out, hell during the widely thought of best gen with PS2/GC/OG Xbox gamers that are just hitting their 20s now were too young to experience/know about many of these games.

Accessibility is never a bad thing, only Sony fans conditioned to hate BC complain about these kinds of things, then praise Sony for remaking a game less than a decade old.

mcjmetroid

Why do people pretend it is just Nintendo? Aren’t they about to be selling GTAV as new on the third consecutive console?
It is mostly just Nintendo.
Yes Sony and Microsoft do this as well but their fans often don't treat it as the next coming of christ when it gets announced.

Have you ever seen a port of a Ps3 game appear on PS4 and get any attention from fans?
Well first of all the concept of releasing a game from the previous generation completely unchanged for new hardware is exclusively a Nintendo thing but even if someone on Playstation did it... they'd be laughed out of it.

Also on GTA V: Was there any fans asking for this? I'm sure there was but nothing compared to:
"Metroid Prime Trilogy"
or
"Remake Zelda Oracle of seasons/ages"
or
"Remake Ocarina of time"

Also GTAV will be a free update as far as I'm aware, something Nintendo doesn't know the meaning of.

mcjmetroid

Yeah I definitely haven't seen anyone asking for a Bloodborne port ever
Oh you found an exception to my otherwise perfect OP.

People are asking for Bloodborne yes that is true.

When that comes though it's going to have a wealth of improvments.. they won't just " port " it.

Bodomism

Banned
It is mostly just Nintendo.
Yes Sony and Microsoft do this as well but their fans often don't treat it as the next coming of christ when it gets announced.

Have you ever seen a port of a Ps3 game appear on PS4 and get any attention from fans?
Well first of all the concept of releasing a game from the previous generation completely unchanged for new hardware is exclusively a Nintendo thing but even if someone on Playstation did it... they'd be laughed out of it.

Also on GTA V: Was there any fans asking for this? I'm sure there was but nothing compared to:
"Metroid Prime Trilogy"
or
"Remake Zelda Oracle of seasons/ages"
or
"Remake Ocarina of time"

Also GTAV will be a free update as far as I'm aware, something Nintendo doesn't know the meaning of.
My prediction for the best selling games of PS5 and XSX

1. GTAVI
2. GTAV
3. COD 2022
4. COD 2021
5. FIFA 2023
6. COD 2024
7. FIFA 2022
8. COD 2024
9. FIFA 2021
10.COD Remastered

Nintendo will keep remaking every Zelda game as many times as people keep buying them.
The Nintendo audience is all about that nostalgia.

Woopah

BUT

I don't understand the demand for remasters either, but as other people in the thread have said this is something many companies are doing. Ninja Gaiden and other Koei Tecmo games got remasters, Nier and a bunch of other Square Enix games are getting remasters. Basically, the older a publisher is the more games they have in their history so the more remakes/remasters they do.

As long as Nintendo also publishes new games I don't really care how many remaster they do. I'm also fine if it's a remake of a game that never made it out of Japan

Remasters and remakes sell well so clearly there is market for them, even if me and you aren't in that market.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Have you seen how expensive some old Nintendo games are?

I’m shocked they haven’t done a “Gamecube All Stars” product line and sucked some of the momentum out of the retro market. That’s basically giant amounts of money circulating among collectors without Nintendo getting a taste because they’re under serving the fanbase.

Drop Fire Emblem, Chibi Robo, and Paper Mario onto a single Switch cart already.

Chukhopops

What a ridiculous thread, remasters are absolutely everywhere and as long as people buy them there will be devs to produce them. It has nothing to do with Nintendo specifically.

MacVmwq.jpg

P4ky3Wo.jpg

I2zbiPI.jpg
8b3Zw4w.jpg

Edit : Can’t add more pictures but you can of course add GTAV, Heavy Rain and many others.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I don't get it. GBA was so lame since so may games were just ports of SNES games.

Switch is now a Wii U machine when it comes to first party games.

I owned probably 200 dollars worth of VC games on my wii and when it broke there was nothing the company could do.

I just hold onto my systems now. I'd rather play on real hardware anyways than play a port of something.

Tmack

Because nintendo consoles are always a bit underpowered and people would love to replay their great games in current state or the art graphics?

Alexios

I think

You think they'd port the game directly, add nothing and charge full price for it?

Is your opinion on fromsoft that low?
So remakes (which Bloodborne won't be) and remasters (which you'll probably stoop low enough to say that because they fix the frame rate and resolution it's suddenly good work, when we know some minor fan hacks alone can fix all that) don't count and this is about the barebones 1:1 ports?

Why are they all lumped together in the thread title and whole point in your OP then, lol? Oh yeah, because you know they haven't actually released that many 1:1 ports I guess. There's a few in the Mario collection and they had things like the OoT Master Quest on GameCube, few and far between.

Last edited:

Tg89

The reason you don't see the same craving with Sony/MS is because Sony and MS already remaster almost everything they can justify doing lol.

The few games on those platforms that don't get remastered do tend to have people asking for them. (Bloodborne, Dark Souls for a long time, despite those games not being very old...)

Pretty much every "great" game from PS1/2 has had a remaster of some sort. Whereas N64/GC have a number of timeless classics that haven't seen the same treatment.

Last edited:

SegaShack

Something else thats odd, Wii U had a great DS emulator but only a few games were released for it. I'm glad I modded mine.

SinDelta

Remakes can be awesome.

Edit -

Age of Empires DE
Age of Empires 2 DE
Demon Souls Remake
Links Awakening Remake
Ocarina of Time 3DS
Odin Sphere: Luftrauser
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Starcraft Remastered
Trials of Mana
Xenoblade Chronicles DE

Just to name a few.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I also think people mistakenly believe that a remake of a game they loved will somehow recapture their childhood. Even though remakes age like milk and the originals are what stands the test of time.

Alexios

I also think people mistakenly believe that a remake of a game they loved will somehow recapture their childhood. Even though remakes age like milk and the originals are what stands the test of time.
Hard to go back to N64 OoT. On 3DS it's lovely. Technically it was outdated the day it released but the enhanced graphics are cute and the framerate far more playable so, I know I'll be emulating that for decades if it's never again remade, but never go back to the N64 (or its 1:1 ports). But once again, the OP lumps together remasters and ports too, both of which won't age worse than the original (unless the remaster somehow botched some aspect of course, but usually they don't, they just increase resolution and maybe fix up some textures etc., remakes are more prone to problems).

Last edited:
Top Bottom